Torque is what I like to convert
5 star dominance I like to assert

The heart of the numero uno formula,
has the same sized heart as mine
I am nearly silent inside but
To hear my heartbeat is simply divine

Although I am very utilitarian
I always cross over the finish line
And still accept a sporty title just fine.

So can you quantify,
Who exactly am I ?

We recently celebrated the 5th birthday of our automatic petrol 1.6 prefacelifted Creta also known as Blaze. The following is a detailed user experience of the car right from the planning stage through buying, servicing and modifying it for car camping while encountering various ups and downs in between. So please fasten your seatbelts for the long trip ahead.

Why did I buy my Creta ?

I do not know about others but here is what I did. Before that, here is a little background information. I have been around cars for most of my life as far back as I can remember starting with my Grandfather's Landmaster more than half a century ago in a nondescript place in upper Assam. My previous car was a 1986 petrol Mark 4 HM Ambassador which I used for almost 2 decades primarily all over North East India before selling it off (primarily due to the non-availability of parts) in 2005. We had quite a few memorable experiences with it and you too can read about them in the following link :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-...ml#post5205267 (1971 HM Ambassador | Lighting up our lives)
I relocated to Kolkata later where Ambassador parts are still easily available (since they are still used as Taxicabs here). I could have kept my car but decided against it as it made me emotional every time I looked at it since it brought back unpleasant memories about the untimely and tragic demise of my dear husband in a M&M vehicle.

Anyway, once I moved to Kolkata, I didn't feel the need for a car since Kolkata apparently has the best public transport system in India as per the Government of India. However, the urge for the freedom of owning a car was always there but the emotional baggage prevented me from owning one. And I was often looking at cars but would get dejected by something or the other like low bonnet height, poor design, non-availability of parts, expensive parts/repairs, lack of properly-knowledgeable people, etc. And like most people, the internet was not very accessible (read cost-prohibitive) for me. I was mighty impressed by the Ford Endeavour, Mitsubishi Pajero and the Toyota Fortuner since I first saw them in magazines.

Life went on and fast forward to 2016 when some favourable circumstances meant that I could almost afford nearly any car that a middle-class person could realistically buy and maintain. Thus began the search for a car either preowned with only one owner (more preferable) or completely new. I started going through the reviews and issues of the various cars along with the mandatory Youtube videos and the individual car owners' groups on Facebook. I had no idea upto this point that there is something called "Team Bhp" helping car owners (past, present and future) in numerous ways. I wanted to become a member but my application was rejected twice (I have no idea why). Thankfully, we can access the contents of the website even if we are not a member. I started going through the reviews and issues of the various cars along with the mandatory Youtube videos and the individual car owners' groups on Facebook.

But which car to choose ? Cars below 4 metres in length were out of consideration since I am from a generation spoiled by the roomy HM cars. Moreover, car camping in smaller cars is difficult. I started to approach the problem through a process of elimination. Tata was out of consideration because we had faced more than our fair share of issues with the Tata vehicles in our family including both cars and trucks. We didn't even think of adding Mahindra & Mahindra cars to the list because we had lost family members in them. The sizes of the Endeavour, Pajero and Fortuner meant that I couldn't use them regularly in congested city traffic and small parking spots even though they would satisfy my other requirements for car camping and highway travel. Moreover, I am averse to diesels (mainly due to their clatter) and these cars' petrol engines returned eye-watering single-digit fuel economy figures in the city. I did not even consider the Germans because I am not willing to pay exorbitant prices for the entire period of ownership with little or no chances of repairability otherwise. I did not consider 4x4s/4WDs/AWDs because I never felt the need for them despite driving on some of the most treacherous terrains of North-East India.

Back to the drawing board then. There is no guarantee about the type of roads in India. So sedans and hatchbacks were automatically out of consideration due to their low ground clearance. Obviously, we would have to compromise on handling but it is not as if we are competing in an F1 race on our mostly pathetic highways. This time I decided to approach it from the bottom of the rung. And did I mention that I wanted an automatic ? I did not want my son to face mobility issues due to incessant clutch use in the city. Anyway, the first car that I looked at properly in a long time was the Renault Duster (gorgeous looks ?) but it didn't have an automatic petrol option. Still, I thought that we could live with it. However, I was highly disappointed when it scored "0" stars in the NCAP tests. I was also looking at the Honda B-RV and the Hyundai Creta (1st generation) in the meantime. I liked the B-RV but I didn't like the fact that its automatic version came with a CVT. Moreover, the availability of parts and repairability may become an issue later since it wasn't getting sold much. And I absolutely hated the Creta's looks even though it ticked all the right boxes like a naturally aspirated petrol engine, larger than 4 metres, torque converter, etc. In the meantime, Jeep launched the Compass and I liked it a lot. But there was no guarantee of the availability of parts in aftermarket shops and service centres were almost non-existent. Moreover, my Grandfather always used to say "Never buy a car unless it has existed in the market in a relatively trouble-free fashion for around 3 years" and he was the smartest automobile enthusiast that I knew in spite of the fact that he was a medical doctor.

To cut a long story short, we had almost decided upon the Duster since it seemed value for money and were days away from booking it when the bombshell of "0" stars NCAP rating dropped like a bolt out of the blue. This is when the Creta started looking more and more attractive with its stupid grinning face. Due to its huge chart-busting sales figures, we were sure about its availability of parts. But we were still not sure about whether it would be easy to fix. This is when I accidentally stumbled across its service manual on a social media platform. After going through it for a few weeks, we realized that it was very easy to fix and technically very stable, unlike the HMs, TATAs and M&Ms that we had used all our lives. The Creta had already proved its build quality by scoring 5 stars in C-NCAP tests. Also, its bonnet height matches the ladder frame chassis of trucks and that is a big advantage on our highways in case of an unfortunate accident.

But we faced a big dilemma. We were seeing quite a few people complain about Creta's brakes on various social media platforms including Team Bhp and frankly speaking, we were naturally apprehensive. However, there was still the fact that the Creta was getting sold like hot cakes despite such complaints. Logic says that if a car has issues in something as critical as brakes then it wouldn't get sold as much as the Creta was getting sold despite the presence of other options. Hence, we decided to ignore such complaints and move on. Moreover, my son is not an aggressive driver.

Then came the question of Creta's unattractive looks. My son coaxed me by explaining that looks are for others to enjoy when I would be spending most of my time in the front passenger's seat of the car. I also told myself that I am not buying the car for myself since I cannot drive anymore due to eyesight issues. So what I should do is guide him to make the best decision and not make the decision for him.

However, this was also a time of financial turmoil since GST had been launched in India. The taxes on cars above 4 metres were reduced which kind of forced our hand or else we would have waited and researched some more. We also received news at this time of the upcoming facelift that was supposed to have a sunroof which we wanted to avoid. Anyway, we bought our brand new Creta 1.6 petrol with a torque converter automatic transmission in 2017 after researching for around one and a half years mainly on social media but without a single test drive. Sadly, we couldn't find used ones or else we could have bought it for much cheaper. But there is also the fact that new cars can be much cheaper to maintain in the long term than used ones. Our car has run for approximately around 52k kms till date and touchwood, we have never faced any significant issues with it. The car's looks have grown on me since we bought it (Stockholm syndrome ?) and we absolutely adore it now. I named it Blaze after drawing inspiration from a horse named Silver Blaze from one of Sherlock Holmes' stories.

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-new-car.jpg

We chose this car after meticulous research spanning one and a half years with my primary focus being safety, comfort, ease of maintenance, proven reliability, availability of parts, cost of service, market reputation, etc. My grandfather's words played a huge part in the decision-making even though he passed away a few decades ago. He was the one who taught me to drive in his Landmaster almost 5 decades ago. Sadly, I had to give up my driving license about a decade ago due to failing eyesight and my son is the only driver of my Creta now. Some of my grandfather's gems were the weight of the bonnet is a good indicator of build quality, the position of the bonnet of your car should not be lower than the ladder frame chassis of a truck, etc. Touchwood, I have never had to regret my decision.

Service Experience
Service experience at Hyundai ASCs has been rather bland but seamless. However, we were pleasantly surprised to be acquainted with very knowledgeable and competent service technicians at the second ASC compared to the pathetic ones at the first ASC which we had visited near my home here in Kolkata. These capable service technicians also have their own Youtube channels where they regularly post video guides about how to fix various issues in Hyundai cars for the benefit of both customers and aftermarket repair shops.

The car has covered almost 52000 kms. The car is based in Kolkata but has been to many other places in West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar, Assam and Meghalaya. Fuel efficiency on the highway ranges from 13 kmpl (with full load) to 20+ kmpl (with minimum load).

Here are the service costs that I have incurred on Blaze as follows :-

1) 1st service at 1.2k kms at Hyundai ASC for INR 0. Labour charge INR 0.
2) 2nd service at 10k kms at Hyundai ASC for INR 1071. Labour charge INR 0. (image below)
3) 3rd service at 20k kms at Hyundai ASC for INR 1260. Labour charge INR 0. (image below)
4) 4th service at 30k kms at home for INR 1803 plus approximately INR 70 for optional consumables. Labour charge INR 0.
5) 5th service at 40k kms at home for INR 1206 plus approximately INR 70 for optional consumables. Labour charge INR 0.
6) 6th service at 50k kms at home for INR 1220 plus approximately INR 110 for optional consumables. Labour charge INR 0.

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-bill-1.jpg
2nd service bill from 2018

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-bill-2.jpg
3rd service bill from 2019

The 4th and 5th services were performed by my son under my supervision but I didn't have to supervise him for the 6th service. Wheel alignment was done 3 times for a total of INR 800. Here are some images taken by my son while servicing various aspects of the car :-

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-consumables.jpg
Some consumables

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-throttle-body.jpg
The throttle body's intake flap after cleaning

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-sp-hole.jpg
Spark plug chamber

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-sp.jpg
Spark plug removed for cleaning

The average annual service cost of my 1.6 petrol AT Creta after 50k kms is currently at approximately less than INR 1500.

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-achipur.jpg

The worst abuse that Blaze had to face was when it had to cover the treacherous terrain of Meghalaya in a totally overloaded condition. The overloading was to the extent that it had absolutely zero suspension but we did not face any issues at all and the car covered the terrain beautifully.

Some positives about the car include :-

1) very low NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) levels
2) linear acceleration with 0-100 kmph in around 10.5 seconds due to the naturally aspirated 1.6-litre BSIV engine
3) very comfortable seats. Back-to-back 17-18 hour drives are not a problem at all
4) the rear seats fold down to a full-size flat bed for 2 adults
5) very ergonomic placement of things
6) good ground clearance
7) ease of tweaking, modifying and adding features
8) creep function is a boon in the city

Some minor negatives about the car are :-

1) does not show live fuel consumption rates but we added that feature using a Bluetooth-based OBD2 adapter. (video below)
2) does not have load-bearing roof rails even though that can be fixed with suitable aftermarket replacements
3) does not have driver's side grab handles on the roof in the front.
4) the wheel rim for the spare tyre is made of steel while the other four are made of alloys.
5) the rear middle seat belt is of the two-point type and not the three-point type like the other ones.
6) the power window buttons apart from the one for the driver's window are not illuminated but this feature can be easily added with some suitable genuine Hyundai spares.
7) the central armrest for the front occupants does not slide forward like that in the facelifted first-generation Creta but that can be easily added with some suitable genuine Hyundai spares.
8) the door armrests are made of hard plastics but that can be replaced with the genuine Hyundai door panels of the top SX(O) variant which have the softer faux leather pads.

More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...dai-creta.html (DIY : Viewing fuel efficiency figures in the 1st-gen Hyundai Creta)

Some of our experiences with our Creta have not exactly been hunky-dory. Here are some not-so-good experiences involving our car :-

1) During the 2nd service in 2018, one of the service personnel at the Hyundai ASC forgot to tighten one of the battery cell covers in our car after filling the distilled water. Thankfully, my son was right there and noticed this. The service person tightened it later after being reminded by my son.

2) During a trip to Murshidabad in West Bengal, we had a small accident for no fault of ours. We were going at a leisurely 35-40 kmph when a speeding truck on the oncoming lane hit a slightly protruding metal barricade which almost flew straight at us. My son braked hard and it barely scraped the front bumper right below the fog lamp on the driver's side. However, we felt a bump and heard a tinkling of broken glass behind us. A Toto rickshaw had been tailgating us and had hit the brake lights of our car on the driver's side after losing control. Sadly, we didn't have a dashcam then but thankfully, insurance covered everything apart from the claim filing charges.

3) During the 3rd service in 2019, one of the service personnel at the Hyundai ASC dropped one of the spark plugs on the floor while cleaning it. They were about to replace just that one when my son insisted on replacing all four for free. It took some convincing but my son has a gift of the gab and they eventually acceded.

4) I was very frustrated while trying to pay the 5 year road tax online for my car recently. It is a very convoluted process full of glitches and frankly, a royal pain in the behind. It took me and my son nearly two days worth of repeated attempts but we eventually paid the tax successfully. In stark contrast, it took us less than 4 minutes to buy the car insurance online.

5) In 2019 while on a trip to North Bengal, we almost had an accident when our car slipped/skidded on some differential oil and mud. Thankfully, no harm was done. Here is the dashcam footage below :-

6) A drunk tractor driver hit the driver's door of our car which was parked quite a few feet away from the road near Bankura district in rural West Bengal with the protruding axle of his trailer. The locals caught him and wanted to hand him over to the cops for drunk driving. However, he started sobbing and narrating his family issues which was apparently the reason for his drinking. In our experience, a drunk person is usually very truthful. Taking pity on his sorry state, we let him go but on the condition that he would never drink and drive again only after he had called one of his acquaintances to drive his tractor + trailer back home. Thankfully, we were able to fix the dent/incision ourselves for a cheap rate later at home.

7) Recently we had to remove the battery from our car. Due to the incessant fireworks on Diwali night, our house cat got scared, went into the engine bay of our car and hid there. Later we discovered that she had delivered substantial amounts of excreta over the engine and urinated all over the battery including its side. My son cleaned all of that by himself. When the area seemed relatively clean, he removed the battery for the first time since we bought our Creta in 2017. Apparently, there was still some cat urine left under the battery. We could have left it there but since cat urine is acidic, it would have corroded the metal parts. So he had to clean that too. Moreover, the putrid smell would have permeated into the cabin since the AC air intake is located near that location. As you can see below, the stock battery is more than 5 years old and still going strong, touchwood. The warranty on this battery expired in 2019.

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-45-battery.jpg

We have also had some very good experiences involving our Creta as you can see below :-

1) We have always had good experiences with Police personnel on the road irrespective of the State :-

2) The following happened while car camping in Garh Jungle in West Bengal and it is by far the best experience that we have had with Blaze :-

Modifications and additions for car camping

We have added a few gadgets and done a few modifications for our comfort and safety during car camping and touring as described and shown in the images below. Please note that all prices are in Indian Rupees or INR and inclusive of all charges like taxes, delivery, etc :-
1)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-inverter.jpg
Attached to the left side of the driver's seat is a 180 watt 12v DC to 220v AC sine wave power inverter from Aliexpress for approximately INR 800. On the right bottom corner of the steering wheel inside the fuse box is the Bluetooth OBD2 device from Amazon India for approximately INR 450. On the dashboard beside the mobile phone mount (approximately INR 600 from Amazon India) is the Solar Tyre Pressure Monitoring System from Aliexpress for approximately INR 1200. Above the mobile phone mount is the SjCam SJ4000 action camera from Aliexpress for approximately INR 3200 which we use as a dashcam.

2)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-12v-sockets.jpg
In front of the gear lever in the upper row is a 120-watt 3-socket cigarette lighter socket power splitter (approximately INR 400 from Aliexpress) with one socket occupied by the plug and switch for the footwell lights or floor ambient lights. This 120 watt splitter powers on and off with the accessory mode of the engine start/stop button. The lower row of the two 12 volt sockets along with the voltmeter and the 2 USB 5 volt ports is hardwired to the battery through the 20 ampere rated switch shown below and cost us approximately INR 300 from Aliexpress.
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-switch.jpg

3)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-puddle-lamps-footwell-lights.jpg
Puddle Lamps for each door running on 3 AAA 1.2v NiMH rechargeable batteries for INR 564 from Aliexpress
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5172417 (DIY: Puddle lamps install on my Hyundai Creta)

4)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-fridge.jpg
An IndelB branded compressor based 50 litre 45 watt car freezer refrigerator (-18 to +12 degrees centigrade) which is rated to run on both 12-24 volts DC and 220 volts AC power. It can actually run within a voltage range of 10.5-28 volts and has 3 different user-settable low-voltage automatic cutoffs. The compressor is made by Secop (formerly known as Danfoss) who were the pioneers in mobile direct current compressors for RV refrigeration and air conditioning. While car camping during the summer, we use 1-1.5 litre ice-bottles wrapped in towels as cuddle toys while sleeping in the car. The ice does not melt completely for approximately around 8 hours which is more than enough for a good night's sleep in the car. We use the ice bottles from this freezer together with some portable fans and those are more than adequate for sleeping in the car. We use this fridge both at home and in the car. The 220v AC to 12v DC power adapter originally provided with this fridge died last year after a lightning strike during a thunderstorm due to an electrical fault in our building. We have replaced that adapter with a cheaper one having the exact same specifications as the original from Amazon India and the fridge is working absolutely fine. We mount this fridge to the back of the rear middle seat after folding it down and then use ratchet straps to hold the fridge in place. This still leaves space for two adults to sleep on either side of the fridge. This cost us approximately INR 46k from Tropicool India and it is by far the most expensive addition to our car.

5)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-cabin-bulb.jpg
Replaced the 3 cabin lamps with white LED ones. The new LEDs are of the unbranded C5W model and have a length of 31 mm with festoon connectors. The pack of 10 lamps from Aliexpress cost us approximately INR 60.

6)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-pressure-washer.jpg
60 watt car dual pump pressure washer which can run on both 12v DC and 220v AC power. It can run directly on 12v DC but needs a 220v to 12v DC adapter when running with home power. The pressure is more than adequate to remove bird droppings from the clear coat on the car's paint and dried mud from the wheel area of the car. The pressure can be controlled for usage as a regular shower as well as a health faucet which is a luxurious boon when camping in the wild. It has an auto-cut feature too which shuts off the pumps when the handle is released and this is great for energy conservation. The pumps start again automatically when the handle is pressed. We got this for approximately INR 1800 from Amazon India.

7)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-tissue-box.jpg
A box of tissues mounted on the front passenger's side sun visor and a clothesline installed on the rear roof-mounted grab handles for approximately INR 90 and INR 40 respectively, both from Aliexpress. The clothesline also serves to hang a privacy curtain when my son is working at the front on video calls on his laptop computer. You can also see the small cushion attached to the front passenger's seatbelt which is very useful for preventing small cuts and bruises on the base of the neck, especially on longer trips on bad roads for short people like myself.

8)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-12v-massager.jpg
An electric massager with heating functionality consuming 27 watts at 12 volts DC is very useful for my old bones. I use it at home too with the 220v AC to 12v DC adapter that came with it. I got it from Amazon India for approximately INR 600.

9)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-12v-ventilated-seats.jpg
This is a type of partial seat cover that acts like 12v ventilated seats. This is powered by a removable 120mm 12v 1 ampere desktop computer case fan housed inside a centrifugal assembly that draws the cool (or hot) conditioned air from near the legs and pumps it to our back and behind. It has two fan speed settings and the fabric is washable by hand. It is an absolute boon in the scorching Indian summers. I got two of these for approximately INR 1600 from Aliexpress. The air pressure is slightly more than that of the stock ventilated seats of the top variants of the facelifted 1st generation Creta.

10)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-knee-cushion-pad.jpg
A cushion pad so that my old right knee does not get banged against the hard plastic on bad roads. Sadly, I could not attach a similar cushion pad on the left side because that is exactly where the door audio speaker is located. This cost me approximately INR 120 for a set of 6 from Aliexpress.

11)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-usb-fans.jpg
Personal cooling fan setup

We got a Xiaomi 20000 mAh power bank (actual capacity after accounting for conversion losses is around 14000 mAh) to power both 3 speed (3.6 watt each) fans for at least 8 hours or more while the engine is off. High capacity micro-USB male to USB male cable for charging the power bank through the Xiaomi's Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0 compatible 18 watt fast car charger to recharge the power bank as fast as possible. All the items from Xiaomi India cost us a total of approximately INR 1900 while the USB fans above cost us approximately INR 150 each from Aliexpress. This was our only cooling fan setup till we upgraded to the DIY 12v cooling fans shown below.
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5300701 (DIY: Fan setup for car camping)

12)
Name:  Storage spaces.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  75.9 KB
Added a few storage spaces to store various items like the power inverter, power bank, USB cables, USB lights, bottle for the wiper fluid, etc all for a total of approximately INR 240 from Aliexpress.

13)
Added a 50 watt monocrystalline solar panel with a 10 ampere rated PWM charge controller for lead acid batteries to recharge the car's battery while the engine is off. We have upgraded the charge controller to a 30 ampere rated one with support for lithium ion, lithium iron phosphate and lead acid batteries since then for approximately INR 950 from Amazon India.

14)

Added a DIY car cabin chimney/exhaust/ventilation system
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5237228 (DIY: Car ventilation / exhaust fan / chimney)

15)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-3-litre-drinking-water-bladder.jpg
Added a 3 litre drinking water bladder and mounted it on the back of the driver's seat for my son. I chose to get this for a wide variety of reasons. Unless he sits very low, it is nearly impossible to drink approximately more than half of the water in a bottle because the lower end of the bottle would keep getting obstructed by the roof of the car. He can only stretch his neck to an extent and adjusting the driver's seat while driving is absolutely not an option. On bumpy roads, a bottle can damage the teeth, gums and lips. I do know quite a few people who have faced this, especially on bad roads in Eastern and North-Eastern India. A bottle can slip from the hands (especially on bad roads) and land in the driver's footwell area causing an accident by getting stuck under the brake pedal which is not exactly rare according to survivor accounts. There is always a chance of water spillage causing a mess to our clothes as well as to the car's electrical/electronic systems not to mention the increased chances of rust/corrosion issues. Transparent water bottles have been known to start fires in the car's cabin by acting like a magnifying lens for the sun's rays. On trips, we often do not stop our car due to various reasons like security concerns, shortage of time, fuel efficiency concerns, slow-moving highway traffic, etc. But staying hydrated while driving is very important. As some of you may know, sipping small sips of water regularly instead of drinking in one go from a bottle allows the body to stay hydrated without having to answer nature's calls frequently and this technique is often used by endurance athletes, special forces, mountaineers, rock climbers, hikers, etc. Hence, the choice of a water bladder seemed obvious. Moreover, it is way easier to drink from the attached pipe in a state of sleep-induced near-stupor at night without causing any water spillage, unlike a bottle. This cost us approximately INR 600 from Aliexpress.

16)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-jerrycan.jpg
Added a UN-approved 20 litre or 5 gallon steel jerry can for carrying gasoline/petrol
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ml#post5192829 (Fitting the Jerry Can)

17)

Added a portable 78 watt DIY (RO+UV+UF) based water purification system with a TDS controller
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5122429 (DIY: Water purification system for use in cars)

18)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-taparia-ptb16-toolbox.jpg
Added a toolbox made by Taparia (Model number : PTB-16) for approximately INR 500 from a local shop. This fits perfectly in the space between the boot lid/door and the refrigerator without eating into the legroom while sleeping.

19)
Name:  portable power station.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  59.7 KB
Added a portable DIY lithium power station to power most of the electronic stuff when the engine is off and this is the pièce de résistance among all of our DIY projects.
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5380061 (DIY: Portable Lithium Power Station)

20)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-imgonlinecomuatwotoonejdk2hmahcl.jpg
Cooking setup

The one on the left is the tea/coffee maker and draws approximately 35 watts of power. It takes approximately around 20 minutes to make two cups of tea/coffee in winter. We place it in the front cupholder area of our car while driving after wrapping its base area with a small handkerchief to minimize heat loss through dissipation and prevent the plastic cup holder area from melting. The cover with the silicone seal is very important and helps to prevent spillages while driving. I got this from Amazon India for approximately INR 450.

The one on the right is the 100 watt rated rice cooker but it draws approximately around 109 watts of power. It takes approximately 35-40 minutes to make a meal for two adults. The steel bowl/tray can be placed on the top under the lid and can be used to make lentil soups, water-poached eggs, etc while the rice or rice-based dish like Biryani, Khichdi, Pulao, Kheer, etc cooks below. The lid has two carrying handles and a simple pressure/steam release vent and a metal plate at the bottom. The metal plate prevents any spillage while ensuring proper steam/pressure release. I bought this from Ebay India for approximately INR 1100. We usually place this on the "40" portion of the 60:40 split rear seat within the cooker's own cardboard box after tying the box down with the seatbelt. We use the box because that prevents excessive heat dissipation and also prevents the hot cooker from damaging the artificial leather or polyurethane (PU) leather seat covers. While sleeping at the back of the car, we keep it on one of the front seats. This cooker has a "Keep Warm" functionality too for the food.

This is my entire setup for making food and hot drinks in my car. Although both the tea/coffee maker and the rice cooker are rated for 12v, they work best between 13.6v and 14.2v. And we can use them with our portable power station mentioned earlier as well.

21)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-air-purifier.jpg
My son got this Philips GoPure (GP) Compact 110 car air purifier for me since I often suffer from asthmatic attacks. This draws 3.5 watts of power at 12v. This cost us approximately INR 3400 from Philips' brand store in Kolkata a few years ago. It contains a replaceable filter (Model : GSF120X110X1) that lasts anywhere between 6 months to 3 years based on the usage pattern. It is a multi-in-1 filter that claims to filter cigarette smoke, pollens, pet hairs, airborne allergens, dust, particulate matter (PM) 1 and 2.5, airborne virus or bacteria superior to 0.3 microns, etc. It also claims to neutralize and eliminate exhaust fumes, industrial pollution, chemicals emitted by plastic materials and finishes used in car interiors, odour-emitting substances, nitrogen dioxides, sulphur dioxides and total volatile organic compounds (TVOCs). The replacement filter costs approximately INR 1500. We use it in the car only when the engine is off or in winter since at other times the car's own air purification system works perfectly fine in conjunction with the air conditioning system. We strap it to the back of the front passenger seat's headrest as recommended by Philips.

22)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-vacuum.jpg
Added a 100 watt 12v vacuum cleaner from Eureka Forbes. It has a half-litre dust/dirt storage capacity and the suction is quite powerful. There are quite a few attachments that came with it for reaching into all the nooks and crannies in the cabin of the car. I got it for free when I bought my home vacuum cleaner.

23) Made some privacy curtains for car camping in my Creta. The fabric used to make these curtains is taffeta (double layer) which is the same fabric used to make umbrellas. So it is heat resistant (somewhat), lightweight, lightproof, waterproof and washable. We used some velcro strips to mount these curtains on the grab handles and the sun visors. And we attached some adhesive wall hooks on the high-mounted stop lamp housing to mount the curtains at the back. It cost us a total of INR 800 for the cloth material including the velcro strips along with the wall hooks and I cut and stitched them into shape at home. We also use net-type magnetic sun shades (for INR 700 from Amazon India) on the car windows for keeping away mosquitoes and other bugs.

24) We added a GPS tracker for approximately INR 800 from Aliexpress to an undisclosed location in our car.

25) Window visors were added from Amazon India for approximately INR 600 and you can see them in the image below in the next post.

The items from Aliexpress above and below were obviously procured/received before it was banned in India.

All of these modifications/additions above were done with the sole purpose of not needing to take out anything from the car for enjoying all of the facilities during a car camping trip while keeping weight and cost additions to a minimum. In fact, we do not even need to get out of the car for camping in it. This is a critical aspect if we have to move from the parked location fast. This is especially useful when we are on a tight schedule and do not have to go looking for hotels, resorts, etc. Moreover, there is no time wasted in moving the luggage to and from the brick-and-mortar room or tent, checking-in/out, etc and the money saved is the added bonus.

Washroom facilities are availed at nearby toll plazas, food plazas, government offices, banks, religious institutions, etc. I have even asked people for permission to use the washroom facilities in their homes and thankfully, no one has ever refused. We Indians truly believe in "Atithi Devo Bhava" or "Guest is akin to God" and this is irrespective of the people's religion. One may question the hygiene in public washrooms as opposed to private ones in hotels, resorts, etc but just because something looks clean does not mean that it is actually clean. If you have ever checked a hotel/resort room under an ultraviolet blacklight, then you would know that appearances can be very deceiving. Personally, as long as there is enough water accessible in the washroom, we can maintain our hygiene very well with a few basic disinfecting options. As for me, I have been car camping since the 1980s but thankfully, I have never faced hygiene issues due to a washroom simply because of my personal habits with regard to the precautions that I take

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 30th December 2022 at 13:12.
Chhanda Das is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 05:13   #2
BHPian

Re: 5+ years with my Creta

HOME IS WHERE WE PARK IT
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-20201015_101038.jpg

Some of my favourite tools that I keep in my Creta apart from the OBD2 device mentioned earlier are :-

1)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-jump-starter.jpg
Lithium-based compact jump-starter kit is especially useful for cars with automatic transmissions. This can deliver up to around 600 amperes for a few seconds. This can be used as a 12 volt, 16 volt and 19 volt power source too. It can be charged by the supplied 220v AC to 12v DC 1 ampere adapter as well as the 12v DC cigarette lighter socket in a car. It has an inbuilt seatbelt cutter as well as a glass breaker. It has a flashlight that can transmit SOS signals as well. There are two USB ports on it too.

2)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-tyre-puncture-repair.jpg
Tubeless tyre puncture repair kit

3)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-tyre-inflator.jpg
Michelin 12266 model 12v portable tyre inflator. It can be used to inflate bicycle tyres, footballs, basketballs, etc too. The best feature is its autocut functionality where the air compressor shuts down once the user settable tyre pressure is reached. It has an LED light output too which is a boon for reinflating a tyre in the dark. It also has a 12v passthrough output and a 5v USB output as well. The only downside to this is that the blue coloured plastic flap covers for the passthrough 12v socket and the USB socket have deteriorated and broken/disintegrated after all these years.

4)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-seatbelt-cutter.jpg
Seatbelt cutter and window glass breaker. The seat headrest rods can be used to break the glass but if the roof collapses then it may not be possible to remove the headrest from the seats and hence a backup device like this can help in such a case of unfortunate emergency.

5)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-3-1.jpg
3-in-1 portable pickaxe, spade and saw combination

6)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-jumper-cables.jpg
A colour-coded pair of jumper cables with clamps

7)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-towing-rope-hook.jpg
Towing rope with hook. I know the quality is not too good and I will replace it soon

8)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-combination-spanner-set.jpg
A combination spanner set

9)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-flathead-screwdriver.jpg
Flathead screwdriver, multipurpose safety cutter, pliers, nylon zip ties and measuring tape

10)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-crimping-tool.jpg
Colour-coded crimping tool with wire stripper and cutter

11)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-rachet-set.jpg
A half-inch square drive ratchet wrench set with spanners, socket and screw bits

12)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-combination-flathead.jpg
Combination flathead and Philips-head screwdriver

13)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-torque-wrench.jpg
A ratchet-type torque wrench with a torque range between 25 Nm and 135 Nm

14)
Name:  circlip pliers.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  32.3 KB
Internal and external bent nose circlip pliers

15)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-t-handle.jpg
Adjustable T/L handle with a half-inch square drive and 3 extension bars for it of 9 inches, 6 inches and 3 inches lengths.

16)
Name:  Spark Plug Gap tool.png
Views: 2329
Size:  291.4 KB
Spark plug gap measuring and adjusting tool

17)
Name:  Engine Oil Filter Wrench Socket.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  191.7 KB
An engine oil filter removal/installation socket with internal dimension of 79 mm with 15 flutes (sides) and half-inch square drive socket on the outside.

18)
Name:  Refractometer.png
Views: 2394
Size:  238.0 KB
I got this refractometer from Aliexpress for approximately INR 510 for checking the condition of the coolant.

19)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-brake-fluid-tester.jpg
I got this brake fluid moisture tester for free from a seller on Aliexpress as part of their promotional campaign.

20)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-adapter-sp.jpg
On the left is a pair of adapters for converting from a half-inch square drive female to a quarter-inch square drive male with a 3/8 inch square drive male-female in the middle. On the right is a 16 mm hexagonal spark plug removal/installation socket with a half-inch drive and a plastic spark plug catcher inside.

And here are three sets of tools for our car that we keep at home :-

1)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-bosch-c7.jpg
Bosch C7 battery charger

2)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-jack.jpg
A 3-ton rated floor/trolley/crocodile type heavy-duty hydraulic trolley jack
More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5215048 (Tools for a DIYer)

3)
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-jack-stands.jpg
Pair of jack stands rated cumulatively at 6 tons and individually at 3 tons each

Future additions/modifications

Some upcoming modifications are as follows :-
1. Somehow extending the length of the bed
2. Emergency bucket toilet with disposable organic composting bags
3. Drop-down hanging camping tent for showering.

We did not convert our car to a camper/RV/overlander/etc in the legal sense since that would increase the taxes substantially, not to mention the humongous amount of paperwork involved while navigating through bureaucratic red tape. Moreover, something more permanent like an RV or recreational vehicle draws unnecessary amounts of unwanted attention on the road. Still, for those of you who are still interested in legally registering your vehicle as an RV, please note that it has to have the following 5 facilities :-

1) a seating accommodation
2) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
3) a table
4) fixed cooking setup (with LPG, butane, etc gas)
5) storage facilities.

More details here : https://hmr.araiindia.com/Control/AI..._AIS-124_F.pdf

In summary, I have no reason to regret our decision of buying a 1.6 petrol AT Creta at all and if I had to choose a car today, I would still choose the same one. Here are some of Blaze's details that I found on Hyundai's Global Service Way (GSW) website :

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-vin.jpg

Please do not hesitate to ask for more information about my car or the modifications/additions mentioned above. Also, please feel free to mention any criticisms about any of the stuff above. And, I would be very grateful if you could kindly share some suitable ideas for further additions/modifications for car camping that do not involve legal hassles and/or paperwork. Thank you in advance and I wish you all very happy and safe drives ahead

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 28th December 2022 at 20:31.
Chhanda Das is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 19:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: 5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:19   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on completing 5 years/50K + KM!
This is the best iteration of the Creta we had in India. This was the first well appointed crossover in this segment with most things done well. Also, unlike the other cars in the segment, it offered multiple engine + transmission options and multiple trim levels, so there was something for everyone.

The 1.6 Petrol plus torque converter AT is the best possible combo in my opinion. No turbo, DPF or DCT to worry about. Best for someone planning to keep the car long term.

Quote:
My previous car was a 1986 petrol Mark 4 HM Ambassador which I used for almost 2 decades primarily all over North East India before selling it off (primarily due to the non-availability of parts) in 2005.
This reminds me of the story of our car. My parents also had a Mark-4 Amby in Assam, ASK 8 in white. The car was painted black after an accident wherein it fell into a roadside canal after a temporary chauffeur took a turn at speed. And guess what? After 32 years, we rediscovered the car, lying abandoned in the same city and area. I tried to acquire the car, but was unable to do so due to issues with documentation and the fact that the undercarriage had more rust than metal.

I posted about it here as well:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...assics-25.html (Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics)
Attached Thumbnails
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-fb3ee2e05ed743aba72bb61822da08e3.jpeg  

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-6879cd0e2aa148bf92e222c8df4d8772.jpeg  

Attached Images

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!! What a detailed thread written with so much passion and in-depth knowledge of every nut and bolt not to mention all your DIY assets fitted in. Your knowledge and aptitude for cars exceeds mine by 100X. Thank you for the effort and trouble to write this long piece with all the photographs to illustrate your points. May you enjoy many happy miles of motoring with your Creta.

I'm delighted to have a petrohead of the fairer sex on our forum. Need more of your kind.
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice and crisp review .

Even we have a Aug 17’ Creta SX+, in Sleek Silver with the 1.6L NA petrol mated to the 6 speed torque-converter. Our choice was between the Sleek Silver and Passion Red, got the Sleek Silver because my friend had picked one up before us and didn’t want to copy his choice even though everyone in the family wanted the Red. Although 5 years down the line we feel the Silver was a much better choice.

In 2017, we wanted to move to our first automatic car due to the ever-growing traffic in Mumbai, the Honda City and Hyundai Creta were our top contenders. Although we liked the City a lot, the low GC was sort of a deal-breaker. The other Honda car looked at was the BR-V, a 7 seater for OTR ₹1 Lakh less than the Creta SX+ P AT was an excellent proposition, in 2017. But the dated, all-black interior and a very basic infotainment system was a downer, although the space on offer was great!

The Creta is driven by my mom on a daily basis for her office runs which is a 4-kilometre round trip, hence the car has only run roughly 20,000 kms in 5 years.

Listing down some Likes and Dislikes after owning the Creta for 5 years+.

- Excellent city-roundabout car.
- Light steering and very ergonomic controls for city driving.
- Comfortable ride within city limits, suspension rounds off bumps and potholes smoothly.
- Even after 5 years the dashboard design and features available don’t make the car feel outdated at all!
- Spacious and almost square 400L boot space, used to its full capacity several times.
- Strong creep function is a boon in traffic
- At part throttle the car responds the best.

Dislikes:
- The light steering just doesn’t weigh up at higher speeds.
- The brakes are extremely poor for a 15 Lakh car.
- The car starts feeling like a boat, almost floating at 70-80 kmph due to the soft suspension. All these three factors combined together make it a poor performer out on the highway. So we haven’t really taken it out on the highway at all! 60 kmph feels like 80 kmph in the car!
- Press the throttle hard and the dimwitted 6 speed torque-converter starts behaving like a CVT. Where the RPM just goes up without a subsequent rise in the speed. Also wanted to point out that this AT box with the 1.6L Petrol engine takes 13.5 - 14 seconds to reach 100kmph from a standstill. The 1.6L Petrol MT reaches 100kmph in ~12 seconds, 1.6L Diesel AT reaches 100 kmph in ~11 seconds and the 1.6L Diesel MT is the quickest at 10.5 seconds.
- The gearbox saps a lot of power from 1.6L engine making it feel underpowered. Only solution is using the tip-tronic mode to make the car really move.
- Cross-winds affect the car really badly! Was driving on the BW Sea-Link and the cross-winds were seriously shaking the car.
- Hyundai’s lack of providing a top-end Automatic trim for the Creta back in 2015 till 2020.
- Absence of Cruise Control.

I was only 16 when we got the car so couldn’t really notice these problems in the car, but after learning how to drive in 2020. I realised never to buy a car without test-driving it ever again. Since the Petrol AT Creta was launched in 2016, No Hyundai dealer had it available for test-drive in Bombay even after being 6 months into 2017.

And after learning how to drive in a Ford EcoSport, driving the Creta never felt good. The rock-solid stability, handling, sharp steering and stiff suspension were the exact opposites of what the Creta offers. And although the AT Creta was supposed to replace our MT EcoSport, the above reasons made us hold it on for longer, until 2021 when we had to make room for our other car.

Love the fact that even after 5 years, the exterior design, dashboard design and features available don’t make the car feel outdated at all, and it is the perfect sized car for going about in the city, a great option if someone is looking at a pre-owned Creta:
5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-7869522f0faf4831b753be80340334cd.jpeg

5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review-0df59ada1f224a74adad818f0219eeb7.jpeg

PS: Sorry about hijacking your ownership thread and posting my own small review on the Creta

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 31st December 2022 at 13:54.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Congratulations on completing 5 years/50K + KM! The 1.6 Petrol plus torque converter AT is the best possible combo in my opinion. No turbo, DPF or DCT to worry about. Best for someone planning to keep the car long term.
Thank you very much. You have reiterated our thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
This reminds me of the story of our car. My parents also had a Mark-4 Amby in Assam, ASK 8 in white.
What a coincidence ! We had AMD 8 series Dibrugarh registered plates for our silver-grey Mark 4 Ambassador as well and its colour too was changed from the original white after the collision with the truck mentioned in the link earlier. Oh, I miss those square lamps, the baseball cap, the rectangular front indicators, the oval tail lamps, the sofa seats, etc. It hurts to see such a golden oldie in this condition
Chhanda Das is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 14:19   #8
One
BHPian

Very illuminating and enlightening thread, thank you for sharing in detail your setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
In fact, we do not even need to get out of the car for camping in it.
Is it possible to see your sleeping setup, couldn't gauge that other than the fact that there's a refrigerator in the middle for ice and a fan which helps in keeping things cool while sleeping.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 15:48   #9
BHPian

I have a 2018 Creta 1.4 D MT and a couple of other cars. My natural disposition is to find faults in cars, and that makes me grumpy 95% of the time while driving one.

However, the Creta is different. Try as I might, I couldn't find one fault with it - having clocked 120,000 KMs so far. It is everything that an India focused commuter car should be:

1. Practical
2. Very easy to drive
3. Easy to maintain
4. Decent build quality - no rattles so far.
5. Returns good mileage (~18 KMPL in mixed environment and load conditions)

Only one issue that my mum pointed out what that ingress and egress into the rear seat wasn't exactly easy as there is a sizable cut-out in the floor to improve leg-space.

I have mitigated it to a certain extent by adding carpet mats. But, I can't make it go away completely for the fear of comprising the legroom.
buzzy_boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 16:09   #10
BHPian

Your passion for your Creta is very evident in your detailed post!Thank you very much for penning down the details of your DIY mods and accessories very useful for a fellow Creta owner. Also would love to read about your camping experiences/ photos. Thank you!
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 07:51   #11
BHPian

Firstly, let me wish you all a very Happy New Year 2023. May you and your family have a blessed year

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Wow!! What a detailed thread written with so much passion and in-depth knowledge of every nut and bolt not to mention all your DIY assets fitted in. Your knowledge and aptitude for cars exceeds mine by 100X. Thank you for the effort and trouble to write this long piece with all the photographs to illustrate your points. May you enjoy many happy miles of motoring with your Creta.
I'm delighted to have a petrohead of the fairer sex on our forum. Need more of your kind.
Thank you very much for the kind wishes and for appreciating my effort but I am definitely not as knowledgeable as some of our fellow members here. I just pen down my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Nice and crisp review .
The Creta is driven by my mom on a daily basis for her office runs which is a 4-kilometre round trip, hence the car has only run roughly 20,000 kms in 5 years.

Dislikes:
1) The light steering just doesn’t weigh up at higher speeds.
2) The brakes are extremely poor for a 15 Lakh car.
3) The car starts feeling like a boat, almost floating at 70-80 kmph due to the soft suspension. All these three factors combined together make it a poor performer out on the highway. So we haven’t really taken it out on the highway at all! 60 kmph feels like 80 kmph in the car!
4) Press the throttle hard and the dimwitted 6 speed torque-converter starts behaving like a CVT. Where the RPM just goes up without a subsequent rise in the speed. Also wanted to point out that this AT box with the 1.6L Petrol engine takes 13.5 - 14 seconds to reach 100kmph from a standstill. The 1.6L Petrol MT reaches 100kmph in ~12 seconds, 1.6L Diesel AT reaches 100 kmph in ~11 seconds and the 1.6L Diesel MT is the quickest at 10.5 seconds.
5) The gearbox saps a lot of power from 1.6L engine making it feel underpowered. Only solution is using the tip-tronic mode to make the car really move.
6) Cross-winds affect the car really badly! Was driving on the BW Sea-Link and the cross-winds were seriously shaking the car.
7) Hyundai’s lack of providing a top-end Automatic trim for the Creta back in 2015 till 2020.
8) Absence of Cruise Control.
And after learning how to drive in a Ford EcoSport, driving the Creta never felt good. The rock-solid stability, handling, sharp steering and stiff suspension were the exact opposites of what the Creta offers. And although the AT Creta was supposed to replace our MT EcoSport, the above reasons made us hold it on for longer, until 2021 when we had to make room for our other car.

PS: Sorry about hijacking your ownership thread and posting my own small review on the Creta
Thank you very much for your kind words of appreciation. Here is a small suggestion, please drive the Creta once in a while on the highway. This is because your mother's usage pattern of the car is not even enough to warm up the engine properly. And this will cause certain areas like the exhaust pipes to acquire moisture condensation leading to rust issues especially in salty areas like the coastal regions of India. Additionally, highway drives also help to clean/maintain other aspects like the spark plugs, etc resulting in proper combustion of the fuel.

About the driving aspects that you do not like about the old Creta and/or its variants, I asked my son about it since he is the sole driver of my Creta. Here is what he said and I am paraphrasing here. My opinions are very similar to his as well :-

1) The steering is definitely light but it does weigh up adequately (not exceptionally though) at higher speeds.

2) The brakes are definitely good and touchwood, we never faced any issues with them. But we have heard of issues with the brakes, especially among aggressive drivers. This usually happens when the brake pads/shoes become glazed and that is kind of expected since the Creta was not designed for performance driving or driving enthusiasts. Another issue could be the presence of too much water in the brake fluid, especially after 5 years. So you might want to get that checked as well. If you find that the water content is more than 3% then please replace the brake fluid with a DOT 4 one since your Creta originally has the DOT 3 one.

3) For us that boat-like ride feeling usually comes when the car starts to approach the 120 kmph mark. However, the feeling comes much earlier as you mentioned if the "COLD" tyre pressure is higher than what is recommended for the load (additional weight) inside the cabin/boot. We feel that the Creta is a good highway cruiser.

4) Stomping on the accelerator pedal hard lets the ECU know that you might have mistakenly stepped on the accelerator pedal and it actively restrains the car from increasing the speed. This is a safety feature as per the service manual for preventing damage to the transmission. If you want to achieve the maximum acceleration, then you need to press the accelerator hard (not stomp) while exercising a little restraint. Please note that the peak torque can be generated at around the 4200-4300 RPM mark while peak power can be accessed at around the 6300-6400 RPM mark for all (MT and AT) 1.6 petrol Creta. Keeping that in mind along with the proper "COLD" tyre pressure for the weight, I firmly believe that you will be able to achieve 0-100 kmph speed within 12 seconds in your 1.6 naturally aspirated petrol Creta.

5) I never felt my old petrol Mark 4 Ambassador to be underpowered while driving it in overloaded conditions on some of the steepest terrains in North-East India and that car had approximately one-third the power of my Creta while weighing the same. My son never felt our Creta to be underpowered while driving it on some of the steepest roads of Meghalaya in an overloaded condition.

6) We experienced crosswinds in our car too but it wasn't too bad. Moreover, the speed of the car, the wind speed and the weight in the cabin are major factors in how crosswinds affect any car.

7) I completely agree with you that Hyundai India should have provided the automatic variants of the old petrol Creta in the top SX(O) variant with 6 airbags.

8) Neither my son nor I have ever felt the need for cruise control on our unpredictable and mostly pathetic roads, especially in Eastern India. Moreover, this feature can be easily added even though it would be expensive.

Please do not apologize for "hijacking my ownership thread" and posting your own small review because I am always happy to look at any Creta and read about my fellow Creta owners' experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Very illuminating and enlightening thread, thank you for sharing in detail your setup!
Is it possible to see your sleeping setup, couldn't gauge that other than the fact that there's a refrigerator in the middle for ice and a fan which helps in keeping things cool while sleeping.
Thank you very much for your appreciation of my efforts.
I will soon post an image/video about my sleeping setup. For now, here is a pen picture. There are mainly two ways that I can sleep in the car. The front passenger seat folds back nearly to a flat position. I can use it like a lounge chair and take power naps if necessary.

For a good night's sleep, I usually fold down the 60:40 split rear seats to make a flat bed that continues till the boot lid/door and sleep on it on one side over a bed sheet while the space for the rear middle seat is taken up by the fridge/freezer. Usually, when I am sleeping, my head is towards the front seat on top of the back of the folded rear seat while my feet touch the boot lid/door.

I have plans for making a foldable extension for the bed setup that can be mounted on the rear of the front seats as well for my tall son. I hope that I was able to explain the sleeping situation/setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
Only one issue that my mum pointed out what that ingress and egress into the rear seat wasn't exactly easy as there is a sizable cut-out in the floor to improve leg-space.
I have mitigated it to a certain extent by adding carpet mats. But, I can't make it go away completely for the fear of comprising the legroom.
I guess this would depend on the size and health condition of the person ingressing/egressing. Personally, I have no issues getting in and out of the rear seats since I have a smaller build but my substantially built son finds the egress part to be slightly inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Your passion for your Creta is very evident in your detailed post!Thank you very much for penning down the details of your DIY mods and accessories very useful for a fellow Creta owner. Also would love to read about your camping experiences/ photos. Thank you!
Thank you very much for appreciating my efforts. I will surely post about my car-camping experiences with photos and videos soon.

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 1st January 2023 at 08:04.
Chhanda Das is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 11:18   #12
BHPian

4) the rear seats fold down to a full-size flat bed for 2 adults

Really? How does one do that? i have one of the first Creta's on the road. Havent heard of this before. Please post pics on how to
Wheeliej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 13:25   #13
BHPian

I am in an awe at the level of passion, crispness and detail that you have mentioned madam and I feel genuinely humbled after I read your post. You are an inspiration.
God bless!!
jacobsam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 13:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
4) the rear seats fold down to a full-size flat bed for 2 adults Really? How does one do that? i have one of the first Creta's on the road. Havent heard of this before. Please post pics on how to
I am sure that you know that the rear seats do not fold down flat by default. So we had to squash them down by placing some heavy luggage on them for a few weeks during the initial period of ownership to flatten them. Although the length of the bed from the rear seat's top to the boot lid/door is adequate for adults of my height, my son has to keep his legs slightly folded on the other side of the fridge. I guess the photos/videos will make it clearer. I will soon post photos/videos about it as I mentioned to our fellow member One above

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
I am in an awe at the level of passion, crispness and detail that you have mentioned madam and I feel genuinely humbled after I read your post. You are an inspiration.God bless!!
Thank you very much for your kind wishes and appreciation of my efforts

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 1st January 2023 at 13:35.
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:18   #15
BANNED

Re: 5+ years with my Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
[center]HOME IS WHERE WE PARK IT.....Some of my favourite tools that I keep in my Creta apart from the OBD2 device mentioned earlier are :-Also, please feel free to mention any criticisms about any of the stuff above. And, I would be very grateful if you could kindly share some suitable ideas for further additions/modifications for car camping that do not involve legal hassles and/or paperwork. Thank you in advance and I wish you all very happy and safe drives ahead
Hello Chhanda Das,
What a wonderful thread! And thank god, T-BHP has is getting decent representation from the fairer sex. I’m a retired marine engineer and have always taken pride in my ability as a hands-on techie – and I have to admit that I’m very impressed with the eloquent record of the details of your work on your car. It is rare to come across anyone adding torque wrenches as a car accessory. Most of us are satisfied & complacent with the paltry tool-kit that comes with the car.

We didn’t opt for the Creta only because as an engineer I am biased against the FWD layout, except in small hatch-backs where this lay-out shines. We too (my wife and I) are dedicated to touring & have written an account of our trips to Uttarakhand (Naukuchiatal – Far from the madding crowd) elsewhere on these pages.
Once again, thank you for a great thread.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks