Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 04:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 58,000 kms Service Report

Did you check if the car is doing same speed at same rpm as earlier when problem was not there.

Try to compare your (100 kmph in fifth | 40 in 2nd | 60 in 3rd | 80 in 4th) speed with the rpm. Is the rpm same like when there was no issue or jerking or loss of pickup.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

The issue was a clogged fuel tank stainer. I had been telling the SA from the beginning to check the fuel lines/ fuel filter. He was concentrating only on ignition. If they had done it initially I would have saved a lot of trouble and cash. I am totally disappointed with Trident.

I did not know about this part. This is how it looks. Fuel Pump Suction Strainer - Removing, Cleaning, and Replacing

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
I face the same issue with my Accent too. I have run 39K KM and the problem is for last 5-6K KMs. The issue appears when I have to slow down and i try to pickup from there. the kind of speeds will be around 15kmph in 2nd gear, 25 in 3rd, 30-35 in fourth. The SA relates it to Clutch plates, but I am not very confident of the analysis though. Along with this, I also face a particular metallic whining sound, like a loose washer spinning on a metal rod during pick up from low speeds on higher gears.

Will get the fuel tank cleaned. the Filter was replaced at 37K, but will get that too replaced. Any other suggestions?
Check the fuel tank stainer along with cleaning the tank.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 5th January 2012 at 10:45.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 11:29   #33
BHPian

Good that you problem is resolved, I was watching this thread closely as my getz GLS is also at 42K.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The issue was a clogged fuel tank stainer. I had been telling the SA from the beginning to check the fuel lines/ fuel filter.

Nice to see your problem resolved & disappointing to see competence(or lack of it) levels of SA. Almost all the members here suggested check of fuel supply line & those stupids did every thing BUT that. Replacing plugs, wires, blaming clutch & what not. If it is the state of affairs at A.S.S. where does a unsuspecting customer go? Spending, rather wasting money due to incompetence of such fools is disgusting to say the least. . Any how, now that the problem is solved, it won't be a bad idea to get fuel tank cleaned as well & double check fuel filter, lest some residual dirt in the tank gets caught in the fuel line again. Also, make sure you don't run very low on fuel as it can result in fuel pump picking up dirt at bottom of the tank again. Happy driving, Cheers
nawalsingal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 18:41   #35
BHPian

Mrinal,

Did the fuel tank clean resolve the issue?

My cousin has the same problem with his accent and we have cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter. Accent seems to have fuel pump inside with no explicit strainer visible when we opened up the tank.

The pump had this cloth/mesh like filter as shown in the attached pic. The assistant mechanic who cleaned the fuel tank was not sure if that piece could be replaced. He just cleaned it with pressurized air.

Any idea if that piece shown in the pic can be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT: Sold-wp_000045.jpg  

Old 21st May 2012, 10:36   #36
BHPian

Bumping the thread.

The Hyundai A*S said the whole unit has to be replaced for 6000 odd and the mesh part (think Strainer) is not available separately. But we are sure we can get it fixed individually instead of replacing the fuel pump.

Also searched for Hyundai Accent spare parts list similar to MGA list but not luck at all.

Experts: Need your inputs here.

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

53000 Report

The car will complete 6 years in May. Overall, I am very happy with the car and it has been a reliable companion.

I have been servicing the car around every 5000 kms. I have been using Shell HX-5 oil and I find it much better than Servo used by Hyundai. I am getting Wheel Alignment and Balancing done every 5000 kms from an outside shop.

The only issue is that clutch has mild vibrations at lower gears for the last one year. I have not replaced the clutch as it is fine as per Advaith Hyundai. The mild vibration is because of flywheel. The estimate given for full clutch overhaul is Rs.15000 (flywheel, clutch plate, bearing etc) which is not necessary as of now.

Got the Air Conditioner serviced at an AC service center considering the hot summer. They wanted me to clean the condenser for effective cooling. So went to a garage, removed the bumper and pressure washed the condenser. I was charged Rs. 1000 for cleaning which is on the higher side. I was charged Rs.1000 for AC coolant filling. AC is very good after service and I am enjoying it considering the hot summer. It will be useful as I have couple of long drives planned during the next few months.

The AC service center found that AC filter is missing from the car. I got it fitted from Advaith for Rs.1700. Each piece costs around Rs.800.

Upgraded the headlamp to Philips 100/90 with relay. The brightness is very good after the change. It costs around Rs.1750 with philips relay.

I am filling only Shell after the clogged fuel stainer episode. I will have to relax this while going on highway drives.

I replaced K&N stock replacement filter with Hyundai stock filter as NVH had increased recently. After the change, I find the car very smooth.

Michelin XM1+ has been going strong after 20000 kms. It will last another 20000 kms easily. The ride comfort is good, though the noise has increased marginally.

There is mild rattling from the passenger side door over bad roads. It is manageable.

I am very happy with the car, though I find the performance slightly lacking with use of AC. Even though I checked Vento and Rapid, I was unhappy with the driving position, lack of dead pedal and overall space compared to Getz. Considering the resale value, I would not get a good price for a well maintained car.

I intend to keep the car for another 1-2 years at least. It meets my requirements well. All the spare parts are not readily available, but it is available on order in a few days.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 3rd April 2013 at 11:33. Reason: Type errors
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 16:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

The car is idling roughly during cold start - like a motor boat. The car is a little rough to drive for a few kms, then it becomes fine. Any idea what the issue is?

I got the clutch overhauled last week. I had reported the issue reported above along with hardness and vibration of clutch. The clutch issue got solved by replacing the clutch cover plate, clutch plate and bearing. The flywheel is fine as per the technician. I had replaced the water pump sometime back. I checked the coolant and refilled it. I will be taking the car to service center next week
Old 26th December 2013, 15:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Got the car serviced last week. The current odometer reading is around 58000 kms. I used Shell Helix HX7 this time. I changed the timing belt early to be on the safer side. The total bill came to around Rs.9500 (excluding engine oil and air filter), including timing belt cost of around Rs. 5000.

The vehicle is smooth and the power delivery is good after remap by Kiirus. The drive ability has improved a lot. The vehicle is as good as new, the only issue is roughness during cold start which goes away once the vehicle has run a few kilometres. Hyundai was unable to resolve it, it is better now, and I am living with it as it is gone once the engine warms up.
Old 27th December 2013, 12:56   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 58,000 kms Service Report

@Patiencewins reading your ownership updates only reminded me of my own. I have a Getz Prime May 2008, the last updated version before the model line bowed out of Hyundai. After 44k kilometers I can say it has been a very satisfactory ownership. The car seems to have been designed more from the heart than anything else. Things like arm-rest for the front, backlit glovebox, and 2 recline modes for the back seat was segment-first then and still is now. The almost-1.4 litre engine and 125 nm of torque makes it an ideal city car. The hydraulic steering and feedback is a purist's dream, you feel in control of the car. The suspension is pin-drop quiet, compared to the thuddy i20. Apart from normal wear-related issues the car has been a great decision. I will however begin to list the negatives in the next para and it begins with 2 words.

Trident Hyundai : The service centre is far from efficient, while the service folks are polite and smiling, they have learnt the art of talking too much-something I was always aware of. I still don't know much about cars but I learnt enough during warranty period to counter anything the service "advisors" planned to throw at me. Anyone dealing with a service station may find this helpful.

1) Engine additives : I say a strict no and make them write it down. It is ok annually at most, or when the engine seems a bit rough which I approved a couple of times since my running is low. Else they'll bill you for it every 6 months.

2) Underbody coating : Advisable only after 2-3 years of running, if at all. When they put the car on the hydraulic lift I myself inspected and saw no issue without coating.

3) Disc brake squeal : Advisor brought out his mighty pen and wrote down "disc pair replacement adviseable". Again I observed the car on the lift when they removed the tyres. I saw a clean shiny disc surface, no lip formation, no scoring. I looked at him and asked a little sternly "are you joking?". I then felt around the border and saw small particles of moisture-rust. They then decided to sand it with sanding sheet. Problem 99% solved.

4) Bearing noise : I never personally heard the "noise" they spoke of during service so i rolled the tyre a couple of times and saw their reaction change. They said its ok to carry on and 6 months later reported opposite side whistle and not the side they originally reported. This time I heard it on the new side but while it was low I approved changing anyway.

5) Clutch : Never felt hard to me, pickup is normal, no noise and gear changes were as smooth as ever. The advisor then says maybe because "newer models" are light he felt so. Joke of the year to me.

6) Engine vibration : Exactly the problem you reported. It runs a little rough for the first 4-5 km then it goes back to its super-silent mode. This alpha engine is a gem so I straightaway discounted that. They said hydraulic mounts are to be checked. I approved mount-adjusting/engine additive and myself changed the fuel station immediately. Its 1/3rd now. Will decide later if needed to get a 2nd opinion from another Trident branch (doing this will help you greatly in speeding up a solution as each person has different opinion). Maintain discretion when talking to a new advisor.

Sometimes the cars are more solid than we can imagine, like other Hyundai's the Getz too was designed in Germany and has a cult status in Australia. While Hyundai is pro-active, sometimes the service centers do not do justice to the company's vision. Disclaimer : Its only my opinion/experience and for most of you out there its always safer to side with service station opinion just in case.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 00:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Trident Hyundai : The service centre is far from efficient, while the service folks are polite and smiling, they have learnt the art of talking too much-something I was always aware of. I still don't know much about cars but I learnt enough during warranty period to counter anything the service "advisors" planned to throw at me. Anyone dealing with a service station may find this helpful.

1) Engine additives : I say a strict no and make them write it down. It is ok annually at most, or when the engine seems a bit rough which I approved a couple of times since my running is low. Else they'll bill you for it every 6 months.

2) Underbody coating : Advisable only after 2-3 years of running, if at all. When they put the car on the hydraulic lift I myself inspected and saw no issue without coating.

3) Disc brake squeal : Advisor brought out his mighty pen and wrote down "disc pair replacement adviseable". Again I observed the car on the lift when they removed the tyres. I saw a clean shiny disc surface, no lip formation, no scoring. I looked at him and asked a little sternly "are you joking?". I then felt around the border and saw small particles of moisture-rust. They then decided to sand it with sanding sheet. Problem 99% solved.

4) Bearing noise : I never personally heard the "noise" they spoke of during service so i rolled the tyre a couple of times and saw their reaction change. They said its ok to carry on and 6 months later reported opposite side whistle and not the side they originally reported. This time I heard it on the new side but while it was low I approved changing anyway.

5) Clutch : Never felt hard to me, pickup is normal, no noise and gear changes were as smooth as ever. The advisor then says maybe because "newer models" are light he felt so. Joke of the year to me.

6) Engine vibration : Exactly the problem you reported. It runs a little rough for the first 4-5 km then it goes back to its super-silent mode. This alpha engine is a gem so I straightaway discounted that. They said hydraulic mounts are to be checked. I approved mount-adjusting/engine additive and myself changed the fuel station immediately. Its 1/3rd now. Will decide later if needed to get a 2nd opinion from another Trident branch (doing this will help you greatly in speeding up a solution as each person has different opinion). Maintain discretion when talking to a new advisor.

Sometimes the cars are more solid than we can imagine, like other Hyundai's the Getz too was designed in Germany and has a cult status in Australia. While Hyundai is pro-active, sometimes the service centers do not do justice to the company's vision. Disclaimer : Its only my opinion/experience and for most of you out there its always safer to side with service station opinion just in case.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that it is an amazing car. I do not see any car worthy of upgrade considering the low resale value of Getz. I intend to keep the car for another 3 years. The car has given me a trouble free ownership and I have maintained the car very well. It is perfect for city and decent for highway. I agree with your observations; the hydraulic steering is a delight - I realize it when I drive the current cars with electric power steering.

Trident: I had been a customer with Trident for around 8 years (Santro and Getz) and could see the deterioration in quality. Some service advisors are not at all good. I shifted to Advaith two years back; service marginally better than Trident. The experience depends on the service advisor attending to the car - some of them have very poor knowledge.

Additives: I also do not get any additives. I use petrol additive - System G and OWS - to clear the fuel lines once in a while. I mostly fill fuel from Shell.

Under Body Coating: The advantage I find with under body coating is reduced road noise. Otherwise, it is not required in Bangalore, which does not have enough rains and not close to sea for corrosion.

Thank you for sharing the disk and bearing noise incidents. Will be careful.

I replaced the clutch sometime back as it was hard and slipping slightly. I think the replacement was early due to my wife, a newbie, driving the car sometimes.

I intend to check the engine vibration at Trident also. I am not much bothered as the engine is smooth after driving a few kilometres.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking forward to frequent updates from you. All the best.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 28th December 2013 at 00:37.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 20:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that it is an amazing car. I do not see any car worthy of upgrade considering the low resale value of Getz. I intend to keep the car for another 3 years. The car has given me a trouble free ownership and I have maintained the car very well. It is perfect for city and decent for highway. I agree with your observations; the hydraulic steering is a delight - I realize it when I drive the current cars with electric power steering.

Trident: I had been a customer with Trident for around 8 years (Santro and Getz) and could see the deterioration in quality. Some service advisors are not at all good. I shifted to Advaith two years back; service marginally better than Trident. The experience depends on the service advisor attending to the car - some of them have very poor knowledge.

Additives: I also do not get any additives. I use petrol additive - System G and OWS - to clear the fuel lines once in a while. I mostly fill fuel from Shell.

Under Body Coating: The advantage I find with under body coating is reduced road noise. Otherwise, it is not required in Bangalore, which does not have enough rains and not close to sea for corrosion.

Thank you for sharing the disk and bearing noise incidents. Will be careful.

I replaced the clutch sometime back as it was hard and slipping slightly. I think the replacement was early due to my wife, a newbie, driving the car sometimes.

I intend to check the engine vibration at Trident also. I am not much bothered as the engine is smooth after driving a few kilometres.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking forward to frequent updates from you. All the best.
Great to read the good experiences of Getz owners. I can also say with confidence that I am super happy with our 2007 Hyundai Getz 1.3 GLS. Our Getz has done around 50K and has been trouble free for all these years. The only cost was twice a year regular oil & filter change, which is around INR 3+K and that’s it. I have not used any special oil or additional engine additives all these years. Just regular unleaded gas. Keep tire pressure around 32psi year around. Used to get mileage around 14 kmpl earlier. For the past 2 years or so, have not measured the mileage since we are using it now as our 2nd car with very little (approximately 140 kms per month) running.

About 2 months ago however, started hearing some ‘squeaky’ sound when turning the steering wheel or going over speed breakers. Along with the usual wear & tear, a contributing factor in my opinion for these ‘squeaks’ could have been due to continuously driving on roads with huge potholes after monsoons and on-going construction work where roads are a real challenge to drive on year around in Hyderabad. During the servicing this month, showed it to Kun Hyundai. Was told that the bushing may have worn out and could be causing the noise. The technician serviced (sprayed oil) on the part where the squeaking seemed to be coming from. Surprisingly the noise reduced after the oil lubrication, but has not gone away entirely.

Was told to change the 2 front shock absorbers & suspension system. Could not understand why they would not only have wanted to change the worn out bushings. Then I ready some article that said, changing bushings only, is long & tedious, hence most mechanics take the easy route and recommend changing the entire suspension system. Is it true? I was quoted around INR 24+K for the entire assembly change. However was told that, if the noise did not bother me, I could keep driving for some more time. I am thinking of trying some garage like say, Carz etc. where the costs maybe more reasonable. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

Other than the above issue, our Getz is running fine. Still on original Goodyear tires and I have not changed the clutch so far, either. The Getz still feels nice to drive and in spite of all these years there are no squeaks or noises from any place in the cabin. Once on cruising speeds the car is very quiet & stable, the steering feels solid and the car sticks to the road. So in conclusion, the Getz is indeed a solidly built car and we really like it.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences with your Getz ownership so far. Look forward to timely updates.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 18:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Was told to change the 2 front shock absorbers & suspension system. Could not understand why they would not only have wanted to change the worn out bushings. Then I ready some article that said, changing bushings only, is long & tedious, hence most mechanics take the easy route and recommend changing the entire suspension system. Is it true? I was quoted around INR 24+K for the entire assembly change. However was told that, if the noise did not bother me, I could keep driving for some more time. I am thinking of trying some garage like say, Carz etc. where the costs maybe more reasonable. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do not know about the suspension bush. If you are referring to strut along with the spring, I think it comes as a single assembly - not sure about this. My suspension is a bit weak and I intend to change it in the next service. It is a good idea to take second opinion from other garages, but make sure you are using genuine hyundai parts.

I just came back from a 700 km drive post service. The vehicle is very smooth; sticks to the road and great feedback from hydraulic steering. The power delivery is good now with Kiirus remap. I love the vehicle more now.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 30th December 2013 at 18:32.
Old 30th December 2013, 21:27   #44
BHPian

Nice to have fellow Getz owners here

Mine is pre-facelift 2006 model, got the lower arms & stabilizer links replaced at 97,000 kms this September. All rubber parts were worn out. Lower control arm (complete assembly including all bushes & lower ball joint) were 1366 + 200 labour for each. Stabilizer link was 1339 + 100 labour for each. Ball joints alone were ~600 each.

Quote:
About 2 months ago however, started hearing some ‘squeaky’ sound ... the noise reduced after the oil lubrication
If the squeaking reduced after lubrication, the ball-joint's dust cover (bush in workshop lingo) is worn out. You might have to get the ball joint replaced as torn cover + dust + water = ruined ball joint.

Noise over speed-breaker could be because of worn components in the strut assembly also, mainly the strut bearing, costs ~1600 each. I will have to get the strut bearings replaced at next service in January.

Quote:
Was told to change the 2 front shock absorbers & suspension system. Could not understand why they would not only have wanted to change the worn out bushings...
Quote:
I was quoted around INR 24+K for the entire assembly change.
IMO, entire assembly change at 50k is not needed normally. And 24+K seems to be a very high quote. Ask them for some specifics. All the components do not fail together, at least not at 50k.

Go to an independent trustworthy garage and have a knowledgeable mechanic look at it. When there, have a look at the suspension yourself also, the worn out components are clearly visible. Failed rubber components like bushes, dust covers etc. would be cut/ torn, dampers would have leaked oil and heavy/ sticky dust deposits.

Quote:
...It is a good idea to take second opinion from other garages, but make sure you are using genuine hyundai parts.
+1
I think Hyundai has started over the counter of spares in some cities.
mn2363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 22:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do not know about the suspension bush. If you are referring to strut along with the spring, I think it comes as a single assembly - not sure about this. My suspension is a bit weak and I intend to change it in the next service. It is a good idea to take second opinion from other garages, but make sure you are using genuine hyundai parts.

I just came back from a 700 km drive post service. The vehicle is very smooth; sticks to the road and great feedback from hydraulic steering. The power delivery is good now with Kiirus remap. I love the vehicle more now.
Thanks for your suggestions. You are probably right about the strut + spring as a single assembly. Once I get another quote, I'll update this thread.

Do let us know your experience & associated costs to change your Getz's suspension, whenever you get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Nice to have fellow Getz owners here

Mine is pre-facelift 2006 model, got the lower arms & stabilizer links replaced at 97,000 kms this September. All rubber parts were worn out. Lower control arm (complete assembly including all bushes & lower ball joint) were 1366 + 200 labour for each. Stabilizer link was 1339 + 100 labour for each. Ball joints alone were ~600 each.

If the squeaking reduced after lubrication, the ball-joint's dust cover (bush in workshop lingo) is worn out. You might have to get the ball joint replaced as torn cover + dust + water = ruined ball joint.

Noise over speed-breaker could be because of worn components in the strut assembly also, mainly the strut bearing, costs ~1600 each. I will have to get the strut bearings replaced at next service in January.

IMO, entire assembly change at 50k is not needed normally. And 24+K seems to be a very high quote. Ask them for some specifics. All the components do not fail together, at least not at 50k.

Go to an independent trustworthy garage and have a knowledgeable mechanic look at it. When there, have a look at the suspension yourself also, the worn out components are clearly visible. Failed rubber components like bushes, dust covers etc. would be cut/ torn, dampers would have leaked oil and heavy/ sticky dust deposits.

+1
I think Hyundai has started over the counter of spares in some cities.
Thanks for your inputs. The terms such as;

"lower arms, complete assembly including all bushes & lower ball joint, ball joint replaced as torn cover";

that you've stated above seems to ring a bell....I did not write down the technical parts the SA was mentioning to be possibly replaced, but now that I read your post, my memory is jogging and seems like this is close to what he was describing.

Yes, I did see the "torn" cover near the ball joint, he showed it to me. Probably should have clicked a picture then. Also, now I recollect, he did mention something to do with the lower arm. Wow, you are so right!

So approximately, how much should this cost me using genuine Hyundai parts, if I were to fix it from any outside garage like Carz in Hyderabad?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd January 2014 at 06:45. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks