Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 14:22   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 81,449 kms Service Report

I was thinking about selling the car even though my usage is very less and highway drives are very rare. The main reason was the rough engine issue, which was there only during the initial few kilometers after cold start. It somehow got resolved on its own. Keeping my fingers crossed that it wont occur again.
The car is a joy to drive with excellent driveability for city and feedback from hydraulic steering. Determined to use the car for another 2 years at least, unless there are spare parts issues or more highway usage (kids have grown up and luggage is an issue).

Completed 11 years in May and odo reading around 88,500 kms.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 26th June 2018 at 14:24.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 23:14   #182
Senior - BHPian

Hi PatienctWins,
Not a bad time to sell the Getz if you're looking to upgrade. 11 years is tipping point, or I'd recommend you to keep it for 15. We got 1.25 L for a 12 year old car which had run 63k kms.
My parents sold both our Getz and Innova and bought a Ciaz automatic. Although I knew it'll be bland and boring to drive, they're happy with an automatic and the light steering. My dad loved the brakes on the Getz, he had to adjust to the Ciaz.

Moral: Don't expect a high resale value or a new car that is as exciting to drive as the Getz.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 19:54   #183
Senior - BHPian

Serviced the car today. Odo: 89500 kms

Engine oil gasket cover changed as there was a mild leak - Rs 860
All wipers (front and rear) replaced - Rs. 360
Fuel filter - Rs. 580
Air filter - Rs. 180
Coolant (2 ltrs) - Rs. 540
Consumables - Rs. 430

Did not replace engine oil as synthetic oil has run only 5000 kms.

Total Cost: 8900

Seems hyundai service cost has increased.

There is a very mild vibration and they say the engine mount is getting weak (total cost Rs. 11,000). Will get it done later depending on how long I keep the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi PatienctWins,
Not a bad time to sell the Getz if you're looking to upgrade. 11 years is tipping point, or I'd recommend you to keep it for 15. We got 1.25 L for a 12 year old car which had run 63k kms.
Mostly I will go for an upgrade next year. The kids have grown up and the car is not enough for highway drives, though it is very rare - once or twice a year. Other reasons are need for an automatic and SUV - high seating position and pothole/ flood friendly.

Getz is good enough for 95% of my usage in bangalore traffic. Only Creta seems to be an upgrade, but do not want to invest 17 lakhs on a depreciating asset which I wont be using much. Will decide next year depending on my usage.

Ciaz is a good vehicle, especially from space, ride quality and fuel efficiency aspects. My family in kerala uses Ciaz (manual) and I drive it often.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 24th August 2018 at 20:17.
Old 21st April 2019, 01:28   #184
BHPian

re: My Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT: 97,000 km & 13 years up

Ahoy ! Another proud Hyundai Getz Prime 1.3 GLX Owner from Kolkata

I purchased this in 2007 and since then in love with this. this is still our primary work horse for daily commute and even long drives too on highways with full on board.

The ODO has completed 90,000 KM recently while I am 7 months away from completing 12 years. I have driven the car in all sort of conditions and the car has gone through both its share of good and bad roads. So far only 2 major accidents once in 2008 and another in 2018 but no one was injured.

Hyundai built this car like a tank, the other day I was passing in this car by a playground and a tennis ball hit the car hard, nothing happened, reminded me of the countless times numerous things have hit it.

There used to be few years back too much water logging in here during rainy seasons and helpless as I am I had to drive the car through all those water logged streets to arrive home. Some times it had resulted in damages too but as a responsible lover I did take care of service regularly and at the first sign of problem replaced parts.

The hydraulic steering is a fun to drive on city and highways and makes the modern day electric steerings in small and big cars feel like fake / toyish.

The 3-5 gears are killers for the city traffic. The other day I beat a Polo petrol hands down who was trying to get past me in an open road. Put him to shame all the way. Not sure if it was a 3 cylinder one.

The AC, I keep servicing regularly, can cool the cabin within minutes and I love it. Also the dead pedal for foot rest and the driver hand rest are two of the out of class features that Hyundai only gave in this segment.

The only thing I complain is the suspension which i think could have been made more sturdy, mileage I can still live with.

Presently the car spends like 30k-70K per year depending on what replacements are needed

I recently changed the Engine Mount and that had made the cabin feel so much more silent like a new car and all steering vibration is gone. I wish if I had changed it earlier the steering column would not have suffered a damage. Yes there was steering column damage and new steering column for hydraulic category was costing around 50K for Getz so dropped the plan and got custom lathe work done to create replacements for parts gone bad. Working fine so far after 1 year.

I plan to keep the car for now though even if I upgrade I will not go for anything lower than a MPV with more than 5 to seat. The rear seat shoulder room and the boot space of 290 litres will give many modern day hatchbacks run for money.

The SA in service center keeps telling me that the build quality of this car and engine beats modern day Hyundai-s in the same segment.

Happy to know this thread for the proud Getz owners.

We will be in touch
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 22:41   #185
Senior - BHPian

97000 kms update (13 years):

I got the car serviced at 97000 kms; the car completed 13 years in May. Usually, I spend around 15k per year and the car has been cheap to maintain considering its age. But this year the service cost is 45,000; the full clutch overhaul, drive belts and front suspension link assembly work mainly contributed this.

I gave the car to hyundai service in outer ring road, bangalore. I requested them to check the clutch as the clutch was slipping during the nandi hills climb a few months back; on plain roads it is fine. The called me later to inform that suspension link, tail gate lifter and three drive belts need to be changed. Clutch is fine as per them, though a bit hard.

The suspension link assembly was out of stock and they procured it from another service center. They gave the car in the evening. Kudos to Hyundai for arranging parts from other service centers.

I got the vehicle serviced as my brother needs the car for a long drive, otherwise the vehicle was mostly lying idle with the current corona situation.

Items:
Front suspension link assembly
Drive belts (excluding timing belt which was replaced earlier)
Wiper blades
AC service
Tail gate lifter
Interior cleaning
Wheel alignment and balancing

As usual, I bought and give Shell Synthetic oil, so that is not included in the bill.

Total bill: 23,000

The next day my brother collected the car from my place and took it to his house. Later I got a call from him that the vehicle is just accelerating without movement. As he was stranded in JP nagar, we got the vehicle towed to JP nagar service center. Replaced the entire clutch assembly, only the clutch plate was replaced earlier around 70,000 kms.

As they did not have clutch assembly in stock, my service advisor from ORR sent it to JP nagar.

Items
Clutch plate
Pressure plate
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Brake oil
Gear oil

Total bill: 22,000

Total cost: 45,000

Towing cost extra: 1300

The vehicle should be trouble free as usual considering that clutch and minor suspension work has been done.

Also I notice that the spare part cost has increased considerably for Getz in the past few years. The regular mechanical parts like clutch also needs to be obtained from other centers.

With the current work from home arrangement and corona situation, the car is hardly used. I might replace it next year if there is usage. Also, the vehicle will have to go for fitness certification in 2022, after completing 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi PatienctWins,
I have entered the phase in 13th year. Mostly I will keep it till 15 years considering that I have replaced most of the parts and the usage is very less with the current situation. I do not see any long drives in the near future and the car is perfect for city usage. The poor resale value for a very well maintained vehicle is another deterrent to hold on to the car.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 27th June 2020 at 22:48.
PatienceWins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 05:24   #186
BHPian

re: My Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT: 1 lakh km & 14 years up

I too have a Getz 1.3 (GLS) that is on its 15th year and done close to 99000 KMs. I do service at a nearby FNG who seems to take care of it well.

Recently due to Corona, I was stuck in Bangalore and nobody in my Kerala home started the car. Last week I got it checked by the garage. Now I feel like the car horn is sounding different.

I can't recall how it was before. Have been using Vento for long. Is there any place where I can hear the sound of Getz OEM horn or someone would be able to share just to confirm whether it is my head or the horn that is sounding different to me.

I'm 50-50 about selling it soon vs getting NOC from Bangalore and getting it registered in Kerala. Wife has developed interest in driving again due to peer pressure and Getz is not the right car for her - need a small automatic.

Last edited by rejeen : 18th September 2020 at 05:25.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

I just came back from a 1000 km long drive and the vehicle performed very well. Easily cruises at 100 - 110 kmph with four people on board and boot full of luggage.

The wiper wash stopped working recently and I got it repaired for Rs. 800, labour charge as they had to remove the full assembly and clean it.

With the Corona situation, we are back to car from other modes of transport for distant travel. As kids have grown up the vehicle is not spacious for long drives (we are a family of tall people). Boot space is not enough at all. So I have decided to upgrade to an automatic SUV, mostly will go for Creta Automatic Turbo petrol early next year. Any recommendations will be helpful.

Feel bad selling this car, but parking is a premium in our apartment and we do not have usage of two cars. One of the best purchases of my life, the hydraulic steering and the planted drive with European built quality will be missed. Hope it will run many more years with the new owner.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 27th October 2020 at 16:14.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:42   #188
Senior - BHPian

The car has run 3000 kms only in the last 2 yrs, including two highway trips of 1000 kms each. With the covid situation, I do not see any usage for sometime. The current odometer reading is 1 lakh kms.

I just booked Creta diesel SXO automatic and waiting period is 5 months. I had initially booked Creta turbo DCT in March, but changed it to diesel now because of DCT issues.

Got getz evaluated by advaith Hyundai, ORR, and cars24. Hyundai quoted a measly 85k whereas cars24 quoted a decent 1.5 lakhs.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th June 2021 at 17:56.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:37   #189
Senior - BHPian

re: My Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

I just booked Creta diesel SXO automatic and waiting period is 5 months. I had initially booked Creta turbo DCT in March, but changed it to diesel now because of DCT issues.
Congrats buddy on the new booking.

Your ownership thread on the Getz is pretty much a "know how & what" about this hatch that started a whole new segment in India. I am not entirely surprised you decided to stick to Hyundai after these many years of Getz ownership.

Looking forward to your purchase & ownership experience of the Creta.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:41   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats buddy on the new booking.

Your ownership thread on the Getz is pretty much a "know how & what" about this hatch that started a whole new segment in India. I am not entirely surprised you decided to stick to Hyundai after these many years of Getz ownership.
Thanks buddy.

I have been a happy Hyundai customer for 17 years, Santro and Getz. Hope Creta will also keep me happy for a long time. I usually keep my vehicles for a long time.

Getz is still butter smooth with good driveability for city, highway stability and precise hydraulic steering. I feel bad about selling the car whenever I drive it. But do not have parking for two vehicles in the apartment and we do not have the need of two vehicles.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th June 2021 at 20:54.
Old 6th July 2021, 17:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Search going on to find a suitable home for Getz, one of the best purchases. Reliable workhorse for 14 years. So many valuable trips and memories.

The new workhorse came home today, Creta SXO Diesel Automatic.

My Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT: Sold-img20210706wa0013.jpeg
Old 7th July 2021, 01:08   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Getz is still butter smooth with good driveability for city, highway stability and precise hydraulic steering. I feel bad about selling the car whenever I drive it. But do not have parking for two vehicles in the apartment and we do not have the need of two vehicles.
In terms of torque, steering precision and feedback, and build quality+reliability, every Hyundai today is inferior to the Getz, not to say that they are bad cars, but Getz is just, that much better. Thanks for this thread, brings back all the memories specially since the world today is a much more different one than mere years ago.

Congrats on the Creta, since you're all a tall family, there is no better car today in the Hyundai line-up, the automatic diesel is the best transmission-engine pairing of Hyundai, turbo petrols with DCT will seem slow compared to the Getz, and they really are dull as ditch water to drive.

Bittersweet as it is, the Getz will need a new home I guess, just like mine did, even today I crave for that engine whine and massive torque from 10-60 in what'd seem like 2 seconds. Fantastic car, one that we'll remember for ages to come and talk to grandkids about how pure, brutal and fast, cars were in the bygone era.

Another legend exits the community
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 11:12   #193
Senior - BHPian

Sold Getz to a used car dealer.

Though I am enjoying the convenience of Auto and high seating postion in Creta, miss Getz in city drives. Getz is undoubtedly one of the best purchases I have made. Hope it will serve the new owner in good condition for many more years.

Mods: this thread can be closed as the vehicle is sold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks