Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 58,000 kms Service Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Yes, I did see the "torn" cover near the ball joint, he showed it to me... Also, now I recollect, he did mention something to do with the lower arm.
Actually the lower arm has 3 mounting points, one of which has the ball-joint. All three mounts have rubber bushes, so generally they wear out together I guess. So only by removing the whole arm can one see their condition.

Quote:
So approximately, how much should this cost me using genuine Hyundai parts, if I were to fix it from any outside garage like Carz in Hyderabad?
I got the parts replaced in September, so the prices should be approx the same as mentioned in my previous post; maybe +10% more in 2014 if at all.

Don't know about Carz Hyderabad, but Hyundai ASC/ Dealers have a list of labor charges displayed. You can compare it with Carz.

BTW, out of four Hyundai ASCs here, only one is okay with over the counter spares sale; other three refuse to bill without labor charges!
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
BTW, out of four Hyundai ASCs here, only one is okay with over the counter spares sale; other three refuse to bill without labor charges!
Thanks!

Can you please explain the above statement for my clarity...."other three refuse to bill without labor charges".
Does this mean, the one ASC, who was willing to conduct over the counter sales for Getz spares, and was OK for customer to buy spares from them and have them fitted elsewhere? While the other 3 ASC insist on spares being fitted through them itself.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:46   #48
BHPian

You are most welcome!

Yep, that's how things are. They say the system can't create a bill without adding labour charges!

The irony is that the ones who do OTC sales have very good staff & competent mechanics; so its redundant to buy from them and get it fitted outside. But I do get little DIY kind of stuff from them.
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:21   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. If the price differential between ASC & doing it in a private garage is reasonable, I'll prefer the ASC. However, given that our car is close to 7 years now, if the price difference is huge then will have to think hard.

Also our Getz, has done close to 50K kms. Now it is time to change the tyres too. I have the original Goodyear tyres currently and then have served well. So, also on lookout for new tyres as well. Any suggestions / recommendations on replacing Getz tyres?

Another dilemma with this is, approx. INR 20K for 4 tyres + around INR 30K for lower arm, bushings, ball joint, labor etc.; it is close to INR 50K, I am looking at spending. Also, not sure how much is resale value for a 7 year Getz currently. Now considering the car is 7 years; does it make sense to spend this amount (INR 50K) or trade it in for a new one? I know there are pros & cons to both. Considering the car is otherwise perfectly working and is being mainly used as a second car with around 150 kms a month running, wondering if we should keep it or trade it while it holds some value today. Thoughts welcome.
Old 4th January 2014, 08:04   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, not sure how much is resale value for a 7 year Getz currently. Now considering the car is 7 years; does it make sense to spend this amount (INR 50K) or trade it in for a new one? I know there are pros & cons to both. Considering the car is otherwise perfectly working and is being mainly used as a second car with around 150 kms a month running, wondering if we should keep it or trade it while it holds some value today. Thoughts welcome.
I got a trade-in valuation of 1.5 lakh for my 2006 Getz GLE from Ford. Elsewhere, I might be able to push it up to 1.75 lakh or so. I opted to keep it since its running just fine.

3 reasons you've provided for which I'd ask you to retain your Getz are:
* Perfectly working (with the exception of the suspension issue)
* Used only as a second car
* Only 150 km/month running

Any trade in will result in you spending more money to get another new car (more than the ~50k for tires/suspension) - do you really need to spend money to buy a new second car that runs so little, and is problem-free?

I'd suggest that you:
* Get the suspension looked at from a private garage too (just to inspect and provide a quote for minimal change required). mn2363's comments are very valid and useful.
* For the tires, don't replace them with brand new tires, especially if they're going to run so little. Check our TBHP classifieds for people swapping out tires from Hyundai cars (i10 Grand, i20) and pick those up. Or explain your predicament to a friendly tire wallah, who can also source you traded-in tires from someone doing an upgrade. In these cases, check the condition and the manufacture date (year/week) of the tire. This should come in cheaper than 20k. If you're doing any highway/high-speed runs, then you might want to opt for brand new tires, despite the cost.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 17:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:
...Another dilemma with this is, approx. INR 20K for 4 tyres + around INR 30K for lower arm, bushings, ball joint, labor etc.; it is close to INR 50K, I am looking at spending.
Just did some calculations from my bills:

Lower Suspension arms + stabilizer links + strut bearings + shockers would be ~11600 including labor. These prices are from Sep'13 & Nov'13.

Michelin XM2 175/70-13 were 4425/- in Oct'13.
Set of 4 = 17700 including balancing & alignment.

Total = ~30K.

But I reiterate, all suspension components generally do not need replacement with 50k on odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
...For the tires... Check our TBHP classifieds for people swapping out tires from Hyundai cars (i10 Grand, i20) and pick those up.
Good option.

Quote:
This should come in cheaper than 20k...
If you're doing any highway/high-speed runs, then you might want to opt for brand new tires, despite the cost.
New ones should be in 16-18k range. R14 XM2s should be 20k max. Other brands are cheaper.
mn2363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 19:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Just did some calculations from my bills:

Lower Suspension arms + stabilizer links + strut bearings + shockers would be ~11600 including labor. These prices are from Sep'13 & Nov'13.

Michelin XM2 175/70-13 were 4425/- in Oct'13.
Set of 4 = 17700 including balancing & alignment.

Total = ~30K.

But I reiterate, all suspension components generally do not need replacement with 50k on odo.

Good option.

New ones should be in 16-18k range. R14 XM2s should be 20k max. Other brands are cheaper.
Thanks a lot for the calculations you shared. Gives me a starting point when I finally take our Getz to a garage.

The INR 11.6K quoted should be a private garage, since for a similar replacement Hyundai ASC had quoted me around INR 25k - 30K. So this definitely helps as a starting figure when I take it to an outside garage for a quote.

Also, the Michelin's indicated above, how would these compare to Yokos or Bridgestone or perhaps if I were to go in for Goodyear again? Asking since this is the first time I will be replacing tyres and as such have not done much research.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Many people assume that Hyundai makes cars of a quality lower than Europeans. There are many things lost in translation here. Getz was a car with plastics quality and build quality many levels higher than the competition during 2004-2009. It had extra strength steel bars in the doors which made it a hatchback much more heavier and solid than even a few sedans of that era. The 288 litre bootspace beat every hatchback of 12.5 feet length. Modern hatches are 5-6 inches longer.

Now though I'll write a bit more on my favourite topic - ride and handling. The suspension according to me is perfect for city. I get bored in wide straight roads so I avoid it usually. Where this car shines is the curves and bends of narrower roads. I have no complaint about the hydraulic steering, it is tighter than EHPS and much more heavier than EPS but thats the beauty of it. The resistance the steering puts up when cutting through curves is absolutely beautiful, that little tug it gives to return the steering to straight gives a feel of complete control of the car. I wouldn't mind even if it were a bit heavier but as it is, its perfect. The suspension is a mix of sporty/soft but the car never once wobbled on the curves even with sudden moves. Its advisable to go slow on very rough patches because of the slight rough noise you get from the otherwise pin drop silent shocks but that's recommended driving anyway so no complaint. The gear shift is very very accurate but not super soft either, I get a satisfactory feedback of the gear engaging into position. The steering is sharp but it could be a bit more sharper for ideal cornerning. In the end these are just nitpicking, the car is a fantastic handler & as long as your legs and hands know what its capable of, its tons of fun.

I follow very safe driving, always having my eyes on either sides and the back and well under speedlimits (60) when driving in S shaped roads. I also never trail vehicles and leave about 20-30 feet so that I can move in a linear relaxed manner. The kind of driving joy Europeans keep talking about and even our Indian t.v journos who imitate them (unfortunately) is not possible in 99% of our roads. Proud to be safe.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 21:11   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Many people assume that Hyundai makes cars of a quality lower than Europeans. There are many things lost in translation here. Getz was a car with nd leave about 20-30 feet so that I can move in a linear relaxed manner. The kind of driving joy Europeans keep talking about and even our Indian t.v journos who imitate them (unfortunately) is not possible in 99% of our roads. Proud to be safe.

Nice post. Yes the Getz may have been slightly ahead of its time and very good value for money too. However, it was never marketed very well else it would have been appreciated a lot more.
I agree to your point that most of our Indian TV journos who test cars, imitate their western counterparts a lot, even sometimes, to the point of ludicrousness.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 07:39   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Many people assume that Hyundai makes cars of a quality lower than Europeans. There are many things lost in translation here. ...
I fully agree, you couldn't have put it better.

As an EcoSport owner, I find that the Getz gives me as much thrills in driving (some fanboys might hang me for such a comparison). I've normally heard that when you buy a new car to replace an old one (7 years in my case), you tend to ignore the old one. Not in my case, I still look forward to and enjoy driving my Getz.
* My Getz's suspension has become somewhat hard. While that's uncomfortable over bad roads, it has had the effect of making it a taut handler on the curves.
* The lower height (i.e. not a tallboy) and slightly heavier weight (due to structural steel added) give it a planted feeling on highways.
* Getz's HPS comprehensively beats the EcoSport's EPS for feel.
* Interior space and width are again awesome. When compared with my parents' Vista, the Vista narrowly edges out the Getz in rear seat space, but the Getz wins in boot space.
* Ford touts the EcoSport and 2011 Fiesta as having silent interiors, but I find that they are at most equal to my Getz.
* I've test driven the Eon and i10, and can see how they are a class below the Getz in overall refinement (the i10's Kappa engine is a bombshell, though!)
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 08:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

My Getz's suspension has become somewhat hard.
I have a similar observation on my 7 year old Getz. I was first thinking maybe that's how it was, but now I am seeing others comment too on the hard suspension part.

What is the recommendation? Let it be hard and drive it the same way, treat it someway to make it softer or may be consider replacing them with new ones?

Let us know.
Old 7th January 2014, 08:32   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a similar observation on my 7 year old Getz. I was first thinking maybe that's how it was, but now I am seeing others comment too on the hard suspension part.

What is the recommendation? Let it be hard and drive it the same way, treat it someway to make it softer or may be consider replacing them with new ones?
My suspension is hard in that it is jarring when I drop it into a pothole (and not just firm in a nice handling way), and it will be uncomfortable when there are passengers on the rear seat. In my case that is very rare, so I'm not in any hurry to address this.

While I've not put a timescale in place, my plan is to replace it with Tein or equivalent suspension (the cheaper & basic options, not the exotic adjustable types), and not Hyundai OEM kit. At the same time, I'll be looking at changing the various rubber bushes in the suspension to newer rubber ones (or silicone), along with the engine mounts. I'm pretty certain all of these parts will be either worn out or reaching the end of their lifespan.

I believe these changes will improve the vibration/harshness part of the NVH equation, the noise part is anyway great as it is.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
The INR 11.6K quoted should be a private garage, since for a similar replacement Hyundai ASC had quoted me around INR 25k - 30K.
These prices are from the work I got done at Hyundai Dealer/ASC in Sep-Nov'13 time-frame.

The labor charges in Chandigarh fall under 'Tier 1 city', according to the Hyundai's official labor charges list displayed at the ASC.
Maximum would be 15k; but the costliest parts are already covered & maximum labour is 400 per replacement.

Don't know why your ASC is quoting 25-30k.

Quote:
Also, the Michelin's indicated above, how would these compare to Yokos or Bridgestone or perhaps if I were to go in for Goodyear again? Asking since this is the first time I will be replacing tyres and as such have not done much research.
You can't go wrong with any good brand; but somehow Michelins tend to be priced highest in their size categories.

I have used 1 set of Pirelli P3000 & 2 sets of Yoko A-Drive till now. Thought I'd try Michelin this time. My observations:
- Driving dynamics, grip etc are almost similar on all.
- Pirelli were the quietest & lasted longest - but discontinued since.
- A-Drives tend to get noisy after about 10k kms & pick up frequent punctures during last 10k kms (discussed in some other threads on t-bhp).
- Michelin are only 5k old, so too early to comment.
mn2363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:46   #59
BHPian

Hello people,

I have a 2009 Getz Prime 1.3. It recently touched 42k and the clutch gave way. I replaced the clutch (or whatever it was) and i seem to have similar experiences as many described here. The car starts jerking at random - across gears and RPMs.

I replaced the clutch yesterday, and the car came back yesterday night. Today morning as i started to work, these problems appear.

I read through the above posts - my point is how come something that's totally not involved with transmission become the problem....

Most of you wrote that fuel filters/lines/tank/ fuel strainer/ is the culprit. This is where I am lost. I don't see the connect. The car is now at the service center where I have asked them to diagnose the issue in detail.
Old 10th April 2014, 13:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

I need to overhaul my suspension as the vehicle is not very stable and comfortable on bad roads. Are there any aftermarket options, like Tein or Koni? Has anyone done a similar work recently and what is the expected cost? Will just changing the lower arm bush solve the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post

Most of you wrote that fuel filters/lines/tank/ fuel strainer/ is the culprit. This is where I am lost. I don't see the connect. The car is now at the service center where I have asked them to diagnose the issue in detail.
Do you get the jerk while using the clutch or while accelerating without using the clutch? In my case, it was more profound while giving full acceleration after slowing down considerably. If it not while using the clutch, tell them to check the fuel lines, especially the stainer and the fuel tank for debris. They would be reluctant to do it as it is a painful job. In my case, they replaced ignition coils and spark plugs, blaming on clutch etc before finding the issue with the fuel stainer. All the best.

Most Viewed