Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2016, 12:24   #151
BHPian

re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 81,449 kms Service Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinBatra View Post
My situation is that car is giving me ~12 kmpl in city and 16-18 in highway .
And my requirement is better Performance, lower noise and not high mileage as my running is quite low
The engine has become very harsh and noisy over the last two services.
Also I just noticed that car idle has increased from 700 to 1100 rpm. Is that something to be concerned about ?
Have decided to visit Advaith as suggested, though I keeping my expectations from that very low .
BTW is it possible that I can contact you directly through a private message or something.
Hey Buddy. What's the mileage on the Odo? I had a very similar concern with respect to the noise creeping in around 80-90 kmph. But for me, it started when the mileage was close to 40k. I felt the noise was lesser just after the service.
On the same note, I always got the service done at Advaith, Banashankari for last 6 years.

Idling at 1100 rpm seems to be on the higher side. Not sure if you are aware-on a cold start the idling did hover around 1100 rpm but in a few minutes it would settle at 800 rpm. If it's always at 1100 rpm for you, you need to get it checked.
BTW, these figures are for 1.3 Petrol.

Also, once you are done with 25 posts and eventually clear your NEWBIE period, you will be able to send PM to fellow members.

PS: With a very heavy heart I let go of my Gem a month ago. . It's still with my relative and every time I see it, nostalgia creeps in.
autospeaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 00:30   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't agree more that Getz is a fantastic car , that's why I haven't upgraded it. My situation is that car is giving me ~12 kmpl in city and 16-18 in highway . And my requirement is better Performance, lower noise and not high mileage as my running is quite low
Lets get to the technicalities then, I am again, only guessing since I have very little information but nevertheless one must try multiple means to troubleshoot stubborn vehicle problems. I assume the car has done in excess of 70-80k? Also the mileage that you're getting is great, I understand what you mean since I've never bothered to check the mileage myself but I'd assume based on tank refills that its in the 12 kmpl range (100% city) as well. So suffice to say you're getting standard mileage.

Quote:
The engine has become very harsh and noisy over the last two services.
Was something done between the past 2 services? I know the ASC love to push decarbonisation, this process when ideally carried out, eliminates carbon deposits in the engine thus making it smoother, but when improperly carried out can disturb the normal workings of an engine since the engine assembly (pistons/chamber) have adjusted to working smoothly within the acceptable tolerances of existence of carbon deposits. Removing the deposits in this stage will make the engine run a little rough till the deposits build back up again. If none of this sort has been done, maybe you can look into changing the mineral engine oil to fully synthetic (as PatienceWins has done, if I'm not wrong). An engine flush might also have to be carried out (though not necessary in most situations) just to eliminate all simple possibilities of errors, before changing the oils. Another possibility shall be mentioned below.

Quote:
When the car was new I could cruise at 130 in supreme comfort and luxury It is so noisy (engine) and rough that now going anything over 75 makes it unpleasant in the car.
Getz has hydraulic engine mounts on top, along with base rubber mounts.. the mounts help with the supreme silence and lack of vibrations/noise, its one of the quietest cars ever. The thing here is that since over time due to exposure of engine heat, water sprays, temperature fluctuations etc the hydraulic mounts lose their efficiency over time and allow the engine to transmit vibrations more and more. This happens mostly after 7-8 years and 70-80k kms running but again depends on atmosphere. Mine is a little rough now, about 20% but nothing major. Perhaps you can look into this? Is the steering more shaky than before during idling and does the cabin rattle a bit when the foot is immediately off the gas pedal? If yes then it can be a partial mounts issue.

Quote:
Also I just noticed that car idle has increased from 700 to 1100 rpm. Is that something to be concerned about ?
This problem has to be solved before the above 2 issues as this one maybe connected directly with increased engine noise/revving and bad refinement. The answer is simple. The idle-air control valve is off, this part ensures that the engine in idle modulates the RPM's depending on load (aircon/stereo/ambient temperature etc) to keep the engine running and without cutting off. Drive without any electrical load first to see what happens, also if there is a propensity for the engine to cut-off or appear weak then this part may need adjustment or replacement, its located in the intake manifold.

A diagnostics scan will throw up any errors, so if you do go to the authorised station you could suggest them to do that as well. Also discuss the above mentioned possibilities with them. All the best.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:19   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Hey Buddy. What's the mileage on the Odo? I had a very similar concern with respect to the noise creeping in around 80-90 kmph. But for me, it started when the mileage was close to 40k. I felt the noise was lesser just after the service.
On the same note, I always got the service done at Advaith, Banashankari for last 6 years.

Idling at 1100 rpm seems to be on the higher side. Not sure if you are aware-on a cold start the idling did hover around 1100 rpm but in a few minutes it would settle at 800 rpm. If it's always at 1100 rpm for you, you need to get it checked.
BTW, these figures are for 1.3 Petrol.

Also, once you are done with 25 posts and eventually clear your NEWBIE period, you will be able to send PM to fellow members.

PS: With a very heavy heart I let go of my Gem a month ago. . It's still with my relative and every time I see it, nostalgia creeps in.

Yes you are right , the idle would settle down to 700-800 after a while for my 1.3 Petrol, now it's more like 1100 and I am going to get it checked today itself.
Indeed It's very difficult to let go of a Getz .
NitinBatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 10:36   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

I assume the car has done in excess of 70-80k? Also the mileage that you're getting is great, I understand what you mean since I've never bothered to check the mileage myself but I'd assume based on tank refills that its in the 12 kmpl range (100% city) as well. So suffice to say you're getting standard mileage.
The car has done 55k, being our second car the usage has been low.

Quote:

Was something done between the past 2 services? I know the ASC love to push decarbonisation, this process when ideally carried out, eliminates carbon deposits in the engine thus making it smoother, but when improperly carried out can disturb the normal workings of an engine since the engine assembly (pistons/chamber) have adjusted to working smoothly within the acceptable tolerances of existence of carbon deposits. Removing the deposits in this stage will make the engine run a little rough till the deposits build back up again. If none of this sort has been done, maybe you can look into changing the mineral engine oil to fully synthetic (as PatienceWins has done, if I'm not wrong). An engine flush might also have to be carried out (though not necessary in most situations) just to eliminate all simple possibilities of errors, before changing the oils. Another possibility shall be mentioned below.

. The engine decarbonisation was done 2.5 years back and it did make the engine butter smooth and ultra responsive, but the effect of that lasted only about 500 kms or so. They haven't done anything extra apart from the usual stuff of engine flush with oil change and additives being added, throttle body, FI cleaning. Yes , I am planning to switch to Shell helix ultra now

Quote:

This problem has to be solved before the above 2 issues as this one maybe connected directly with increased engine noise/revving and bad refinement. The answer is simple. The idle-air control valve is off, this part ensures that the engine in idle modulates the RPM's depending on load (aircon/stereo/ambient temperature etc) to keep the engine running and without cutting off. Drive without any electrical load first to see what happens, also if there is a propensity for the engine to cut-off or appear weak then this part may need adjustment or replacement, its located in the intake manifold.
I am going to the ASS ,make them address this issue and do thorough scan. Thanks for such a insightful response
Old 10th December 2016, 22:22   #155
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the activity on this thread. Thanks darknight for sharing your knowledge.

Quote:
Over last five years things have become exorbitant at ASS.
I got all four shocks changed and it costed me 8k including labor five years back
Now the same thing will cost me more than 20k !!
I agree. The spare part and labour cost have increased a lot. I do not mind much as the car is very reliable. Other than changing the radiator and clutch (because of my wife learning to drive) I did not have to change anything substantial in 80k, close to 10 years, of usage. I am spending only around 10k per year on service (including synthetic oil which I get from outside) and it is very reasonable. I normally service only once a year as my running is less nowadays. I have not visited the service centre since my last service 10 months back.

Quote:
Yes you are right , the idle would settle down to 700-800 after a while for my 1.3 Petrol, now it's more like 1100 and I am going to get it checked today itself.
Indeed It's very difficult to let go of a Getz .
This is not normal and seems to be the real culprit as darknight pointed above. Your noise/ refinement issue should get sorted with this.

My vehicle is much refined after moving to synthetic oil, Shell Ultra, since last service. It keeps the vehicle smoother for a longer time. I forgot to tell the technician to flush the engine before changing, but they said it is not an issue. A semi synthetic oil, Shell Helix, is also a good choice.

You are getting very good mileage. I get around 11 kmpl in city and 14 kmpl in highway (full AC and heavy foot). I normally cruise at 110 kmph on highway with full AC and full load (2 adults, 2 kids and boot full of luggage).

The driveability and performance have improved after getting the vehicle remapped by Kirrus. I did this a few years back as I wanted some change after using the same vehicle for many years. The vehicle will complete 10 years next May and it is one of the best purchases in my life.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 10th December 2016 at 22:24.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 23:44   #156
BHPian

Got the fuel pump bracket of my Getz replaced. There was some fuel smell inside the vehicle. Turned out that the fuel pump has a bracket, and the bracket has a hard plastic nosel. Due to the pressure exerted on this plastic nosel when the fuel is pumped and with wear & tear, it developed a small hole from where the fuel was spraying out under the seat – hence the smell. I was advised not to force fill gas tank after auto cut-off at the gas pump.

I was also told by the Hyundai ASS manager that only the fuel pump plastic bracket would need to be replaced, which costs around INR 600+. This type of plastic bracket replacement design is in the Getz & Verna models only, I was told. If the same issue happens in other Hyundai vehicles, one needs to replace the entire fuel pump, which could cost around INR 6K to INR 7K. The entire job took a little more than an hour and the issue is now resolved.
geotracks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 18:20   #157
Senior - BHPian

Serviced the vehicle today - the current mileage is 81,440 kms. I did not change engine oil as the vehicle is running on synthetic oil and it has run only 6000 kms since the last service. The mechanic also confirmed that the engine oil condition is good.

Total cost: Rs. 10,827.

All the drive belts were changed. The timing belt was already changed at 6000 kms.

The windshield washer nozzle was changed as the water was not falling properly on the windshield.

Radiator hose was changed as there was a leak.

Engine bay was lacquered. I was not keen on doing this, but the engine bay has become dull. So did not delete it from the job list.

There is a crack in the middle pipe of silencer. The cost of replacement is Rs. 8000. There was a crack 2 years back which I had fixed using welding. Planning to do the same for this one too. It seems the cracks are happening because of rust. Will have to replace the pipe if the issue come back.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 27th March 2017 at 18:23.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 09:12   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 81,449 kms Service Report

Nine years are done with, as I look back I see a lot of happy memories with the car and it has helped me make many memories by being reliable, rugged and a ton of fun. Hyundai really needs to be thanked for this car, not only does it have the space of a Honda City, it is as strong as a German car and has reliability that puts Toyotas to shame, nothing is better proof than the horrific hell-worthy monsoons that we've been having here and the car endured everything from falling foot long thick branches on the roof/glass, to mud, slush and flooding.. each time it needed a clean and it was back to pristine condition.

Its time for a change though, it may feel odd at first but it is long overdue, the requirements for space and conveniences have increased and maybe also in small part, its time for me to move on from the car which arrived when I was a wide-eyed, ingenuous student.

Here are the possible contenders in order of preference :
- VW Vento TSI Highline+ (good chance, only minuses being poor rear room and harsh ride)
- Elantra AT (good chance, only that price is a bit higher than I'd like)
- Upcoming Verna (need to know more before considering, hence waiting)

I'm comfortable parting with the car now, the time has come for the change and I can't wait for it. The need now is for a spacious, quiet, very comfortable to sit in car (I don't want hard-suspension car AT ALL). The Getz has gone for its monsoon service, its final one in my hands.

Adieu, my friend.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:32   #159

Quote:
I'm comfortable parting with the car now, the time has come for the change and I can't wait for it. The need now is for a spacious, quiet, very comfortable to sit in car (I don't want hard-suspension car AT ALL). The Getz has gone for its monsoon service, its final one in my hands.

Adieu, my friend.
Ah man.. that is a bit sad though I understand that at some point it won't cut the mustard anymore.

Mine is now at 60K exact in over 9 years. Things are starting to get interesting . Power Steering oil seal has a small leak and it's being ordered ordered from Hyundai (no guarantee of how long it will take, if at all). Indicators don't self cancel anymore and those have been ordered as well from Mumbai alongwith a new horn pad which is loose. The engine mounts feel like 40-50% gone which causes some extra vibrations when idling at a signal.
For now I've decide to keep this as the second car and buy an S-Cross or Ciaz/Verna. I'm leaning towards the S-Cross since it is like a big hatchback and it feels just about solid, even though I don't like diesels.

I'll try to keep the Getz as long as I can.
rahulp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 07:28   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp View Post
Mine is now at 60K exact in over 9 years. Things are starting to get interesting . Power Steering oil seal has a small leak and it's being ordered ordered from Hyundai (no guarantee of how long it will take, if at all). Indicators don't self cancel anymore and those have been ordered as well from Mumbai alongwith a new horn pad which is loose. The engine mounts feel like 40-50% gone which causes some extra vibrations when idling at a signal.
For now I've decide to keep this as the second car and buy an S-Cross or Ciaz/Verna. I'm leaning towards the S-Cross since it is like a big hatchback and it feels just about solid, even though I don't like diesels.
Guess these niggles in the Getz is common, atleast I had encountered those problems as well, only that the hornpad and right indicator stalk were replaced by them during warranty so it cost me nothing. The pinion oil seal leak will happen sometimes once the running is over 30-40k, the logic being that it being a seal around a high-pressure hydraulic line, will lose its hermetic property at some point and due to high pressure the hydraulic fluid will begin to seep out when the steering is in use. It'll cost about Rs.4.5k including labor and Hyundai should have the parts. The engine mounts may weaken after 50-60k kms but nothing that needs immediate attention, it'll still be one of the quietest hatches despite the problem but yeah you could change them all and make it like brand new. Hyundai service centres have a tendency to ignore old (but better) cars like the Getz so you need to do all the planning to keep it in good condition - air filter, spark-plugs, suspension bushes and fuel tank flush are needed at 60k (if none are done yet) and will breathe new life into the car, also the Getz begs for a tyre upgrade from the stock ones (Michelins/Yokos) and the difference in precision and grip simply goes into another level.

For a reason I've sworn off Maruti, they feel a whole step down when compared to Hyundai.. even if one cannot feel the difference immediately its there in the little things like how the door shuts, the button operation, the haptics, the quiet cabin etc.. Hyundai is way too European in that respect while the Japanese haven't yet caught up (I've test-driven an S-Cross and it was rattling at under 10k). Best to keep it to Hyundai or if one doesn't mind the slightly iffy after-sales and reliability, the Germans are a great option too.

Getz is a great car, and perhaps will be the greatest I've ever driven. Lets hope I'm wrong.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:30   #161

Quote:

For a reason I've sworn off Maruti, they feel a whole step down when compared to Hyundai.. even if one cannot feel the difference immediately its there in the little things like how the door shuts, the button operation, the haptics, the quiet cabin etc.. Hyundai is way too European in that respect while the Japanese haven't yet caught up (I've test-driven an S-Cross and it was rattling at under 10k). Best to keep it to Hyundai or if one doesn't mind the slightly iffy after-sales and reliability, the Germans are a great option too.

Getz is a great car, and perhaps will be the greatest I've ever driven. Lets hope I'm wrong.
Ah.. I was going to book the S-Cross soon (this week). The only other contender is the Skoda Rapid MT top variant. These are the only two cars I enjoyed driving (have TD'd Scross, Vento, Rapid, Creta, Verna, Ciaz, WR-V). The Rapid was the most fun to drive but the stories of after sales horrors sidelined it. The others were just about average (Verna above average but high speed dynamics are toss).

I am quite torn up between the two now!
Old 26th July 2017, 10:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nine years are done with, as I look back I see a lot of happy memories with the car...

Here are the possible contenders in order of preference :
- VW Vento TSI Highline+ (good chance, only minuses being poor rear room and harsh ride)
- Elantra AT (good chance, only that price is a bit higher than I'd like)
- Upcoming Verna (need to know more before considering, hence waiting)
Haha.
I told my parents not to sell the Getz till 15 years- till 2021. And they agreed. It's the second car in my house though. (I'll be missing it when I leave for Grad School)

Have to agree with all your points. It's a great car to drive (Against Hyundai Tradition) , I doubt we'll ever get anything as fun under <20 lakhs. The first-gen Swift is amazong too, but average brakes and lack of space make it an incomplete package.

The Getz is as reliable as the Toyota Innova we have at home.

@rahulp- Try Hyundai ASS for rare parts. Our driver seatbelt wasn't retracting. I called, ordered and was called when it arrived in 5 days. Called the SA, went to the service center at the fixed time and was out in 45 minutes including billing.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 26th July 2017 at 10:45.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 11:04   #163

Quote:
Try Hyundai ASS for rare parts. Our driver seatbelt wasn't retracting. I called, ordered and was called when it arrived in 5 days. Called the SA, went to the service center at the fixed time and was out in 45 minutes including billing.
Yes I've ordered them through the Hyundai Service Center. My local guy has given up looking for the horn pad. I can see that parts are getting difficult/taking longer to come by as time goes on.
Id like to keep the Getz for as long as it runs without major issues. Getting it may be the single greatest purchase decision I've ever made (esp considering the contenders at the time were Chevy Aveo and SRV).
rahulp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 08:37   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Have to agree with all your points. It's a great car to drive (Against Hyundai Tradition)
What you say is true if you're referring to the earlier generation i20, Fluidic Verna and i10, all three had loose steering, a suspension that just rocked like a boat even for minor lane changes and absolutely zero feel.

However you must test drive the Tucson/Elantra, you could do that in U.S. The Elantra has impressed me a lot, the Getz handles like a dream no doubt, because of the small size externally, the equivalent torque of an electric motor and a stable suspension I get tons of confidence to weave in and out of lanes. The Elantra on the other hand is simply, more mature.. it dismisses potholes and large stretches of rough patches like they're nothing, the sound insulation is on another level (shocking since Getz itself is pin-drop silent) and the Elantra is much, much more stable/rides f-l-a-t when taking on bad roads at good speeds, due to the longer wheelbase and overall a better put-together car. Hyundai knows how to tune their cars, I'm glad that the DNA they put into the Getz is there, just in their more expensive models.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:07   #165
BHPian

I agree and I have said this before, the Getz is a piece of art. Ours is around 60K and 10 years and drives great. The steering on flat roads at 'good speeds' and around corners feels very stable and grounded. The confidence of driving and pushing the gears (up or down) of the Getz, one feels totally in control.

These days, at the start each morning the engine is a bit loud, but once it warms up, it is quiet and hardly any vibrations. Also, unlike the newer Hyundai's (1-20, 1-10, Creta and even the Tucson etc.) which have a high body line which make the back window 'smaller' and thus more claustrophobic feel, the Getz feels airy and spacious with large windows. Really a gem of a product that Hyundai made at the time.

My service manager at the Hyundai workshop always has high admiration for the build quality of the Getz. He often says, this was the 'best ever' car Hyundai produced for the price at the time and that the newer comparable Hyundai's are no way near the Getz's quality and driving comfort.
geotracks is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed