Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 21:20   #106
BHPian

re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 81,449 kms Service Report

Our Getz is running as smooth as ever. With the new Yokos the ride has been super smooth.

Last week, the front driver's side window went down and wouldn't come up. Went to the ASS to check it out. Turns out due to wear & tear after around 8+ years of flawless service the 'regulator'?? needs to be replaced. Since the part was not in stock the Hyundai Service Center had to order this. Got a call yesterday that the part arrived. Will be replacing it this weekend.

Other than this, the Getz has been running real good. The Service Center head once told me that the build quality of the Getz is far better than any of the current Hyundai models. Very true, a solid performer all round.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 20:59   #107
BHPian

Hello All

I am looking for help/suggestions for all my fellow Team BHPians following this thread. My GETZ 1.3 GLS is 5 year old and the ODO reads 38450 Km as of today. I haven't missed any maintenance/service, till date. Clutch is as light as it was on day 1. But the steering is getting harder by day. Off late, I do not get the "wheels planted firmly on the ground" feel at higher speeds, which was always the strong point of GETZ! I even replaced the stock Goodyear tyres with MRF Zv2k recently. Condition improved, but not to the best though.
I had to travel abroad for a year, and the car ran only about 400 kilometer during that period. I am not sure whether this is the reason for a stiffer steering and the rolling of the car. Also, there is considerable amount of vibrations transmitted to steering wheel at speeds around 110-120 kmph. It increases on braking at those speeds.
The GLS variant neither has ABS nor the Airbags.
Now, these things are forcing me to think of an upgrade. Ecosport's Ecoboost is pulling me. Would this be a good upgrade from GETZ ? Are the negative points I am considering about GETZ, deal breakers? I think PatienceWins and ArunPhilip can help me in deciding.
Old 4th October 2015, 22:09   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
My GETZ 1.3 GLS is 5 year old and the ODO reads 38450 Km as of today. But the steering is getting harder by day. I even replaced the stock Goodyear tyres with MRF Zv2k recently. Condition improved, but not to the best though. Also, there is considerable amount of vibrations transmitted to steering wheel at speeds around 110-120 kmph. It increases on braking at those speeds.?
Have you got your front wheels aligned? If not, you can get a WA/WB done and see if that improves matters (particularly the vibrations).

Secondly, if your car has a hydraulic steering (not sure if the Prime is HPS or EPS), then you may want to get the power steering fluid level checked first, and then the belt for the power steering pump (since the car was idle for long) checked at Hyundai, or a friendly neighbourhood garage.

Quote:
Ecosport's Ecoboost is pulling me. Would this be a good upgrade from GETZ ? Are the negative points I am considering about GETZ, deal breakers?
On Getz vs. EcoSport, it depends on what your needs are, really. Also, if you're considering a change purely due to the problems you've described, you might change your opinion once you get the Getz's problems solved I don't see the problems you describe as being a reason to ditch the Getz (its another matter if your heart wants a new car!)
  • The EcoSport with the EcoBoost engine has unimpressive city driveability (particularly in Bangalore, with its numerous speed breakers). If you're used to using the low rpm torquey nature of the Getz's 1.3 engine then you'll have to develop a different driving style to extract the best from the EcoBoost engine.
  • Boot space is larger than the Getz, seating space is on par. Higher seating position is nice.
  • Safety kit is top notch, and the EcoSport has the same solid feel as the Getz.
Here's a thought - if boot space is not a priority, then how about the new Figo hatchback with the diesel engine? Seating space is equal to (or even slightly better than) the Getz, although the boot is much smaller. The top-end Titanium+ comes with a full complement of safety kit, the diesel is a bombshell of an engine, and you can buy it cheaper than the EcoSport EcoBoost.

Otherwise, troubleshoot and live with your Getz until the EcoSport facelift is launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hyundai could not diagnose the electrical issue in my santro - issue with alternator because of which battery was losing charge. They replaced the battery, but the issue reoccurred once the battery lost charge. Finally I got it diagnosed and fixed from an electrical repair shop for automobiles.
Could you please tell me which shop you used for electricals? Also, hope this quote brings to your attention autospeaker's question above. I know you've also been keenly eyeing the EcoSport, so your views would also help him.

Last edited by arunphilip : 4th October 2015 at 22:20. Reason: Question/comment to PatienceWins
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 18:58   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are the negative points I am considering about GETZ, deal breakers?
It purely depends on you and how you like your drive to be. The possible issue as already raised by fellow Getz owner Arunphilip could be something to do with the HPS fluid unit, I can verify that Getz Prime has indeed a hydraulic steering unit and sometimes the pinion oil seal loses its ability to contain the hydraulic fluid and thus a leakage starts which would drip slowly and consistently each day, specially when in usage. The easiest thing to do would be to open the hood and check the left front side of the engine bay where the steering fluid container is placed just beside the wiper fluid reservoir. Do verify if the oil is in full level (it will be dark when full), if you are confident you can even open the lid (marked steering fluid) to check but make sure its shut real tight. If the level is depleting or dangerously low then do not drive the car, make sure it is towed away by the service station and repaired otherwise your steering system can be partially damaged requiring major repair (Rs.20k+).

Now with vibration related problems at higher speed, get your tyres & balancing/alignment thoroughly checked up at a reputed tyre centre. The planted grippy feel would be optimum with tyre brands like Yokohama & Michelin. But going by the symptoms mentioned here as you said Getz is a great handling car and these niggles could be rectified if shown to a proper tyre dealer or Hyundai station.

As for choosing between Ford Ecosport & Getz I'd say the 2 cars have similarities but then again are not comparable. The Ecosport has better ground clearance, higher seating and a very light, yet sharp electric assist steering. The Getz has a tighter hydraulic steering which gives feedback on so many levels, since the steering is powered by the engine itself and not by a separate motor I even know how the engine revs in the palm of my hands as also the terrain the car passes through giving me a raw, purist driving experience and that is something special. Both cars are on par when it comes to build & handling. I wont argue that the Ecosport comes with ABS/airbags but lets not fault a 2008 model Getz Prime for that, it was the safest hatchback of its era.

All fellow owners : I know we keep hearing about Hyundai's being not "as solid" or as "well handling" as some of its Euro counterparts, I never felt that with the Getz, it certainly can run circles around other Hyundai cars and even some European cars. Proof below (to be noted that this is a 1.1 litre engine):

Last edited by dark.knight : 5th October 2015 at 19:00.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 19:32   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

You and I both appear to be big fans of the Getz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
All fellow owners : I know we keep hearing about Hyundai's being not "as solid" or as "well handling" as some of its Euro counterparts, I never felt that with the Getz
Well, the Getz is not a Hyundai. At least, the Getz is not a Hyundai as we now know it - flunking safety tests, boat-like suspension, etc.

The Getz was designed as a Euro hatch (not just styling but also handling), targeting the Euro market and the Getz we received in India was not "de-engineered" for India (thereby making it over-engineered by Indian standards of the day). So, that's the reason the Getz handles better than today's Hyundai's. Also, the reason the Getz gave "low mileage" when compared to hatches from a segment below is heavily down to its structural steel adding weight.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty convinced that India's reception to the Getz is what resulted in us getting lighter/floaty cars like the i10 and i20. (No disrespect intended, close friends and family also have these cars). That said, I'm yet to meet a Getz owner who dislikes his/her Getz, or is frustrated by it. You bought it, and you loved it to bits.

Here's a confession - when I bought my EcoSport, I was offered a very poor exchange value for my Getz. When I drove back in the Getz after booking the EcoSport, I decided that the Getz was worth far more than what the market valued it at, and I kept it - a decision I'm totally happy with.

Last edited by arunphilip : 5th October 2015 at 19:45.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 22:31   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You and I both appear to be big fans of the Getz.
As you've already said, there is yet not a Getz owner who has been dissatisfied with the car. Luckily when I booked I got the final facelift of Prime which added even more practical features like front arm-rest, luggage hooks, lit glove-box and Verna's soft-touch steering.

Quote:
Well, the Getz is not a Hyundai. At least, the Getz is not a Hyundai as we now know it - flunking safety tests, boat-like suspension, etc.
Or we could put it another way, like the Getz & 1st Gen Verna with the common-rail engine were the real Hyundai's, since obviously they came first. The 1st gen Verna was really practical as well, with soft padded seats, great suspension and a great steering+engine combo.

Quote:
The Getz was designed as a Euro hatch (not just styling but also handling), targeting the Euro market and the Getz we received in India was not "de-engineered" for India (thereby making it over-engineered by Indian standards of the day). So, that's the reason the Getz handles better than today's Hyundai's. Also, the reason the Getz gave "low mileage" when compared to hatches from a segment below is heavily down to its structural steel adding weight.
Fully agree.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm pretty convinced that India's reception to the Getz is what resulted in us getting lighter/floaty cars like the i10 and i20.
Partially agree, it was indeed because the people gave a double thumbs-up to Swift while ignoring the Getz, that lead Hyundai to alter their strategy. I just like to add a point here that around 2008 or so was the time when world-over, HPS units made way for EPS, the reason given was for better fuel economy since EPS would have taken the load away from the engine to a full-time motor working for the steering. This they said, would result in cars being able to lower engine capacity whist managing almost same power. India's 1.2 litre subsidy law also came in around the same time. This lead to heavy downsizing of engines. The i20 had a 1200 cc capacity with 90 cc aircon (not sure of current model), they had to do it for F.E sake but when compared to the 1341cc Getz with 150 cc compressor it simply doesn't have the same power. Also the Getz has 10% more torque than i20 along with SOHC which has noticeably better surge than DOHC. One more key point, all manufacturers around that time were absolutely pilloried by a small section of drivers due to introduction of EPS which to start with was kind of a joke, they weren't tuned properly nor assigned proper weight..(Bimmer fans called it the worst joke on sheer driving pleasure) no company had experience at that stage and its only now that semi-acceptable EPS's are coming through, for eg Grand i10's steering is a massive improvement over old i20's both on tightness & feedback, VW & Ford's have it good too albeit light. The suspension yeah, Hyundai miscalculated there, they wanted to please the masses with a magic carpet ride but more often it feels just way too disconnected.

Quote:
Here's a confession - when I bought my EcoSport, I was offered a very poor exchange value for my Getz. When I drove back in the Getz after booking the EcoSport, I decided that the Getz was worth far more than what the market valued it at, and I kept it - a decision I'm totally happy with.
Getz is one of those low-cost, total VFM cars to be found in a dealers lot, 1st Gen Fiesta is the same in the sedan segment.

Last edited by dark.knight : 5th October 2015 at 22:39.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 10:32   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
world-over, HPS units made way for EPS

India's 1.2 litre subsidy law also came in around the same time. This lead to heavy downsizing of engines.
I agree - these are both excellent points.
Quote:
Also the Getz has 10% more torque than i20 along with SOHC which has noticeably better surge than DOHC.
Wasn't the move to DOHC also driven by emission norms - better combustion in DOHC made it easier to hit emission targets? I agree with the point about SOHC though - when I drove the first gen i10 in 2009, low end was quite poor, but it revved freely and quickly into the power-band. In traffic, the Getz's SOHC wins with a calm driving style pottering around in second.
Quote:
Getz is one of those low-cost, total VFM cars to be found in a dealers lot
Very true. This brings to mind my experience - my Getz is a 2006 model I bought from Hyundai pre-owned in 2011. I went with a specific budget and was looking at a bunch of Santros, all of which were pushing the boundaries of my budget, and were not appealing. Given that I've always liked the Getz from its launch, when I spotted one in the yard, I walked over and asked the SA the cost. He didn't think I'd be interested since it was a Getz (a.k.a. flop), and revealed that it was priced lower than the Santros.

I was thinking to myself, "Here's a car I've always liked, which is more spacious and better overall, at a price lesser than a Santo!". I then had to use all my self control to avoid breaking out into a grin. When we returned to the office, the SA was proudly whispering to his colleagues that he's closed the deal on the Getz (they obviously viewed it as a white elephant!).
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 21:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Have you got your front wheels aligned? If not, you can get a WA/WB done and see if that improves matters (particularly the vibrations)
Sorry I missed to put this in my post last time. When I replaced the old wheels with the new one, ( At Tyre Professionals, Bangalore) WA and WB was done. As I had mentioned earlier, the condition did improve - but the vibrations still exist.

Quote:
I don't see the problems you describe as being a reason to ditch the Getz (its another matter if your heart wants a new car!)
I think my Heart indeed wants a new car, considering a new addition to my family. When I did a TD of Ecosport, definitely I felt the car to be more spacious then Getz. Also, I do want to have the safety features now in the car- My Getz has none. So Ecosport is an option I have, felt.

Quote:
Could you please tell me which shop you used for electricals? Also, hope this quote brings to your attention autospeaker's question
Sorry. I never had any electrical-related problem with Getz. All the services were done at Advaith , BSK, Bangalore only.

Quote:
The possible issue as already raised by fellow Getz owner Arunphilip could be something to do with the HPS fluid unit, I can verify that Getz Prime has indeed a hydraulic steering unit and sometimes the pinion oil seal loses its ability to contain the hydraulic fluid and thus a leakage starts which would drip slowly and consistently each day, specially when in usage.
There is no leakage of any sorts from the HPS fluid unit. I probably need to top up the fluid level during the regular maintenance- will do.

Quote:
As for choosing between Ford Ecosport & Getz I'd say the 2 cars have similarities but then again are not comparable. The Ecosport has better ground clearance, higher seating and a very light, yet sharp electric assist steering. The Getz has a tighter hydraulic steering which gives feedback on so many levels, since the steering is powered by the engine itself and not by a separate motor I even know how the engine revs in the palm of my hands as also the terrain the car passes through giving me a raw, purist driving experience and that is something special. Both cars are on par when it comes to build & handling.
As you have pointed out, ES scores over Getz in the GC, higher Seating and of course on the steering front. I would also add the "Extra space at the back" to the list.

Quote:
I wont argue that the Ecosport comes with ABS/airbags but lets not fault a 2008 model Getz Prime for that, it was the safest hatchback of its era.
I cannot agree more on anything else! I am not all complaining that a 2008 model car did not have ABS/ Airbags. The body is unbelievably strong! But my opinion is, currently when there is an option of getting all these safety features, why don't we go for it.
autospeaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 22:59   #114
BHPian

Our Getz is not a driver driven car. Today we had to go in the city, so requested a friends' driver drive the Getz.

Not sure if it is my imagination but after the driver drove it all day, in the evening when I drove the Getz, I found that shifting from 3rd to 4th gear or downshifting from 5th to 4th gear was given a feeling of it being rough. The gears were butter smooth all these years, but today I got the feeling that when shifting / down shifting to the 4th gear, it was not 'smooth' like usual. I mean it does not get 'stuck', but a slight 'roughness'. Not sure what caused it or how this happened.

Any thoughts on where should I even begin to look. The feeling is so minor (but I know it is there) that it will be difficult for me to explain to the ASC also when I take it in for a look sometime.
Old 25th October 2015, 09:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, I was not active in Team-BHP for quite some time. Somehow, I missed Arun's quote as well. Today I came to check when I had done the previous service, and I see all the posts. Nice to see the activity and our love for this hidden gem, Getz.

My car has been running great. The vibration on cold start is almost gone now, happy that it is cured by itself. My usage is very less, as the car is mostly used during weekend.

The only issue I have now is that the AC airflow is very less. I suspect that the AC filter I fixed a couple of years back is clogged. The car did not have the AC filter and the local AC service centre wanted me to get it fixed. I need to get it checked.

Quote:
Now, these things are forcing me to think of an upgrade. Ecosport's Ecoboost is pulling me. Would this be a good upgrade from GETZ ? Are the negative points I am considering about GETZ, deal breakers? I think PatienceWins and ArunPhilip can help me in deciding.
The issues you have mentioned above do not warrant a change in car. As you mentioned above, your heart is set for a change. Get the steering checked at the authorized service centre. It could be a small issue related to the power steering fluid or belt.

I had taken short test drives of Ecoboost and Diesel versions of Ecosport. You will miss the hydraulic steering of Getz, where as you will gain with respect to higher seating, ground clearance, better features, and a little more space. I did not find the boot space of Ecosport worthy of an upgrade from Getz.

As Arun has correctly pointed out, you will miss the low end drive-ability of Getz if you go for the Ecoboost version. The engine becomes lively only once it crosses 1800 - 2000 rpm. So, diesel seems to be a better option for city. Go for it based on your usage. You can remap the diesel at a latter point of time based on your requirements.

I cannot comment on the ride and handling as I took a short test drive. As per the reviews, the handling is good at the expense of ride quality. Overall, I am very impressed with Ecosport as a very practical car for city and occasional highway usage.

New Ford Figo and Figo Aspire are also VFM, with great safety kit, and performance. Do consider them as well.

Quote:

Could you please tell me which shop you used for electricals? Also, hope this quote brings to your attention autospeaker's question above. I know you've also been keenly eyeing the EcoSport, so your views would also help him.
I do remember the name for the shop. It is on the main road itself, left side, when you pass wilson garden, and go towards lal bagh. Based on google search, it seems to be S.M. Auto Eletricals.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...82afe22ae778c8

Quote:
I agree - these are both excellent points.

I was thinking to myself, "Here's a car I've always liked, which is more spacious and better overall, at a price lesser than a Santo!". I then had to use all my self control to avoid breaking out into a grin. When we returned to the office, the SA was proudly whispering to his colleagues that he's closed the deal on the Getz (they obviously viewed it as a white elephant!).
That was a very smart decision. My previous car was Santro, and it's no where comparable to Getz in any of the aspects. As you said, Getz is real value for money in the used car market.
PatienceWins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 09:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Our Getz is not a driver driven car. Today we had to go in the city, so requested a friends' driver drive the Getz.

Not sure if it is my imagination but after the driver drove it all day, in the evening when I drove the Getz, I found that shifting from 3rd to 4th gear or downshifting from 5th to 4th gear was given a feeling of it being rough. The gears were butter smooth all these years, but today I got the feeling that when shifting / down shifting to the 4th gear, it was not 'smooth' like usual. I mean it does not get 'stuck', but a slight 'roughness'. Not sure what caused it or how this happened.

Any thoughts on where should I even begin to look. The feeling is so minor (but I know it is there) that it will be difficult for me to explain to the ASC also when I take it in for a look sometime.
I think it is just psychological as you would be looking for issues once someone else uses the car. The gear shift quality would not be affected just because someone else uses it for a day. If you still think it is there, tell the service advisor to take a test drive. Get the gear fluid level and cables checked as well. I sometimes find the shift from first to second gear a little rough, other wise it is smooth. But I prefer the short throw of Swift/ Ciaz etc compared to long throw of Getz.
Old 25th October 2015, 11:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Was the driver riding the clutch?

From what you've mentioned, it seems like the driver's left feet was on the clutch most of the times. Other than that I don't see any other reason for the roughness in shifting gears in just a day of driving.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 11:32   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

The issues you have mentioned above do not warrant a change in car. As you mentioned above, your heart is set for a change. Get the steering checked at the authorized service centre. It could be a small issue related to the power steering fluid or belt.

I had taken short test drives of Ecoboost and Diesel versions of Ecosport. You will miss the hydraulic steering of Getz, where as you will gain with respect to higher seating, ground clearance, better features, and a little more space. I did not find the boot space of Ecosport worthy of an upgrade from Getz.

As Arun has correctly pointed out, you will miss the low end drive-ability of Getz if you go for the Ecoboost version. The engine becomes lively only once it crosses 1800 - 2000 rpm. So, diesel seems to be a better option for city. Go for it based on your usage. You can remap the diesel at a latter point of time based on your requirements.

I cannot comment on the ride and handling as I took a short test drive. As per the reviews, the handling is good at the expense of ride quality. Overall, I am very impressed with Ecosport as a very practical car for city and occasional highway usage.

New Ford Figo and Figo Aspire are also VFM, with great safety kit, and performance. Do consider them as well.
Hello PatienceWins,
Eventually I booked the Ecoboost vehicle. And I mostly I would keep the Getz as well. I am not able to just let it go- it's such a good package!
As far as the steering is concerned, I will follow your suggestion of getting the power steering fluid and belt, checked.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 12:00   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello PatienceWins,
Eventually I booked the Ecoboost vehicle. And I mostly I would keep the Getz as well. I am not able to just let it go- it's such a good package!
As far as the steering is concerned, I will follow your suggestion of getting the power steering fluid and belt, checked.
Congrats. Ecosport is a great car.

Considering the resale value of Getz, it does not make sense to sell it. A great decision. I do not have such an option as it is difficult to get parking space in my apartment.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 21:25   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Was the driver riding the clutch?

From what you've mentioned, it seems like the driver's left feet was on the clutch most of the times. Other than that I don't see any other reason for the roughness in shifting gears in just a day of driving.
Thanks. This is one of the things I strongly suspect. But what is the 'science' behind 'riding the clutch' and the 'roughness' I am noticing only in the 4th gear. How is it correlated? Any explanation on this will help, when I visit the ASC to have them look into this occurrence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks