Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 08:38   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Getz 1.3 Prime. EDIT : 81,449 kms Service Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I booked the Ecoboost vehicle. And I mostly I would keep the Getz as well. I am not able to just let it go- it's such a good package! As far as the steering is concerned.
You & Arunphilip have a big similarity now, both of you bought an Ecosport while retaining the Getz because its too good to let go of. Come to think of it, all the 5 of us in this very page have a similarity - we are Getz hooked. I was almost happy to see the Santro Xing go away as the Getz replaced it, I'd even say the Santro was terrible in how it drove & its body balance due to the height.. Getz is 3 leagues above to say the least.

@PatienceWins - I drove the Aspire, it wasn't anywhere close to as good as the Getz is. I know a lot of Ford fans might read this and call it a blind assault of a Hyundai fan but no, the Aspire isn't the typically tough-built Ford. There was a lot left to be desired from the suspension, engine & steering. To prove I'm not a Hyundai fan either I'll say the worst car in terms of driving & state of tune I've ever driven is the i20 (first & 2nd gen), the current gen is no better either because of its overly assisted steering. Grand i10/Xcent have a far better sorted feel to it. The only logical replacements to a Getz in my opinion would not be from Hyundai, it has to be a Polo TSi (not for steering but for similar or better torque) & Punto (for its steering and equal power from the 1.4).
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 09:24   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You & Arunphilip have a big similarity now, both of you bought an Ecosport while retaining the Getz because its too good to let go of. Come to think of it, all the 5 of us in this very page have a similarity - we are Getz hooked. I was almost happy to see the Santro Xing go away as the Getz replaced it, I'd even say the Santro was terrible in how it drove & its body balance due to the height.. Getz is 3 leagues above to say the least.
I cannot agree more on anything else!

Staying on the GETZ topic, I would like to know if anyone of you have changed the stock headlight bulbs of GETZ. I have been observing that the light is getting dim from last few months, especially on the highways. I can also see that the right-side headlight case ( not sure of the exact terminology) is getting faded. So, do I need to change the bulbs now? Can you people help me please.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 09:43   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone of you have changed the stock headlight bulbs of GETZ. I have been observing that the light is getting dim from last few months, especially on the highways. I can also see that the right-side headlight case ( not sure of the exact terminology) is getting faded. So, do I need to change the bulbs now?
About 3.5 years ago, when a biker hit and cracked the headlamp housing, I decided to change both headlamps. Since I'd bought this car pre-owned, it appears it had been parked in the sun during the day and the headlamp covers had gone slightly yellow and it didn't look good. With that change (and the new reflectors that came with it), I felt a modest improvement in headlight performance.

A year after that I had a relay fitted and put in 100/90W bulbs, which is the configuration I'm now running on.

So, my advice to you is:
1) Check if the headlamps are clear and white, or have they yellowed with age? Also check if they are clear, or scratched. There are certain companies I've heard of that offer services to clean up headlights, although the simplest remedy I've heard touted is to use good old toothpaste! There are other similar tutorials too. See this video:
2) Are you running stock bulbs (60/55W)? Consider fitting a relay for higher wattage bulbs (bear in mind this is technically illegal) for a cost of Rs. ~1000, or fit in brighter bulbs of 60/55W itself (legal) such as Philips XtremeVision or Osram NightBreaker.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 09:59   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
So, my advice to you is:
1) Check if the headlamps are clear and white, or have they yellowed with age? Also check if they are clear, or scratched.
2) Are you running stock bulbs (60/55W)? Consider fitting a relay for higher wattage bulbs (bear in mind this is technically illegal) for a cost of Rs. ~1000, or fit in brighter bulbs of 60/55W itself (legal) such as Philips XtremeVision or Osram NightBreaker.
Thanks Arun for the quick( I can call it quickest ) suggestion. The right side headlight is getting yellowish from upper corner. So, the high beams -left and right side- are not parallel. I can see the left side brighter. I should be doing the toothpaste-fix as soon as possible then.

And yes, I am still holding on to the stock 60/55W bulbs. My father had stopped me from upgrading it to higher wattage bulbs, citing the same reason you have mentioned above. However, let me go and check out the 60/55W Philips/Osram itself . By any chance, can you please suggest a place for this as well. I really do not wish to go to JC road .
Old 1st November 2015, 10:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot agree more on anything else!

Staying on the GETZ topic, I would like to know if anyone of you have changed the stock headlight bulbs of GETZ. I have been observing that the light is getting dim from last few months, especially on the highways. I can also see that the right-side headlight case ( not sure of the exact terminology) is getting faded. So, do I need to change the bulbs now? Can you people help me please.
I am using Philips Rally 100/90W bulb with relay for the last few years. It has made a lot of difference in terms of visibility. I found the stock bulbs insufficient during night drives. Initially, I tried Philips Extreme 60/55 W bulb, thought it was better than stock I was not happy. Happy since getting 100/90.

I was worried about the headlight case getting faded. But no issues, it is as clear as stock. The modification was done at the car accessory shop, Torque, opposite BSNL office at 80 feet road.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...eb9e25db607fc5

The AC air flow was very less nowadays. I could not manage even with the higher air flow setting. As the air flow has been decreasing since fitting the cabin filter, I was pretty sure it has to do with the AC cabin filter I had installed two years back. Infact, the air flow had come down just after fitting the filter. Just now, took out the cabin filter by following the you tube video below. The filter was totally black in colour. Without the filter, the air flow is good. Planning to run the car without the air cabin filter.

The car came from factory without the filter. I had got it installed based on the recommendation from the AC service guy outside.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 1st November 2015 at 10:51.
Old 1st November 2015, 10:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, let me go and check out the 60/55W Philips/Osram itself . By any chance, can you please suggest a place for this as well. I really do not wish to go to JC road
Any good auto accessories shop in your locality should have these in stock. Be careful though that you get the exact bulb you need - H4 bulbs of XtremeVision (or XV+) or NightBreaker (or NB+ or NB Unlimited). Philips in particular have other series of bulbs called CrystalVision and BlueVision which serve a different purpose - some shops lie and try to pass these off saying they also improve brightness.

I have usually bought these online (I'm lazy), and have got them from either http://automotivesoul.com/ (who don't have it in stock now, but if you contact them they usually source it quickly) or from http://www.purplekart.in/ :
I'm using Osram NightBreaker+ in my EcoSport and am satisfied with it (better brightness, absolutely no wiring changes). Drawbacks of both XtremeVision and NightBreakers are the higher cost of bulbs and reduced lifespan (by about 20-30%).
Old 1st November 2015, 11:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

Philips Rally 100/90W & 130/110W(if you can find one) are the best set of bulbs for night driving.
Downside is that headlamp assembly would get faded from inside and outside, toothpaste trick won't work.
And, needs good quality relay to hold onto that power.

Once you use the rally, you would never buy the night breakers and xtreme visions.
Old 21st December 2015, 19:11   #128
BHPian

Hi, Ajith from Bangalore. Like all of you a GETZ CRDI possess(ed)or. Long time ago I drove the Gen 1 Verna and was absolutely floored by the power surge. Then the same engine was offered on the GETZ and I wanted one badly. But alas it went out of production and then got a used one at a premium from Hyundai used car sales.
Its a 2008 born car, golden beige. Got it when it was 31K young, in 2011. Its now pushing 79K and still does not miss a beat. My only grouse is with the brakes and the headlights. Does not have the power/efficiency to stop the unleashed power and the head lights cannot cover the distance as fast as the car can.
Additions include Hella 100mm high beams in place of fog lamps. Designed, made 3D models and got the custom brackets manufactured for mounting the Hella's. Ran the Morimoto Five5 HID conversion kit for sometime, did not get the illumination I wanted, switched back to Halogens, Osram Night breakers are on duty now. Though not completely happy with them, the Hellas pitch in, so okay for now.
Changed the wheels to the gen-2 i20's alloys. Got a brand new set for 8K and up sized tires to Falken - Sincera SN835 - 195/60 R14's. Ride so far has been fantastic.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:50   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

:-D

If I had my way I'd wish I had the Australian version of Getz with the 1.6 litre 105 bhp engine, not for the speed part but the sheer refinement & ability to surge across all gears comfortably, not that the 1.4 is lacking in any way. The Australian model also comes with 4 airbags, stability control & 15 inch wheels.

Even today when I see the Getz Prime I see timeless design with a perfect balance of lines & curves, it simply hasn't aged and is perhaps the best looking hatchback today. Then I see its so called successor, a car which used to share its platform but yet feels nothing like it.. I'm veering way off popular perception but the Elite i20 feels overdone, disproportionate and well, immature in every angle possible. This is the only Hyundai I strongly dislike be it cabin seating, driving position, steering, looks etc. I'd say the company has insulted the Getz by creating this so called car.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:25   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I had my way I'd wish I had the Australian version of Getz with the 1.6 litre 105 bhp engine, not for the speed part but the sheer refinement & ability to surge across all gears comfortably, not that the 1.4 is lacking in any way. The Australian model also comes with 4 airbags, stability control & 15 inch wheels.
Agree with everything you have posted dark.knight regarding one of my all time favourite hatch back on Indian soil

Though I am currently showering all my love & attention () on the GT, Getz holds a very special place in my heart. In fact, I still give a good stare at a well maintained Getz even now. This hatch really had everything that none of its competitors back then had even thought of. Not that 1.3l Petrol engine was a slouch, it was just no match for free revving Japanese engines.

Honestly, IMO Elite really has brought back the charm that Getz once had. I never really like any other iteration of I20, till Elite came about. Though I believe Elite should have come with a better Petrol option and possible a 1.5l CRDi engine, a smaller version of the 1.6 CRDI.

Nevertheless, Getz is really a special hatch and probably the only car from Hyundai stable that offered some sort of steering feedback.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

Serviced my Getz today after a gap of one year as my usage has been less nowadays. The odo reading now is 75400 kms. The service cost came to Rs. 9476, excluding Shell Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic oil which I got from outside. It is too early to comment about the shift from semi-synthetic to synthetic oil as the vehicle always feel smooth after service.

I bought the oil from amazon at a good discount - http://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-550...ix+ultra+5w-40

Changed the spark plugs, brake pads, brake fluid and wiper blades as part of the service. I now notice that they did not change the fuel filter though it was mentioned in the job card; I always notice their reluctance to change it, maybe as it is not easy to change it.

The labour charges seem to have increased; they are charging Rs.665 for brake pad replacement and cleaning; which was done in a few minutes in front of me. I monitored the oil change to make sure that they are using the oil provided by me. As I mentioned no additives, they did not flush the engine before shifting to synthetic oil. As the vehicle was already on ramp and the plugs were removed, did not trouble them for flushing the engine.

I need to get the wheel alignment and balancing done from outside soon.

Last one year has been absolutely trouble free and the vehicle was quite smooth even when I gave it for service. Hope it will give another year of trouble free ownership.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th March 2016 at 19:43. Reason: typo error
PatienceWins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:55   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Was planning this for awhile and got it almost done, the goal was to restore the car to the condition it was in when I got delivery of it.

- Minor suspension repairs, changed a couple of bushings (just preventive) otherwise the whole assembly was in pristine condition. The mechanic couldn't believe 99% of the car ran in factory stock setup. Overall the car moves as sturdy as ever and is much more muted and stable over the horizontal "cable" pits or the massive potholes the city throws at it.

- Topped up the A.C gas - the brutal summer is a bit more bearable now. The cooling had faded quite a bit but now its as good as new.

- Changed front seat-covers with same spec P.U leather, the old ones had cracked and faded a bit due to sun.

- Installed a Sony H.U with B.T streaming and call handling. I never take calls when driving and even now do not intend to, but overall the NFC and streaming features are necessary sometimes.

- Clutch bleeding, brake-line bleeding, cleaning discs (no warping whatsoever). Coolant & oils replaced, P.S oil changed. Everything works crisply and more efficiently/silently than I can remember.

- Tyres rotated & aligned.

The car has been kept stock because I like it that way - no modifications aesthetic or technical. The beauty of purely mechanical cars is that work can be done quickly and efficiently by tuning and repairing without the need for large replacements every time. The acceleration is as good as ever and without slippage/torque displacement hence I assume the stock clutch is as good as new. I certainly didn't notice all the aspects of driving when I started driving the Getz as I was more or less a greenhorn at that time (about 10k experience prior), but today I can see just how precise the steering is and how Hyundai managed to make this wonderfully tuned suspension which nether pitches or wallows during bad roads/adjustments nor thuds and throws about over minor bumps.. a perfect state of tune for all roads (in those times I remember reading the Getz was ranked just behind the much larger Chevy Optra as 2nd best suspension). Its shocking that they've not been able to find that balance ever since. The journey continues.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 19:02   #133
Senior - BHPian

The car has run only 2000 kms in the last four months, since the last service as I was out of station. The only issue I have is that outside air is getting in even when the air circulation is set to internal. Forgot to raise it in the last service.

The vehicle is much more smoother after switching to synthetic oil. The vehicle warms up fast after cold start.

Quote:
Was planning this for awhile and got it almost done, the goal was to restore the car to the condition it was in when I got delivery of it.
Nice, what is the odometer reading now?
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 20:00   #134
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a drive to Kerala, the odometer reading now is 79300.

I found that the coolant was empty and did a full refill. Surprised as the car was serviced just 4000 kms back, 5 months back. Otherwise, the car is doing well, feel much more refined after switching to synthetic oil.

The itch to upgrade is more as kids are growing up, but feel bad letting the car go and my usage is less nowadays. Let me see how it goes.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 20:25   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I found that the coolant was empty and did a full refill.

The itch to upgrade is more as kids are growing up
Just check whether your heater core is leaking. Touch the carpet in the passenger side.

We just resisted the urge to upgrade our 10 year old Getz as it's our second car. You can check the Baleno, it's wonderful. Not many mass market cars beat the Getz's HPS.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th September 2016 at 20:29.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed