Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2023, 17:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_Kmu View Post

Conclusion:

Is Bolero still relevant in the modern automotive world? might or might not be. Bolero has more flaws than strengths. And I made my purchase despite being aware of the majority of its shortcomings. Do I regret making the choice? No, except when private buses/empty trucks/vans/cars overtake me in NH which they do all the time. But I do wish it could have been a better product with a little more power, safety and comfort. BTW, BS6 Boleros have dual airbags (from the 2022 model), ABS, 1.5L 3 cyl engine with little more power and torque (75hp vs 63hp and 215nm vs 195nm) and better refinement. I believe the 1.5L mill will offer similar reliability that DI and m2DiCR are known for. Mahindra knows that reliability is one of Bolero’s fortes.
Congratulations on having such a well maintained Bolero, not many owners would take care of it like this, it nevertheless will serve you well.

You could acquire a well maintained Bolero Storm if you are after power - Its the bonkers edition or otherwise called BD Sir edition of Bolero, plenty of power and plenty of road grip. My friend just did a cosmetic restoration of one (he rolled it), it has 3L+ on the odometer!!

OG Bolero is very much relevant today because it has got a completely revised drive train, gearbox, suspension, steering, seats , clutch - as easy as a hatchback to drive. The mHawk 1.5 is silent, peppy ,fuel efficient and reliable too.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 18:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A good no-nonsense vehicle.

I hope you oil that antenna once in a while; have seen some of them become rust bucket and getting stuck due to non usage.

That fog lamp switch plate edges looks like it will given someone a cut, if not careful.

All the best with your detailing venture.
I shall oil the antenna since I have never done that. Additionally, I used pliers to bend the sharp edges of the switch plate. Thank you for your suggestions and wishes HappyWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Just wow. That looks fantastic, love that you heard your heart and went for the Bolero. I saw one in Vijayawada (the BSVI), it looked pretty good. Rugged and well built. You have a beautiful house! Many happy miles of driving.
Thank you Raghu M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_eagle View Post
Despite currently owning one of the German trios, a Jeep Compass and many other vehicles in the past, I still dream of owning a OG-Bolero. There is something about the body-line and proportions of this car that has had me give a 2nd look every time I see one on the road. Congratulations on owning one. Here's wishing you many more years with the OG.
Thank you sea_eagle. It's pleasantly surprising to hear someone who drives an expensive vehicle express his desire to purchase a bolero. I wish your dream comes true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasilemon View Post
Hey buddy, Would you mind if I post my Bolero here?

My Bolero M2DICR came home as brand new in August 2016. Still remember the day when I drove it out from Zulaikha Motors, Velachery. This morning, after 6.5 years, the odometer stands at 141000 kilometers. The vehicle is serviced regularly at either Zulaikha Motors or MM Motors Chennai. I also have a lorry mechanic in my neighbourhood whom I trust for other maintenance works . During the past 6.5 years, following were the major works done other than routine services.

1) Factory fitted Brdgestone deuler HT (215-75R15) was changed to Conti Cross Contact AT (235-75R15) at 86000 Kilometers (Yes, you read it right, there was thread available for another 5K when I changed them)
2) Self Motor Armature was changed at around 90 K mark
3) Battery was replaced at around 1 lakh/4 year
4) AC Evaporator Coil was changed at 1.12 K kilometers
5) Rear Leaf was serviced at 1 lakh Kms by the lorry mechanic with the help of a 'lathe' shop
6) Clutch plate along with release springs were changed at 1.04 lakh Kilomters. (Interesting to note that my total expense was Rs. 5.9 K against MASS quoted Rs. 12 K )

The vehicle is running smooth, although, we have now acquired Bolero Neo N4 last year for long drives. The M2DICR is now restricted to Chennai City Limits alone. M2DICR is now at Tuticorin for a short trip and is all fine.

Works planned to be done in near future

1) 140K service (although the vehicle has completed 141K as on date)
2) Master Cylinder and Sleeve Cylinder check up and replacement if necessary for the clutch
3) Replacement of self motor as it has started showing its age again.
4) Denting works (The jeep has got its share of dents from Chennai traffic)

I am attaching a snap taken yesterday at Pamban Bridge.
Hello madrasilemon, Glad to know you. I believe you have driven the car very gently to make the battery/tyres last that long. Kudos!

Initially, I felt the repair and spare parts costs for my bolero were expensive. However, after learning about the repair and spare prices of other similarly priced cars, I'm just glad that I went with Bolero. Wishing you many more miles in your Bolero
Shan_Kmu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 18:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good review. Ironically, the bolero comes with the same Pros and Cons list as a Fortuner but at 1/4th the price. Main thing holding it back is the image problem.

Last edited by Cresterk : 15th February 2023 at 18:45.
Old 15th February 2023, 20:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygenes View Post
" When I went to Mahindra showroom in Bengaluru, the enthusiasm of a new buyer evaporated as soon as they heard the word Bolero. The rep promptly pointed to a display car in the corner of the showroom floor and left me alone. There were a few couples checking out the XUV400. All grins, smiles, attention and reception energies of the showroom flowed in that direction.

I checked. Sat inside. Looked around. Got off. Asked for a test drive. "Not possible now Sir". And left me alone again.

I would buy this car in a heartbeat!
I have felt the same as you @gypsygenes. 2 years back, I went to a Mahindra showroom in Chennai just to check out the BS6 Bolero. When I said Bolero, the attitude of the SA changed and he just pointed me to the vehicle and left me there. That's why I mentioned in the "Pros" section that Bolero commands respect in towns and villages, NOT in cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
However every time I go past a Bolero I give it a long look, wishing I had the courage to buy one. It must be something about the clean lines , the basic uncluttered, boxy, old world charm look
Thank you Ganapathy. The old-school design of Bolero appeals to some folks, as you mentioned.
Old 15th February 2023, 21:17   #20
BHPian

Well I always used to think we are missing a comprehensive review of Bolero in the forum and here it comes! Just like an official review. You have covered all points. This is one car which I am very very fond of. Thanks for putting together the review.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 23:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What with the advent of eerly silent EVs and Mild hybrids, what will be missed is the certain "feel" and "fun factor" driving torquey, rugged and clattery (I call that diesel roar) diesels.
Righty said DCEite. Sometimes when there's not much dust and heat, I just roll down the windows, switch off the music and drive, just to hear the engine's roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You could acquire a well maintained Bolero Storm if you are after power - Its the bonkers edition or otherwise called BD Sir edition of Bolero, plenty of power and plenty of road grip. My friend just did a cosmetic restoration of one (he rolled it), it has 3L+ on the odometer!!

OG Bolero is very much relevant today because it has got a completely revised drive train, gearbox, suspension, steering, seats , clutch - as easy as a hatchback to drive. The mHawk 1.5 is silent, peppy ,fuel efficient and reliable too.
Yes, Kosfactor, I envied the storm and saw a few on OLX but they were badly beaten. Not sure how that owner maintained it mechanically. I have driven my friend's BS4 Bolero with 1.5L engine (power plus) and I was can't believe how Bolero unlike it was. Steering is light, NVH and refinement are a notch above my 2.5L BS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Good review. Ironically, the bolero comes with the same Pros and Cons list as a Fortuner but at 1/4th the price. Main thing holding it back is the image problem.
Thank you Cresterk. Many refer to it as a government, police or politician vehicle. I had only sometimes brought it to work and every time security stopped me, checked my ID card closely and then let me go. He might be thinking himself, "Why is a Bolero entering our IT park?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Well I always used to think we are missing a comprehensive review of Bolero in the forum and here it comes! Just like an official review. You have covered all points. This is one car which I am very very fond of. Thanks for putting together the review.
Thanks, busydrive. I've had the same thought for a while, and I want my review to be as comprehensive and unbiased as the official review. I could have included a few more illustrations and words, but I thought that nobody would read this much for a Bolero. Well, I was mistaken.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 12:53   #22
BHPian

I have the 2020 bolero bs6 version. Some shortcoming like NVH has been addressed. I too love mine. This is definitely for ppl who are looking for practicality. I recommend a test drive on the hills/ghat section. The gear ratio is designed as if it was meant to be a mountain goat. Don't be surprised if a Bolero driver is eager to overtake you on ghats on the new BS6 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_2918.jpg  

Last edited by vj_torqueaddict : 16th February 2023 at 12:57.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 13:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
• Have you gone insane?
• Did you text Baleno? Or did I misread something?
• Does your father work for the government?
• Have you left IT to enter politics?
• Will this vehicle be suitable for you and your family?
These are the exact set of questions I got when I suggested that we get a Bolero as a next car. I followed my heart and got one in August 2021. Thats right. August 2 0 2 1!!! and I absolutely love the car.

So happy to hear your thoughts on the Bolero @Shan_Kmu

I have the new 1.5 mhawk, such a lovely torquey engine. The numbers are not great, but feels great! Overtakes are a breeze, especially on the narrow single lane streets/highways of Malabar, Kerala where I drive. Did close to 25k kms now. I also drove it to Umlingla from Kerala in August 2022. Absolutely love the oldschool looks of it

I get great fuel consumption, depending on how you drive, over and above 20 kmpl most of the time. On a boring long drive, i even saw 30kmpl on the MID

Safety wise, its just one airbag and thats that, comfort wise I have leaf springs at the rear and thats painful. Im looking replace them with arc suspension composite leaf springs.

Oh and the street cred, people do give way to this. But its not the best street cred in all of India. Its slightly negative up north and I even got chased by cops once, A story for a later time

For 10 lakhs, i think this is great thrills.
kkSolo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 14:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
I have the 2020 bolero bs6 version. Some shortcoming like NVH has been addressed. I too love mine. This is definitely for ppl who are looking for practicality. I recommend a test drive on the hills/ghat section. The gear ratio is designed as if it was meant to be a mountain goat. Don't be surprised if a Bolero driver is eager to overtake you on ghats on the new BS6 model.
Good to hear about yours!! One thing if I may add, the BS6 bolero's brown shade looks tad lighter than mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkSolo View Post
Safety wise, its just one airbag and thats that, comfort wise I have leaf springs at the rear and that is painful.
Ahhh.. If you had postponed the purchase by few months you could have got hands on the bolero which came up with twin airbags For the old bolero owners it's not much but for a person who had bought the 2021 BS6 one and months later they update it with twin airbags, it sucks. Mahindra should have provided twin airbags from day 1 on the BS6 models
Old 8th March 2023, 09:11   #25
BHPian

Very nicely penned ownership review especially of a car which is seldom bought by urban people.

Bolero is tried and tested horse and still carries that niche factor even though it’s two decade old.

Wish you many more happy miles ahead !!!!
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:45   #26
BHPian

Thought of adding a few pictures of our first car, Chevy Beat LT diesel. Had it from Aug 2011 to about July 2016. Just like our Bolero, Beat was also maintained immaculately until it was sold

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-beat-1.jpg

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_20140708_155952.jpg

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_20140708_160224.jpg

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_1729.jpg
Old 22nd April 2023, 15:19   #27

Nice write-ups. Good to see fellow Bolero owners. I have also a Java Brown Bolero OG from older pre ECM generation. It sports the original DI turbo engine.

I bought it used; specifically to avoid the common-rail and the ECU/ECM. It has only done 68K kms so far. Mechanically in perfect condition. But got attacked it mercilessly recently by two forces of nature.

1) rodents, severe damage has done to wiring. 2) Coastal air of Cochin where I use the vehicle mostly.

As my vehicle is now 12+ years of age, I am finding it extremely difficult to have the vehicle serviced at Mahindra service centers to satisfaction. A simple 12V socket issue also, they would say "parts not available". Feels like they are not interested in any vehicles above 5 years of age. Have you people faced similar issues?

I really want to change the wiring harnesses, no matter what it costs. My problem is, I couldn't find someone to take up the work reliably.

Similarly, I want to give the vehicle for tinkering and painting. As I don't want to wait until it falls apart even if outwardly you can't see rust. But I believe, platform is quite corroded. Again, I am finding difficulty in finding people who could take up a complete tinkering and painting.

I wonder whether you people had to deal with electrical troubles or rust issues?
Old 8th May 2023, 22:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKottayam View Post
I wonder whether you people had to deal with electrical troubles or rust issues?
Electrical issues due to rats, Can't do much. You can see my below posts. Have tried out many things. Still couldn't escape permanently from them

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5404870 (Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5499428 (Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice)

Since mine is relatively not that old, can't comment about rust but if you are based in Kottayam, check out R&T auto catalyst. Don't know them personally but have seen their instagram posts on restoration and tinkering/painting jobs.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 19:15   #29
BHPian

Service update

So our bolero went in for general service yesterday at FNG. The last one was performed at 58k kms. Now the Odo stands at 68k kms.

No specific issues apart from a rat bite. It chewed the wires leading to the rear number plate light and fuel level indicator. Work done and associated costs are mentioned in the below attachment. The total bill amount was Rs 5,100.

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-whatsapp-image-20230610-6.52.52-pm.jpeg

Came home and gave it a nice foam wash

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_20230610_112801086.jpg

Cleaned and dressed up the engine room as well

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-picsart_230610_181513724.jpg

After washing... Good to see the reflection back

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-reflection.jpg

Our doggo on his way to pee on the freshly cleaned tyres

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_20230510_1357402842.jpg
Old 12th June 2023, 11:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Service update

So our bolero went in for general service yesterday at FNG. The last one was performed at 58k kms. Now the Odo stands at 68k kms.
It is a pleasure to drive these 2500cc engines.

Charges looks normal for routine service.

1. Which engine oil is used?
2. Why only 2 wheels were balanced? Since bolero have lug centric wheels, how the shop performed balancing task?

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks