Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later

• Have you gone insane?
• Did you text Baleno? Or did I misread something?
• Does your father work for the government?
• Have you left IT to enter politics?
• Will this vehicle be suitable for you and your family?

These are some of the questions I’m bombarded with when I told my friends/relatives that we are going to buy a Bolero. Now, 6 years and 60,000 km later, allow me to provide you with an in-depth review of my 2016 Mahindra Bolero m2DiCR. I have been waiting to write this article for a long time, and now I finally have the time and opportunity. This is my first long post in this forum. Please accept my apologies for any unintentional errors.

Pros:

1)7-seater SUV at a price comparable to mid-size hatchbacks and entry-level sedans
2)Robust, abuse-friendly build & body-on-frame construction. A typical Mahindra UV in every way
3)Love it or hate it design - Clean, simple and boxy
4)Tall seating, excellent visibility and narrow footprint make driving, a bit easier
5)Ample ground clearance is helpful in tackling rough roads
6)m2Dicr engine offers good driveability, fuel economy and reliability. Low and mid-range performance, both are satisfactory
7)AC is surprisingly powerful
8)Relatively easier and cheaper to maintain than other body-on-frame UVs that are on sale
9)Has strong resale value in the used car market
10)It demands respect in towns and villages

Cons:

1)You could get a modern, feature-rich, safe and comfortable hatch or sedan for a similar price
2)Its body shell, which has not changed much in two decades
3)Fit & finish is shoddy
4)Subpar NVH levels
5)Severely underpowered for a car this big and heavy (1615kg if I recall correctly)
6)Expressway performance is below par. Best to cruise at 80-90 kmph only
7)Brake pedal is spongy and the braking performance above-average
8)The second row's legroom is constrained in a car of size. Ignore the third row of chairs
9)Ride quality is nowhere comparable with hatches, sedans or compact SUVs
10)A good degree of body roll and sluggish, numb steering hinder the driving experience
11)If 7 people are traveling, there is hardly any room for bags. It is best to drive this as a 5-seater car with the third row of seats folded to create more boot space.
12)No Airbags or ABS. No safety features, in other words (BS6 Boleros get them though)
13)Fog lamps and alloy wheels are accessories. Not available by default in even in the top ZLX variant
14)The after-sales service experience with Mahindra is hit-or-miss. Purely depends only on your luck

Previously owned car:

Ours is a family of 3 - Dad, mom and I. It was a long time wish for us to buy a car and finally, during my first year of college, we started looking for our first car. Eventually settled on a sandrift grey Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT. On-road price came close to 5.25L (Purchased on Aug 2011). My dad and I only started learning to drive after purchasing the car. Beat was a compact, economical, and largely dependable car that fulfilled its purpose well. The price of maintenance was likewise fair. After 5 years and 55k km under its belt, we decided to upgrade to a somewhat bigger car. We chose to sell our beat to a known individual rather than to used car dealerships because the vehicle was dear to our hearts and kept in pristine condition.

Requirements for our next vehicle:

•Need a reliable vehicle that I intend to retain for at least 10 years. Features are not my top focus. Personally, I don't need them
•Should be rugged and built to take on abuse. Not going to off-road but people from the delta region knows Tanjore – Kumbakonam road is nothing short of that
•Car should come with a bigger engine – Anything greater than Beat’s puny 936cc mill
•As I become accustomed to the low-end torque, diesel is favoured
•Service centre must be located in our hometown (Kumbakonam). Not aware of any FNGs at that time. Beat was fully serviced at Trichy/Tanjore A.S.S
•Budget we had was around 8 to 9L
That’s it. It can be a hatch, sedan, compact SUV or whatever it is

Test drives and vehicle selection:

Tanjore was where we went because, at the time, it had more showrooms than our town did. We took the Brezza, i20 Active, and Duster for test drives. They were all diesel versions. We were most impressed by Duster's space, then by Brezza. Loved i20 active’s punchy engine and looks. However, the base models of these automobiles cost little more than 10–11L on the road. Slightly dejected, we were about to board the bus to our hometown. Co-incidentally Tanjore’s Mahindra dealer ARN motors was nearby to bus stand and we decided to pay a visit there. Casually checked out KUV 100, TUV300, Scorpio and XUV 500, albeit no purchase was intended. Just before stepping out, saw a white Bolero in display at the corner. I opened the driver’s door, sat on it and I was sold out immediately. Took the Bolero for a test drive and it was a totally different driving experience compared to other cars I have ever driven. When inquired about the price, the top-end ZLX BS3 costed close to 9L on-road. It was the time when BS4 norms were enforced across states and I asked whether I could get a BS4 vehicle like we get in cities. The showroom manager said he could arrange one but it would cost an extra 30K. After a brief discussion, we left for our town.

When I told my parents that we would purchase a bolero, at first they were baffled. They are both teachers, I work in the IT sector, and I want to buy a car that is nowhere relevant for us. Convinced them after multiple talks and financial planning. Finally, they said yes to proceed with my wish (perks of being the only child)

Booking and delivery experience:

The following weekend went to Tanjore ARN motors for booking. The manager welcomed us and he asked which vehicle we want to book. He looked just as perplexed as my parents did when I said Bolero. He requested us to consider TUV 300/XUV 500 which would better suit my profession/our family to which I politely refused. Manager grinned and instructed SA to assist us. I had considered purchasing Black, but the factory had only White, Green, and Brown. So, Java Brown was chosen. ZLX was chosen because it provided the most features. Power windows, a sound system, and a rear wiper, eh? Also, we booked a BS4 one.
Price breakdown:
Bolero ZLX m2DiCR 2WD BS4 on road price – 9.50L approx (Purchased on Sept 2016) including few accessories which we installed before delivery
The amount we got from selling our beat – 2.50L
Savings from my first year’s pay – 1L
Parent’s savings – 2L
Mom’s PF loan – 5L

I forget precisely how many thousands were discounted, but few were slashed. Additionally, a complimentary under-body rust coating was applied.

We were informed that Boleros will be driven from some point, as they are too heavy to be transported. After 3 weeks, we received a call informing us that our Bolero had reached the showroom and it could be delivered along with the accessories we asked for. It had around 1500~1800 km on the odo during delivery.

Usage:

Like our previous car, we anticipate 10,000 kilometers per year. Only interstate travel will be done, not for routine use. Out of this 60k odd km, only around 2,000 km was not driven by me. That 2,000 km includes 1,500~1,800 km in odo during delivery.
Also on April 2018, we got ourselves a doggo and on Jan 2021, I got married. So, as of now, our family consists of 5 members. If all 5 of us are traveling, one person must sit in the jump seats. Our dog takes up two-thirds of the middle-row seat.

Upgrades/modifications made:

Let me first describe the modifications I have made before getting into the specifics.
• Prior to delivery, Installed 90/100W headlight bulbs and dual horns with relay, full mat, sun film and bull bar. Additionally, free under-body coating was provided. The following day, seat covers, piece mats and rear Pioneer box speakers were installed in the accessory shop
• A year later, Changed OEM body graphics to aftermarket ones. Interior lamps changed to LED. I bought a leather steering cover and hand-stitched it.
• In 2020, I Removed bull bar owing to TN Govt regulations. Though unsafe it sure did give a macho look
• In 2021, the Dual tone design was changed to a single-tone OEM style. All four wheel arches, the spare wheel inner cover, and the front and rear bumpers are painted in Java brown. Gun metal grey paint was used for the spare wheel outer cover, side strips, and front grill. Silver paint was used to cover the 4 wheel covers. In addition to that, one-step detailing is also done. Did this in The Bling Detailing studio, Valasaravakkam.
• The same week, at Speed freaks, Ambattur, Front OEM speakers were upgraded to Image dynamics units and rear pioneer box speakers were replaced with Focal ones. Both front and rear units are Co-axial ones and installed in OEM housing. In the Rear, this liberates a little bit of rear luggage space when jump seats are folded up. Minor soundproofing was also done wherever it was needed.
• Around October of last year, I got trained in automotive detailing and I left IT to devote myself full-time to the field of detailing. Last month, I was interested in testing out ceramic coating in our Bolero before beginning doorstep services. The Ayicon ceramic coat from Artdeshine was applied to the entire car.

Exterior:

Our bolero is 4107mm long, 1745mm wide and 1880mm high. The ground clearance is rated at 180 mm. The turning radius is 5.8m.

Front:

The front facia has a tall-butch stance and still commands good road presence
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1_1_11zon.jpg

Upright front windscreen with conventional wiper blades
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2_2_11zon.jpg

Twin windshield washers. Each unit has a single nozzle to spray water. Covers the windshield up to a certain extent when sprayed
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3_3_11zon.jpg

Notice the mild creases on the bonnet
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4_4_11zon.jpg

‘Hawk eye’ headlamp design
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5_5_11zon.jpg

Headlamp performance is good after the upgrade (90/100W). Fog lamps throw is adequate
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-low_6_11zon.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-high_5_11zon.jpg

Toothed front grill with Mahindra logo in chrome. Roots dual horn and radiator rests behind it
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7_6_11zon.jpg

Hefty metal bumpers
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-8_1_11zon.jpg

Space between the bumper and body. People who are unfamiliar with this, ask me if this is by design or car had an accident
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-9_2_11zon.jpg

The tow hook is given below. No under-body protection was given. Not absolutely needed but kind of good to have
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-10_3_11zon.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-11_4_11zon.jpg

Side:

The side profile design is minimalistic. The signature side strip runs along the entire section
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1.1_1_11zon.jpg

215/75 R15 tubeless tyres along with wheel covers
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2.1_2_11zon.jpg

On either side of the fenders, the side strips have turn indicators built-in
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3.1_3_11zon.jpg

The radio antenna sits on A-pillar. Can be drawn in/out manually but never really used them though
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4.1_4_11zon.jpg

Manually hand-adjustable ORVMs. They should have been wide instead of tall
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5.1_5_11zon.jpg

Old school flap-type door handle. Keyhole provided on the driver side only
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-6.1_6_11zon.jpg

Exposed door hinges. Notice the panel gap between the door and the body. After a nice wash, the door sills and sometimes the floor nearby also have to be cleaned due to water seepage
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7.1_7_11zon.jpg

Fixed 3rd-row windows. Relatively thin C and D pillars don’t obstruct visibility much when reversing
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-8.1_8_11zon.jpg

Faux vent on either side. Gets Bolero badging on the rear passenger side
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-9.1_1_11zon.jpg

Boxy Fuel cap that’s cable operated
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-10.1_2_11zon.jpg

Wheel arches. Both are hard plastic. Extends about 2 inches away from the body
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-11.1_3_11zon.jpg

Solid footsteps protruding out well with end caps at either edge made of plastic
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-12.1_4_11zon.jpg

On the left rear wheel arch, the end cap’s screwing hole provision itself gave up. Asked our carpenter to put extra screws on both rear arches, just for assurance. Why carpenter? Because no mechanic was bothered to fix it
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-13.1_5_11zon.jpg

Just pray to god that you shouldn’t hit your feet in this accidentally
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-14.1_6_11zon.jpg
Shan_Kmu is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:42   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later

Rear:

The rear look is SUV-ish thanks to spare wheel positioning
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1.2_1_11zon.jpg

Fixed rear windshield with exposed beading. ZLX variant has a rear 11” wiper and washer. It's challenging to find that size as most stores only carry a minimum 12"
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2.2_2_11zon.jpg

Spare wheel mounting is sturdy and bolted onto the body. Rubber buffers are given to prevent rattles. Hard plastic spare wheel cover. You need to open the inner cover to access the screws
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3.2_3_11zon.jpg

Tail lights are of simple design and fixed externally by 4 screws. Watch out for sharp edges
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4.2_4_11zon.jpg

Rear bumper is hard plastic. You need to remove these rectangular bits to access the screws/nuts that hold the bumper to the chassis
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5.2_5_11zon.jpg

Rear footstep is large and can handle the weight
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-6.2_6_11zon.jpg

Exposed body/chassis bolts and bushes. Avoid washing this area excessively. Can become rusty
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7.2_7_11zon.jpg

The number plate sticks out like a sore thumb. Could be better if it was tailgate mounted
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-8.2_1_11zon.jpg

Rear tow hook welded on to frame
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-9.2_2_11zon.jpg
Shan_Kmu is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Front:

Steering is slightly left-oriented if we look from the driver's seat (May be to liberate right-hand elbow space). Horn pad area is at the middle and the upgraded dual horn sounds loud
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1.4_1_11zon.jpg

Illuminated keyhole provided. The vehicle comes with Engine Immobilizer
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2.4_2_11zon.jpg

Sturdy stalks for lights and wipers
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3.4_3_11zon.jpg

Fog lamp switch and Horn melody maker are aftermarket parts. Hence placed separately below
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4.4_4_11zon.jpg

On the right side of dash we have AC vent, Headlight leveller, Switch to toggle between OEM and Dual horn and Micro hybrid Stop/Start (Never really used this though)
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5.4_5_11zon.jpg

The instrument cluster is digital and it shows Speed, RPM, Km run, Fuel level, Engine temperature, etc
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-6.4_6_11zon.jpg

Driver information system (DIS) which shows Distance to empty, Average mileage and hours driven. Nearby DIS is the hazard light switch
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7.4_7_11zon.jpg

Mid-section has two AC vents, music system that came by default (Kenwood) which has Bluetooth, Aux and USB connectivity. Also has a single 12V power socket
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-8.4_8_11zon.jpg

Decent sun visors. Only the passenger side visor has a mirror inside. Bluetooth mic is placed on the headliner.
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-9.4_9_11zon.jpg

Gear lever is hard plastic and is sturdy to hold
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-10.4_10_11zon.jpg

Window control for all four doors is here. Not separately on each door. Bit of an inconvenience. The console has few storage spaces
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-11.4_1_11zon.jpg

Day/Night rear view mirror. Be cautious while reversing. Be wary of Children/bikes/low-slung cars parked right behind you. They are almost invisible
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-12.4_2_11zon.jpg

AC controls, fan speed control, defogging and heater options.AC Fan speed has 3 settings. It gets quite noisy when set to 3rd. But as said earlier AC is quite chilling and powerful
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-13.4_3_11zon.jpg

Passenger side of the dash has AC vent, minor coin box below it, a solid grab handle and average sized glove box which is flimsy
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-14.4_4_11zon.jpg

The front doors pad looks basic, has a door handle, grab handle and small door pockets
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-15.4_5_11zon.jpg

Decently spaced A, B and C pedals
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-16.4_6_11zon.jpg

Front OEM speaker housing is side wall mounted in foot well (upgraded image dynamics units)
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-17.4_7_11zon.jpg

Fuel lid and bonnet unlock levers
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-fuel-bonnet-lever.jpg

Defoggers are given. But only the middle vents will blow air. Rest on the either side are of no use
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-19.4_8_11zon.jpg

Front seats are medium-sized and flat. Can be adjustable for reach but not for height. Aftermarket beadings provide some grip and airflow
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-20.4_9_11zon.jpg

Last edited by Shan_Kmu : 14th February 2023 at 12:43.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Mid-row:

When the front seats are pushed all way back, there is almost no room left behind
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1.5_1_11zon.jpg

The rear seats are large but not wide for 3 persons. Limited knee room also. Getting in and out of the middle row might be a bit difficult for the elderly. Rear passengers have to reach out to power window switch on the centre console or ask the driver to up or lower the window for them. BS6 Boleros have individual switches on rear door in addition to that on the console. Welcome move after 2 decades
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2.5_2_11zon.jpg

Only two neck restraints are provided in the rear seat
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3.5_3_11zon.jpg

Child lock given on rear doors
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4.5_4_11zon.jpg

Top mounted grab handles to hold for front and rear passengers. Not for the driver though
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5.5_5_11zon.jpg

The rear door pads don't have any storage
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-6.5_6_11zon.jpg

The floor pan is almost flat considering this a RWD vehicle
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7.5_7_11zon.jpg

3rd row:

The tailgate opens sideways
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-1.6_1_11zon.jpg

Third-row seats are strictly for emergency use only. Although it may seem absurd, it has occasionally come in handy when we need to transport a 6th person
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-2.6_2_11zon.jpg

The third-row floor is stepped up, thus there isn't much headroom for the passengers
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-3.6_3_11zon.jpg

The rear OEM speaker housing is also side wall mounted and is behind 3rd-row seats (upgraded focal units)
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-4.6_4_11zon.jpg

Rear interior light was upgraded to LED. HMSL affix at the rear windscreen. Looks like an afterthought. Rear defogger is not even an option
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-5.6_5_11zon.jpg

Car jack placed nearby 3rd-row seat. Supporting tools are stored below 3rd-row seat
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-6.6_6_11zon.jpg

Luggage space if 3rd-row seats are folded up. 2nd row can’t be folded
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-7.6_7_11zon.jpg
Shan_Kmu is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:01   #5
BHPian

The Driving experience:

Our Bolero is powered by a 2523 cc, 4-cylinder m2DiCR turbo diesel engine which produces 63hp at 3200 rpm and 195nm torque at 1400-2200 rpm. It’s an evolution of the old DI engine with a modern common rail direct injection system. These figures were indeed low for a car that weighs 1.6 tons but gearing and torque delivery at suitable rpm have masked the deficiency well up to a certain extent.

Get in the driver's seat and you will be greeted by interiors straight from the 90s. Brown and beige combo is used throughout the interior, not for everyone’s taste. Lower variants will get a all-grey interior. Many might think that Bolero is difficult to drive. On the contrary, it is very easy to drive due to the commanding view of the road. You can clearly see the front two corners (even better when we had that bull bar) and so you know precisely where you are heading in traffic/tight parking/narrow lanes. ORVMs pretty much do their job. Almost no blind spots for the driver due to the slim A-pillars. Ergonomics might be flawed for a few which is true but most of us who drive this regularly don’t care about it that much.

Fire up the engine and the gear lever dances along with it. If all windows are up with the AC ON, you won’t hear the engine noise much but with windows down, you can hear it well. Steering is hydraulic assisted and it’s meaty to hold. How good is it? It just steers. Don’t expect anything more like precision, feedback and other stuffs. At low speeds, it’s a bit heavy and at highway speeds, it does feel disconnected. The clutch and Brake pedals are placed bit high and some extra effort is needed to press them. Will be tiring in traffic conditions for new Bolero drivers. Later you will get accustomed. Consider it a leg exercise. The 5-speed manual gearbox (NGT-520) requires effort while changing gears when compared with regular cars. In 1st and 2nd gear, simply let go of the clutch to keep the car moving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. No acceleration is required. Also, the 2nd gear easily clears speed breaker tests. 3rd and 4th gear have good pull. 5th is tall and useful for cruising only.

Barring the leg workout which I mentioned earlier, it’s relatively easy to drive in the city. Minimal turbo lag, tall driving position, all-round visibility and narrow dimensions compliment us while driving in city traffic. In highways, it’s a different story altogether. Bolero isn't built for speed and the power band is also narrow. 0 to 80 kmph acceleration is satisfactory. After that, there’s not much acceleration we can expect from this engine. 80 kmph comes around 1750 rpm. 90 kmph comes around 2000 rpm. Over 90 kmph, you are at the outer band of the engine’s performance and the car starts to lose stability. I’m not surprised by private buses passing me effortlessly in Chennai-Trichy Highway. Overtaking in state highways needs proper planning. I seriously envy whenever I see the 97hp Bolero Storm with the CRDe engine. Would have definitely bought that one if it was available during our time. Don’t know why Mahindra gave it only a limited run. But the beauty of this mill is that you can go from as low as 35~40 kmph to top speed in 5th gear alone without engine knocking. That much good is the tractability.

Braking duties are performed by disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the rear. Braking performance is adequate but not close to being called as good. Bolero comes with coil springs at the front and leaf springs at the rear. Hence the ride is unsettled most times. Only if fully loaded the ride quality is improved. Occupants definitely will experience the body roll in turns or on sudden lane manoeuvring. Expect a nosedive under hard braking. Large profile tyres somewhat help to soak up bumps and potholes at normal speeds. In case of ride comfort and handling is your top priority, please look somewhere else.

The place where you will appreciate bolero is where there’s bad roads or no roads. Yes, it’s not a 4X4 but the rear wheel drive set up along with robust suspension setup can withstand beating and take you places where other similarly priced 2WD cars cannot. After driving in those rough terrains, in the end it would be the occupants who will be thrown around and tired, not the Bolero.

Fuel efficiency:

I usually drive light-footed. If roads are open, I cruise between 80 to 90 kmph, not more than that. Rarely have I crossed 100 kmph. Based on AFE info shown on DIS, on city traffic I get 12 to 14kmpl. On state highways, I get 15 to 17 kmpl. On national highways around 18 to 22kmpl on varied conditions. On hilly incline roads these figures drop to 8 to 12 kmpl. These FE figures seem too optimistic, in the real world, it should be 1 or 2 km less.

Tested tank to tank method a few days back. We did a round trip from Kumbakonam – Chennai – Vellore – Tirupattur – Ulundurpet – Kumbakonam. The trip consists of driving in 40% highways 50% two-lane roads and 10% city traffic. When the tank was ¼ available, filled fuel till auto cut off. About 46.61 litres were consumed for 720 km at that time which roughly translated to 15kmpl which is not bad for this vehicle right?

Repairs/Essential replacements done other than general maintenance over the years:

2016: Wiper blades were replaced 2 weeks after vehicle purchase. Can’t remember the brand but it offered the worst wipe. Must have replaced at least 6 sets of wipers in these 6 years of ownership.

The left rear door was met with a minor blow precisely at the door locking mechanism. We asked Mahindra A.S.S for the entire door to be replaced using insurance, but they told us it can be repaired instead. They assured 90% it can be brought back to form. At the end, they delivered the same.

2021: During the lockdown, rats gnawed the bonnet foam and wires leading to rear lights. Found it dead behind rear tail light section. Took it to A.S.S and wires were repaired but the total package bill for the rat mess is around Rs 5,000.

Went to my wife’s town where I had to park car in an open space on the roadside. Someone broke/hit one of the front fog lamps. I decided to replace them both as they have yellowed. It cost me 1,200 Rs.

A few months later again in my wife’s town, Street dogs chewed up clutch hose which is present under the body and clutch oil was fully drained. Clutch couldn’t be engaged. Then, we brought a FNG mechanic. He came with a new clutch hose which costed around 200 Rs. Threw the old one away and attached the new clutch hose. Topped up clutch oil and then car is ready to move on.

During a night drive, both headlamps stopped working. Our home was only 10 km away. Slowly drove with fog lamps alone. Upon inspection with FNG Mechanic, the Root’s headlamp relay was at fault. Replaced it with a new one. Costed around 300~350 Rs.

Factory Bridgestone Dueler 689 HT tyres worked well for 5 ½ years and 53k km. Replaced them with 4 new MRF wanderer XT tyres. Got fresh 3-month-old tyres for Rs 5900 per piece.

Factory fitted Amaron battery served us for 5 years. Replaced it with the same brand. New one costed Rs 6,800. With old battery taken at Rs 2,200, I paid the remaining price.

2022: The ordeal due to rats happened for a year despite all measures and it was dead inside the AC duct behind the dash. This time drove it straight to FNG. It costed me 3,500 Rs.

One night, Again headlamps went kaput. I thought the Root’s relay failed once again but it was the 20 A fuse that got burnt. Replaced it with 30 A fuse and continued our journey. The next day at FNG, electrician suggested replacing the single fuse carrier as well, since it had slightly melted residue inside. Costed some 100~150 Rs.

The car’s front bumper was slightly misaligned for past 5 years. It was a minor eyesore for me. Went to Tinker's shop and he rectified it by slightly moving the left side of the bumper little high and screwed it back. Costed 200 Rs.

Fogging happens during night drives/rain on the front windscreen when AC is ON. Consulted the same with A.S.S and FNG mechanics. They say it is an inherent problem in Bolero. Front Defogger is of no use.

The car developed a strong judder only when braking from high speed. FNG found it’s due to uneven front disc wear. They told that we can either repair or replace it. I requested them to repair it. They removed both discs, put it in the lathe and then levelled it. As they said, around 80% of the issue is rectified.

After some 6k km, again juddering was there and went to the same FNG for further inspection. This time they levelled disc hubs in the lathe and re-fitted them. Again almost 80% is corrected.

A few weeks ago, there was starting trouble. Even if used regularly, the car started only after 4 to 5 cranks. The battery was only 8 months old, checked the voltage and it was normal. This issue was occurring intermittently. FNG mechanic told self-motor needs to be opened up for inspection. Checking revealed that the armature and winding were damaged. Got a refurbished one that had a new armature and winding for 4,500 Rs and fitted it.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance:

Bolero is reasonably cheap to maintain when compared to present-day BOF MUVs and SUVs. For the first 4 years the car was serviced at A.S.S and for the last 2 years, I started giving it to FNG. Service interval is 10,000km or 1 year whichever is earlier.

At A.S.S - 10k, 20k and 30k km services costed an average of 3,000 to 4,500. 40k km service costed around Rs 7,000 as it needed few extra services (Wheel pack greasing, Gearbox/Differential oil change, etc.)

At FNG – the 50k km service costed close to Rs 6,000 which includes new front brake pads and front brake discs skimming. 60k km service costed Rs 4,800 including front disc hubs skimming.

Apart from brake juddering and self-motor issues, no other major issues we have faced till now.
Engine/Clutch/Gearbox and Suspension – All the basics are robust and performing well. Nothing has been replaced under warranty.

Last edited by Shan_Kmu : 14th February 2023 at 14:08.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 15:15   #6
BHPian

The smaller yet significant things:

Remote key and the spare key
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-img_20230214_141304700_3_11zon.jpg

The engine bay is large and has ample space to work on with
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-engine-bay_3_11zon.jpg

Tyre pressure ratings are given. I’m maintaining at 33psi all around
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-tp_2_11zon.jpg

Front-wheel well has some rubber pads sticking out to prevent muck from entering engine bay area. Very minimal cladding at front and rear wheel area
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-rubber-ins_8_11zon.jpg

Ribbed roof for added rigidity. Roof slopes a little bit down in the front
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-roof_7_11zon.jpg

Rain gutters are rare sight in today’s age. Speaks about the unchanged body shell for 2 decades
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-rain-gutter_5_11zon.jpg

Panel gaps are wide and in some places uneven also – ex: between bonnet and engine bay
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-panel-gap_4_11zon.jpg

Window beadings are ill-fitted
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-w-beading_3_11zon.jpg

The doors won’t auto lock. You have to manually do it
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-door-lock_2_11zon.jpg

Front and rear doors open pretty wide and they are held by this tiny strap. Quite thick and lasts long. Also, Simple push won’t close the doors. You have to slam it. You won’t hear ‘thud’ sound when closing the doors. You will hear ‘bang’ or ‘boom’
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-straps_1_11zon.jpg

Looks like some sort of metal sealant/paste
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-sealant_4_11zon.jpg

GC below bumper (approx 290mm), GC below lower arm (approx 180mm), GC below Rear axle (approx 180mm)
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-gc-bumper_7_11zon.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-gc-lower-arm_1_11zon.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-gc-diff_8_11zon.jpg

Ample space between tyres and fenders/wheel arches
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-arch-gap_1_11zon.jpg

OEM Mud flaps are small. So still mud splashes on front end caps and rear number plate
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-front-mudgaurd_5_11zon.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-rear-mudguard_6_11zon.jpg

Spare wheel gets a locking provision. Look at the hole in the top-right bolt. You can use a small padlock
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-spare-wheel-nut_5_11zon.jpg

60 litre fuel tank and its protective sheet, both are metal
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-fuel-tank_6_11zon.jpg

Exhaust tail pipe held by a hook welded to it
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-exhaust-pipe_4_11zon.jpg

Bonus Pics:

The original look of the car during delivery. Lot has changed now
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-d-day.jpg

Our dog enjoying his ride
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-jacks.jpg

During our visit to Munnar and Kodaikanal last year
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-munnaar-1.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-munnaar-2.jpg
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-kodai_1_11zon.jpg

Few shots during and after the ceramic coating and interior restoration process
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-zombodroid_140220230249311.jpg

Mods planned and failed:

During covid first wave, planned to give it a stage 1+ tune from Wolf Moto but after preliminary talks and checks with Wolf Moto, it was found that m2DiCR Boleros have Delphi ECUs which can’t be tuned. But Boleros with 1.5L mHAWK engines are tuned by Wolf as they had Bosch ECUs

Instead of converting dual tone to single tone look, I was initially planning to paint it fully in gloss black or in nardo grey. Prices varied from 40,000 to 70,000 Rs across various reputed paint shops. I thought it’s not viable for me as the start-up I was working for at that time was heavily incurring losses during covid first wave and I had 2 months pending salary. As expected a few weeks later, a bunch of us were fired from the company. Glad I saved some money without doing the full re-paint

Conclusion:

Is Bolero still relevant in the modern automotive world? might or might not be. Bolero has more flaws than strengths. And I made my purchase despite being aware of the majority of its shortcomings. Do I regret making the choice? No, except when private buses/empty trucks/vans/cars overtake me in NH which they do all the time. But I do wish it could have been a better product with a little more power, safety and comfort. BTW, BS6 Boleros have dual airbags (from the 2022 model), ABS, 1.5L 3 cyl engine with little more power and torque (75hp vs 63hp and 215nm vs 195nm) and better refinement. I believe the 1.5L mill will offer similar reliability that DI and m2DiCR are known for. Mahindra knows that reliability is one of Bolero’s fortes.

OG Bolero (not the Neo) is a vehicle no people or experts will suggest you to buy. You have to like it first, take a test drive and understand what this relic offers for the money you are going to pay, then buy it only if you are convinced of it.

I sincerely hope you all liked reading this ownership review. I'll be keeping this thread updated on my Bolero's progress on a regular basis. Thank you!

Last edited by Shan_Kmu : 14th February 2023 at 15:31.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 17:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

A good no-nonsense vehicle.

I hope you oil that antenna once in a while; have seen some of them become rust bucket and getting stuck due to non usage.

That fog lamp switch plate edges looks like it will given someone a cut, if not careful.

All the best with your detailing venture.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 18:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just wow. That looks fantastic, love that you heard your heart and went for the Bolero. I saw one in Vijayawada (the BSVI), it looked pretty good. Rugged and well built. You have a beautiful house! Many happy miles of driving.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:44   #9

Despite currently owning one of the German trios, a Jeep Compass and many other vehicles in the past, I still dream of owning a OG-Bolero. There is something about the body-line and proportions of this car that has had me give a 2nd look every time I see one on the road. Congratulations on owning one. Here's wishing you many more years with the OG.
sea_eagle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:54   #10

Hey buddy, Would you mind if I post my Bolero here?

My Bolero M2DICR came home as brand new in August 2016. Still remember the day when I drove it out from Zulaikha Motors, Velachery. This morning, after 6.5 years, the odometer stands at 141000 kilometers. The vehicle is serviced regularly at either Zulaikha Motors or MM Motors Chennai. I also have a lorry mechanic in my neighbourhood whom I trust for other maintenance works . During the past 6.5 years, following were the major works done other than routine services.

1) Factory fitted Brdgestone deuler HT (215-75R15) was changed to Conti Cross Contact AT (235-75R15) at 86000 Kilometers (Yes, you read it right, there was thread available for another 5K when I changed them)
2) Self Motor Armature was changed at around 90 K mark
3) Battery was replaced at around 1 lakh/4 year
4) AC Evaporator Coil was changed at 1.12 K kilometers
5) Rear Leaf was serviced at 1 lakh Kms by the lorry mechanic with the help of a 'lathe' shop
6) Clutch plate along with release springs were changed at 1.04 lakh Kilomters. (Interesting to note that my total expense was Rs. 5.9 K against MASS quoted Rs. 12 K )

The vehicle is running smooth, although, we have now acquired Bolero Neo N4 last year for long drives. The M2DICR is now restricted to Chennai City Limits alone. M2DICR is now at Tuticorin for a short trip and is all fine.

Works planned to be done in near future

1) 140K service (although the vehicle has completed 141K as on date)
2) Master Cylinder and Sleeve Cylinder check up and replacement if necessary for the clutch
3) Replacement of self motor as it has started showing its age again.
4) Denting works (The jeep has got its share of dents from Chennai traffic)

I am attaching a snap taken yesterday at Pamban Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero Review | 7 years and 70,000 km later-bolero-pamban-bridge.jpg  

madrasilemon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 12:11   #11

" The manager welcomed us and he asked which vehicle we want to book. He looked just as perplexed as my parents did when I said Bolero. He requested us to consider TUV 300/XUV 500 which would better suit my profession/our family to which I politely refused. Manager grinned and instructed SA to assist us."

Loved reading your post @Shan_Kmu

When I went to Mahindra showroom in Bengaluru, the enthusiasm of a new buyer evaporated as soon as they heard the word Bolero. The rep promptly pointed to a display car in the corner of the showroom floor and left me alone. There were a few couples checking out the XUV400. All grins, smiles, attention and reception energies of the showroom flowed in that direction.

I checked. Sat inside. Looked around. Got off. Asked for a test drive. "Not possible now Sir". And left me alone again.

I would buy this car in a heartbeat!
gypsygenes is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Beautiful! Like a no-nonsense vehicle, your writeup to goes along the same lines. Very well-kept vehicle. Keep munching more miles!
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 14:14   #13
BHPian

Such a detailed review. Good job Shan_Kmu.
Bolero is really a no nonsense vehicle. It only has the required things, no fancy things and no sophisticated electricals to go wrong with. It will surely take one to places without fail. Just like Gunin da's Bolero.

Happy motoring.
dolphinjazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 14:20   #14
BHPian

Hi,
I am currently on my third Scorpio. Had a TUV 300 as well. However every time I go past a Bolero I give it a long look, wishing I had the courage to buy one. It must be something about the clean lines , the basic uncluttered, boxy, old world charm look.

Your Bolero looks great . Wishing you many more years and miles of Happy driving.
Ganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 16:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow such a nicely maitanined Bolero and very detailed ownership review. Thanks for sharing.

I have said this before and I say it again. Rugged, diesel powered, clattery (in a good sense), unrefined (I explain that later), private vehicles will very soon be a thing of the past.

What with the advent of eerly silent EVs and Mild hybrids, what will be missed is the certain "feel" and "fun factor" driving torquey, rugged and clattery (I call that diesel roar) diesels. I would say, enjoy as much as you can, for tomorrow is the era of refined and ultra silent cars. Not that I am against EVs, but there is a certain place in my heart for the roar of the engine and the ruggedness which the new generation will miss. NVH be damned.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks