Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 11:55   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti WagonR LXi is sweet 18! EDIT: Now sold

Congratulations Sir on your wonderful ownership of the Wagon R. Frankly speaking, I don't have too much affinity towards tall-boy looks but the WagonR looks smart and better than other tall boys in the hatch market.

But the Maruti reliability has been phenomenal when I read about yours, Parag's & even consider my experience. My Zen will be completing it's 11 years this December and it's still niggle free literally & very very nimble on its feet. It's the old Jelly bean MPFI model and was bought by my father in 2002. I was 19 then. It manages 15-16 KMPL W/o AC in city consistently. Only last week it was taken for a 1000 km run over a period of 3 days and not a single problem cropped up anywhere. FE returned was 20 KMPL!
The car hasnot run much though hence it is on it's second set of tyres- Michelins with alloys. Just like your family, I am also emotionally attached to my car which has been proving its worth for so many years without a single failure. Rock solid reliability.

Read your entire thread in one go. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd November 2013 at 11:56.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:28   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
. My Zen will be completing it's 11 years this December and it's still niggle free literally & very very nimble on its feet. It's the old Jelly bean MPFI model and was bought by my father in 2002. I was 19 then. It manages 15-16 KMPL W/o AC in city consistently. Only last week it was taken for a 1000 km run over a period of 3 days and not a single problem cropped up anywhere. FE returned was 20 KMPL!
The car hasnot run much though hence it is on it's second set of tyres- Michelins with alloys. Just like your family, I am also emotionally attached to my car which has been proving its worth for so many years without a single failure. Rock solid reliability.

Regards,
Saket
My pleasure, Saket. I must confess that the Zen was my favourite car at that point of time which I could afford, but when I went to buy it, was disappointed that an MPFI version was not available. I wasn't sure if the pre-MPFI model would be legal in the coming years, given the new pollution laws that were being framed (Euro1/ BS1). Hence I dropped the idea. And frankly speaking, I wasn't too impressed with the shape of the Waggy or the Santro. It was only a couple of years later that both started selling like hotcakes, and I stopped feeling guilty of owning a breadbox on wheels!

Even today, I still admire a Zen. Whenever I spotted a VW Golf in the US, I invariably used to get reminded of the Zen. MSIL did injustice to this country by discontinuing it.

It was only from this forum that I found out that the pre-MPFI Zen was a much acclaimed car. Only FE was not as good as the MPFI Version, I guess, going by your car's admirable figures.

Wish you many happy miles of 'Zenning'.

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd November 2013 at 12:31.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 18:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

My mood got put off this morning at work, when my daughter called and said 'Dad, the front left tyre got flat on my return from morning class'.

'Where are you?' was my question. 'At office, I've left the car at home and taken the scooter' was the response. 'I noticed something wrong with the steering, while driving home from the class, but around 1 km from home, a passing car told me that the front left tyre seemed flat. As the road was busy, I drove further onto the side lane and had a look. It appeared flat, so I drove half km till home and parked it there'.

'Oh no, you might have fried the tubeless tyre, rendering it useless', was my answer.

'Have I not told you not to drive on a flat tyre?'. 'Instead of spending a couple of hundreds, we might have to cough up 3000 for a new tyre' was my admonition.

Anyways, kids learn only the hard way. I knew I had to leave early, lest she have to drive for her morning class tomorrow on a scooter, in chilly weather. This apart, I was worried about putting a new tyre as it would not match with the older 3 that had done 22 K already over the past 5 years.

After reaching home, I parked the Fiesta right next to the Waggy and found the front tyre completely flat. But on closer inspection, the valve did not appear to be bent (they usually get damaged when driven without air), and there also did not seem to be any sidewall damage.

So instead of removing the stepney, I thought why not fill in some air using the compressor. I tried, but the compressor would not switch on, despite fiddling with the 12 V socket, putting the key in ACC position, etc.
I thought the compressor was dead, as I'd used it last around 4 months ago.

As the Fiesta was right beside, I tried using its socket. And bingo, it started working. So I filled in air and was happy to see the tyre looking normal. I tried to listen to any hissing sound of air leaking, but found none. So instead of visiting the roadside puncture wallah, I drove 3 kms to a tyre dealer (Wheelo City) and got the wheel removed and inspected. Everything seemed fine, except a minor leak at the part of the tyre that sits on the rim. They said that rust from the wheel led to air leakage and there was no nail or object. They cleaned the rim, filled in air and checked again. All seemed ok. Let me see how it goes.

Total damage to pocket: Rs 100.

While on this, I must say I am disappointed with MASS as it appears they have not re-connected the 12 V socket when they removed and refixed the dashboard during the last service to prevent rattles.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
While on this, I must say I am disappointed with MASS as it appears they have not re-connected the 12 V socket when they removed and refixed the dashboard during the last service to prevent rattles.
Please also check the fuse. Once the socket on my car failed too. Later was diagnosed as a blown out fuse. However, since the dashboard was removed, there is a probability that the wires were not connected back too.

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd December 2013 at 12:34.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Please also check the fuse. Once the socket on my car failed too. Later was diagnosed as a blown out fuse. However, since the dashboard was removed, there is a probability that the wires were not connected back too.
Good idea regarding the fuse. Thanks.

So far, I've not had a chance to get the car examined, though the service center is less than 1.5 kms away. I have the time, but my daughter is using the car regularly from 6 am in the morning till 10 pm. I'll look for a day when she gets a break from her coaching classes and find out what needs to be fixed.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:58   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good idea regarding the fuse. Thanks.

So far, I've not had a chance to get the car examined, though the service center is less than 1.5 kms away. I have the time, but my daughter is using the car regularly from 6 am in the morning till 10 pm. I'll look for a day when she gets a break from her coaching classes and find out what needs to be fixed.
It is definitely going to be fuse as Saket77 mentions. Depending on where the 12v socket has sourced power from it may have rendered your music system non-functional for now.

Check for either the fuse marked CIGAR or RADIO/DOME as either one of them would have conked off (depending on the wiring) and replace that with the spare fuses that you will usually find inside the fuse box cover.

Many of these 12v Air compressors would take a lot of load initially that often blows the fuses and it is mostly the case with your WagonR as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2013 at 18:59.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is definitely going to be fuse as Saket77 mentions. Depending on where the 12v socket has sourced power from it may have rendered your music system non-functional for now.

Check for either the fuse marked CIGAR or RADIO/DOME as either one of them would have conked off (depending on the wiring) and replace that with the spare fuses that you will usually find inside the fuse box cover.

Many of these 12v Air compressors would take a lot of load initially that often blows the fuses and it is mostly the case with your WagonR as well.
Thanks Parag. I'll give it a shot and get back in a couple of days.

If I'm not mistaken, the fusebox is below the bottom tray on the dash, close to the driver's right knee, right? I am a bit confused because on Ford cars,it is behind the glove box.

By the way, the music system is fully functional. It is always on when my daughter drives. If it were not working, I'd have got a million escalations by now.

Last edited by vnabhi : 3rd December 2013 at 21:15.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:07   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the fusebox is below the bottom tray on the dash, close to the driver's right knee, right? I am a bit confused because on Ford cars,it is behind the glove box.
Yes Sir, the fuse in most Marutis are under the steering wheel, RHS corner. Also, since the dash was opened & fitted back, there is a possibility that they forgot to clip the wires back.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 23:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for not updating this thread for long. Soon after the suggestions given by fellow members, I took the car to the accessories shop nearby (not Maruti dealer) and he got the issue settled in 5 minutes. What I'd suspected turned out to be true: after the dashboard removal and re-attachment by MUL dealer, they'd simply not bothered to connect the 12 v charger. Imagine this cardinal negligence, considering the charges I'd paid!

I also tried to get the rear rattles fixed by the same guy. After several tweaks, we realised that it was the cracked rear bumper that was producing those. Over the past 12+ years, it had taken several hits, and had got cracked at one place. Looks like I'll get that addressed in the next service.

So far, Ol' Faithful has covered 69250 kms, and going strong.
Old 10th May 2014, 19:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Varun Motors today reminding me that the annual service is due. The odo now reads 70700 kms, up by around 4700 kms from end of last May.

What surprised me was that they now seem to be advocating 'home servicing' option. They charge Rs 200 extra for it, and I believe a van comes with a couple of technicians and gets the car washed and serviced at your doorstep. Even oils and repairs are done. All jobs except WA/WB are done at home.

This seems to be a novel concept. I am reluctant to try it out, as I don't think they can jet spray water under the car while washing. This apart, there will be more skilled technicians at the service center, so I dare not bank on the guys they depute.

Has anyone availed this unique service?
Old 10th May 2014, 20:12   #101
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
What surprised me was that they now seem to be advocating 'home servicing' option. They charge Rs 200 extra for it, and I believe a van comes with a couple of technicians and gets the car washed and serviced at your doorstep. Even oils and repairs are done. All jobs except WA/WB are done at home.

This seems to be a novel concept. I am reluctant to try it out, as I don't think they can jet spray water under the car while washing. This apart, there will be more skilled technicians at the service center, so I dare not bank on the guys they depute.

Has anyone availed this unique service?
There was a report on T-BHP about how a Hyderabad dealer offered this service to customers at no extra cost. And the BHPian was happy with the service.

Coming to the service, I think it's incredibly convenient.

If you have any major part replacements(or repairs), I think you would rather take it to ASC. If it's just an inspection with a top-up of a couple of fluids and you don't have the time, it may well be worth it.

Coming to the water jet-spray, I think they do have a electric(not sure) motor to serve the purpose. And to save his reputation, the dealer may send good(not the best) SAs to your place.

Do tell us about your experience if you avail this service.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 21:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
There was a report on T-BHP about how a Hyderabad dealer offered this service to customers at no extra cost. And the BHPian was happy with the service.

Coming to the service, I think it's incredibly convenient.

If you have any major part replacements(or repairs), I think you would rather take it to ASC. If it's just an inspection with a top-up of a couple of fluids and you don't have the time, it may well be worth it.

Coming to the water jet-spray, I think they do have a electric(not sure) motor to serve the purpose. And to save his reputation, the dealer may send good(not the best) SAs to your place.

Do tell us about your experience if you avail this service.
+1 to your views. I am not sure I'll avail it as my car will complete 13 years this July, and I'd like them to have a thorough inspection of all parts at the ASC, though it entails my driving 4 kms to the center two times.

Had it been just a normal service with oil change, I'd have surely given it a shot.

However, I am curious where they will wash the car, if I opt for it. Won't it leave the parking spot messy with water and oil on the floor? It done outside the complex, it will be too sunny for them to do a good job.
Old 13th June 2014, 13:51   #103
Senior - BHPian

Finally, after many reminders, I got the WagonR serviced yesterday at Varun Motors, Begumpet. The odo was 71141, and it had covered 5125 kms from last year's service.

The only items that needed special attention were rattles from the rear (perhaps from the speakers or the cracked bumper), a slightly mis-aligned plastic trim on the left of the front seat, a missing door handle knob and fixing new ORVMs (as the after-market one on the left was not holding its position).

I declined their suggestion of engine decarbonising and gear oil change.

The service cost was Rs 5989, which included throttle body cleaning at Rs 750, and ORVMs for Rs 700. They also used 3.7 liters of Castrol Synthetic oil for the first time, so the cost of oil doubled from Rs 1100 last year.

So far so good. I still need to check if the rattles have been fixed. But the new-shape ORVMs do have a very wide viewing angle, akin to those in my Fiesta and Figo.

The Waggie will complete 13 years in a month and a half. Still going strong and very pocket-friendly.

WagonR Service June 2014.pdf

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th June 2014 at 13:53.
Old 13th June 2014, 14:22   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
which included throttle body cleaning at Rs 750, and ORVMs for Rs 700. They also used 3.7 liters of Castrol Synthetic oil for the first time, so the cost of oil doubled from Rs 1100 last year.

So far so good. I still need to check if the rattles have been fixed. But the new-shape ORVMs do have a very wide viewing angle, akin to those in my Fiesta and Figo.
The new Leaf type convex Mirrors are any day better to the flat mirrors that we got in our models. I intentionally changed the mirrors way back in 2011 when I drove to Gujarat knowing that I will need a good wide view on both my ORVMs since the Mumbai-Baroda stretch was 6 lanes and needed constant lane changing to overtake.

I am sure as days pass by, you will begin to love these mirrors due to this reason.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 14:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I am sure as days pass by, you will begin to love these mirrors due to this reason.
+1 to your views. The original one in my car was only on the driver's side. I got a duplicate one from Karol Bagh for Rs 100 for the left side, as I did not want to pay Rs 400 for the original way back in 2001.

But the one on the left started swaying from its position with wind for the past few years, which was annoying, and also dangerous on the highway. This apart, the small cap fitted on it to cover the body used to fall off often (after all the mirror assembly was a duplicate one),and I got sick of paying around 80 to 100 bucks to replace it.

When I pointed out to the SA yesterday, he said he'd fit another cap. I firmly said no, but asked him to replace the whole mirror on the left, along with the cap. But he said it might be difficult to get that shape mirror, especially for the left side. That is when I told him to fix new ones on both sides with the new shape. I am happy that things have turned out to be great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks