Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
They had not replaced the struts but greased them. They charged around Rs 800 for that job.
Pardon my ignorance but what does strut greasing encompass? Does it mean taking apart the strut assembly and greasing the housing? What happens to the damper?
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what does strut greasing encompass? Does it mean taking apart the strut assembly and greasing the housing? What happens to the damper?
I'm not sure of the technicalities, boss. But the job did not have the desired effect, and even my son started complaining that the car produces too many creaking sounds over bumps and uneven surfaces.

Therefore I went to Varun Motors once again last month and insisted on changing the struts. I also asked them to adjust the money they'd charged for greasing.

I got the car back the same evening and I had to pay Rs 4000 for the struts. The car runs like a dream now.

Other items changed were a new HU and speakers at the rear (the original HU was only a cassette player with a conked out light )that cost me 7000 and new seat covers for Rs 4000. The only other expense I foresee over the next few months is the battery, as the current one has been doing duty for more than 62 months.

Last edited by vnabhi : 22nd November 2010 at 12:04.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Nabhi,

I have my R from April 05 and still going strong!! but after the last servicing on 19 Nov-I am getting a tinny sound from front whenever the road is uneven or over a bump-do I have to check out the struts???
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I had to pay Rs 4000 for the struts. The car runs like a dream now.
I guess you mean Rs. 4000 for dampers in the strut assembly. Which brand did you go for? MGP? Munjal? Was 4k inclusive of labour charges as well or just the hardware?
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Nabhi,

I have my R from April 05 and still going strong!! but after the last servicing on 19 Nov-I am getting a tinny sound from front whenever the road is uneven or over a bump-do I have to check out the struts???
I think you should, going by the huge number of miles you have crunched. In my case it was a groaning kind of sound.

Moreover, since it happened after servicing, you can ask them to check it out for free.

One age-old method for locating defects in shocks is to get out of the car and press the bonnet down hard above each wheel. The car should get back to the original height without bouncing up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbhatia View Post
I guess you mean Rs. 4000 for dampers in the strut assembly. Which brand did you go for? MGP? Munjal? Was 4k inclusive of labour charges as well or just the hardware?
It was MGP and the charges were all-inclusive.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th September 2011 at 16:16. Reason: back to back posts
Old 16th April 2011, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: 9 Years with the WagonR and still going strong

Folks

My Waggie has crossed 56700 Kms on the odo now, and I do remember changing the stock tyres when the odo read 46500 or so. Is it a good time to go for wheel rotation and alignment/ balancing? The tyre replacements took place in July, 2008.

Thanks.
Old 16th April 2011, 15:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

My Waggie has crossed 56700 Kms on the odo now, and I do remember changing the stock tyres when the odo read 46500 or so. Is it a good time to go for wheel rotation and alignment/ balancing? The tyre replacements took place in July, 2008.

Thanks.
My wagonr too is at almost 57000 kms on the odo now (567xx something when I saw yesterday) and still runs on the bridgestone tyres she came with.

Has been faithful all this while from 2002 onwards. That makes it 9th year in the running.

Only expense so far has been the brakeshoe change because of some stupid mechanic and a wheel alignment once in addition to sporadic oil changes. Otherwise, have a cracked taillamp & a bruised side courtesy a goods van. The front suspension isnt working like how it should be.

Hail the wagonr
Old 17th April 2011, 16:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
My wagonr too is at almost 57000 kms on the odo now (567xx something when I saw yesterday) and still runs on the bridgestone tyres she came with.

Has been faithful all this while from 2002 onwards. That makes it 9th year in the running.

Only expense so far has been the brakeshoe change because of some stupid mechanic and a wheel alignment once in addition to sporadic oil changes. Otherwise, have a cracked taillamp & a bruised side courtesy a goods van. The front suspension isnt working like how it should be.

Hail the wagonr
That's a stupendous achievement! My stock tyres got a wee bit slippery when the odo was around 46 K, and hence I changed them. They were however not bald.

I do agree that the Waggie has proved to be a very reliable vehicle, but my expenditure was more than yours, mostly from the 7th year onwards. Following were my spends:-

July 2008: Rs 9200 on 4 tyres
June 2009: Rs 2700 on brake pads and wiper blades
Sep 2009: Rs 7900 on 2 drive shafts
Oct 2010: Rs 4000 on front struts
Nov 2010: Rs 4000 on new leather seat covers

Add Rs 300 for 2 or 3 bulb changes and ORVM cover change.

I got feedback that it is good to rotate tyres every 10000 kms, so I plan to get this done next week. She will be 10 this July end

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2011, 22:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

With the odo past 57 K kms, the Waggie started emitting some squeaky noise during cold starts. I suspected the fan belt and inspected it. To me it felt too hard and I did not find any play when I pressed it in the middle of both ends where it is supported.

I took it to Saboo Motors (MASS) nearby and the mechanic suggested I change not only the water pump belt (fan belt) but also the AC belt. He carried out both in an hour and I was charged Rs 730 in all.

Everything looked good, and even the manual recommends change of the water pump belt at 60 K.

But this morning, the same squeaky sound came on a cold start, and it appeared to last at least for a couple of seconds more, which got me perplexed. Is it normal for new belts to emit squeaks?

Any clue, guys?
Old 9th June 2011, 14:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

I took my car to Saboo Motors today to report about the squeaky sound during cold starts, despite changing the fan and AC belts.
The SA inspected the engine bay, and used a long rod to move the block that the belt was mounted on, after loosening the belt first. After tightening the belt again, the sound seems to have vanished.
Will report again during a cold engine start later.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hi Null,

In the interest of safety, do move on to newer tyres. The tyres are over their usable/good lifespan. Even if the treads show promise, the rubber hardens over time. Tiny cracks too are noticeable at the corners.

A good time to invest in tyres as your WagonR has kept you smiling all along.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianv2 View Post
Hi Null,

In the interest of safety, do move on to newer tyres. The tyres are over their usable/good lifespan. Even if the treads show promise, the rubber hardens over time. Tiny cracks too are noticeable at the corners.

A good time to invest in tyres as your WagonR has kept you smiling all along.
+1 to this. Tyres generally get hard after 7 years.

As regards the fan belt squeaks on my Waggie, the issue seems to have been sorted out.
Old 10th June 2011, 16:37   #28
BHPian

@ vnabhi : I also own a Wagon-R Vxi ( model : Nov 2007) and have done around 26k kms till date.

Am happy with the car and do not have any issues. The only difficulty i am facing at present is, when i need to shift to 1st gear from the 2nd, it is difficult to do so when the car is in motion & the gear sort of gets struck.

As You know, with a full load of 4-5 people with AC on, i need to downshift to 1st on roads where you encounter a road hump on a upward gradient.

Kindly let me know, if your Waggie does not have this downshifting problem.
Old 10th June 2011, 16:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
@ vnabhi : I also own a Wagon-R Vxi ( model : Nov 2007) and have done around 26k kms till date.

Am happy with the car and do not have any issues. The only difficulty i am facing at present is, when i need to shift to 1st gear from the 2nd, it is difficult to do so when the car is in motion & the gear sort of gets struck.

As You know, with a full load of 4-5 people with AC on, i need to downshift to 1st on roads where you encounter a road hump on a upward gradient.

Kindly let me know, if your Waggie does not have this downshifting problem.
I used to face issues with a tight shift for the 5th gear when the car was new, but not so after a few months. I don't face any issue with downshifting to 1st over a speed-breaker, but the gears are a bit rubbery in the Waggie when compared to other cars in the segment like Santro.

I dont downshift to 1st when the car is at moderate speed, instead I wait for the moment when it hits the hump, and then change to 1st while it is over it. In any car, if the engine speed is high, it is tough to downshift to 1st, and is also not good for the car.

Make sure you depress the clutch all the way when you shift gears. Some people tend to depress only three-fourths of the way and shift, which is again not good for the clutch plates and gear box.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 13:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

When I told my kids today that I've completed 3 decades of service, they reminded me that the Waggie also completed 1 decade with us today!

I can't believe that this car is 10 years old! The paint still shines, nary a few scratches here and there. I never went for Teflon or any other polish so far.

I renewed the insurance yesterday for Rs 2400 on an IDV of Rs 91000. I am strongly getting tempted to buy a new hatch owing to the attractive lease scheme my company provides, but have been resisting it as the Waggie is still as good as new. Instead of selling it, I plan to give it to my son who has joined in a job recently. My wife uses is regularly too. There is an advantage of having an old car in the house, as driving to the most crowded areas will not deter us.

Even the battery is gonna complete 6 years in a couple of months, adding to the feel good factor.

Cheers!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks