Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 13:06   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I seriously doubt it. The Ikon would do well with the 1.4 TDCi from the Fiesta, however, i dont think having the 1.6 petrol from the Fiesta is a good option.

If they do then ford ikon diesel would be a replacement for my indica !! I just love the space offered in the ikon !
Old 15th May 2008, 11:19   #137
Team-BHP Support

Its been ages since i updated this thread. Maybe its because the car is running around happily doing the usual city chores. There was one highway trip last month to Kerala when my mom had taken seriously ill (She's fine now). I had put up the incident from the trip on another thread.

Since we started out during day time, A/C usage to the max was imperative, no doubts about it. Also being able to see more of the highway meant we were doing higher speeds as well. Both of these in tandem took a hit on the highway mileage which dropped to about 15-16 kmpl. I usually check the tyre pressures before i engage on a highway trip, but the last one being a very sudden decision, didnt have time for anything and it was like pack your bags, jump in, Let's Go!

I let go my fascination for HP normal fuel during the trip, and filled fuel from any
brand, so long as the pump looked trustworthy.

After a rather long gap, i brought the car to office this week. While i was on my way
back, i was in the process of waiting to take a U-turn right in front of my office. For
some weird moment of distraction, i couldnt brake in time and my car went smack into the back of a Accent Viva which was waiting to take the same turn. My heart froze. I switched off the car, and stepped out to inspect the damage. For the first time in my life, i was more concerned about the possible damage to the other person's car.

The person from the Viva stepped out as well. He was middle aged, and realized he was from my company as well. I apologized profusely even before he could say anything. We inspected the damage to both cars... there was no damage to the Viva, save for MAYBE a small scratch on the bumper. I feared worse for my car and was relieved to see there was no visible damage to my car as well! There appeared to be some scratches, but that was the least of my concern.
Accent guy : What happened?
Me : Sorry, got distracted... really sorry... there seems to be no great percievable
damage, so lets forget this?
Accent guy, pats my back, flashes a smile, gets into his car and proceeds to take the U Turn. I follow in my car.

I get home, clean the car so as to view the scratches. Surprised to see there are none!

'All's well that ends well', as they say!!
Old 15th May 2008, 11:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hey Benny, there should be a smiley for "breaking out in a sweat" - for a split second, that was what I was about to do on reading below. I was thinking, "Oh no, not another U-turn incident"
Quote:
For
some weird moment of distraction, i couldnt brake in time and my car went smack into the back of a Accent Viva which was waiting to take the same turn. My heart froze. I switched off the car, and stepped out to inspect the damage.
Glad to hear that nothing happened. I think you need to request the Mods to edit your thread title, the 20 & 12 could be confusing for some!

In the meantime, look after Mike & enjoy the drives.

cheers:

Last edited by suman : 15th May 2008 at 11:28.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:18   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thank your stars that nothing happened despite the rear-ending you'd carried out! Seems like stars are shining for you!
Old 15th May 2008, 14:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that mike is running well. Take him out more often, he needs some air.
Old 15th May 2008, 14:48   #141
Team-BHP Support

@suman : The thread title is correct as of now. Will ask for an update following the service which is due this week.

@vnabhi : So far, so good. I am thankful that nothing major came about from that incident.

@John : The car is used regularly, just that there's nothing significant that calls for a thread update.
Old 15th May 2008, 15:14   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear, Benny. Hope MIKE gets healed fully.
Old 15th May 2008, 15:26   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sorry to hear, Benny. Hope MIKE gets healed fully.
Last i heard a good relaxing kerala massage has nursed him right back to full fitness.
@benny...your mileage suggests otherwise. LOL.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:10   #144
Team-BHP Support

MIKE has now completed 19,500 kms in what's less than 2 years now.
The service was due in the month of April, but since i was out of town then, wasnt able to do the same. Heading out to this service, there were a couple of things which needed to be sorted out :

1.) There was some difficulty in slotting the car into third gear from the neutral position. Similar when downshifting from 4th as well. However, 2nd to 3rd had no issues at all, and worked like a charm. Needed to be checked.

2.) Another bent rim, thanks to another highway run, and jumping at speed into a pothole. This was on the front left wheel.

I was informed that there was a problem with the outer shaft, as a result of which the gear wasnt engaging properly. Would be taken care of under warranty, but the part currently wasnt in stock. Was told i would get it in about 3 days. Since i use the bike to commute to office, it didnt really inconvenience me much, although it did mean having to cancel some outings over the weekend, as the car is used primarily for these. With Cauvery Ford opting out of the Ford dealership in Bangalore, they are just sticking to fulfillment of their prior commitements, including my car's service. Hence, I was fine with the delay.

The actual process took about a week, for the part to finally come in, and for me to receive the car. Apparently, one of the parts which did come in wasnt up to standards.

I got the car back on Saturday evening (delay during delivery as well), and was happy to see that the gears were now slotting beautifully, just like a new car. I insisted that i would pay up only after i was satisfied with the work carried out.

Paid up, and left the dealership with the car. Time was about 7:30 PM. Suddenly, it was raining cats and dogs in Bangalore. One flick of the stalk to switch on the wipers, and LO!! Nothing happens!! Visibility during the rains is now almost nill. I am shocked! i use the rear lights of another car as a guide and get to the side of the road and stop. Call up the service advisor. He asks me to check out if the fuse has blown.

This is the first time i am even checking out the fuse box, although i know it exists. I see that one of the fuses is missing!! I know the spare fuses are there somewhere in the boot, but the heavy rain doesnt inspire me to step out and look for it.

Wifey pops out the manual. We come across the fuse for the radio; i gingerly use my fingers to pull out this fuse (of similar rating) and then stumbling in the dark with just illumination from my mobile phone, slot this into the fuse slot for the wipers. Finally, the wipers are up and wiping, although it did mean having to drive back with no music.

I get back home and then locate the spare fuses and replace the missing fuse. Need to get another spare now for the same rating.

Post service, my Autocop has also been reset, and it doesnt work now. Need to get that attended to by the service folk from Autocop.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time i am even checking out the fuse box, although i know it exists. I see that one of the fuses is missing!! I know the spare fuses are there somewhere in the boot, but the heavy rain doesnt inspire me to step out and look for it.

Wifey pops out the manual. We come across the fuse for the radio; i gingerly use my fingers to pull out this fuse (of similar rating) and then stumbling in the dark with just illumination from my mobile phone, slot this into the fuse slot for the wipers. Finally, the wipers are up and wiping, although it did mean having to drive back with no music.

I get back home and then locate the spare fuses and replace the missing fuse. Need to get another spare now for the same rating.
Nice work benny. So you know your Mike a little better now, eh? But how can a fuse disappear ? I can understand a blown fuse, but disappear ?
Old 26th May 2008, 14:23   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Nice work benny. So you know your Mike a little better now, eh? But how can a fuse disappear ? I can understand a blown fuse, but disappear ?
Good question. Looks like it was borrowed.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good question. Looks like it was borrowed.
Makes you think what else they would borrow !
Old 26th May 2008, 15:04   #148
Team-BHP Support

John, i have had a really wonderful experience with this dealership, and everything has been very professional. I attribute this to a one-off incident.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:12   #149
BHPian

Benny,

Look on the brighter side of it... What if the fuse borrowed icon also borrowed your 'stone magnet' curse...
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:45   #150
Team-BHP Support

By the end of September, Mike would complete 2 years since we first got acquainted. As of this morning, the odo has clocked 22090 kms. What was initially a vehicle for mainly weekend use, has now seen me using this as a daily transport thanks to my bike taking the sidelines for a while. Ironically, this has started ever since the last hike in petrol prices.

Despite the daily grind of traffic jams which it toils through, the in-city mileage is on the better side of 12kmpl.

Agenda for the upcoming service would include replacement of the windsheild, along with the usual servicing. There have been no highway trips undertaken since the windshield incident, leaving aside the Nandi hills trips which wouldnt really clasify as highway driving, but did clock some good speeds nevertheless.

As ofr the car, it has held on pretty well, and the build quality needs to be lauded. No rattles of any sort observed.

Here are a couple of pics to reflect on the ownership experience so far.
Shot at the same location, although the time of day in both cases are different.

Year 2006

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-snap-fit-motoring-magz-copy2.jpg

Year 2008

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_2482_small.jpg

Most Viewed