Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 00:03   #166
Senior - BHPian

Good write up Benny. The Ikon is really a good car. Just if ford improves its A**

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Any idea how much the retrofit costs for the boot release?
The original boot release costs anywhere between 5-7k. I was given 3 different quotes between these 2 figures when I bought my car. Didn't go for it though. Maybe you should look for cheaper alternatives outside the OEM route if the warranty is over.

Quote:
Valid point raised by Pathfinder. Lets see how the new dealer carries on from where Cauvery left.
Keep dreaming Benny. I am not at all impressed with Lathangi. Will post a review soon.

Quote:
I have been looking around some accessory shops locally for a good arm rest, which would also function as a storage box. Couldnt find any for the Ikon. Anyone tried this out?
Do let me know if you see something good

Last edited by Jaguar : 7th September 2008 at 00:05.
Old 7th September 2008, 00:10   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

King Benny,

Time for alloys and light tints.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:12   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
King Benny,
Time for alloys and light tints.
Mahesh, its already suited with tints. Llumar, to be precise. Was given as a freebie by the dealer, who said its much better to stick to light tints, as the authorities may crackdown on dark ones at their own fancy.

Ramesh, Lathangi is that bad? Or is it just the initial hiccups which they are going through? Will wait for ur review on that.
As for the arm rest.. will need to look out for that.
Old 8th September 2008, 10:54   #169
BHPian

Hi Benny,

Here I am back after a long gap and happy to seen MIKE , My Panther too keeps me smiling .... no compliants and just neat Flair.

I have done just around 11,000+ Kms in 2 yrs and only one problem I had was just during the rains, I ve' realised that my washers liquid isn't spraying and then I saw that all the liquid is getting to flow out under neath the car near- the mud flap.

When I have got this checked by Ford service folks they noticed its a some minor seal break that's causing the water flow out.

This was replaced and all cool... got the wheel alignment and balancing .

So far after the neat alloys haven't added anything, as for spolier I have seen couple after markets the paint job is too obvious -Dim and dull....

As far as the mileage my Panther returns same as always btw 11-12kmpl.

Maintainence wise , i doa regular Turtle wax to keep the patnthergreat black and STP tyre & interior spray.

I have never felt any diff using normal petrol vs xtra preimum type.....

By the way I have seen the scoop pictures if new Ikon in OD magzine , my impressions was the face lift was seen obvious in the sporty lights just like new Fiesta and not seen major cahnges even to the rear-Which is what is most required for Ikon.

Never sure of interiors which will also need upgrade in things like driver seat height adj, tilt streeting, dash borad and display overhaul, better detailing ... will go miles for IKON if done cool
Old 8th September 2008, 18:10   #170
Team-BHP Support

VC12, good to see you back on the forum.

Lets see how the facelift turns out to be. Looked uninspiring in the set of snaps i had seen. Heard there's not much change to the interiors. Shall wait and watch.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:09   #171
Team-BHP Support

24k and a Pondy later

Its 24000+ kms on the odo, and the 2 year ownership mark as well.
Did a trip to Pondicherry in October, which is seperately documented in a travelogue on the forum.

Since we never travel light, as usual the car was filled with luggage. As someone rightly put it, 'When Indians travel, they also like to carry their kitchen sink with them'.

The car returned mileage figures of 16.7kmpl and 15.5kmpl respectively during the to and return journeys, with 100% A/C usage and high speeds as well.

Also attended a TBHP Thatte Idly meet, where we drove down 100kms to Tumkur just to savor some amazing idlys. It was during this trip that I was made aware of a problem which was waiting to be attended. Ramesh (Jaguar) and Abhi (Akroy) who were following my car informed me of the right rear wheel which was wobbling its way to glory. Interestingly, this was during a stop we had, before which i had touched a speedo indicated 140 kmph on the GQ stretch, and i didnt feel a thing! :O

Once they pointed this out, i was trying make out if there was any shake when driving. Got to realize there was some irregularity at low speeds.

Now, my question to the folks here :
Is this an alignment issue, or as Tadu and Hari put it, some issue with the bearing? Comments awaited.

I have booked an appointment with Lathangi Ford next weekend, and need to appear in control of the situation before i ask for their opinion.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:17   #172
BHPian

Those are some pretty impressive mileage figures benny! Good going. And I second themag's opinion, time for some alloys boy, you know Mike deserves them. Maybe that's why he decided to start wobbling a bit...(kidding!!) Good to see you at the meet and thanks for answering mag's question on my behalf.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th October 2008 at 19:32.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:28   #173
Team-BHP Support

Not alignment since your car has a fixed rear axle.

Check out rims if they are bent, maybe even the tyre for bubbles can confuse the vision of the observer, if aok move to wheel hubs, if they are loose (disastrous) and then move on to bearing. Whatever it is attend to it ASAP, dont run around with a wobble please.

Its very embarassing to see the rear wheel overtake you when you are driving, trust me i have felt it in a Padmini

ps: kartik ignore the edit message please

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th October 2008 at 19:32.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:35   #174
Senior - BHPian

Also, did you check if the wheel was fully tightened?
Old 30th October 2008, 19:44   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Good to see you at the meet and thanks for answering mag's question on my behalf.
Was definitely a pleasure catching up with you after ages. Nice pics from your cam as well in the meet thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check out rims if they are bent, maybe even the tyre for bubbles can confuse the vision of the observer, if aok move to wheel hubs, if they are loose (disastrous) and then move on to bearing. Whatever it is attend to it ASAP, dont run around with a wobble please.
Tadu also suggested it may be a bent rim, but i havent checked. Shall ask them to follow the same procedure you've mentioned. Between, do you suggest i swap this wheel with the spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its very embarassing to see the rear wheel overtake you when you are driving, trust me i have felt it in a Padmini
I remember a fellow member reported the same with his Scorpio as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also, did you check if the wheel was fully tightened?
Ishan, i brought the car back, and then havent driven it since. Shall check and confirm if it is indeed loose.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:03   #176
Team-BHP Support

It could be the wheel bearing but I would check the lug nuts first. Come on how can you forget to check the lug nuts after that last nandi hills drive. lol. :-)
Old 30th October 2008, 23:27   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It could be the wheel bearing but I would check the lug nuts first.
In case it comes to the wheel bearing, would it be attended to under warranty? Any idea how much it may cost?

How can i forget the lug nuts incident?
Old 30th October 2008, 23:35   #178
Team-BHP Support

wheel bearing will cost you around 1500 per rear wheel and am not very sure about warranty cover on them. But before all that like irags suggested try jacking up and see if the wheel nuts are tight, you never know.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK wheel bearings are not covered under warranty, but I don't think the cost is too high, around the figure Jaggu mentioned, also it is not a time consuming replacement.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:17   #180
Team-BHP Support

The car was handed in for service yesterday at Lathangi Ford. Initial impressions of the dealership and their space constraints didnt impress me. Cauvery Ford was better sorted out, i feel.

The tasks to be carried out included:
* Service at 30,000 kms or 2 years ownership
* Wheel rotation, alignment and balancing
* Switch which controls the cabin light on the front left door, which sometimes didnt function properly
* Possible wobble on rear right wheel, although my initial checks and discussions with Jaggu led me to believe that it may be a bent wheel cap which at higher speeds made Abhi and Ramesh feel it could be a wheel wobble. Asked them to check.
* Wiper spray nozzle, one of which had gone out of alignment, and was shooting water onto the roof, rather than the windscreen
* Windscreen replacement, claiming insurance on the same.

Refraining my comments about the dealership and their service till i get back my car to see how well they have carried out the above.

One thing that irked me was them not having a cashless facility with Bajaj Allianz my insurance company. I now need to pay upfront, before it gets reimbursed. Seriously, a pain point for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks