Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 10:48   #226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Benny its late. Sleep now. (Translation: please dont do that, makes Mike look like a woosie)
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The color of your car is kind of unique, which will make these mods not stand out so much / look out of place. (Same with dark colors like mine too). Esp with the B-pillar blackening - it will hardly be noticeable.

Do you want to try adding the chrome strip I had mentioned about ? Let me know the length (4 m should be sufficient I guess) so I can pick it up for you. You can always take it off if you dont like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
B pillar yes. Door handles, ORVM yes but dont fiddle with the side strips, my personal choice.
Point noted guys. Will probably leave them as they are. Some polish should help get rid of the fading effect on the side strips.

Parwath, if i retain the side strips as they are, the chrome strip wont be required.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:51   #227
Team-BHP Support

Gear issue update

I handed in the car for service last evening at Lathangi Ford. Since the car is still covered under the Extended Warranty program, i am relieved and not too bothered about the reverse gear issue. They did not provide me with any proper updates as to what the issue could be, neither did they mention anything about the cable as well.

Since i would anyways not have the car with me, and also having claimed insurance once this year, asked them to set right a deep scratch which is present on the right front and rear doors. The scratch being deep, it would require some denting work as well, followed by painting. I decided to utilize my insurance for the claim.

As for the service in itself, everytime i nearly bang my head against the wall concerning the lack of organization at Lathangi, there seems to be some sort of a lifeline which changes that opinion. There is a person by the name of Mr. Sateesh who has been quite helpful ever since i got a rapport with him. He even tries to go out of his way to help me out. A special mention was definitely warranted. Mr. Srinivas who is the service advisor (previously with Cauvery Ford) has also been helpful when present, and i usually try and hand over my car to him when i drop in.

I was informed that i would be able to opt for Extended Warranty for another year over the 3 years warranty (1 + 2 extended) which i am now enjoying, but at a cost of Rs.7500/-. I am not entirely convinced if i should go in for it or not. Will need to think it over and decide accordingly.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:56   #228
Senior - BHPian

The color code is going to look subtle and apealing in some ways. However you got to do something ith those wheel caps, like removing them at least!

All the best on the reverse gear problem.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:05   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since i would anyways not have the car with me, and also having claimed insurance once this year, asked them to set right a deep scratch which is present on the right front and rear doors. The scratch being deep, it would require some denting work as well, followed by painting. I decided to utilize my insurance for the claim.
How much would the cost come to, i dont think its a wise idea to claim insurance for small work
Old 11th March 2009, 12:10   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The color code is going to look subtle and apealing in some ways. However you got to do something ith those wheel caps, like removing them at least!

All the best on the reverse gear problem.
Am contemplating a shift to alloys currently, but just need to work out some things. Then, the wheel caps would be history.

Quote:
How much would the cost come to, i dont think its a wise idea to claim insurance for small work
Jaggu, i had already claimed insurance this year for the windshield replacement, which already ate up the NCB. As for the doors, they will need to be repainted once the denting body work is done. Hence, i dont suppose the amount involved would be small.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:13   #231
Senior - BHPian

If this is a second claim, then they will not cover max cost. Just find out how much you will have to shell before you claim.
Old 11th March 2009, 13:27   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was informed that i would be able to opt for Extended Warranty for another year over the 3 years warranty (1 + 2 extended) which i am now enjoying, but at a cost of Rs.7500/-. I am not entirely convinced if i should go in for it or not. Will need to think it over and decide accordingly.
Ben, I was also informed that Ikon owners can opt for warranty for the 4th year of ownership, but I didnt opt for it after the completion of the 3rd year.

Do try and check with the SA on what the problem is and how do they plan to resolve it. Always good to know.
Old 11th March 2009, 14:38   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : Some polish should help get rid of the fading effect on the side strips.
Do what I will be doing soon : get the strips, mirrors & door handles painted black. A more permanent solution than polishing, without having to grapple with color combinations or fight fading.

Will say go for the 4th year. It's insurance. You may not utilize it. But if you do have to, then you still have peace of mind.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:03   #234
Team-BHP Support

Benny, instead of body coloured side strips, door handles and mirrors just buy Armorall low shine matt finish tyre polish. It works on all plastic parts outside and prevents the fading/whitening effect. I use it once a month on the bumper and even there is no effect on fade at all. Best part is it's not oily and does not leave the bumper shiny which I don't like at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do what I will be doing soon : get the strips, mirrors & door handles painted black. A more permanent solution than polishing, without having to grapple with color combinations or fight fading.
Parwath I hope it is matt black paint and not shiny. Shiny black will look out of place and a tad gawdy.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th March 2009 at 15:08.
Old 11th March 2009, 19:22   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

@Vid, thanks ! Will stick to the matt black. It's yet to be done, though.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:43   #236
Team-BHP Support

Benny did you get your car back? Reverse gear issue sorted? what was the final outcome?
Old 16th March 2009, 13:59   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Benny did you get your car back? Reverse gear issue sorted? what was the final outcome?
I still havent gotten back the car, Jaggu. In fact, as of Saturday they were still waiting for some part to arrive (i had given in the car on Tuesday evening) . Every time i quizzed them on what was this part they were waiting for, i was told they would call back and inform. The call never came!

Once the gear issue is resolved, the body work would start, followed by painting.

I would be heading to Kerala this evening (junior on its way ) and am not sure when i'll be back to Bangalore. Am contemplating asking Condor who stays nearby to pick the car from them, and keeping it with him once the work is complete. Last thing is having them make merry with the car in their custody.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:12   #238
Team-BHP Support

Oh... congrats Benny. Wish both the mother and the child a safe delivery
Old 16th March 2009, 14:24   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(junior on its way ) and am not sure when i'll be back to Bangalore.
Congrats Benny! Take your time - Bangalore can wait. So long as Junior gets started off on Kingfisher quickly.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:41   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oh... congrats Benny. Wish both the mother and the child a safe delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Congrats Benny! Take your time - Bangalore can wait. So long as Junior gets started off on Kingfisher quickly.
Thanks guys!

As for the Kingfisher, will approach VM if he's open to sponsorship, and i get to access the treasures in his garage as well.

Most Viewed