Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 15:15   #241
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Ben, have a great trip and i guess Condor can baby sit the iKON's
Old 21st March 2009, 08:21   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Mike's back, and all set to go. The reverse gear is working fine & smooth now.

Some pics:
The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-mike1.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-mikefdr.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-mikerdr.jpg

(Petrols feel so different from diesels !)
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:02   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Mike's back, and all set to go. The reverse gear is working fine & smooth now.
(Petrols feel so different from diesels !)
What was the bill for gear box repair and what was fixed?

Petrol diff to diesel, good or bad?
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:25   #244
Team-BHP Support

Condor, thanks for putting up the pics here, as well as collecting the car for me.
Why dont you put up the bill details up here?

Experiences after driving the petrol? I suppose this is the first time you are driving the petrol Ikon.

Between, these pics are taken at your place?
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:09   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Between, these pics are taken at your place?
Guess so, cant you make out his iron man figure from the reflection dont think he would carry the look outside.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:19   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a reflection of Nessie, probably.

(You see, the place was a lake earlier )
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:33   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Break-up

Wty Coverage: (Rs 3075)
1. Retaining Ring : (Rs. 33)
2. Ring Ret Ext Dia : (Rs. 37)
3. Gate Assy : (Rs 3005)

Charged : Rs 3569.
1. Sealant : (Rs 928)
2. Gasket Trans Gr Sh Con (Rs 1139) (Transmission Gear Shaft Connector Gasket ?)
3. Fuses : (Rs 12)
4. Anabond (Rs 40) ( This is a gasket maker)
5. Trasmission Oil (Rs 710).

&
General Check-up : (Rs 350). (Wonder what they did)

Quote:
benbsb29 : Experiences after driving the petrol? I suppose this is the first time you are driving the petrol Ikon.
Actually, just the second time - both short drives. Have gotten so used to diesels that I find diesels more linear in their response than petrols. Also, the initial movement is far easier in diesels. I ended up releasing the acclerator much later when driving the petrols. I should be able to get over that with a little practice, but somehow find diesels better suited for city driving.

@Jaggu : my last proper usage of a petrol vehicle was the CR-V, and before that the Acura TL. Both automatics.

Last edited by condor : 23rd March 2009 at 21:39.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:39   #248
Team-BHP Support

If it's under warranty, I wonder why they charged for item no.1 and 2. It should be under warranty right?
Old 29th March 2009, 23:09   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If it's under warranty, I wonder why they charged for item no.1 and 2. It should be under warranty right?
Good question. Now, is the fine print mentioned somewhere in accordance with this? Will need to fish out the Extended Warranty document and check up on this.

That question aside, they seem to have done a decent job with the gears now engaging smoothly with no issues so far. The dent job which was across the doors on the right hand side have been neatly dealt with, with no traces of the same, or color mismatch.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Condor, who went and inspected the car, scanned through the bill after clarifying it with me, and even paid for the same. He was also kind enough to look after the car in my absence and the day i was to collect the car from him, he even washed the car himself! :O He certainly went out of his way to help out.

Team-BHP definitely rocks, and this is yet another feather on the cap for the innumerable experiences where one member has gone out of his way to help out another BHPian - someone whom he has only interacted with across a UI. Thank you once again, pal.

As of now, the money he paid for the service is still on credit for me.

Here are some snaps we had clicked the day i went to collect the car.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc01768.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc01766.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc01777.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc01782.jpg
Old 29th March 2009, 23:20   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

That's seems a little long a post for having Mike with me, sitting there waiting the week for you !
Quote:
benbsb29 : As of now, the money he paid for the service is still on credit for me.

Here are some snaps we had clicked the day i went to collect the car...
Actually, on credit for me too ! (Used my card ).

The post PS pics are much better than the raw state as got from the SE k810i. I think we should have a better shoot some time.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:15   #251
Team-BHP Support

Trip to Kerala

I did a trip to Kerala on the car over the last weekend, a journey which was spread over 690 kms and a time of 18 hours. I was forced to take the longer route home to avoid having to pass through Tamil Nadu owing to the bandh which was proclaimed on the same day. Talk of timing!

Incidentally, it was just me in the car to the accompaniment of music which alternated between the MP3s and FM stations along the way. Played a little NFS with some guy on a Petra (MH12 registration) along the road to Angamaly and then gave up, as it was beginning to get a tad too dangerous, but not before i had frustrated him enough.

I tanked up first at Tamarassery, and the FE worked out to about 17.4 kmpl which wasnt bad considering the speeds which i clicked at places, and also the A/C usage hovering at around 60%.

The second stretch which led all the way home had me stuck in Kerala's road widening traffic, as well as all the possible traffic jams i could encounter along the way. The terrible heat along with the downpours in some places ensured the need for prolonged A/C usage. The rapid climbs and descents also had a telling on the FE which i got.. which was a measly 13.6 kmpl! Talk of extremes.

A query i had : Does the 12V supply from the car remain active even with the key removed from the ignition? Is it supposed to be this way, or is there something wrong with how it is on my car? I checked on a friend's Safari as well as a Zen, and both had the power cut-off when the key was removed from the ignition. Any ideas, guys?
Old 28th April 2009, 07:57   #252
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip Benny !! Which route did you take and what time of the day did you do the journey?
Now we will soon see Mike clocking some kms which it has never done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A query i had : Does the 12V supply from the car remain active even with the key removed from the ignition? Is it supposed to be this way, or is there something wrong with how it is on my car? I checked on a friend's Safari as well as a Zen, and both had the power cut-off when the key was removed from the ignition. Any ideas, guys?
It should not be active once the key is removed.

Abhi
Old 28th April 2009, 10:22   #253
Team-BHP Support

Benny: In my swift, it switches off with the ignition. In my Ikon, the dammed thing does not work in the first place :(
Old 28th April 2009, 10:43   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, are you referring to the cig-lighter /12v supply ? Pls specify which part caused this doubt, so we can check in our cars & let you know.
Quote:
benbsb29 : A query i had : Does the 12V supply from the car remain active even with the key removed from the ignition? Is it supposed to be this way, or is there something wrong with how it is on my car?
Some circuits remain active even after you remove the key - cabin lights, pilot lights etc. Many parts are disconnected from the supply once you turn the key to the off position. Some more are powered off only after you take the key out. Exact combination depends on the car.

eg:
Ikon : key in off position, stereo does not work
Sumo : key in off position, stereo still works.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:20   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice trip Benny !! Which route did you take and what time of the day did you do the journey?
Now we will soon see Mike clocking some kms which it has never done before.
Abhi, i went via Mysore->Gundulpet->Bandipur (had to retrace back, as the cops didnt allow to carry on from here to Mudumalai)->Bathery->Tamarassery->Calicut by-pass->Trichur->Angamaly->Muvatupuzha->Koothatukulam->Pala->Kanjirapally->Mundakkayam.

What should ideally have been a 580kms drive, ended up being 690 kms, and many more extra hours of travel.

The car is still in Kerala though, where my wife would be using it till i get them back here to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Benny: In my swift, it switches off with the ignition. In my Ikon, the dammed thing does not work in the first place :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
It should not be active once the key is removed.
I feel the behaviour should have been as it is the case with the Swift, and the Alto. Looks like its not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Benny, are you referring to the cig-lighter /12v supply ? Pls specify which part caused this doubt, so we can check in our cars & let you know.Some circuits remain active even after you remove the key - cabin lights, pilot lights etc. Many parts are disconnected from the supply once you turn the key to the off position. Some more are powered off only after you take the key out. Exact combination depends on the car.
Parwath, i was referring to the 12V power outlet from the car. In my car it doesnt switch off even after the key is removed from the ignition. Which means, even with the car switched off and the key removed, i am still able to draw power from the outlet. Check and let me know how it is on your car.

Why i ask is because i would be using a FM transmitter in the car to listen to songs from a pen drive, and in case i forget to remove the transmitter after parking and switching off, it would still draw power from the car, and end up draining the battery!

Most Viewed