Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 11:44   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Will check this one on both before I update you.
Quote:
benbsb29 : .. in case i forget to remove the transmitter after parking and switching off, it would still draw power from the car, and end up draining the battery!
That FM transmitter should not be a cause for concern, unless you are going to forget the transmitter for a few days at a stretch. A recent thread had described the keys being locked inside with the stereo running. It was 18 hours before he could get the spare key from BLR .. and that car was running the stereo too. In the Ikon, power supply to the stereo is cut off as soon as the key is turned to the off position. And the FM transmitter should not consume much power - far less than a ICE set-up would.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:03   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I did a trip to Kerala on the car over the last weekend, a journey which was spread over 690 kms and a time of 18 hours.
What? Driving alone? Thats a crime!!! How dare you??
Old 29th April 2009, 20:43   #258
BHPian

Quote:

I feel the behaviour should have been as it is the case with the Swift, and the Alto. Looks like its not the case here.

Parwath, i was referring to the 12V power outlet from the car. In my car it doesnt switch off even after the key is removed from the ignition. Which means, even with the car switched off and the key removed, i am still able to draw power from the outlet. Check and let me know how it is on your car.

Why i ask is because i would be using a FM transmitter in the car to listen to songs from a pen drive, and in case i forget to remove the transmitter after parking and switching off, it would still draw power from the car, and end up draining the battery!
I always leave my Phone charger connected in my Swift, but make it a point to remove them in my Ikon. Not sure if this could drain the battery.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:47   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
What? Driving alone? Thats a crime!!! How dare you??
Unni, looks like i unintentionally by-passed your personal record. Between, thanks for the help functioning as a call center for me, looking up the maps and so on. Was a great help, i must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I always leave my Phone charger connected in my Swift, but make it a point to remove them in my Ikon. Not sure if this could drain the battery.
Going by that, it appears this is how the circuit has been drawn up on the Ikon. I wonder if this was by design, or overlooked?
Old 29th April 2009, 21:01   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Unni, looks like i unintentionally by-passed your personal record. Between, thanks for the help functioning as a call center for me, looking up the maps and so on. Was a great help, i must say.
Yes you did, and I hope the record remains with you!!! Can't help but function like a call-center, after all I work for one Glad to be of any little assistance.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:20   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did a trip to Kerala on the car over the last weekend, a journey which was spread over 690 kms and a time of 18 hours. I was forced to take the longer route home to avoid having to pass through Tamil Nadu owing to the bandh which was proclaimed on the same day. Talk of timing!
I did the same route to trivandrum in about 17 hrs thats the longest i have taken till date. The narrow NH17 and the higher traffic denisty on this road during daytime can be attributed to the lower average speeds.

The strech between trichur and aluva / angamaly is being widened and traffic moves at a snails pace , rains make it even worse. Last time i went i got caught in a 20 km long jam caused by a political rally at angamaly.Was forced to go offroad to get back on schedule.

Too bad you beat my record to by an hour ...

my usual timing while taking the sALEM - cbe- Palghat - cochin - trvandrum or the salem - madurai- shekottai- thenmala- trivandrum route is always less than 12 hrs of which i drive just over 10 hours rest of for breaks and other stops.

Last edited by hellstar : 30th April 2009 at 16:26.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:27   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
my usual timing while taking the sALEM - cbe- Palghat - cochin - trvandrum or the salem - madurai- shekottai- thenmala- trivandrum route is always less than 12 hrs of which i drive just over 10 hours rest of for breaks and other stops.
What the!!! I usually take 12hours or so to reach Ambalapuzha from Bangalore thru Salem - Cbe - Cochin. Where is the "bow" smiley? I need one.

Sorry Benny for being slightly OT.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:54   #263
Senior - BHPian

unni only diff is that i drive at nigh , start from blore at 1800- 2000 hrs reach Trivandrum before 0800 in the morning.

benny sorry for being off topic here ...
Old 30th April 2009, 17:53   #264
BHPian

Quote:

Going by that, it appears this is how the circuit has been drawn up on the Ikon. I wonder if this was by design, or overlooked?
There are few other mysteries like,

The Trip meter re-setting itself to zero after 999, and stays illuminated after you switch off the ignition.
Fuel tank gets locked only if you centrally lock from inside.
No boot release.
A/C vent option switch has your de-mister option in the middle which is a tad inconvinient.

The ride and the engine sure makes up for the above.
Old 30th April 2009, 17:55   #265
BHPian

Mike is still shining as new .. How much did the painting cost Benny?
Old 30th April 2009, 19:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

and where was it done ? did the facility have a paint booth ?
Old 1st May 2009, 00:04   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
What the!!! I usually take 12hours or so to reach Ambalapuzha from Bangalore thru Salem - Cbe - Cochin. Where is the "bow" smiley? I need one.
Like Unni, i salute you as well, Anoop! For all the trouble i take, i still manage to clock about 12-13 hours to Mundakkayam via the Salem-Theni route which is a distance of 580 kms.

Continous and prolonged night driving is a turn-off for me, as it doesnt suit my body clock, and the high beam blinders also prove to be a constant pain. I prefer an early morning start of about 2-3AM. However, by the time i am on the highway and crossing towns and villages, the janta is already camped on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
There are few other mysteries like,
Let me decipher the ones i can from your list.

Quote:
The Trip meter re-setting itself to zero after 999, and stays illuminated after you switch off the ignition.
Shouldnt the trip meter be doing that ideally? I would just like to confirm its the trip meter you're referring to and not the odometer.

As for it remaining illuminated following turning off the ignition, its a feature, and it functions the very same way on the Fiesta display as well from which this seems to be derived.

Quote:
Fuel tank gets locked only if you centrally lock from inside.
The fuel tank cap is linked to the central locking system, and again i believe this is the same on the Fiesta and Fusion as well. Again, a feature.

Quote:
No boot release.
Not providing boot release as standard is criminal! Definitely deserves a rap for the same.

Quote:
A/C vent option switch has your de-mister option in the middle which is a tad inconvinient.
Positioning of demister option is poor, i agree. However, i dont turn it to the demister setting to demist. Turning on the A/C in itself helps to demist without needing to resort to that setting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Mike is still shining as new .. How much did the painting cost Benny?
I claimed insurance for the same since i had already lost out on my NCB (windshield replacement). I think i had to pay about Rs600/- for 50% of the amount for the side body strips. Both the right front and rear doors had to be painted following the denting work.

Quote:
and where was it done ? did the facility have a paint booth ?
Got it done at the dealer's itself - Lathangi Ford.

For those looking at a cheaper option, but a good job at the price, i shall suggest a place at Adugodi. This guy was recommended to me by Condor who got some work done here, and also a friend of mine who got denting and painting work done on his new Santro.

The work included denting and painting for the left front and rear doors, as well as area above the rear wheel arch. He scraped the car against the pillar in his building parking. Cost for the job? Rs.3500/-. An estimate from Surakshaa for the same job came to Rs.8000/-. Go figure.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st May 2009 at 00:06.
Old 1st May 2009, 08:10   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

By design ..

Quote:
benbsb29 : A query i had : Does the 12V supply from the car remain active even with the key removed from the ignition?
Yes - supply remains on even with key removed.
Quote:
2theMax : The Trip meter re-setting itself to zero after 999,
Two 'solutions' to this :
1. Remain at 999 till it is reset manually
2. Have a fourth digit, so the trip meter can move to 1000, 1001 .. And then get stuck at 9999 !

!!

Last edited by condor : 1st May 2009 at 08:16.
Old 1st May 2009, 15:38   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes - supply remains on even with key removed.
Two 'solutions' to this :
1. Remain at 999 till it is reset manually
2. Have a fourth digit, so the trip meter can move to 1000, 1001 .. And then get stuck at 9999 !

!!
Thanks didn't get that !

The reason I find this is, I normally on my Swift set one of the trip meter to a 'Service to Service', and the other for the regular tankful trips.

And Swift has multiple Trip Meter's.

@ ben : And the regarding the A/C vent options, I normally toggle between the 'Top' an 'Top & Bottom' Throw options, and wit the de-mist option in the middle I have to turn a full circle which is a pain.

Last edited by 2theMax : 1st May 2009 at 15:42.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:07   #270
Team-BHP Support

ORVM donated to a rash bus driver

Wifey informed that a rash and speeding private bus yanked off the mirror from the ORVM casing this morning while he (bus driver) was on his way to meet his afterlife.

Sequence of events as i have been told include accounts of the bus who was on a murder attempt maneouvre to overtake another vehicle at a sharp curve while my car was coming from the opposite direction. Thanks to stones for road laying being strewn to the left side of the road, wifey couldnt afford to go off the road and braked. Rear of the bus hits the outer side of the ORVM which folds inwards, but the shock was enough to dislodge the mirror from its casing which shattered to smithereens.

I was planning on driving down the car to Bangalore this weekend, but looks like i would need to attend to the ORVM before that. I have a feeling the internal adjustment setup would have gone for a toss in the process and the only option would be replacing the entire housing. Will need to get this attended to at Kairali Ford in Kottayam. These are among the tims when i thank the Lord the car didnt come with a motorized setup for the ORVM.

Most Viewed