Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 16:08   #331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have replaced the silencer holding twice or thrice in my car. Should not cost you much. But do it asap, else the silence may require some welding if its thrown around.

And you are out of warranty now, better look up a good private garage !
How did you manage to dislodge the silencer holding on your car? Also, do you remember how much it cost you? I assume you got it done at the dealer.

There was a Bosch service center nearby, but they seem to have relocated. Will need to find out where they moved to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Open the hood and trace the line for the windshield washer, there will be a plastic connector on the tube. Remove it and use a wire/pin to clean the ball and spring system, which will be stuck. Wash the attachment with water to clear the dirt. Blow and check if its working, it will allow the air/water to pass only in one direction, that is from tank to nozzle, so while refitting ensure its positioned correct.
I did come across the plastic connector on the tube. I shall do as you mentioned in the evening today, and try.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:17   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I pressed the button to spray the wiper fluid yesterday, and although there is a sound of the pump, nothing gets sprayed. I tried to locate if there was some pipe which was loose somewhere, but found none. I now wonder if the nozzle is jammed?
I take it that you've checked the container is full? Frequent leaks in the container used to be a common problem in my Ikon I remember which is why I'm asking this silly question
Old 5th November 2009, 16:20   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I take it that you've checked the container is full? Frequent leaks in the container used to be a common problem in my Ikon I remember which is why I'm asking this silly question
First thing that i checked.
Its filled all the way to the brim - allowed max setting, ofcourse.

I havent had any leaks from the container on my car, and the fluid does last if not used.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:22   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How did you manage to dislodge the silencer holding on your car? Also, do you remember how much it cost you? I assume you got it done at the dealer.
It was not done at the dealer. I no longer visit them. Outside, it was about 50 odd bucks ( don't recall exactly, could be 75 or thereabouts ) and another 100 bucks or so as the labour charges.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:29   #335
Team-BHP Support

Based on what Jaggu mentioned, i pried open the plastic connector on the hose leading from the wiper fluid tank to the nozzle, and cleaned it. After connecting it back, it still didnt work. Then pulled out the part connected to the nozzle. Now tried, and fluid was being sucked to the nozzle, which meant probably the nozzle was jammed.

Used a pen (only thing i could find immediately) and after some poking around on the nozzle, connected the hose to it. Tried again, and it worked.

Thanks, Jaggu.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:06   #336
Team-BHP Support

I took the car to the Bosch service center in Brookfields to attend to the silencer issue. They hoisted the car up, and the sight that greeted us was heart wrenching. Owing to the impact of the "car"-breaker scrape, the metal sheet underneath had sheared like a piece of paper, and a portion of this was touching the silencer resulting in the sound.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-061120092747.jpg

The sheared sheet of metal was beaten into shape just to avoid the sound.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-061120092748.jpg

Satisfied that the sound issue was solved, i astounded when they demanded 200 bucks for the service. I, in turn demanded for a bill which was eventually provided after making me wait. The item read "Running Repair" - whatever that meant.

Once again, God bless the monsters responsible for that speedbreaker.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:34   #337
Team-BHP Support

Again a common issue with iKon, the heat sink (edges sit exposed and low) is a thin aluminum kind of sheet. Its not very costly IIRC.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:08   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, yes that hurts.

200/- at Bosch, for using the hoist and some labor may look to be high. But I have seen relatively higher charges at smaller garages that have a dug-out to access the under-body and hardly any other infra.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:41   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
200/- at Bosch, for using the hoist and some labor may look to be high. But I have seen relatively higher charges at smaller garages that have a dug-out to access the under-body and hardly any other infra.
Well, as long as the work gets done, does it bother the end user if they use a hoist or a dug out? For the work that they did, which is use a plyer to beat the sheet to shape, i would at most imagine a bill of 50 or even 100 bucks.

If i was to pay this amount, i could have gone to the dealer as well.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:15   #340
BHPian

Ouch that hurts!! Aren't these things supposed to be stronger? But, thanks to your warning, I've been ultra careful the last two days when I drove to work, than ride.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:17   #341
Team-BHP Support

Driving to work today, i have the fan switched on inside for air circulation. Some time later, i realize the blower is blowing hot air. I press the switch to turn on the A/C, and the blower still continues to spew hot air. Even with the A/C switched off, the result is the same. Looks like one of the Ikon's oldest known issues has decided to make its mark on my car i.e. the HVAC diverter valve issue.

The simplest solution would be ofcourse to disconnect the heater connection. Looks like thats what i would be looking at, if this is indeed the issue.

As Eddy mentioned, time to look for an independent garage.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:01   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : Well, as long as the work gets done, does it bother the end user if they use a hoist or a dug out?
That's why we need to choose which place to go. But my experiences with these 2nd rung / independent garages is - avoid them. I'd rather go to the A.S.S, than pay A.S.S like rates at these places.

Quote:
benbsb29 : Looks like one of the Ikon's oldest known issues has decided to make its mark on my car i.e. the HVAC diverter valve issue.
Best option - disconnect that heater. The divertor isnt exactly a cheap part.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:10   #343
Team-BHP Support

Aah, I remember. I have had that issue too. But just can't recall how much it cost me to get it fixed.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:27   #344
BHPian

Guess it'd be cost effective to just disconnect the heater since usage is almost nil in our conditions. Maybe at some later point of time, you can see if the diverter valve can be sourced from else where.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:29   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Best option - disconnect that heater. The divertor isnt exactly a cheap part.
Quite the route i plan to take. In 3 years of owning the car, i have never used the heater even once! Also, with no plans of shifting to the north, i dont see any immediate need as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Aah, I remember. I have had that issue too. But just can't recall how much it cost me to get it fixed.
I am not sure of the exact rate, but I think the valve as such costs around Rs.2000 or so. However, in some cases which i had read about on the net, its susceptible to failure as well. The most cost effective method would be disconnecting the heater. Will check out on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Guess it'd be cost effective to just disconnect the heater since usage is almost nil in our conditions. Maybe at some later point of time, you can see if the diverter valve can be sourced from else where.
Interestingly, it didnt fail over the period when the car was under Extended Warranty. The time-dependent coding does work. LOL !

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th November 2009 at 17:30.

Most Viewed