Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:10   #346
Team-BHP Support

A/C Diverter valve & fog lamps fixed

It was getting increasingly difficult to manage without the A/C or even the fan, and so i took the car to Lathangi Ford to get it looked at. The place was teeming with the weekend load, and so i made a call to my favourite service advisor Srinivas who asked me to get the vehicle to the main service area.

I explained the issues at hand, and directly instructed them to bypass the heater assembly, and thereby negate the need for replacing the diverter valve. It was a simple procedure if one had the right tools, and this was accomplished.

Next was the fog lamps. The mechanic brought a new pair of bulbs, and tried it out, and Viola! So, there was no issue with the wiring, just a simple case of try and replace. I now seriously wonder what it was that they checked the last time round when i took it to them, and it was looked at by another mechanic. They even asked me to leave the car with them for a day so they could investigate! Would have rendered me car-less, thanks to their inefficiency.

Since these were carried out at the dealer, costs incurred were higher than i thought initially. Here is the breakup of the bill :

PARTS

Fog Lamps 2 -> 261.55
Tax 65.39
Total 523.10

LABOUR

Bulb fog lamps remove & install -> 91.68
Tax : 9.4

A/C Check, Service -> 122.24
Tax : 12.59

Labour charges -> 120.00 (Looks like i got fleeced here!! Wonder what this was for)
Tax : 12.35

Grand Total : Rs. 957.00

I got engrossed with something that i didnt pay attention to the last item included under labor charges. I didnt understand why that was included.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:26   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, when it comes to lighting problems, always try a bulb swap first. Helps one to pick up the bulbs of one's choice, and to avoid any such billing issues. Also, even if it wasnt a bulb problem, you would have at most ended up with a spare bulb.

You could have saved that 91/-

Also, if the A/c Check & Service is being charged, then I wonder what's the Labor charges for. Esp since the bulb replacement has already been charged for.

Then again, no special treatment for you about the charges : we hear a such stuff about different car makers.

OT:
what's the cost of the divertor valve ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:30   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Labour charges -> 120.00 (Looks like i got fleeced here!! Wonder what this was for)
Tax : 12.35
Service Tax on labour has been reduced to 10.30% from March this year, wonder why they are still collecting over 12%. There is no VAT on labour only Service Tax. These rates astound me.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:23   #349
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben, I only faced the heating issue with the AC a couple of times and both times it was resolved was by simply turning the AC on with the thermostat at min temp (Max cold).

Never really faced any issues while following the above method.

BTW, any idea how much the fog lamps are for? My car is a 2005 pre facelift so dont have them. The headlights have deteriorated to quite an extent over the last 4.5 years so need to do something about it. ANy suggestions for which bulbs to use?
I was thinking of the Osram's (the extra bright ones, dunno the name) or philips but sticking to 55/60.

Last edited by sammyboy : 25th November 2009 at 15:25.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:33   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Service Tax on labour has been reduced to 10.30% from March this year, wonder why they are still collecting over 12%. There is no VAT on labour only Service Tax. These rates astound me.
I just checked with a colleague of mine who works on the Taxes module, who has confirmed what you've said, which is why i delayed my reply. Rate is 10% which works out to 10.3 including service tax, education cess and higher education cess. Looks like i need to confront them regarding this. Thanks for the observation, John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey Ben, I only faced the heating issue with the AC a couple of times and both times it was resolved was by simply turning the AC on with the thermostat at min temp (Max cold).

Never really faced any issues while following the above method.

BTW, any idea how much the fog lamps are for? My car is a 2005 pre facelift so dont have them. The headlights have deteriorated to quite an extent over the last 4.5 years so need to do something about it. ANy suggestions for which bulbs to use?
I was thinking of the Osram's (the extra bright ones, dunno the name) or philips but sticking to 55/60.
Samarth, the same i had experienced earlier as well, but on one occassion the fuse had blown out which was due to my experimentation with LEDs. When the fuse was blown out the light indicating the A/C was on also didnt turn on. Replaced the fuse, and issue solved.

I believe the cost of the fog lamps would be higher on the older bumper version. You'd need to check the prices. As for the bulbs, i think Osrams would be good, but i would rather take a second opinion since i havent had an experience with these.

Try sourcing the fogs from outside, rather than the dealer. You should get them cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT:
what's the cost of the divertor valve ?
I enquired with them and was informed the divertor valve costs Rs.1300/-. i was told that when installing this, they would need to replace the coolant, as well, which would work out to another 1600/- as per them. Add to this, the labour costs, and you're looking at a tidy sum!

Last edited by Dippy : 25th November 2009 at 15:58. Reason: Correcting quote tag
Old 25th November 2009, 15:43   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked with a colleague of mine who works on the Taxes module, who has confirmed what you've said, which is why i delayed my reply. Rate is 10% which works out to 10.3 including service tax, education cess and higher education cess. Looks like i need to confront them regarding this. Thanks for the observation, John.
It's what I do for a living Benny Boy, glad to be of help.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:15   #352
Team-BHP Support

I got a call from the dealer this morning enquiring about the work which wad carried out on the car, and whether it was resolved or not. Was a standard call, and i mentioned my doubts regarding the rate of service tax which was charged to the caller.

EDIT : I analyzed the amounts yet again. Looks like i am billed at 10.3% and not 12% as we thought!

Take a look :

12.59 / 122.24 = 10.299, which means the 122.24 is the amount including tax.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:27   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Taxes at least should not be a problem. Tax is mentioned seperately, and the entire amount would go to the govt.

No business can have an automated billing system that displays tax for each item, but a totally different amount being credited to the govt. Would be a pain to implement & maintain that .. and is easily visible to the trained eye.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:27   #354
Team-BHP Support

40,000 kms service

It was service time and this time with the vehicle inching close to the 40,000 kms mark, it was time to get the service done as scheduled. i initially contemplated on getting the service done at Carnation Multi brand service to try them out, but since they were still in the process of setting up, couldn't wait and decided to get it done from Lathangi Ford itself.

Going into the service there were a couple of things which needed to be looked into:
1) Jerks when the car is in motion, and when I try to accelerate.
2) When slotting the gear into reverse, the reverse light doesn't glow consistently - it comes on sometimes, and at other times it simply doesn't turn on!

Regarding issue #1, i contacted Jaggu who also had a look at the car, and suspected the spark plugs or if not, the ignition pack. I prayed it would be resolved by the former, which anyway needed changing at the 40,000 kms service.

I stuck around, and after the spark plugs were replaced, even test drove the car twice to see if the issue was resolved, It felt okay, and so i gave the go-ahead.

Following is the breakup of the service costs :

Fuel Filter : 139.52
Mesh Filter : 120.31
Wash fluid pouch : 49.89
Oil filter : 81.75
Element aircleaner : 267.46
Brake pads : 1442.52
Distilled water : 5.62
Spark Plugs : 4 * 68.72
Engine Oil : 736.00
Clip (?) : 6 * 3.84

Labour :

Service : 916.80
Brake System bleed : 183.36
Brake pads remove & install : 213.92
Spark plugs remove & install : 61.12
Consumables : 175.00

Total on Labour : 1550.20
Total on Parts : 3140.99
Total including tax : 5243.00

With the brake pads replaced, the grinding sound from them has stopped.

The car felt good, but the jerking was back again this morning. Now, i strongly suspect the ignition pack, which i have heard is not among the Ikon's strong points. Shucks!

The reverse light issue is still not properly resolved, although i was with them when they were testing/checking the same. It simply is not always reproducible! It worked like a charm when they were checking, and now, here it is.

The car is beginning to demand more of my time, compared to earlier. I just hope Carnation turns out to be a decent alternative.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:36   #355
Team-BHP Support

The ignition coil will set you back by about 6-7k at the authorized service center.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:43   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The ignition coil will set you back by about 6-7k at the authorized service center.
Currently, trying to get it sourced through Carnation. Lets see if it works out.
Between, thought of you as soon as i felt the ignition pack may need to be replaced. At what reading on the odo was your replaced?
Old 29th December 2009, 17:01   #357
Team-BHP Support

Late 40's but the car had really started to rock and roll by then.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...when-idle.html (Problem: Ford Ikon vibrating (almost shaking) when Idle.)
Old 29th December 2009, 17:23   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I stuck around, and after the spark plugs were replaced, even test drove the car twice to see if the issue was resolved, It felt okay, and so i gave the go-ahead.
============================
The car felt good, but the jerking was back again this morning. Now, i strongly suspect the ignition pack, which i have heard is not among the Ikon's strong points. Shucks!
Shucks +1! I had a feeling it was the coil pack, told to check the plugs since they were touching 40k kms and knowing Ford A.S.S they wont even open and clean the plugs in between. When you changed the plugs coil regained a bit of its juice and soon went back, darn.

Its not completely conked, but loosing steam i guess.

Unless, you want to get the plug wires also checked, only doubt being the wires coming separate, or does it come along with the coil, as a single unit?
Old 29th December 2009, 21:08   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks for the link to that thread, Eddy. Looks like it indeed is a very common trait of the Ikons. However, mine is just below the 40k mark, standing at 37,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Shucks +1! I had a feeling it was the coil pack, told to check the plugs since they were touching 40k kms and knowing Ford A.S.S they wont even open and clean the plugs in between. When you changed the plugs coil regained a bit of its juice and soon went back, darn.

Its not completely conked, but loosing steam i guess.

Unless, you want to get the plug wires also checked, only doubt being the wires coming separate, or does it come along with the coil, as a single unit?
I am not sure if the unit comes along with the wires or separate. Will have to check with them, if it comes to that.

I took the car out in the evening to pick up my wife from work, and while i was on my way to E City, the jerks were very much prevalent. However, later on it just stopped and the car was behaving normally, and no loss of acceleration!

What i now doubt is if fuel quality had something to do with it. The past few days, i was not in a position to tank up the car, and so the car ran till close to the red mark on the fuel gauge. I wonder if the residual petrol from the tank had something to do with this.

It could also be that once the engine is sufficiently warmed up, it doesn't show this problem, which must have been the case when the service advisor first tried the car before service.

I shall wait and watch, and update accordingly. I sincerely hope it doesn't come back.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:46   #360
Team-BHP Support

Fuel filter was changed @ service right? so just tank up from a reliable IOC pump and dump some iftex and then you can rule out the issue.

Most Viewed