Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 11:10   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

The car felt good, but the jerking was back again this morning. Now, i strongly suspect the ignition pack, which i have heard is not among the Ikon's strong points. Shucks!
I think its the spark plug cables, not the coil. Check with ohmmeter.
Old 30th December 2009, 11:14   #362
Team-BHP Support

Yeah M already suggested, but am not very sure you get only wires for iKON, it comes as a sealed kit IIRC.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:55   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah M already suggested, but am not very sure you get only wires for iKON, it comes as a sealed kit IIRC.
We can get cables and coil seperatly from the open market, not through the A.S.S. I got these as different units, not as a sealed one in Delhi and i think, they should be availabe in bangalore too.

@Benny -- if you are sourcing these from the open market, please get through a reliable source. I was told, there is plenty of duplicate stuff doing the round in the market, while getting the coil / cables for my car

Last edited by pankaj_sachdeva : 30th December 2009 at 15:56.
Old 30th December 2009, 16:54   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Fuel filter was changed @ service right? so just tank up from a reliable IOC pump and dump some iftex and then you can rule out the issue.
I have always stuck as far as possible to HP for fuel, and that too the bunk near Cosmos Mall. However, i am just assuming its the fuel for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think its the spark plug cables, not the coil. Check with ohmmeter.
The issue is, whereever i take it, they try to follow the replace policy. With the part costing close to 6k, as others mentioned, they would be more than happy to go about replacing it, rather than checking if anything else is wrong.

If only someone could direct me to a reliable mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
We can get cables and coil seperatly from the open market, not through the A.S.S. I got these as different units, not as a sealed one in Delhi and i think, they should be availabe in bangalore too.

@Benny -- if you are sourcing these from the open market, please get through a reliable source. I was told, there is plenty of duplicate stuff doing the round in the market, while getting the coil / cables for my car
Pankaj, i tried to use Carnation to source the ignition pack, but even after they said they would get back to me with the details, they havent done so, and its been 2 days since. I called them back 4 times and now i am beginning to wonder if the experiences with Carnation of the other members on the forum is true. Despite all the big talks, they dont seem to get the execution right.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:02   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Benny, get some fuel additive & give Mike a work out on the highway. May help clear up things. Borrow some System-G, or try any of the others..
Old 30th December 2009, 18:13   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, get some fuel additive & give Mike a work out on the highway. May help clear up things. Borrow some System-G, or try any of the others..
Took it out on a spin today, and except for the occasional jerking, it was fine. Ripped it a bit, and it pulled well. shall try with the additive. Would have tried out shell, but had already tanked up from the HP bunk near your place following the service.

Meanwhile, i blackened out the B pillars on my car as a DIY. Thanks to Condor who helped me procure the vinyl sheet. It looks fine, except some creases which crept in on the first sill that i had done. Learning from my mistakes on that one, the others went well. Some pics, although it doesn't stand out as much as it would on a lighter colored car.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_7125.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_7128.jpg

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_7131.jpg
Old 30th December 2009, 19:19   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link to that thread, Eddy. Looks like it indeed is a very common trait of the Ikons. However, mine is just below the 40k mark, standing at 37,000 kms.

I had a similar issue in my Ikon @ 50K and it was diagnosed to be ignition coil and it was replaced. I was able to source it in Chennai (outside Ford dealer) at 3K and my car is 68K on odo and it is still running fine.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:33   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I had a similar issue in my Ikon @ 50K and it was diagnosed to be ignition coil and it was replaced. I was able to source it in Chennai (outside Ford dealer) at 3K and my car is 68K on odo and it is still running fine.
Going by what i have read from other ownership reviews and comments, this is the part which seems to have a regular failure on most Ikons. Pity this struck my car earlier than most others.

What was the name of the company who made the ignition coil, if you can remember?

At the dealer i was told there is a new ignition coil which comes these days, and is much better than the older lot which is present on our cars.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:35   #369
Team-BHP Support

Ignition coil replaced

It was beginning to get rather difficult to drive in traffic with the car just firing on 3 cylinders. There was loss of pickup and jerking, along with decreased fuel efficiency. Decided to check out the local spare parts shop near my place if they stocked the ignition coil for the Ikon.

I had searched around and come to know that Magnetarelli was the supplier of the ignition coil which was used on the Ikon as OEM and so was pleased when the same was also present with the spare parts guy. I had used the services of these guys on earlier occasions and so we had a healthy rapport between us. One of them accompanied me to nearby garage which they used to take their cars to as well and introduced me to the owner, a guy named Suresh.

Suresh test drove the car, and also checked if there was a problem with the cables, which turned out to be negative. The ignition coil was replaced, and both of us test drove once again to check, but the issue was resolved.

I think i have just found the place where my car would head for service henceforth, since the visits to the dealer was beginning to turn out to be expensive, and also quite time-consuming.

Total cost of the whole exercise:
Ignition Coil - Magnetarelli
Part No : A988F12029AD
Cost : Rs. 2500/-
Cost of labour : Rs. 100/-

So, completed the job with Rs. 2600/- as the expense from my side.
Compare this with the 6k which i was quoted by the dealer, and the 10k which i was quoted by the Bosch service center!

A big thumbs down to both Carnation service, as well as the nearby Bosch service center.. one for lack of response, other for exhorbitant pricing.

The name of the spares shop is:
Swift Automobile Spares,
Marathalli, Behind Federal Bank ATM,
Bangalore -37

They also have an outlet on JC Road.

The car is back to its usual self and feels as good as ever.
Signing off, here is a pic from last weekend after a nice 3M wax treatment which i had done myself.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-img_7163.jpg
Old 14th January 2010, 14:38   #370
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant. ATB with the car.

If you have their number, can you enquire about the price of the clutch assembly and the rack and pinion steering arrangement please ?
Old 14th January 2010, 14:52   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Brilliant. ATB with the car.

If you have their number, can you enquire about the price of the clutch assembly and the rack and pinion steering arrangement please ?
ATB? Didnt get what that meant. :P

Just checked with them, and was informed that clutch assembly costs Rs. 5.5k, sans the cost of the bearings, which costs Rs.2.8k and needs to be replaced only if it totally out.

About the rack and pinion steering arrangement, said the whole assembly would be expensive, and asked to check if the assembly is actually faulty, or if its just the oil seal or the tie rods.

Between, don't tell me the rack and pinion assembly has a problem on your car!
Old 14th January 2010, 15:29   #372
Team-BHP Support

Replace the bearing when you replace the clutch, its totally worth it.
Old 14th January 2010, 16:26   #373
BHPian

Quote:
The car is back to its usual self and feels as good as ever.
Signing off, here is a pic from last weekend after a nice 3M wax treatment which i had done myself.
Good to know that the replacement has been done and that the car is back to normal. As you said, Carnation and Bosch seems to be a let down in terms of their promised. I thought Ford parts were supplied by Motorcraft.

Motorcraft

Now, you need to go on a drive to ensure that all is working well!! You know my number!!
Old 14th January 2010, 16:57   #374
Team-BHP Support

ATB bole to All the best

The PS fluid is leaking but the pump ain't the culprit. Ford will change the entire assembly for close to 20k. I am looking for cheaper options ya !
Old 14th January 2010, 17:23   #375
Senior - BHPian

Dude, thats great news. Is this the same shop I told you about or another one? I need to desperately get my car serviced. I am sure there might be some suspension work required as it is close to 50K now. Are these guys upto it?
Or, I was thinking of getting the car serviced by the Metro guys, take down the list of things they think need changed/repaired and check with the your guy.
Whaddya think?

Most Viewed