Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 00:45   #496
BHPian

re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Am one of the people who are not so happy with the A drives. I feel appreciable loss of grip and increase in the road noise after 30-35k mileage on my swift. I would either go for Acellers or the ones that SS-traveller has got for his Swift (can't remember which and too lazy to search. Its mentioned in his JK tyre thread)
Hey Eddy, what tires were you on earlier? Acelere or Michelin XM1+ is a better choice for sure. For the price though, A drives is a good buy!
Old 21st December 2010, 00:48   #497
Team-BHP Support

I was on the OEM JK tyres for 53k.

I dont think there is substantial diff in the prices of A drives and apollo, or is there ?
Old 21st December 2010, 17:25   #498
BHPian

Quote:
I was on the OEM JK tyres for 53k.

I dont think there is substantial diff in the prices of A drives and apollo, or is there ?
There is a difference of about 400 per tire, which may not be substantial. I'm at 6300kms and one puncture with A drives. Lets see how the tire unravels!! Sorry to be going slightly off topic Benny boy! Maybe you should consider Aceleres or Michelins. Let me know when you are going to get it done. Will tag along.
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:53   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

@Eddy, doesnt the Appolo Accellere's lack on grip?. That's one of the reasons I went for Turanza's.

Pretty hard(side wall) though, I guess. Suits bad roads perfectly?
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:46   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
@Eddy, doesnt the Appolo Accellere's lack on grip?. That's one of the reasons I went for Turanza's.

Pretty hard(side wall) though, I guess. Suits bad roads perfectly?
I drove an i20 shodded with the Accellere's and it seemed ok to me. But yes, I need something to handle the horrible Gurgaon roads.
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:39   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
There is a difference of about 400 per tire, which may not be substantial. I'm at 6300kms and one puncture with A drives. Lets see how the tire unravels!! Sorry to be going slightly off topic Benny boy! Maybe you should consider Aceleres or Michelins. Let me know when you are going to get it done. Will tag along.
A welcome discussion, considering that i am evaluating my options for a tyre change soon.

For the kind of roads i travel, and trips i make, i would prefer a tyre with a strong sidewall. I would like minimal damage in case i crash into a hidden pothole, or even fly over an unmarked speedbreaker.

when i enquired, the A Drives are priced lower compared to the Appollos. Dont remember the exact amount, though.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:17   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I drove an i20 shodded with the Accellere's and it seemed ok to me.
Sorry Eddy, I forgot to mention that "wet" grip was lacking. Otherwise, the Accellere's seemed fine for me too, but on wet tarmac, they behaved awfully skiddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For the kind of roads i travel, and trips i make, i would prefer a tyre with a strong sidewall. I would like minimal damage in case i crash into a hidden pothole, or even fly over an unmarked speedbreaker.
Benny, are the Bridgstone Turanza's on your list?. Pretty hard sidewall, and decent grip. Better than the MRF's, XM1+. but, I guess they will be priced tad higher.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:13   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry Eddy, I forgot to mention that "wet" grip was lacking. Otherwise, the Accellere's seemed fine for me too, but on wet tarmac, they behaved awfully skiddy.
Worse than even MRFs on wet tarmac? I dont think so.

Quote:
Benny, are the Bridgstone Turanza's on your list?. Pretty hard sidewall, and decent grip. Better than the MRF's, XM1+. but, I guess they will be priced tad higher.
I was looking more at the lower end of the spectrum, but budget willing i would anyday prefer Michelins over the other options.

Meanwhile, here is an update on the current ownership experience:

Owing to the poor condition of roads in TN in the year 2007, i had damaged the rims on my car by ploughing through potholes in the night. As a result, there was wobbing which was observed which was even at slow speeds.

I had planned to replace them with alloys sometime later, but somehow those plans got shelved. I then decided to get new rims and was on the lookout for second hand ones. I had sent out word on the same to Nikhilb2008 who informed me of the availability of the same. Managed to get 4 new rims and with that the wobbling which was observed earlier has been eliminated.

I was able to check this out on the trip from Bangalore - Kanchipuram following Xmas and the car drove well without any issues.

Odo is inching close to the 55k mark now.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:18   #504
Team-BHP Support

Benny look at the Turanzas from bridegstone if you need a tough tyre.

The A drives are very good budget tyres but look a bit too soft for me, especially the sidewall which feels very flimsy.
Old 17th January 2011, 03:12   #505

Ikon 1.3 Flair 2005 - 1L kms

Guys, my boy has touched the magical 1 Lakh kms mark yesterday night while driving through Karaikal (UT of Pondy)... it was such an experience, was feeling very proud about this achievement as you have done it all yourself, though i get kicked by my friends for burning fossil..!!! It took 5 yrs 4 months to cross 1L kms.

Have started taking pictures right from the moment that the odo touched 99999 and how it reset to 00000... what a moment to behold, i simply love this boy and i am thankful to him for keeping me & my family safe in all our drives, never let us down.

I got wind of this thread quite recently and my first posting began when the boy was at 94000 kms couple of months back...pls. do check my earlier posts in the same thread...

My son was born after the purchase of this car and from the day 1, he has travelled on this fellow only, he is so attached to this car that he doesnt let me even think of changing it, he simply doesnt want to change him... look at my little helper who is helping to clean the car windscreen with paper, just half an hour before the car turning 1L...

Have recorded every form of expense since the date of purchase, am consolidating it and will shortly publish the cost of ownership data shortly.

Great going Ikon boy, thanks & cheers to you!
Attached Thumbnails
The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc02709.jpg  

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc02718.jpg  

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-dsc02701.jpg  

Priyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 11:13   #506
Team-BHP Support

Priyan, that is indeed a magical moment in your ownership experience! Meanwhile, here i am waiting to welcome in the 55555 mark today.

Do put up the consolidated ownership costs. Would be useful for a comparo. Wishing you many more happy miles!
Old 19th January 2011, 15:06   #507
Team-BHP Support

55555 and counting!

It was only a few days back that this came up on the odometer :

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-photo0327.jpg

In 10 days, it brought up the next major milestone in my Ikon's ownership tale - 55555 kms.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-photo0341.jpg

Next week, its time for another Kerala trip, to celebrate the hike in petrol prices. The car should be due for the next scheduled service upon return.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:15   #508
BHPian

Benny, please avoid A drives. I have those on my esteem and had two punctures in a few thousand kms.. that too after driving it 'carefully'... On the other hand, the bridgestone potenza (on my previous car M800) and XM1+ on the Accent back home are kind of trouble free. A drives are pretty soft so the ride quality is superb. They offer good mileage as well (vis a vis the other two) however are too soft for our roads.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:21   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jeep, I too have had 2 flats (on diff tyres) within 15k km. But I cannot attribute it to the tyres. When at speed, I dont think you can predict if a nail on the road will pierce or pass (away from the tyre).
Old 19th January 2011, 15:21   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats ben, on the achievement. May MIKE crunch many more miles with all 'JOSH'.

Also, I assume you are running non-OEM ignition coil. Do you notice any changes in FE or power?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks