Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 14:13   #556
BHPian

Re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes

Just stumbled upon this thread and OH MAN! it brought back such awesome ikonic memories for me. We had a Green Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi in the family from 2002-2006. It was a 2000 model , bought used with a mere 6000km on the odo! My dad enjoyed driving the car and as a kid back then, I too loved every moment of riding in that car. Yes, it had its share of problems but I can never forget it ! I still remember the sad day when I stood in the compound with eyes welled up as I saw it leave , never to return again!

Also, might I add benbsb29 that your MIKE looked really beautiful! Hats off to you for the awesome maintenance .
Farewell, MIKE !
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:53   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread and OH MAN! it brought back such awesome ikonic memories for me. We had a Green Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi in the family from 2002-2006. It was a 2000 model , bought used with a mere 6000km on the odo! My dad enjoyed driving the car and as a kid back then, I too loved every moment of riding in that car. Yes, it had its share of problems but I can never forget it ! I still remember the sad day when I stood in the compound with eyes welled up as I saw it leave , never to return again!

Also, might I add benbsb29 that your MIKE looked really beautiful! Hats off to you for the awesome maintenance .
Farewell, MIKE !
I'd missed this post earlier. Thanks a lot for the wishes. Time sure flies, can't believe it's been more than a year since the car went away!
Old 22nd May 2021, 01:49   #558
BHPian

Sorry missed this. That's a touching farewell written 2 years ago!

I remember once crossing each other somewhere in TN, I was driving back to Bangalore and you were on an emergency trip to Kerala. I recognised your car by the colour and number.. i faintly remember 62. Not sure. And you would come back and tell the story of getting windshield damaged reroute by a stone being thrown on purpose
Old 12th June 2021, 21:07   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Earlier this month, after a life spanning 13 years, Mike was laid to rest. On a more technical level, was sold to scrap in Kerala.
Hey Benny, I seem to have missed this update on your car.
And frankly, I find it incomprehensible that such a well maintained car had to be scrapped. It surely could have found a new owner, with many more years life left in it. Anyway, there were reasons for the decision, as you listed.

BTW, when you say "sold to scrap", I guess you mean, it was bought by one of those scrapyards who will dismantle and sell the parts to customers who either want cheap parts or aren't able to source some parts in the market?
Old 15th June 2021, 09:54   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Sorry missed this. That's a touching farewell written 2 years ago!

I remember once crossing each other somewhere in TN, I was driving back to Bangalore and you were on an emergency trip to Kerala. I recognised your car by the colour and number.. i faintly remember 62. Not sure. And you would come back and tell the story of getting windshield damaged reroute by a stone being thrown on purpose
Thanks, Jeep. Time flies so quick. Hope you have been well.

I remember you mentioned you saw me, as well as the unfortunate incident with the windshield. This was when tensions were running high owing to the Cauvery issue, and my car sported a KA registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey Benny, I seem to have missed this update on your car.
And frankly, I find it incomprehensible that such a well maintained car had to be scrapped. It surely could have found a new owner, with many more years life left in it. Anyway, there were reasons for the decision, as you listed.

BTW, when you say "sold to scrap", I guess you mean, it was bought by one of those scrapyards who will dismantle and sell the parts to customers who either want cheap parts or aren't able to source some parts in the market?
SB, the car was being used in Kerala by my in laws, and FIL was quite meticulous with maintaining it. At some point, we noticed the expenses were climbing, whether some of it was the dealership taking advantage of him, we don't know. However, we did want to get a new and safer car and the question came up with regards to a trade-in. First, we were offered a pittance. Even to get that, they mandated the registration was transferred to Kerala and NOC made available from KA. In short, there were too many things to be done, and at some point it becomes a pain to manage it all and the decision was made.

FIL was so impressed with the Ford DNA that the replacement was an Ecosport.

To answer your question, yes the car was bought by a scrapyard to dismantle.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed