Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 13:32   #211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The wind noise are you sure its the glass and not the air recirculation flap NOT getting closed completely?
Firstly, this was not there before the windshield replacement. Also, after the temporary fix which they have done for now, this has disappeared. It was an obvious case of shoddy workmanship with the sealant. They conveniently blamed the 3M sealant.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:01   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Firstly, this was not there before the windshield replacement. Also, after the temporary fix which they have done for now, this has disappeared. It was an obvious case of shoddy workmanship with the sealant. They conveniently blamed the 3M sealant.
I had the windshield of my Ikon changed a few months back and the Ford service had kept the car for 1 day.

They had mentioned that the sealant needs drying time of atleast 10-12 hrs.I guess in your case the car was given to you much before the required time frame.

However, Ford service needs to hold accountability for such an error.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:44   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
I had the windshield of my Ikon changed a few months back and the Ford service had kept the car for 1 day.

They had mentioned that the sealant needs drying time of atleast 10-12 hrs.I guess in your case the car was given to you much before the required time frame.

However, Ford service needs to hold accountability for such an error.
Interestingly, they had kept the car with them for 4 days, including the service which was carreid out. I dont think they needed more time to do the job properly.

They have accepted their mistake, and agreed to redo the job, hence i am somewhat pacified. The temporary fix done by them seems to have helped though.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:03   #214
Team-BHP Support

No reverse, just forward approach

I had my cousins over from Kerala on the weekend, and decided to go around Bangalore showing them around. Had been to Nandi hills and back.

While we stopped at a restaurant for lunch, i was in the process of parking the car. Decided to back into the parking slot to enable an easier exit once done.

I press the clutch and shift to reverse.
It refuses to slot in.
Try again... no success.
I shift to first, move forward a bit, stop and try again.
Again, no luck!

The gear moves to the right, but try all you want, it just refuses to slot into the lower right corner. Thinking i may not be trying properly, i ask my cousin to try. Still no luck. Amazingly, all other gears slot in happily like a hot knife through butter.

Deciding against breaking the lever in itself, we give up. Park the car in a different position where we do not need to reverse to get the car out and proceed for lunch. All through the lunch, i am quite lost in thought, and unable to even enjoy the food.

Post lunch, i try again with still no progress. Since we were close to home, i drop off my cousins and head to Lathangi Ford. Call up both Jaggu as well as Condor to let them know of the situation.

Jaggu feels it may not be a major issue, and i am slightly consoled. Condor still isnt convinced.

Reached Lathangi around 4PM. They hoist up the car, and after checking it says that there is a spring which helps engage reverse, which seems to have broken or dislocated itself. They estimate about a day or two to get the work done and i am flabbergasted. No vehicle means that our plans go down the drain. I request them if there is any way they can get the work done the same day, i am even ready to wait till about 7-8PM. They say no.

I take the car and tell them i shall be back some other day. Decide to take it as it comes. Having suitable manpower at hand where horsepower isnt available is slightly comforting.

Try calling up some of my friends to see if i could borrow their car for the day. Again, no luck.

Visit Forum mall in the evening and park the car. While on our way out, look around to see less people around and then push the car out of the parking slot. Its highly amusing to those watching.

Its a similar story at various other places we visited, including Empire Koramangala and so on.

I hope to take the car for repair sometime this week. Thank God for Extended Warranty.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:40   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reached Lathangi around 4PM. They hoist up the car, and after checking it says that there is a spring which helps engage reverse, which seems to have broken or dislocated itself. They estimate about a day or two to get the work done and i am flabbergasted.
Ben is this spring inside the gear box or outside? Did they check the gear cable?
Old 9th March 2009, 21:13   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ben is this spring inside the gear box or outside? Did they check the gear cable?
They say this is the one inside the gearbox. When i asked them to check the cable, they said there is no cable! They did check the lever beneath the car, though.

What exactly is this cable called? I would be heading there tomorrow evening, and so the info would be useful.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:21   #217
Team-BHP Support

Gear linkage is through cable activation instead of rod, there are two of them IIRC
Old 9th March 2009, 21:33   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gear linkage is through cable activation instead of rod, there are two of them IIRC
I shall check with them again regarding this. But, had there been an issue with the cable, will only the reverse gear be affected?
Old 9th March 2009, 21:38   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I shall check with them again regarding this. But, had there been an issue with the cable, will only the reverse gear be affected?
Yes if the cable for reverse gear had snapped.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:51   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yes if the cable for reverse gear had snapped.
Vid, to access this cable, would they need to open up the gearbox or can it be accessed externally?
Old 10th March 2009, 11:00   #221
Team-BHP Support

Cable can be accessed externally, it connects the gear lever to gear box. One end goes to your gear console and the other to gear box link.
Old 11th March 2009, 01:46   #222
Team-BHP Support

Here is a chop job which i had done on my car's pic, giving it body colored side and bumper strips as well as door handles. I feel the car looks way more elegant with this treatment, and have been thinking about it.

I have also given it a B pillar treatment which can be done via stickering.

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-copy-3-img_4367.jpg

Opinions, guys?
Old 11th March 2009, 01:53   #223
Senior - BHPian

Benny its late. Sleep now. (Translation: please dont do that, makes Mike look like a woosie)

edit: Hope the reverse gear issue gets sorted out soon man.

Last edited by sammyboy : 11th March 2009 at 01:56.
Old 11th March 2009, 08:15   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, the pic looks good.

But a little early for me to say anything yet. Need to see this in more natural light. (the light in this pic looks adjusted via exposure compensation etc).

The color of your car is kind of unique, which will make these mods not stand out so much / look out of place. (Same with dark colors like mine too). Esp with the B-pillar blackening - it will hardly be noticeable.

Do you want to try adding the chrome strip I had mentioned about ? Let me know the length (4 m should be sufficient I guess) so I can pick it up for you. You can always take it off if you dont like it.

Quote:
sammyboy : Benny its late. Sleep now. (Translation: please dont do that, makes Mike look like a woosie)
@Sammy, good one that !
Old 11th March 2009, 10:30   #225
Team-BHP Support

B pillar yes. Door handles, ORVM yes but dont fiddle with the side strips, my personal choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks