Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 14:07   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
, i decided to wait with the engine idling since i had seen the temperature gauge below the C mark. Meanwhile, we walked up and brought down the luggage. After idling the car for about 10 minutes, i noticed the temperature gauge had climbed to above the C mark. The vibration too had gone away.
Ben, wonderful pics as always!!
I idle the engine for 2-3 minutes daily in the morning when we leave for office to let the temp. needle reach the optimum level, though I have not felt the loss of power when the engine is cold.
Instead, the car revvs more when the engine is cold and if I let go of the clutch, it takes off without me pressing the accelerator pedal. But after the engine is at optimum temp. it behaves normally. No issues so far.!!
These days it been cold in Hyderabad , firstly it was monsoon and now it's a cyclone
Old 8th November 2010, 14:22   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : The car was left parked in the open overnight in the rains, since there was no provision of covered parking.
Benny - was the car parked on a slope ? If yes, pointing in which direction ? How much fuel was there ?
Old 8th November 2010, 16:21   #483
BHPian

Quote:
While some others went about questioning Fords, and their complexity, i decided to wait with the engine idling since i had seen the temperature gauge below the C mark. Meanwhile, we walked up and brought down the luggage. After idling the car for about 10 minutes, i noticed the temperature gauge had climbed to above the C mark. The vibration too had gone away.
Looks like water in the distributor to me. Typical issue due to pressure wash+humid conditions.

Quote:
I love the Ikon! Even wifey has refused to allow to sell it when we upgrade. This one is going to be with us for quite some time.
So the upgrade coming soon, or are you waiting for the new generation Scorpio?
Old 8th November 2010, 16:24   #484
BHPian

This is one trip I've been planning to do for quite some time now. The cold-engine must've given you a good scare especially after all the wave bashing that you had done!! Keep the miles running! Post a video if you have.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:21   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, which route did you take to Kannur?. I heard that the mananthavady - kutta road is now OK?. or did you go through Sulthan Bathery?.
Dhanush, the route we took is :
Bangalore ->Hunsur -> Gonikuppe -> Virajpet -> Makootam -> Iritty -> Srikandapuram -> Chembery.

Our relatives were at Chembery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny - Lovely pics. Who's at the wheel, when riding those waves ?

.. are all still better than Mysore Road.

Btw, you're munching the miles much better than what I am doing with truck. Way to go !
That was me driving in all the pics. The splashing pics were taken from the videos we had made, and hence didnt come out with good clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I idle the engine for 2-3 minutes daily in the morning when we leave for office to let the temp. needle reach the optimum level, though I have not felt the loss of power when the engine is cold.
Instead, the car revvs more when the engine is cold and if I let go of the clutch, it takes off without me pressing the accelerator pedal. But after the engine is at optimum temp. it behaves normally. No issues so far.!!
These days it been cold in Hyderabad , firstly it was monsoon and now it's a cyclone
I used to do that earlier on, but didnt see the need for it since the car doesnt have any steep climbs after starting out. Situation was different on the Kannur trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny - was the car parked on a slope ? If yes, pointing in which direction ? How much fuel was there ?
The car was parked on level ground. Fuel was almost 3/4th full, i had just tanked up the previous afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Looks like water in the distributor to me. Typical issue due to pressure wash+humid conditions.

So the upgrade coming soon, or are you waiting for the new generation Scorpio?
Looks like the former.

Nothing about the upgrade for another year, although it could happen earlier. Unfortunately, i can only afford the LX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
This is one trip I've been planning to do for quite some time now. The cold-engine must've given you a good scare especially after all the wave bashing that you had done!! Keep the miles running! Post a video if you have.
We could go together sometime. Let me know.
Still need to upload the video on youtube. Will post here once done.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:56   #486
Team-BHP Support

Benny,

Been a silent follower of your thread for sometime now! I must say, it reminds me of our old Ikon that we don't have anymore! And I miss it quite a lot, despite it giving us so many issues towards the end of its life with us.

Oh, and congratulations on reaching the 50k mark!
Old 11th November 2010, 11:56   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Benny,

Been a silent follower of your thread for sometime now! I must say, it reminds me of our old Ikon that we don't have anymore! And I miss it quite a lot, despite it giving us so many issues towards the end of its life with us.

Oh, and congratulations on reaching the 50k mark!
Suhaas, thanks for visiting this thread, and also for the nice words. Please do keep visiting.

The ikon is certainly addictive, which explains why it has its share of followers despite its share of misgivings.

-------------------------------

The water bashing episode claimed in its tide the chirp of the remote locking, as well as the ignition coil. The central locking audio indicator now seems to be coming back to life with the water drying up.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:42   #488
BHPian

re: The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes

Hi all,
Here's my first post, and it's all thanks to Ben and the other 'Mike' owners on this thread. Thank you all!!!
Finally, after months of searching for a good, pre-owned car, I landed up buying a 2006 Ikon Flair, which had run about 48k kms. The car was bought through Carnation (marathhalli, bangalore) and from the very first test drive, I knew I had a winner in my hands. The car was in near perfect shape, a gleaming black beauty.

During the test drive, I noticed the car responded really well. The suspension was in good nick, with no creaks or rattles. The AC worked fine and the interior was in good shape. The ICE was good, although only the std Kenwood system.

Shortly, the deal was finalised and within a week, I paid the full amount and brought 'Mike 2' home

The following week was a trip to Mys with my friends, and the car was a hoot to drive on the highway. The handling was really good, and even with 5 ppl on board, the performance was adequate. The only thing that bothered was the steering wheel vibrate at around 110 kmph. The problem was traced to the ill-balanced wheels, and promptly, the wheels were balanced, aligned and rotated; and voila! problem solved, no more vibes!!!

Back to Bangalore, a visit to Sejal Motors was planned, and as has been said before, Mr Suresh was a really cordial person to talk to. He inspected the car, and said the car is fine, and wished me many happy miles with it. But he did say I paid a lil over the running price.

Overall, I'm a happy Ikon owner, I my sincere thanks to Ben and all the guys on Team-bhp for their valuable experiences and advice

Here's Mike 2
Attached Thumbnails
The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-image0165.jpg  

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-image0164.jpg  

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-image0163.jpg  

The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : The story concludes-image0162.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th December 2010 at 20:26. Reason: correcting orientation of the Image, please correct the orientation of the images as it makes the difficult to see otherwise, thanks
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 18:43   #489
Senior - BHPian

@hifisharu, congrats.

Btw, do you like rocket more than this Mike? Or was trying for a rocket and ended with this Mike. lol.

You made us sleep and view your mike picture sir.

Anyway, congrats again. Neat.

Happy miles ahead.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:03   #490
Team-BHP Support

Sharath, congrats on your car! Wish you a pleasant and joyous ownerhsip experience with the car.

Does the RC book mention it to be a 2006 model? Reason i ask is that from 2006, the Ikon Flair came with the bumper as seen on my car. Sammyboy's Ikon Flair which is 2005 model came with bumpers as on your car.

Could you post a pic of the interior, plz?
Old 16th December 2010, 23:34   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does the RC book mention it to be a 2006 model? Reason i ask is that from 2006, the Ikon Flair came with the bumper as seen on my car. Sammyboy's Ikon Flair which is 2005 model came with bumpers as on your car.
Looks like the car's make is '05 and its '06 registered. Sharath, please confirm.

Also, it looks like your still running on stock tyres. 48k and still going good... these MRF zvts' take a while to wear off, huh?.

.. and.. You've got yourself a great ride, friend!..
Old 17th December 2010, 07:27   #492
BHPian

Thank you for the wishes guys, Sorry for the bad orientation of the pics, thanks mods for rectifying it. Hope to bump ( maybe literally too???) into some of the team-bhpians in Bangy soon.

@mjothi: As usual, the hunt was for the rocket, but saw about 7-8 vehicles, all with bad papers, and too many mods, so settled for the saner choice

@others: Will check the papers and let you know, if it is a 2005 model. I remember the registration period to be May 2006.

@ dhanushs: When the wheels were being balanced, I asked the fitter and he said the tyres will easily run for 25k kms Are the MRF Zvts s made of concrete or what? Hope to upgrade to alloys (pref OEM) and Yokohoma A drives in the distant future
Old 17th December 2010, 11:34   #493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
@others: Will check the papers and let you know, if it is a 2005 model. I remember the registration period to be May 2006.
The size of the steering wheel will give you an idea of which model it is. Mine, which is a 2006 make comes with a smaller diameter steering wheel, which was promoted as being more sportier, while the previous version had a bigger steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
@ dhanushs: When the wheels were being balanced, I asked the fitter and he said the tyres will easily run for 25k kms Are the MRF Zvts s made of concrete or what? Hope to upgrade to alloys (pref OEM) and Yokohoma A drives in the distant future
The MRFs wont last that long. Mine is at 53.5k kms, and is nearing the end of its life. I dont plan on running them for long now, and will get them replaced with A-Drives.
Old 20th December 2010, 23:55   #494
BHPian

Quote:
The MRFs wont last that long. Mine is at 53.5k kms, and is nearing the end of its life. I dont plan on running them for long now, and will get them replaced with A-Drives.
A-Drives - Good Choice . You instantly feel the steering get lighter, more feedback, silenter (if thats even a word!) and much more grip.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:32   #495
Team-BHP Support

Am one of the people who are not so happy with the A drives. I feel appreciable loss of grip and increase in the road noise after 30-35k mileage on my swift. I would either go for Acellers or the ones that SS-traveller has got for his Swift (can't remember which and too lazy to search. Its mentioned in his JK tyre thread)

Most Viewed