Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 11:37   #31
BHPian

So it was the fault of the CNG installers, and not TATA's. Am I right?
Old 13th August 2007, 12:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

neel that was a forgone conclusion from day one. The installer crapped somewhere in the system and Tatas soiled their name in the process. I am sure Shrimanker will have to ultimately bear all the cost for this alongwith some tough words that they will have to digest from the Tatas. One thing I know from my dealings in the Client-Vendor kind of scenarios is that as long as the **** does not hit the fan the vendor still manages to kind of cover things up. But once that happens (As in this case where Tatas stepped in) the vendor is held by the... ummm... ok you know what I mean.

The trouble here is that whether it is the Tatas or the Hyundais or any other manufacturer. Once they decided to launch the CNG vehicle they were hindered with the low volumes. More often than not these launches are kept limited to NCR and in extreme cases Mumbai as well. That does not generate enough volumes for the manufacturer to establish a separate line to make these cars. Outsourcing it to some "experienced" vendor works out cheaper for them.

Maruti was the clever one. They very wisely chose the LPG option. This immediately brought in a much wider part of the country under coverage as LPG is much more widely available. So they could justify the establishing the DUO line at the plant level. And the results are there to see. Even the DUO has a waitlist!

By the way, if I am not mistaken the extended warranty coverage available on the regular WagonR is not available in the DUO AFAIK. You only get the standard warranty on these cars. At least that is how it was when the DUO was launched.
Old 13th August 2007, 13:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Just a point to think about - with reliance gas coming in cheaply ($5 an mmbtu translates to about 20-24rs per kg prices) across the nation, CNG is set to displace LPG
Old 14th August 2007, 10:08   #34
BHPian

thank God i did not get the cng fitted in the my xeta. i am sorry i could not go thru the whole letter but it is so unfortunate what happened to your car bro.

Well i recently done a bit of survey and made sure i speak to atleast 5 CNG Kit suppliers and the car company before i made up my mind.

I have 2 cars 2005 ikon flair and jan 2007 xeta. i daily ride to and fro my office around 100 kms. the reason i bought xeta was to get it cng fitted and save some money.

but later on i thought why loose whatever boot space i have in small car and i liked the car the way it is( big explaination in one of the other topics)
so i decided to get cng kit in my flair which relativly old has bigger boot and all that.

like i said i spoke to 5 to 6 cng guys everybody was ready to sell the kit and gave me the feed back that the kit works fine in the ikon. but one of my friend who had a corsa had suffered a lot due to cng kit car misfiring and almost all that mentioned above.

so i decided to speak to ford directly. i had to work hard to get to the right people in ford. basically what they said that in 2005 model the car is not possible to fit a kit as the engine is not compatible with the fuel and they very smartly asked me whether i am interested in selling the old one and getting the new cng fitted flair.

So again the search was on now i spoke to the cng guys about the xeta again everybody was jumping to fit a kit.

but this time i spoke to somebody in indraprastha gas ltd. about if they have the list of cars which are compatible to CNG. They gave a very casual answer "keji maruti ki gadiyo mein badiya chalti hai aur santro mein bhi theek hai baki to information aap hi log dete ho ke kaunsi gaddi CNG se kharab huyi hai". obviously i banged the phone.

so i called tata gurgaon office and i asked them i need a CNG KIT for my 1.4 xeta. they said tata was fitting the kit thru there dealers earlier but due to some problem in fitted cars they stopped it.

So i asked again should i get it from outside and the simple answer hit me" lagwa lo but warranty khatam ho jayegi and nuksaan aap ka hi hai".

SO AFTER ALL THAT I GAVE UP ON CNG AND DID THE BETTER THING THAN THAT. I STARTED A CARPOOL. SAVING MONEY, NO MODIFICATION OF THE CAR, NO DRIVING STRESS, AND GOT NEW FRIENDS ALSO.

My part of CNG Story is over.

take care
God Bless
and Drive safe

Manu
Old 14th August 2007, 11:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

With Ford, GM & Hyundai as their clients, shrimankar seems to be in great demand for his lousy unprofessional work. Why can't these companies find another installer ?
Old 12th July 2013, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Re: A reliable Indica Xeta - CNG?? ECU changed 7 times in 15,000km

Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but just wanted to check with Steer if he still has his car. If yes, where do you get the CNG serviced? It would amuse you to know that Shrimankar has shut shop now.

I too have a 2005 Indica Xeta 1.2 with the so called 'company approved' CNG fitment carried out by Shrimankar. Although, the car is a true 'headache magnet'; both in terms of the CNG paraphernalia as well as the regular 'TATA niggles', never faced an issue with Shrimankar.

The car crossed 1 lakh kms last month, needless to say the experience has been fraught with issues since the first day.

Anyways, the issue now is that Shrimankar has shut shop now and no other CNG service shop seems trained/equip to deal with the CNG kit that has been fitted on this car. Have been to 4-5 shops in Delhi & Gurgaon so far and most of them just refuse to work on it saying they don't know how to work on it.

A shout out to know if someone else in the same boat? Where do you get the CNG serviced?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks