Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 21:02   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
9 kmpl on a Fiesta 1.4? Surprisingly I am getting 10 to 13 on my 1.6 Fiesta, depending on traffic density and usage of AC.
If you read carefully, he drives the sx4 mostly in 5th gear at speeds of 60 to 80. In a similar situation, I guess I would get 14 to 15.
Yup!
He took it three-four times to ford service centre. They are not able to do anything, and just say that city driving figures (with ac) are like that, and the car would do better on highways.
Old 5th August 2007, 22:36   #32
BHPian

Sathya, that was a good write up.

You mentioned that in high speeds you just need to touch the steering to control, but wouldn't it cause disaster with a small mistake. Generally it should be a little heavy compared to lower speeds.

Recently I drove my friends Swift ZXI. I wasn't happy with the low speed power steering response. When I take a right turn the steering is moving like a spring to the left, so I have to hold the steering wheel tight which is irritating. With my Santro it was a pleasant at lower speeds, however in higher speeds greater than 110 kmph Santro was too responsive as the cut-off feature is not available, So I had to be too careful above 120 kmph. But here the Swift scores very good in higher speeds. Actually I left the steering wheel at 120 kmph and the car went straight and I was confident driving at this speed. Do you feel the same as in Swift since it shares the same platform.

One more feature where Maruti should have added to the timer feature is enabling power window even after the key is taken out. In Verna even after the key is taken out you can close the power windows (within 30 seconds) which is a nice feature.
Old 6th August 2007, 08:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post

Recently I drove my friends Swift ZXI. I wasn't happy with the low speed power steering response. When I take a right turn the steering is moving like a spring to the left, so I have to hold the steering wheel tight which is irritating. With my Santro it was a pleasant at lower speeds, however in higher speeds greater than 110 kmph Santro was too responsive as the cut-off feature is not available, So I had to be too careful above 120 kmph. But here the Swift scores very good in higher speeds. Actually I left the steering wheel at 120 kmph and the car went straight and I was confident driving at this speed. Do you feel the same as in Swift since it shares the same platform.

One more feature where Maruti should have added to the timer feature is enabling power window even after the key is taken out. In Verna even after the key is taken out you can close the power windows (within 30 seconds) which is a nice feature.
Exactly, this was my point in review. As per my recent reply, this falls in 1st zone of EPS, I feel I need to hold steering wheel tightly.

Since I drove at 110 for very short duration that too within few days of delivery, I didn't notice how EPS behaved.

I will now study EPS at different speeds and post my experience.

Absolutely, I too felt that power windows must be operable even when key is not in, timer will add to it.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:36   #34
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
1. It has steering wheel tilt, but can you explain what 'telescopic Steering wheel' mean?
2. Nops, I didn't see it in any cars in premium C and below (correct me if I am wrong), but saw it in upper segment cars like Optra, Civic, etc.
3. Nops, guess Verna had it, I am not sure. I rest my leg in small space available next to clutch - in fact I could keep it straight almost, it helps me relax. Not sure if dead pedal will give me this comfort.
Telescopic means the ability to move in/out, giving you the capability to adjust the distance b/w the wheel and the driver.

And SX4 does not have it.

VBV
Old 6th August 2007, 15:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Power steering is good, of course in lower speeds it doesn't show its capability - in higher speeds it does its job very well. I just need to touch it, needn't control it with pressure.
Can you elaborate on this as i am getting confused here. IMO the power steering would help you at low speeds rather than high.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:35   #36
BHPian

dear sathya,
very nice 2200k report on SX4, now keeping the cost apart ,please tell me how would you compare SX4 with CIVIC interms of looks/comfort/features etc?
Old 6th August 2007, 16:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
dear sathya,
very nice 2200k report on SX4, now keeping the cost apart ,please tell me how would you compare SX4 with CIVIC interms of looks/comfort/features etc?
I haven't driven CIVIC yet and haven't looked at its feature set either - I don't spend time on cars that I won't own in near future !!

wrt looks, its subjective. I like CIVIC's looks.

CIVIC is definitely comfortable than SX4, I just got to sit inside while someone came with it for putting seat covers. It feels posh and highly comfy, just look at leg space you have for driver & front passgr, amazing!!
Old 6th August 2007, 17:28   #38
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
dear sathya,
A friend of mine and I bought cars at the same time. He bought the Civic and I bought the SX4. I have to warn you that I love the Civic so I might be a bit biased here.

My friend was of the opinion that the extra 4-5L he spent was on things he would never get to use, like the space, the engine power etc., Other features like integrated stereo, airbags and ABS were common. So he was slightly worried if he was cheated by a few L. But I think differently, there so much more to car buying than just checklists of features. For eg., both SX4 and Civic have parking brakes. Check the design difference. The Civic brake handle is ergonomic and looks real cool. This kind of extra attention is paid to almost everything. And I think the extra lakhs has gone into the extra refinement.

The places were SX4 has an edge over the civic is in the GC and slightly stiffer suspension and steering. From what I can figure out, the civic has a slight oversteer due to its extra soft suspension.(I am a newbie and I might be wrong here). GC is obviously a pain point with the low floor of Civic. But then again, why blame the car for the roads.

I hope I answered your question...

However, if I did put in the 4L into the picture, my opinion would change slightly.
Old 6th August 2007, 22:04   #39
BHPian

I felt that the EPS was adequate in the SX4. Remember that the handling has to be commensurate with the wide rubber that is there on the ZXi - which is what making you feel whether it is asking for more effort. You cannot compare this with that of Santro with smaller car & tyres - in fact in Santro the steering tends to be very loose and ofter drivers taken sharp turns & is dangerous in high speeds.

Quote:
Exactly, this was my point in review. As per my recent reply, this falls in 1st zone of EPS, I feel I need to hold steering wheel tightly.

Since I drove at 110 for very short duration that too within few days of delivery, I didn't notice how EPS behaved.

I will now study EPS at different speeds and post my experience.

Absolutely, I too felt that power windows must be operable even when key is not in, timer will add to it.
Old 6th August 2007, 22:11   #40
BHPian

VBV - the civic is undoubtedly miles ahead in engineering & refinement compared to the SX4. But is it worth the extra 4L for that - I do not think so. Honda guys are fleecing & charging extra premium because of the brand equity they have. For typical city use & occasional long drives, its actually no big deal. The other factor is - that the Honda service dealers are not so good when it comes to service capabilities & attitude. I had felt maruti in that sense is quite okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post

This kind of extra attention is paid to almost everything. And I think the extra lakhs has gone into the extra refinement.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:30   #41
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
VBV - the civic is undoubtedly miles ahead in engineering & refinement compared to the SX4. But is it worth the extra 4L for that - I do not think so.
Yeah, the question was on comparison, keeping the price aside.

VBV
Old 7th August 2007, 23:09   #42
BHPian

dear guys, i asked that primarily due to SX4 having lots of features which other cars in that segment do not offer.plus i am getting the civic cheaper by 2.25 Lacs OTR being purchasing through defence canteen.so i had said keeping the cost aside which would be better. thanks for opinions.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

@merains, I would go eyes shut for the civic,if however you wanted the drawbacks of the civic VS the sx4 here's what I can think of:

Ground clearance and Bootspace.If these two are important for you then the civic may not be a good choice for you.
Old 8th August 2007, 23:14   #44
BHPian

thanks rahul,
i am going in for a civic MT and hope the GC could be taken care of with carefull driving and as regards lesser bootspace - i dont mind it. thanks again !!!!
Old 9th August 2007, 11:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Could somebody tell me how exactly the height adjustment setup on the sx4 works,I ask this because I dont know if just holding the lever on top raises the seat or do you need to perform some sort of a pumping action manually.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks