Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 00:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

sorry just noticed the post, check the dash and engine bay for any loose part or pipes that might be touching some place. Ensure you put your hand in when engine is cold.

furl smell is a common problem for most cars, esp new ones with evaporator bottle to collect the fumes, usually breather hose will get clogged or damaged and cause the smell. This is the cannister hose that ford is referring to.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th February 2008 at 00:11.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:28   #47
BHPian

Hello, I tried to have a look under the dash, was so complicated to see, but I couldn't find anything loose.

Btw, again the rattling noise has started coming from the center of the car. GRRR!

On speeds like 60-70 itself the tick tick tick noises from the wheels are so irritating!

cya
A
Old 26th February 2008, 21:56   #48
Team-BHP Support

Stupid doubts, have you checked your tyres? for any big stones or a piece or iron stuck on it?
Old 18th September 2010, 18:09   #49
BHPian

80,000 km review

Hi everyone aboard,

Been so long since I’ve posted here. Please it will be a short review.

I should say now with great pride that the Ikon is nearing 80,000 km. I’ve just lost myself in my mind thinking how to write out this review.

The greater part of the distance covered has been always fun-filled and even now it continues to excite me at the very first crank, releasing the park brake, shifting to G1 and driving out of the driveway which is a close degree U turn and watching the coolant temp rise from 27c on a typical morning to the optimal temperature, around 90c before it gets exposed to its optimum torque band gear shifts..

Brakes & Tires
  • The brakes were overhauled at 60,000 km, the front discs and rotors. Oh boy, what a beautiful braking experience after it. Totally confident, and u could feel the brake booster working efficiently.
  • The tires were changed at 46,500 km to Michelin XM1+’s and upsized to 185/60 R14. The tires perform perfectly for me.. I’ve had 2 punctures already, but it doesn’t mean the end of its life! Nearly 35,000 km and they may still last for another 20-30,000 km.
  • The alloys still fascinate me when I stare at it, but they appear to have taken their toll, quite used-look now, and with was it 8k-a piece shelf price at ford, wouldn’t be reasonable to replace all 4 for the sake of looks.

Mileage
  • Since I shuttle a lot on the highways, the monthly fuel average hovers between 8-9 L/100km. the average of this car over the last 45,000 km is at 9 L/100km. the best tank average I’ve got so far was 7.0 L/100km, the best tank I’ve had is 608 & 610 km figure, which was achieved once, each figure. Otherwise its 450-500km every tank, which is combined city and highway.

Performance
  • Performance still remains graded good by me, with regard to its odo. I’ve been able to cross 180 kph even now, and the latest remains recent within the last 2,000 km. But, when crawling through snails pace traffic, I can feel some kind of vacuum when accelerating, i.e. when its time the traffic picks up to a snails pace from a standstill, when I press the accel to gain momentum, the rpm drops a bit to below 800 rpm then only responds to my foot pressure on the accel, which would be to 1,250 rpm.
  • The front suspension shock absorbers were overhauled at 60,000 km. I actually missed the low slung look the car had prior to overhaul. After overhaul, the wheel arches looked so big like a off-roader he he. Hopefully it shouldn’t be long before it dips down again. But on a happy side-note, the overhauled suspension is much happier on the roads now, lessened road noise from uneven roads, a shallow silent vibration noise instead of a thunk thud, if any.

Interior
  • The interior still retains its stock look, no modifications to the seats whatsoever. The driver’s seat has been wonderful to sit in always apart from the times where my lumbar part tires out and longs for the lumbar support in the laura and jetta.
  • The rear seats are so comfortable that I feel jealous of the passengers in the rear, if any!
  • The a/c vents in the front windshield tend to mist up the glass very easily, which was solved by putting transparent cellotape over the vents, though they do not stick to the dash, its quite loose, but still it blocks off the cold air to the glass to a great extent and its like a great boon for drivers who sit low.
  • As for the front windshield, more than wiper scratch marks, what bother me is the sparkling diamond look, how do I say it? When the light falls on the front glass, be it daytime bright sun or night dazzling headlights, you see tiny micro spots on the glass that shine like diamond. Haven't found a way to figure out this, perhaps its normal.

Intelligence
  • The best intelligence combo this car can have is the ECU and ScanGauge II. The ECU to follow my commands of power mode (open loop) or economy mode (closed loop), and ScanGauge II to monitor readings. The readings I follow are, the instant/trip L/100 km, battery voltage, TPS and tank qty/distance to empty which are great helps, and is very close to the actual figure.

Maintenance
  • One bit of negatives now, the only gripe, maintenance! Quite a lot has actually been spent for maintenance silently. But all in the course of maintaining it well.

cya
A

Mods: Please add a "updated to 80,000 km" suffix to the thread title.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi Absar,

Nice to see that you are enjoying the 1.6 like it should be. Even nicer to see your latest updates here. You should post some good snaps here on this thread, though I have seen the snaps in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
the best tank I’ve had is 608 & 610 km figure, which was achieved once, each figure. Otherwise its 450-500km every tank, which is combined city and highway.
The best I have done on my Flair is around 560kms on a tankfull, though when I refilled, it only took around 26-27 litres. Somehow at the fear of being stranded, I refill after 550kms. Your figure of 610 kms on a tankfull gives me hope. Will stretch my running next time. The best average I have got on Highway is 16.6kmpl so this gives a range of around 747 kms on a highway. So next time probably Hyd-mysore run should be possible

Quote:
Performance still remains graded good by me, with regard to its odo. I’ve been able to cross 180 kph even now
This is where I get jealous with people owning 1.6 Ikon, I could stretch my Flair till 145kmph. It had gas to go beyond it, but probably can never match your figure

Quote:
Intelligence
The best intelligence combo this car can have is the ECU and ScanGauge II. The ECU to follow my commands of power mode (open loop) or economy mode (closed loop), and ScanGauge II to monitor readings. The readings I follow are, the instant/trip L/100 km, battery voltage, TPS and tank qty/distance to empty which are great helps, and is very close to the actual figure.
Can you give more information on this like how much cost?
Where did you get it from and how did you get it installed?
Would be quite handy to have.

Quote:
Maintenance
One bit of negatives now, the only gripe, maintenance! Quite a lot has actually been spent for maintenance silently. But all in the course of maintaining it well.
This is where I am at peace so far. I have only spent on the regular service till now apart from tints and seat covers. So maintenance is low as of now.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Absar,

Nice to see that you are enjoying the 1.6 like it should be. Even nicer to see your latest updates here. You should post some good snaps here on this thread, though I have seen the snaps in your garage.
@Fordmanchau,

thank you for your reply. i would gladly post some new pictures of the ikon since the ones in the garage are outdated, but its quite hard to get a photoshoot done, with the busy times of me and the car.

Quote:
The best I have done on my Flair is around 560kms on a tankfull, though when I refilled, it only took around 26-27 litres. Somehow at the fear of being stranded, I refill after 550kms. Your figure of 610 kms on a tankfull gives me hope. Will stretch my running next time. The best average I have got on Highway is 16.6kmpl so this gives a range of around 747 kms on a highway. So next time probably Hyd-mysore run should be possible
oh boy, 560 kms and it took not more than 27 liters? that's 4.83 L/100km, which i find it a tad hard to believe, only because thats TOO impressive. that tank sure would have required conservative, really conservative driving. during one trip of really light footed driving i've seen 5.8-6 L/100km instant consumption figure while doing 120ish, and the trip distance of 190 km got me 6 L/100km average which is impressive for this 1.6 to me. I was able to accomplish the two 600 tanks only because of scangauge to monitor how many litres and how much distance i had left to make it to the fuel bunk or not. i wouldnt dare to do it without scangauge. even at 80,000 km ill never trust the fuel gauge when it dips below 2/4.

Quote:
This is where I get jealous with people owning 1.6 Ikon, I could stretch my Flair till 145kmph. It had gas to go beyond it, but probably can never match your figure
hehe, you make me proud.. occassionally i tend to cruise at 150 steady.

Quote:
Can you give more information on this like how much cost?
Where did you get it from and how did you get it installed?
Would be quite handy to have.
there's a thread of this scangauge at SG do check it out; i'm sure you'll find helpful info there.

Quote:
This is where I am at peace so far. I have only spent on the regular service till now apart from tints and seat covers. So maintenance is low as of now.
when the odo moves fast, the speed of services increase and hence the frequency of maintainance. to give a hint, in the last 2 services, 60 & 70,000 km, i've spent 18+15=33.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:15   #52
BHPian

Hi Absar,

How nice to read of another pleased Ikon owner! Felt deeply nostalgic reading your report, especially the points you have noted which you like about the car, which I also feel. Ikon is truly a sweetheart car.

I have never hit 180 kph! Max I've done is around 175 kph, with four adults in the car. Last few years I've never taken her beyond 140. It speaks a lot of your care for her that your car still does high speeds easily.

I had a different (happier) experience with a frontal collision - I rear-ended a Scorpio and the Scorpio rear step ploughed through the Ikon's front. Strangely, only the headlamp assembly, grill, and grill struts broke. Absolutely no body damage. The bumper simply bounced back to shape.

I have a similar iKon - 1.6Nxt ZXI, March 2004 model, Oyster colour. It's done nearly 78k kms now. Because of my happy experience with Ford, I have remained loyal to the brand and have got myself a Fiesta 1.6S now.

Our beloved Ikon stays with us though, because my son didn't allow me to sell it and bought it from me!

Wish you many, many, more happy times ahead with your Ikon!

Last edited by Damu : 24th September 2010 at 11:16. Reason: Spelling and an edit
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:12   #53
BHPian

Re: 2005 Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi: 20000 km review. Update: SOLD at 98000 km.

Hi Team-BHP,

Once again, it has been a very long time since I’ve posted here. I offer my sincere apologies. But i have been reading up regularly here, although, silently, behind-the-scenes.

This will be the last time I post about this car.

I sold it about 7 months back at a shade above 98,000 km for 190 K. The last failure I had with the car was the dreaded fuel pump, after which it was replaced and sold off. It became more of a car to maintain again n again once it neared 90,000 on the odo, while fuel expenses were a different story, lol.

In 2011, I had used it very lightly for 9 months (only 10,000 km driven), more of an alternate car) till the fuel pump gave away.

The lifetime fuel efficiency of this car (60,000 km tracked for mileage) was 8.9L/100km or 11.2 km/Litre.

Even prior to selling at 98,000 km, the Michelin XM1+’s i shod at 46,500 km were looking so fresh. I still miss those tires, compared to the crappy Goodyears in the Aveo, which are way way waaay noisy and scream like a lion!!

In Jan-11, I started using the Aveo 1.4 which was fully chauffeured since May-07, to reduce usage in the Ikon, and i have drove 37,000 in it till now (current reading nearing: 53,000). I still can’t express why i love petrol cars, it could be the wide rev-band to the sweet roar that’s existent to petrol engines, but the time has come to move on, I’m getting a diesel next, which is for sure! Hint: I love my 500 and alternate week 800 km weekly commute!

Comparing the Ikon 1.6 and the Aveo 1.4 when it comes to the engine, suspension and comfort, the former wins but really i have to admit the latter is way spacious, and its 48 L tank allows me to have regular 600 km range tanks which is a boon for me, primary usage on the highway.

Over and out! Au revoir to this chapter!

absar
Absar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed