Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 16:32   #1
BHPian

2005 Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi: 20000 km review. Updated to 80000 km.

Hello everyone. This is going to be my First review here.

Back in 2005, it was time for me to get a new car for myself. I had a choice of few other cars, Accent (Petrol & Diesel), Ikon (Petrol & Diesel) and Siena (Petrol & Diesel) (All High End versions), to list a few. After few weeks of thinking, I chose the Ford Ikon 1.6, and had a Test Drive requested at my doorstep.

Within 2 days, a car came to me for test drive. It was the same color which I had thought of, Oyster Silver, but EXi model where I had decided for ZXi. It had clocked 9k km. I asked the person (who brought the TD car) whether it was really a TD car or what? Prompt came his reply, "Oh no, its one of our customer's car...” I was surprised. I asked why did he bring someone else's car? He replied “Oh because we did not have one at our dealership, and then this car was at the service centre for a service, so we brought it.” He also told that the ‘customer’ was informed about it and said OK about it. I knew this was a lie, a customer would never like or approve of a dealership to give out their car for TD's.

This car was nice, I did not really concentrate so much on the TD, I just drove it for 3-4 kms and was satisfied with it, cabin was silent, steering and acceleration were responsive so I told him an OK to go ahead with the booking, and 2 requests, firstly, do not put tints and secondly, remote locking accessory wanted. He told ok and went off. After the TD, I began to love it, but there were some things negative about the car which I did not know.

Within a week, we got a call from Chennai Ford telling that the car is ready for collection. I was excited and happy and went at late noon to collect the car. Upon going there after informing of my arrival and decision to take car from them, I was taken out to see my car where the number plates were being fixed. Here, one thing made me angry, they put tints. I called up that fellow who gave the TD and asked him about it, he said he did inform about it and they must have put it accidentally. I was OK with it; I took it as God's wish for the car to have tints around.

I drove homewards; filling up for 500rs on the way, the fuel gauge went up from E to 1/4 exact. I expected the FE to be around 10 kpl at least. I began to enjoy giving plenty of throttle to it just to feel the lovely thrust. Later after one week I did 500 again when it came to the exact mark where I refueled earlier, it clocked out to be 7 kpl. I was like unhappy about it, I thought it would improve later on and was OK with it.

I took it to the highway for the first time at around 110 kms odometer reading and did 160 at that time itself lol. It was a nice feeling. The car was so stable and there were no complaints about it in the first highway trip. I think that first highway trip FE was around 12.

Brakes:
As time passed, with lots of city and highway runs, the first accident happened to the car around 4000 km odometer reading on a highway where I was at 80 km/h a dog darted on the road, and I braked, the front 2 tires locked so easily, I had never tried the handbrake before, I use it only for emergency situations. I pulled up the handbrake lever thinking, the back brakes would help stop the car quicker... (My previous car was a Esteem VX, had beautiful brakes. Many situations were there when it made braking easier) But it did not. I noticed very little braking force from the rear wheels.

Alas, I hit the dog and my front bumper was partly broken and the fog lamp hanging. I also lost wheel alignment and balancing because of the impact. Poor dog! After coming back to Chennai after the remaining 400 km, I went to Ford to give it in for repair. And whoa, the dog didn’t break only the above, but also a vital engine part. Don’t remember what it was... Nuts! I got a whopping bill of around INR 20k. But insurance helped me. After this, I felt the bumper wasn’t strong??

I then came to know that the Ikon has a poor braking system- the brake discs are very light in the front, and the brake drums at the back ain’t any good! I even asked Ford if the option to fit ABS or disc brakes was possible... If I had ABS, wheel locking wouldn’t have been there in the scene. Had no luck. Ford said it wasn’t possible.
Till now this has been the only accident that happened to the car. Of course scratches come due to the idiotic traffic. But always I've been getting it removed by rubbing polish at the regular services.

Mileage:
Till now I've been getting about 7-9 kpl in the city with full time a/c and 11-15 on the highway. The highway runs are so fascinating in FE. I get 12 if the speed is varying between 120-160 speedo reading, and 16 if the throttle is set at 110 steady speedo reading. Till now with my experience, I've found that the sweet spot for FE on the highway is at 2,750-2,800 rpm, 110 km/h. I've no idea about the FE on the highway without a/c. But in city, once during winter I tried it without a/c and it came to 11 kpl..

A/c:
One of the most bugging problem I've got in the car was the intermittent a/c water diverter valve problem. It was so irritating that it was removed few months back because it failed twice a year and failed when the extended warranty expired, wasn’t in need to have it fixed back. So I’m doing well without it. No complaints.

Acceleration:
One doubt about the car's acceleration is, if I want to apply a very slight touch on the throttle, it takes a while for the engine to respond to it, and it’s given by a jerk. That’s the thing I don’t like.. Same applies for releasing the throttle.. There should be a solution for this! Perhaps some of you can help me about it. Other than that, love the acceleration. I’ve gone up to 5,500 rpm. The sound’s so sweet. I love doing 5,500 rpm in 2nd gear, and that’s mostly on the highway. The sound’s also so sweet when you do a smooth perfect shift from 2nd gear at 5,500 to 3rd gear. The engine gives a lovely sound.

NVH:
Recently, the car has began to give lots of thunk thunk sounds from the front as well as the centre when the car goes on bad roads or when its shuddering (at less than 1000 rpm). I don’t know what’s the reason for this..? Perhaps some one of you would have faced this issue and resolved it. I’m yet to inform the Ford people about this when it goes for the 20k km service.

Road noise is also very loud these days even if tire pressures are less than 30. Why is it? It’s getting boring. Santro is so silent, I’m jealous of it. Why can’t the Ikon be as silent as the santro in the cabin??

Uncategorized:
At random times in the night, when the car was shuddering (at less than 1000 rpm), the headlights would fade out and the low beam sometimes would stop working but then the high beam would be perfect. Happens randomly. This also has to be informed during service.

After the car crossed around 19k km, something unusual is coming from the steering wheel.. Whenever the wheel touches something like a hump or a speed breaker, a short creak- friction sound comes. This also comes when I turn the steering wheel, be it left or right.

Remark:
The Ikon is sure a lovely car to have, a monstrous car with the breed of American Fuel Guzzler in the engine. If the flaws mentioned in the review weren’t there, it would be a great car. I’m waiting to get these flaws resolved hopefully.

Sorry if its not proper. It could be better later with updates!

A
Old 14th August 2007, 17:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Absar, the noise which penetrates into the cabin is irritating for sure.
I dont really know what can be done about it.
Old 14th August 2007, 20:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice clean review Absar, Pls add some pics as well...

Abhi
Old 14th August 2007, 20:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Brakes:
As time passed, with lots of city and highway runs, the first accident happened to the car around 4000 km odometer reading on a highway where I was at 80 km/h a dog darted on the road, and I braked, the front 2 tires locked so easily, I had never tried the handbrake before, I use it only for emergency situations. I pulled up the handbrake lever thinking, the back brakes would help stop the car quicker... (My previous car was a Esteem VX, had beautiful brakes. Many situations were there when it made braking easier) But it did not. I noticed very little braking force from the rear wheels.
After I changed my First set of rotors and obviously switched tyres, there was a marked improvement in Braking.

Quote:
A/c:
One of the most bugging problem I've got in the car was the intermittent a/c water diverter valve problem. It was so irritating that it was removed few months back because it failed twice a year and failed when the extended warranty expired, wasn’t in need to have it fixed back. So I’m doing well without it. No complaints.
I have the exact same problem, although my cars under warranty and Ford pays for everything they replace!

Quote:
Acceleration:
One doubt about the car's acceleration is, if I want to apply a very slight touch on the throttle, it takes a while for the engine to respond to it, and it’s given by a jerk. That’s the thing I don’t like.. Same applies for releasing the throttle.. There should be a solution for this! Perhaps some of you can help me about it. Other than that, love the acceleration. I’ve gone up to 5,500 rpm. The sound’s so sweet. I love doing 5,500 rpm in 2nd gear, and that’s mostly on the highway. The sound’s also so sweet when you do a smooth perfect shift from 2nd gear at 5,500 to 3rd gear. The engine gives a lovely sound.
Oh that roar is so orgasmic. You bet that intake roar sounds like a tiger. I love it so much that I dont like a loud end can! However your car seems to be pinging. Do they do throttle body cleaning at service? Once they do so use IFTEX System G. This could also be the cause of the shuddering below 1000 rpm blipping the lights.

Quote:
After the car crossed around 19k km, something unusual is coming from the steering wheel.. Whenever the wheel touches something like a hump or a speed breaker, a short creak- friction sound comes. This also comes when I turn the steering wheel, be it left or right.

A
Get your CV joints checked.

Your review sounded so much familiar that I am beginning to wonder
how you havn't faced Fuel Pump issues.

But going by your report of random shudderring below 1000 rpm, I am beginning to think a little bit in terms of the Fuel pump issue and how the workshops sometimes try to cover it. Have you ever have a blown ECM fuse? Can you now check what rating your ECM fuse is?

Last edited by 1100D : 14th August 2007 at 20:43.
Old 14th August 2007, 21:36   #5
BHPian

I'm so sorry I missed out these parts. It slipped my mind while typing the earlier parts. Anyway here are the remaining parts.

After-Sales-Service:
The full form here, because I do not like the short form of it. Back to the review, I’ve been happy with Chennai Ford. They’ve satisfied me in every way, except one or two times.

One time when I gave the car for repair after that accident with the dog, they tried to fleece me. In the bill, instead of 800 rs for engine oil, they put 8000 rs. Luckily I had asked them for final draft bill prior to the repairs. That solved it out.

Second time was, one time I gave the car with an empty tank to them, and they were not willing to do service and repairs on it and I had no time to refuel it, and Chennai Ford has another branch where they do the body work on, so I asked them to do 10 litres of refuel, and they billed me for 20 litres. Hmmm.. And when I got it, it was still near E. Heck! That’s cheating. No way 20 litres could’ve got over so soon. I paid for only 10 litres and refused to pay for the remaining 10 litres. Few weeks passed, and they called me and said, your bill has a due of 500 rs, for 10 litres of fuel. They wouldn’t agree to take it off the bill and insisted that 20 litres was filled and fuel was used up for the service too. Didn’t want to argue with them and ruin my time just for 500, so I just paid off the 500 and left it.

So far these have been the only 2 times I wasn’t happy with them. But then most of the time I’m happy with them. One time before 5k km, the starter motor failed to work due to the monsoons, I called up the emergency hotline, within an hour a recovery jeep came to my house along with an engineer and they said it was manufacturing defect, and so they started it somehow and took it to their workshop to have it replaced. The car was given off to them with a 2/4 tank and I got it back in the same day, evening, but with a full tank. Now that’s courtesy. No charges at all.

ICE:
This car has totally stock audio setup. It still has the stock HU CD player + 4 speakers that came with it and I’m more than satisfied with it. The speakers give good output and have never let me down, only thing I miss is a steering remote and pause feature on it. One good question about the ICE I’ve been wanting to know is, does the rear of this HU have an aux socket? I could hook it up to my PSP and play mp3s rather than playing from CDs.

Comfort:
Another of the few topics that slipped my mind while making the review earlier.. The rear seats are so good! The rear comfort gets a 10/10 from me. However the front doesn’t. both the driver’s seat and the co passenger seat has its bad points. I’m a slim guy, so I find myself leaning to the left and rests on the inner side of the seat. Thigh support is kinda bad in the driver’s seat.

Now the worst part of Comfort in the seats is the co-passenger’s seat. The lower back is SO BAD (I rate 0/10 for that seat). Its like a pure 90 degree angle between the lower part and the backrest of the seat. Its very very easy to get back pain in the co-passenger’s seat. I feel so sorry for the people who sit in it. I don’t recommend people sitting on it for long distance drives. I’ve planned to ask the Ford people if they can mechanically adjust the height of the lower part of the seat to match the driver’s seat then it would be perfect.

Pictures will be added soon.

A
Old 14th August 2007, 22:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ICE:
I could hook it up to my PSP and play mp3s rather than playing from CDs.

Comfort:
Another of the few topics that slipped my mind while making the review earlier.. The rear seats are so good! The rear comfort gets a 10/10 from me. However the front doesn’t. both the driver’s seat and the co passenger seat has its bad points. I’m a slim guy, so I find myself leaning to the left and rests on the inner side of the seat. Thigh support is kinda bad in the driver’s seat.

Now the worst part of Comfort in the seats is the co-passenger’s seat. The lower back is SO BAD (I rate 0/10 for that seat). Its like a pure 90 degree angle between the lower part and the backrest of the seat. Its very very easy to get back pain in the co-passenger’s seat. I feel so sorry for the people who sit in it. I don’t recommend people sitting on it for long distance drives. I’ve planned to ask the Ford people if they can mechanically adjust the height of the lower part of the seat to match the driver’s seat then it would be perfect.

Pictures will be added soon.

A
I use a FM signal generator for playing MP3's.

Do you have seat covers? I find the front seats extremely comfy, but would agree about the lower thigh support though on the passenger seats. But the backrest angle is just a question of reclining the seat.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However your car seems to be pinging. Do they do throttle body cleaning at service? Once they do so use IFTEX System G. This could also be the cause of the shuddering below 1000 rpm blipping the lights.
Pinging huh? I shall note down throttle body cleaning to be done at service. I've never seen it on the service bills of all the services so perhaps its not done. Shall take your advice.

Quote:
Get your CV joints checked.
Point noted.

Quote:
Your review sounded so much familiar that I am beginning to wonder
how you havn't faced Fuel Pump issues.

But going by your report of random shudderring below 1000 rpm, I am beginning to think a little bit in terms of the Fuel pump issue and how the workshops sometimes try to cover it. Have you ever have a blown ECM fuse? Can you now check what rating your ECM fuse is?
I've never faced a fuel pump issue, nor a blown ECM fuse. No fuses were blown ever since car was bought as far as I know. Btw what do you mean by rating of ECM fuse?

Quote:
I use a FM signal generator for playing MP3's.
I don't want to use a FM signal generator. AUX is better. Do you know if the HU has an aux in?
EDIT: FM signal generator for PSP hasn't come out yet as of now.

Quote:
Do you have seat covers? I find the front seats extremely comfy, but would agree about the lower thigh support though on the passenger seats.
I don't have seat covers. I think you're fat to be fully utilising the seat?

Quote:
But the backrest angle is just a question of reclining the seat.
Reclining the seat doesnt solve it. Its like the seat is maximum low where our bums sit, and high where the thigh is and hence it feels like a sharp bucket for the lower back and reclining doesnt help, that area has to be brought up in terms of height (mechanically I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Absar, the noise which penetrates into the cabin is irritating for sure.
I dont really know what can be done about it.
Does it exist even for your new Flair? I'm glad I'm not the only person having this problem in the Ford Ikon.

A

Last edited by Absar : 14th August 2007 at 22:57.
Old 14th August 2007, 23:43   #8
BHPian

Nice review Absar though touchwood My Ikon 1.6 zxi 2001 has lot less issues.

And nice signature too.... loved it.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've never faced a fuel pump issue, nor a blown ECM fuse. No fuses were blown ever since car was bought as far as I know. Btw what do you mean by rating of ECM fuse?
When you open the Manual and go to the page that has the fuse usage table, find the fuse corresponding to ECM. (Number 8 or 4, I forgot). Check the fuse box if that particular fuse is Red (10 amps) in color or Blue (15 amps). I once had a surprise in store when the faulty fuel pump was not replaced but simply covered up using a higher rating fuse causing the car to judder sometimes when the Fuel Pump was malfunctioning.

Quote:
I don't want to use a FM signal generator. AUX is better. Do you know if the HU has an aux in?
EDIT: FM signal generator for PSP hasn't come out yet as of now.
The HU does not have any aux in. There is a 8-pin (I guess) for connecting the FMS (Ford Mazda Sanyo) CD Changer. The FM signal generator I use, has a lead that fits onto the headphone jack of any device I am playing.

Quote:
I don't have seat covers. I think you're fat to be fully utilising the seat?
I am not Fat.

Quote:
Reclining the seat doesnt solve it. Its like the seat is maximum low where our bums sit, and high where the thigh is and hence it feels like a sharp bucket for the lower back and reclining doesnt help, that area has to be brought up in terms of height (mechanically I hope)
Bingo, I have seat covers in my car (Ford Accessory) which provide the requisite padding to fit my body as a Glove. I would now probably beleive you as I am trying to remember my first meet with my car before taking delivery.
Old 15th August 2007, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
When you open the Manual and go to the page that has the fuse usage table, find the fuse corresponding to ECM. (Number 8 or 4, I forgot). Check the fuse box if that particular fuse is Red (10 amps) in color or Blue (15 amps). I once had a surprise in store when the faulty fuel pump was not replaced but simply covered up using a higher rating fuse causing the car to judder sometimes when the Fuel Pump was malfunctioning.
Hey 1100D, I just checked up my fuse box. Its all the same, 4 is the ECU fuse, it has 15 amps (blue) and 8 is the Fuel pump fuse, which has 10 amps (red).

Quote:
The HU does not have any aux in. There is a 8-pin (I guess) for connecting the FMS (Ford Mazda Sanyo) CD Changer. The FM signal generator I use, has a lead that fits onto the headphone jack of any device I am playing.
Aha! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look for a FM signal generator that can do the same. I'll drop out the AUX option now.

Quote:
Bingo, I have seat covers in my car (Ford Accessory) which provide the requisite padding to fit my body as a Glove. I would now probably beleive you as I am trying to remember my first meet with my car before taking delivery.
Oh okay! Btw, I just saw your garage and your interior is cream colour. Wow! Are those the seat covers which you got from Ford? Impressive! How much did you get them for?

I appreciate you helping me out in these issues.

Quote:
Nice review Absar though touchwood My Ikon 1.6 zxi 2001 has lot less issues.
Really? That's cool!! Keep up the good maintenance.

Cya
A
Old 15th August 2007, 18:26   #11
BHPian

New pictures added in the garage at Absar's Garage!

And, a picture of the odometer at 20,000 km.

Cya
A

Last edited by Absar : 15th August 2007 at 18:30.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:17   #12
BHPian

Neat review ,

For my Ikon i do feel the suspension is stiff and at times some portion of the jerk would be felt in the cabin.

Coming to the barking part , I feel confident about it for my Flair( may be Ford has worked on it) I did not had any issues so far.

By the way ,Absar is your IKON covered under extended warranty? let us know if this worth ,considering the cost of parts from Ford.

Currently my extended warratny would come to end during Mar '08.

During one of my visits to the service center, i noticed a small portion of the exhaust chamber may be catalytic converter chamber has some rust, for which the work shop folks said that no worry and is common.

This issue is in back of my mind, should I insist to get it rectified or ask for replacement?

Also let me know wht are other symptoms one should look out for in aIkon and take advantage during the warranty period.

Thanks,
Old 16th August 2007, 11:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

VC12, i have also opted for the Extended Warranty which came for Rs 5000/- for 2 years over the standard one year warranty that Ford offers.
Mine should expire in Sep, 2009.

Absar, checked out your gallery. Nice pics in there, i must say !!
Old 16th August 2007, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Yes, Benny same here. The Extended warranty is worth and I ll ensure to take max advtg out of it.

I am planning to visit my service center to avail a free wash, wheel alignment and rs.500 discount on acessories for the insurace renewal done thru ford.During which i ll have my car check througly and get if any part looks unwell.

Absar,

I always loved the oyster sliver in Ikon and this color was replaced with Platinum now.If this color was available during my purchase I wud have been owning the same color Ikon.

Well neverthless Panther Black is there .....( Ofcourse needs a a little more care to have that classy black appeal).

By the way I liked your Philips headlights, thise blue/white light is much appealing.

I suppose one can have these philips blue vision for headlights, fog lamps & for reverse lights? In a way i am bored of this yellow light....

Let us know how good or bad it is and will it effect any electricals or warranty.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
I am planning to visit my service center to avail a free wash, wheel alignment and rs.500 discount on acessories for the insurace renewal done thru ford.During which i ll have my car check througly and get if any part looks unwell.
Did they offer you this? My insurance is also up for renewal at the 1 year mark, and i am yet to do the same. Let me know, and i shall also go through the dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks