Old 4th September 2007, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Baleno Altura @103000 and still beautiful

Vehicle: Maruti Baleno Altura
Bought: Dec 2001
Price on-the-road: Rs.9.20 Lakhs all inclusive

First the bad bits:

NONE, ZERO, ZILCH

Fuel Average: Regularly gives me around 11~13 be it in city or on the highway. I would attribute this consumption on the highway to my driving style (always around 100-120 on single roads and around 100-130 on double carriageway roads).

Once around the 67000 mark gave me an average in the range of 17 as I kept the speeds around 80-90 kmph.

Interior: Have fitted art leather seats covers which were stitched on at the 60000 mark, prior to which I always felt that the standard seats fitted with Turkish material (same as the ones for the towels) were more than adequate.
Used to clean the interior myself or ask the driver to do it but of late got it cleaned at the dealership itself (have to admit, they did a pretty good job if a little pricey).

Maintenance: Have always got it serviced at CIL Pune at 10000 km intervals and never had any problems in-between. Does cost me an average of 1400 to 2000 rupees for a routine serve.Still on the first clutch and still going strong ( to be preventively replaced at the next serve )

Repairs –
1. Rear wheel bearings changed at 80000 kms -Cost13000 rupees Brake pads also changed for the second time.
2. Suspension overhauled at 100000 kms – (still the same coil springs and only suspension arms changed and struts replaced-Cost 25000 rupees

Tyre Change: First at 60000 kms –shifted to 175/80 R13 MRF ZV2K and now changed at 102000 kms to 185/65 R14 Michelin energy (fitted the rims of the swift and they work just fine)

Pending Issues:

1. Rear rubber beading as well as the rear wash -wipe to be replaced ( ordered for but since it’s a direct JAP import is taking slightly long to come)

Mods done / Accessories fitted:

1. Headlamp Bulbs changed from acceptable OE bulbs to Philips 100/130.
Slightly better focus and throw. I always dip my light at any oncoming vehicle and generally if they don’t then a couple of flashes give them the clue as to what they are supposed to do too.

2. Wiper blades changed to Bosch. Still can’t get rid of the greasy shield –ideas comments are welcome.

3. OE Head Unit changed from Kenwood to Pioneer mp3 player.

Overall impressions – Just love the car- I just hope that someone comes up with a way to retrofit an ABS system (over optimistic).
Just love it. Would really love to keep it forever as a spare car. It’s the perfect size for day to day use, doesn’t feel small but is compact enough too.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2007, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a fantastic and a very comprehensive review. Made for an interesting read. You really love your car dont you? We have Baleno reviews but this is a first for the Altura. How about some pictures of your car?

At over 1 lakh plus and still going strong. Well thats what Japanese engines are arent they?

Do keep updating this thread regularly.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

WOW! Thats a LONG term report alright!

9.20L? Goodness. To think baleno LXi was 5.63 on-road last year end, and i couldnt pick up such a VFM car. Man! i need a job (and salary) soon!

You havent mentioned anything about the build quality. Any rattles/such issues?
Old 4th September 2007, 17:06   #4
BHPian

Wow! The first review I've read about Baleno Altura and also having the car for 100000+ km. Wonderful review!

I was always a fan of its shape.. Station wagon type.

Have you changed the headlight casing ever since you upgraded to 100/130w?

You seem to be maintaining your car really well, so it serves you well too

cya
A
Old 4th September 2007, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
1. Headlamp Bulbs changed from acceptable OE bulbs to Philips 100/130.
2. Wiper blades changed to Bosch. Still can’t get rid of the greasy shield –ideas comments are welcome..
Nice to read this love letter to the Altura.
Re headlamps, are you sure this won't blacken your reflectors?
The greasy shield is nothing but traffic grime and perhaps wax polish from a cloth that was contaminated. Clean with a cloth dipped in strong detergent (but don't get any on the paint) and rinse. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Old 4th September 2007, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow.!!
It was fantastic to read the review of a rare breed on road that too with over a lakh kms logged..
Any issues of rattling interior plastics etc??
Old 5th September 2007, 00:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is a very good review on the Altura. I always found the Altura better looking then the Baleno.

Quote:
I just hope that someone comes up with a way to retrofit an ABS system
Sadly its not possible in India. Person needs a lot of technical insight to retrofit a ABS system.
Old 5th September 2007, 09:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
WOW! Thats a LONG term report alright!

9.20L? Goodness. To think baleno LXi was 5.63 on-road last year end, and i couldnt pick up such a VFM car. Man! i need a job (and salary) soon!

You havent mentioned anything about the build quality. Any rattles/such issues?
had some rattles ( over rough roads )from the dash and the plastic covering the A pillars @ 50000 Km but these were subsequently refitted and the problem has never arisen after that
Old 5th September 2007, 09:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Wow! The first review I've read about Baleno Altura and also having the car for 100000+ km. Wonderful review!

I was always a fan of its shape.. Station wagon type.

Have you changed the headlight casing ever since you upgraded to 100/130w?

You seem to be maintaining your car really well, so it serves you well too

cya
A
nope have not changed the casing- just keeping a good look on them to see if any hazing /dark spots start to appear. anyways its been 6 yrs so will need to change them in the near future anyways
Old 5th September 2007, 09:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Nice to read this love letter to the Altura.
Re headlamps, are you sure this won't blacken your reflectors?
The greasy shield is nothing but traffic grime and perhaps wax polish from a cloth that was contaminated. Clean with a cloth dipped in strong detergent (but don't get any on the paint) and rinse. You'll be amazed at the difference.
well as i said in the earlier post ,keeping a good look on them to see for any potential problems arising- already completed about 15000 kms witout any negative effect on the reflectors.

Have been regulary using colin but the effect does not seem to last more than a day, plus the wipers are barely 2 mths old so dont think its a problem with them. will try using another detergent and get back with the results
Old 5th September 2007, 09:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
That is a very good review on the Altura. I always found the Altura better looking then the Baleno.

Sadly its not possible in India. Person needs a lot of technical insight to retrofit a ABS system.
I dont think its possible at all - whether in India or anywhere else- spoke to some people in Bosch and they said it would not be worth to retrofit for any system as it would involve changing a lot of components making it unviable technically
Old 5th September 2007, 11:55   #12
BHPian

15,000 km done with these reflectors running on 100/130w bulbs? That's good! Also more good that you check them regularly for hazing/dark areas. 6 years on the stock reflectors? Wow! I wonder when you upgrade to new reflectors, would the light spread be more fresh?

On the other hand, you shouldn't mulitple post for each person's quote. You can use the Multi-Quote button on the bottom right of each post, the right button of the normal Reply with Quote button. You can select all the posts to be quoted, and on the last post u want to be quoted, after selecting the Multi-Quote, click on the normal Reply with Quote button.

I hope I made it clear.

Thanks,
cya
A
Old 5th September 2007, 12:35   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Thats a very good report. Now can we have some pictures of the car please? I love the Altura, only couldn't find one at a decent price when I was looking in the used car market.
Old 5th September 2007, 12:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

That was a very nice review of a very nice car.

The Altura was my first preference when I was shopping for a car in 01 - but just could not afford it. I loved the space in the rear - it just begs you to go on loooong journeys so casually....and with the Maruti service network the peace of mind is unparalleled.
Old 5th September 2007, 13:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
15,000 km done with these reflectors running on 100/130w bulbs? That's good! Also more good that you check them regularly for hazing/dark areas. 6 years on the stock reflectors? Wow! I wonder when you upgrade to new reflectors, would the light spread be more fresh?

On the other hand, you shouldn't mulitple post for each person's quote. You can use the Multi-Quote button on the bottom right of each post, the right button of the normal Reply with Quote button. You can select all the posts to be quoted, and on the last post u want to be quoted, after selecting the Multi-Quote, click on the normal Reply with Quote button.

I hope I made it clear.

Thanks,
cya
A
thanks for the same- much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Thats a very good report. Now can we have some pictures of the car please? I love the Altura, only couldn't find one at a decent price when I was looking in the used car market.
pictures are already present in the photo gallery- pls check them out and let me know if you need anything more specific

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks