Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 16:43   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
After all the pain you and your car went through, I must appreciate the fact that you still love her very dearly and more so, still have the sense of humor.
hey thanks bro and you know what, may be it is humor or may be i have gone crazy after all that.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:37   #32
BHPian

One question, i have a june 07 FLAIR, it has round fog lamps that came with the car even the bumper hape is different.
The one in the pic here looks like a sxi version...how so?

I was planning of wiring a pair of trumpet horns myself by drawing a line from the battery to a relay....but now i think i'll get a highway horn kit from FORD.
Will cost me 4K though wiring my self would cost me 500 with the horns/relay & good quality wire.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:01   #33
OEM
BHPian

Jees man,
Forget the car for a minute!!
Must say, that is one hell of resilence you have shown.

Take care and here's wishing that was the last of the troubles you had with your IKON

OEM
Old 1st April 2008, 14:33   #34
BHPian

Wishing You that It was the last of the troubles you had with your IKON... Must Appreciate that You Still Love the Car...

Last edited by vinzrox : 1st April 2008 at 14:35.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:43   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
One question, i have a june 07 FLAIR, it has round fog lamps that came with the car even the bumper shape is different.
The one in the pic here looks like a sxi version...how so?

Since 2006, IIRC the Ikon came with the new bumper having the round fog lamps. Sharma has an older version of the Flair.
Old 1st April 2008, 15:35   #36
BHPian

Such a good write up . Now I guess this thread should be closed by mods anytime soon unless the initiator updates any further development.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:11   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....I was planning of wiring a pair of trumpet horns myself by drawing a line from the battery to a relay....

Will cost me 4K though wiring my self would cost me 500 with the horns/relay & good quality wire.
DONT forget to throw a fuse in there (as close to the + battery terminal as possible), otherwise your car might steal the title of "worlds most unfortunate car"

cya
R
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
DONT forget to throw a fuse in there
Yep. Standard fuse box on the positive line to the relay right at the battery.

I've wired up a similar pair of FIAMM horns of the JAWA onto the kine, i'd planted a fuse on that first thing.I should point out that it trips once in a while, had it not been installed probably the horn wiring would have burnt up too on one of the instance where the fuse tripped.
Some times plain/dirty water makes it trip, when the relay(cut-out) gets wet..

But the Ford dealer warned that any extra wiring added to the battery would render the warranty void, and on persistent perusal one person pointed-> This out<-. so that the only legal way to get the horns and not render the warranty null&void. That after selling me a 3 year extended warranty

I'll have to buy that then replace it with the pair of bosch trumpet horns i got 2 days before delivery of the car.(I'm too used to using the trumpets, have the similar ones on the kine,118NE. The sales man then promised to get the horns fixed onto the car and took them, left them in the boot on delivery and said that they cant be fit coz the wiring would have to be cut, I'll put this up in detail in a review, when i write one sooner or later.)

Last edited by gendarmee : 2nd April 2008 at 03:00. Reason: adding detail
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sales man then promised to get the horns fixed onto the car and took them, left them in the boot on delivery and said that they cant be fit coz the wiring would have to be cut, I'll put this up in detail in a review, when i write one sooner or later.)
You paid for the horns, but didnt get them fixed? Whoa!!
You should have blasted them !

How much do those horns cost?
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:50   #40
BHPian

Sad story indeed but love the spirit when u say that the car will go down with you even after going thru so much. Shows how much you must love the car. I am sure the car is equally lucky to have an owner like you

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th April 2008 at 12:23. Reason: Showz = shows. You have been warned before, please follow the TBHP posting rules.
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
You paid for the horns, but didnt get them fixed?
How much do those horns cost?
I went to show room a gazillion times, from the start i didn't like the single female tone horn on the ikon, so when I'd booked it i asked the sales man if he could get one of my horns fixed, he immediately assured me that he would.
So next day, on the way to the i bought a pair of Mico-Bosch Trumpet horns and gave it to the salesman.
Two days after all the endless signatures and paperwork were done with they took me to the car, first thing i honked. next second i looked at the sales man, he said he tried his best, but because a wire had to be cut to fit the horns he couldn't get them fit.
That was a promise made by word of mouth, so thought of refusing the delivery but then took it coz he'd given Mp3 player, oval speaker for the back, round speakers for the front, essential kit(mud flaps+matting), exhaust trim, declid(boot chrome handle), Auto cop free, which he had promised on paper.
So its worth spending the 4K more getting that highway horn kit and replacing the peep-peep horns with the trumpet horns.
We wanted the purple color but that was replaced my jeans blue, Green wasn't there so got the paparicka red, is more lively.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:37   #42
BHPian

seems like ford cars are prone to catch fire know of 1 doctor in my city who had a ikon and it caught fire also
Old 4th April 2008, 12:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post

"SAAB GAADI MEIN AAG LUG GAYA HAI"

I Ran out to check, people were buckets of water and sand on the car the front of the car was smoking from the front and front bumper had totally melted and radiator was smoking big time. as soon as my senses came back i broke the hood of the car by pulling it upwards to save the engine.

we put out the fire. somebody suggested to take some pictures of the car for insurance purpose. the first picture of my car ever was in half melt condition here are few.

[/IMG][/IMG]

I quite understand your plight. Here is one latest incident of a Cielo in Hyderabad getting burnt (pictures taken by me yesterday).

Once I had a fiat 73 model way back in 1998. which was old ructy and rickety. As I was merrily driving one day, smoke came out of the car.. I got out and ran for my life....people came and poured water on the bonnet. The battery cable had burnt along with the wiring harness. The ignition wiring of the car had got crimped with the rusted bodyshell. Then I actually used some wires to start the car with the same battery and drive back home.
Attached Thumbnails
The Story of My IKON world's most unfortunate car.-03042008526.jpg  

The Story of My IKON world's most unfortunate car.-03042008527.jpg  

The Story of My IKON world's most unfortunate car.-03042008528.jpg  

The Story of My IKON world's most unfortunate car.-03042008529.jpg  

The Story of My IKON world's most unfortunate car.-2008040460250501.jpg  

Old 4th April 2008, 14:34   #44
BHPian

Whats was that. This is so unfortunate. Ford Icons- why are they prone to fire, accidents etc. I remember an instance where 4 people died in Mumbai as an Icon travelling at very high speed around 150 plus , broke into two pieces from centre.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have also seen a Icon on Fire in ECR chennai ..... but it was not burned completely as fire truck was there but most of the front part were burnt .....

Most Viewed