Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 17:11   #46
BHPian

OT - IMHO even the spark has a nice and a smooth gearshift among the chevvy's
Old 14th November 2007, 10:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

At what rpm does the engine redline? Is there enough range to play with? Or do you have to shift gears frequently?
Old 14th November 2007, 22:39   #48
BHPian

as far as i remember the engine redlines somwhere near 5k, i read shuvd's post somwhere about his magnum doing 160 in the 4th gear at 4.5k rpm [mine has done just 1500kms so not much of ripping done, atleast not till that extent]

above 2k you are the king no matter which gear and that goes on and on, but yeah in the city you'll have to shift, and i need to mention one thing (just my opinion), the turbo is a bit too powerful for the STOP & GO Traffic, so i just make a rule to shift before 2k or it would be a common sight tailending each and every other car in front of me on those stop and go traffic days, 2nd gear at really low speeds [0-10kmph] is not responsive (atleast in the initial few kms you may have to adjust with the gas and clutch ratio, after that you'll gradually get to know how to do the adjustment ). Its more getting used to the car that help more and more on the driving aspect.

hope this helps
cheers

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 14th November 2007 at 22:41.
Old 14th November 2007, 22:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
as far as i remember the engine redlines somwhere near 5k, i read shuvd's post somwhere about his magnum doing 160 in the 4th gear at 4.5k rpm [mine has done just 1500kms so not much of ripping done, atleast not till that extent]

above 2k you are the king no matter which gear and that goes on and on, but yeah in the city you'll have to shift, and i need to mention one thing (just my opinion), the turbo is a bit too powerful for the STOP & GO Traffic, so i just make a rule to shift before 2k or it would be a common sight tailending each and every other car in front of me on those stop and go traffic days, 2nd gear at really low speeds [0-10kmph] is not responsive (atleast in the initial few kms you may have to adjust with the gas and clutch ratio, after that you'll gradually get to know how to do the adjustment ). Its more getting used to the car that help more and more on the driving aspect.

hope this helps
cheers
thanks man. just wanted to know if it had the problem that the safari 3.0 had. I mean having a very narrow rpm range to play with once the turbo kicks in the the redline. Now i understand that we have enough range to play with here.
Old 14th November 2007, 22:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
thanks man. just wanted to know if it had the problem that the safari 3.0 had. I mean having a very narrow rpm range to play with once the turbo kicks in the the redline. Now i understand that we have enough range to play with here.
not a problem man, this is what i have started the thread for i.e. sharing my experiences with you all
BTW gemithomas do go in for a TD because its your own perspective that matters at the end of the day

cheers
Old 15th November 2007, 05:15   #51

engine sounds real sweet...i know of a friend whos turbo blew in the octavia....was a lac in costing....
Old 15th November 2007, 12:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

@ gemithomas - Its fine till 4500. Beyond that, there is a drop in performance. Redlines @ 4500 as well. You can revv till 5000, but no use. There are two ways to enjoy this engine. Either shift early and enjoy the torque wave or shift at the redline for crazy acceleration. Sometimes, the Magnum feels as fast as my turbo charged Octy!! Feels mind it, feels.

@ Beanstalk - Make that 170 @ 4500 in 4th.

Last edited by shuvd : 15th November 2007 at 12:09.
Old 15th November 2007, 12:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

drove an LS last week. Was wondering how a third passenger would feel when he is made to sit in the middle. SX4 too has a hard middle seat problem thanks to the handrest.

11 lac and a 4 seater?
Old 15th November 2007, 12:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

@ Jkdas - Don't know why people keep saying that the Magnum has space. I, (IMHO) think the Octavia offers more space except the rear legroom bit. Haven't used the rear seats in either, so I really don't know.

11L for LS?!! I got the LT here for 10.67 OTR, minus 50% off the insurance.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Jkdas - Don't know why people keep saying that the Magnum has space. I, (IMHO) think the Octavia offers more space except the rear legroom bit. Haven't used the rear seats in either, so I really don't know.

11L for LS?!! I got the LT here for 10.67 OTR, minus 50% off the insurance.

Thats what I felt coz of the bad design of the hand rest.

its 11lac for LT
Old 15th November 2007, 19:13   #56
BHPian

@ shuvd - will surely try revving upto 4.5k rpm after i complete 2000kms, nicely described the "ways of enjoying the engine" - you are very right about both the ideas
@ jkdas - haven't tried sitting in the middle backseat so can't comment

Ofcourse the magnum does not have LOTS of space , its just that its very comfortable and yeah actually the space in comparison with the close competition [8.5L - 11L range, till octavia, especially with a 9L verna] is considerably more.

P.S. acceleration is truly crazzyy @ shuvd

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 15th November 2007 at 19:21.
Old 15th November 2007, 19:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
@
Ofcourse the magnum does not have LOTS of space , its just that its very comfortable and yeah actually the space in comparison with the close competition [8.5L - 11L range, till octavia, especially with a 9L verna] is considerably more.

P.S. acceleration is truly crazzyy @ shuvd
LOTS OF BOOT SPACE TO BE SPECIFIC.
Old 24th November 2007, 07:04   #58

I have a few questions...
1. what colour suits the magnum the best?
2. what is the correct rpm for magnum to get max. FE?
In other words, at what speed should u change gears, starting from the first gear, to get max. FE?
3. What accessories do u recommend for the magnum LT?

PS: I am a proud owner of a black magnum LT......
Old 24th November 2007, 14:42   #59
BHPian

welcome to the magnum club.. congrats sibu

a) i personally think that sparkling diamond and black suits the the car the best
b) i didn't actually try getting maximum FE though i think that changing gears at around 1800 - 2100 rpm would get you the maximum FE (in other words avoiding the turbo would get you better FE IMHO). if you try it do share your experience
c) lol.. depends on you - get spoilers & skirts, better ICE, new wheels and if required new alloys as well , get a petes box when it comes out, change the bulbs (much needed), sunroof, and more and more and more. buddy it depends on you what you actually need and how much moolah you have

cheers
Old 4th December 2007, 17:22   #60
BHPian

hi all,

Took a test drive of diesel optra magnum LT in NICE roads of bangalore.

The acceleration in gear...

1st Gear - 45kmph
2nd - 90
3rd - 130
4th - 160
5th - 200

NOTE - Speeds were noted while the AC was ON with 3 people inside.

Even at the speeds of 200 and hard breaking the magnum behaved very well without skidding in straight line as well as curves. There was tyre noise while doing 200kmph and it should be rectified replacing it with good tyres. One thing which surprised me was even at that speed i didnt even feel that i was doing 200kmph it was like 100-120kmph.

Seating Comfort
I have tested corolla,skoda RS which when hard braked at high speeds people who are sitting in the front tend to fall on dash board and people who are sitting back side tend to fall on the front seats believe me its from my own experience(test are done without seatbelts).
One word for optra seating comfort = Excellent. There was one instance, which proved seating comforts of an optra, The guy who was sitting at the back seat was sleeping even after me doing such speeds and torturing the car which surprised me.

Things i liked in magnum are...
- ABS
- Airbags
- Excellent handling/Breaking
- good mileage for at least the speed i do
- Armrest
- VFM
- Seating comfort
- Leather seats
- Smooth gearshifts

There were lot of surprises at least for me who was driving ikon 1.6nxt(now sold).

I was in a big dilemma whether to go for verna crdi / optra magnum diesel, but now i am more leaning towards magnum... because Verna crdi lacks handling/breaking, Airbags, seating comforts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks