Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 17:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

Swift Diesel VDI (ABS) - 6 Years & 1.55 Lakh Kms

My first car ! My biggest spend since I started working about 15 months ago !

A Silky Silver Swift VDI with ABS.

I have just come back from the pre-delivery and registration check up of the car at the dealer godown. Let me just summarize on how I went about deciding, choosing and finally buying the car.

The journey begins...........

Decision 1 : Do I need a car ?

This was the biggest decision that I had to take. Since we already have an Ikon flair in the family and I get to use it thrice a week generally, I was managing pretty well with a car pool. So even though I wanted an exclusive car for myself for the independence it provides, I kind of kept delaying the decision since I did not want to spend on it.

However, my job profile changed and I was required to shuttle between a couple of offices in Gurgaon and Okhla. Plus my younger brother also started using the Flair a little more frequently. That was when I decided that I needed a car. I thought that I had made the toughest decision. Littlt did I know that there was more confusion to come...........

Decision 2 : What do I want out of my car ?

This was the phase that was the longest, most confusing and ultimately the most important. I simply did not know what I wanted to get out of my car. Do I need a vehicle that can take me from place A to B ? Or do I need a vehicle that is power packed and take me from A to B in the shortest time? Or do I need a car that is a jack of all trades and a master of none which every Tom, Dick and Harry Potter on the road would have ? Do I need a car only with economy in mind ? Or shall I buy one that looks very good even at the cost of FE ?

I simply did not have the answer to any of the above questions.

Decision 3 : Which car ?

Still no answers but I started on my search anyways. Classified my cars in the following categories:

--Pure Economy and no pleasure :
- Alto: Great VFM but too cramped for a family having 6 footers. Ruled out almost instantaneously.
- XETA CNG: Good economy but too many niggles. Ruled out.

--Alternate Fuel :
I wanted to get myself a CNG car but was scared of warranty issues. Waited quite a bit for Santro CNG to come out. Also spoke to a couple of dealers who promised to convert a WagonR into CNG and still honor the warranty but with too many riders. Sounded very fishy so dropped the idea. Drove a couple of CNG cars and did not like the sluggishness at all. "Hell, I am not going to compromise so much on the riding comfort for econmy ", a brave me decided. The queues outside CNG pumps were another deterrent.

-- Jack of all trade cars: Santro and Wagon R. Both good cars and I would have bought any one of them but for the news of their phase out and newer models coming up.

-- Total no-no: All Ford cars due to high maintenance. All fiat cars due to A.S.S experiences of friends and neighbors. (Markiv on this forum is a friend)

Then came the big day when I test drove the Swift VDI and I was in love. Looked like a perfect car to me. I love the Swift styling and this gave me good economy too albeit at a slightly higher initial cost. But I am the kind of a person who values the daily happiness derived from a visit to the fuel bunker. A run of 2000 km per month also meant that diesel would make more sense. So it was decided. A swift VDI.

If you guys think that I am too confused, let me tell you one think that was never in doubt - the color. My car, irrespective of which one, would be silver.

Small Hiccups:

Should I go for ABS ? I decided that 20k will be a small price to pay for safety if this feature helps. Since I do travel on the highway, though for only 20 odd km a day, I decided to go for it. But then came the bombshell.... VDI with ABS had a waiting period for 3 - 4 months. VDI without ABS was available in 3- 4 weeks. Some dealers even refused to book the ABS version and had many tales to tell.
" Sir, Swift has booster brakes. They are so powerful. Why the hell do you need ABS ? Wo to sirf paise kamane ka tareeka hai. Chonchlebaazi hai "

In parallel, came the HC order to evaluate phasing out diesel cars. I thought, what the heck !! But by now, I was in love and could not think of any other car so decided to go ahead.

The problem of waiting was also solved. Digged out a friend in MUL. He promised delivery of the car within 3-4 days for a non-ABS and 7-10 days for the ABS version. True to his word, I booked the car with Fair Deal Cars on 12 September and I did the pre-delivery inspection today. The delivery is expected to happen on Sunday.

-----------------------------------

During the Decision 1 & 2 time period, I came across Team Bhp. Wonderful and addictive. But there was a concern. In time, I got a feeling that the majority of the people here were different from me; had different views about cars and had different expectations from a car than I would have. I thought the average profile of a member would be someone in their thirties, professionally very well settled and had lots of money to spend on cars, ICE & modifications. People here owned Mercs. I wondered if their views would be applicable to me. In short, I was apprehensive if Team Bhp guys were as cost conscious as I am.

But during my stay here, I realized that you guys are capable of wearing different hats. GTO with a merc in his garage would advice someone not to buy a car that has high maintenance costs. I realised that this forum provided inputs that were much more informative and genuine that any car magazine would give me. Thanks Team BHP.

-------------------------

I am taking the delivery of the car on Sunday when I will come back with pics, dealership experience and then a long term ownership report.

And yes, I am still confused as to what kind of ICE to go for
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2007, 18:00   #2
BHPian

Quote:

The problem of waiting was also solved. Digged out a friend in MUL. He promised delivery of the car within 3-4 days for a non-ABS and 7-10 days for the ABS version. True to his word, I booked the car with Fair Deal Cars on 12 September and I did the pre-delivery inspection today. The delivery is expected to happen on Sunday.
Congrats on the new buy... you are getting the car within 10 days.. why don't i have a frd in MUL

Quote:
And yes, I am still confused as to what kind of ICE to go for
visit this forum to get more confused
Old 20th September 2007, 18:15   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
[center]My first car ! My biggest spend since I started working about 15 months ago ! [b]
15 months of work and a Swift VDi! Keep the good work up, and congratulations on your first car.

Quote:
[/i]Should I go for ABS ? I decided that 20k will be a small price to pay for safety if this feature helps. Since I do travel on the highway, though for only 20 odd km a day, I decided to go for it.
Extremely smart call. If ABS is available as an option, always tick-mark it on the order form.

Quote:
GTO with a merc in his garage would advice someone not to buy a car that has high maintenance costs. I realised that this forum provided inputs that were much more informative and genuine that any car magazine would give me. Thanks Team BHP.
Come on man, I work hard for and am extremely careful with money. Am glad that we helped you in your car buying experience.
Old 20th September 2007, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Or do I need a vehicle that is power packed and take me from A to B in the shortest time? Or do I need a car that is a jack of all trades and a master of none which every Tom, Dick and Harry Potter on the road would have ?

Great !! BTW - Smart choice - Getting it in 10 days itself is an achievment !! cheers !!
Old 20th September 2007, 18:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

congratz and join the gang
Old 20th September 2007, 20:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hello from another Vdi- ABS guy.

A pity that the Indians still do not value ABS...When they skid in a straight line in an emergency, they will know....
Old 20th September 2007, 20:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
visit this forum to get more confused
I know . I am already here

Special thanks to all the guys who I sent PMs asking for opinions. Your inputs really helped.
Old 20th September 2007, 20:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

welcome to the club.

Go for any headset with JBL speakers. Good speakers produce pleasant sound. Also if you are more of a soft music fan go for only rear speakers. This helps you to listen to music and also have a good road presence. I have done that and the experience is real good.
Old 20th September 2007, 20:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
welcome to the club.

Go for any headset with JBL speakers. Good speakers produce pleasant sound. Also if you are more of a soft music fan go for only rear speakers. This helps you to listen to music and also have a good road presence. I have done that and the experience is real good.
Thanks. Rear speakers even if I will be driving most of the time ?
Old 20th September 2007, 20:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

never seen a so passionate review. Congrats on your new car. Just take care of the steering response at high speeds. I think its too light or instinct turns in case of emergency. Just keep that in mind while you rip her later on.

Take care and drive safe
Old 20th September 2007, 21:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

nice choice

My first car ! My biggest spend since I started working about 15 months ago !

very nice narration Eddy.

and u are also going very fast Swift VDI in 15 months,so we can guess wats u gonna have in next 3 yrs.

congrats on ur ride and drive safe and enjoy
Old 20th September 2007, 21:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a well worded letter! Looking forward to your Vdi+ABS
Old 20th September 2007, 22:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
never seen a so passionate review. Congrats on your new car. Just take care of the steering response at high speeds. I think its too light or instinct turns in case of emergency. Just keep that in mind while you rip her later on.

Take care and drive safe
Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Quote:
and u are also going very fast Swift VDI in 15 months,so we can guess wats u gonna have in next 3 yrs.
Nothing at all for the next five years till I pay my EMIs
Old 20th September 2007, 23:04   #14
BHPian

CONGRATS on ur swift. i m also a proud owner though a non ABS.
didnot hv patience to wait for ABS.
Old 21st September 2007, 00:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Eddy, a decision well made. ABS is a very good feature and surely you will feel the 20k worth. So you, me, kuttapan thats three VDi's + ABS on this forum till date and lots of VDi's and LDi's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks