Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 10:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now we're Torquing!!

hi Guys,

Having sold off the baleno for tax considerations, did a lot of searching for my company car and narrowed it down to the safari. Although I could have gone in for a higher segment car per my entitlement, but looking at the roads in hyd and the generaly moronic behaviour(not to mention suicidal-this must be a Hyd speciality) of people on the road, decided that sedans were not for me- I wanted an SUV and a true blue one at that. Drove the Scorpio and was not too impressed by the cramped interiors,the interior design and the handling. the engine was great though.

After much deliberations and coaxing the better half (a.k.a. grovelling) convinced her for the safari- and so went ahead with the beast.

I have enumerated on the safari 2.2 thread as to why I went in forthe 3.0 and not the 2.2. some people think that I am mad, but to each his own, is what I say.

anyways, took delivery of the beast yesterday....a quartz black Safari 3.0 EX 4x2.

Have driven it about a 100 kms since last night. the car came with 24 kms on the odo. took the car from Autofin.

the delivery process was typically TATA- a mixture of the good and bad. The sales exec was a helpful guy, but woefully ineffective and it took the intervention of the Sr. manager, Mr. Ahmed, to get things going.

got the beast at 5 PM and promptly drove to the tyre shop in Bowenpally to swap the OE tyres for Bridgestone HT tubeless tyres.

the truck feels really tight and so far no niggles(touch wood!) except for a squeak in the steering wheel.

LOOOVED the driving position and the way sundry cab wallahs give you respect on the road. this has to be experienced to be believed and it took me by surprise on a couple of occassions.

need to upgrade the ICE and get a reverse parking mirror/camer(budget permitting) should get hte ICE when the truck goes for registration on Saturday.

will keep you posted as the time rollsby. planning to drive it to bangalore next month for a weekend break once the initial 1000 kms are done.

Cheers

Himanshu
Old 4th October 2007, 10:28   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
hi Guys,
get a reverse parking mirror/camer(budget permitting)
Why dont you fit a reverse parking sensor its not a budget crunching item.

Here are some questions to you
1. Having graduated from a super silent Baleno to a TATA!!! diesel, how do you find the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) characteristics of the diesel?

2. Do remember to put in your long term reports on how you find TATA's service compared to the kings of the service hill (Marutis).

3. She, being a big momma that she is, how does she behave under hard braking and sudden direction changes (if necessary) does she shift weight and give you a felling of lifting her posteriors off the ground ?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Why dont you fit a reverse parking sensor its not a budget crunching item.

Here are some questions to you
1. Having graduated from a super silent Baleno to a TATA!!! diesel, how do you find the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) characteristics of the diesel? actually, the cabin i smore silent than I expected. plus the baleno was not super silent- not with me redlining it on many an occassion!!

2. Do remember to put in your long term reports on how you find TATA's service compared to the kings of the service hill (Marutis). will do sir! per Zappo, autofin is one of the better TATA A.S.S. that is y I went to them

3. She, being a big momma that she is, how does she behave under hard braking and sudden direction changes (if necessary) does she shift weight and give you a felling of lifting her posteriors off the ground ?funny you mention that cause I had such an experience last night whent a bus decided to brake in the middle of the road to avoid a biker who had stalled while taking a U turn. The beast just took it in its stide and changed lanes. an this was up a steep incline. in retrospect, although i acted instincltively, given my reactions with the baleno and its grippy low stance, I think i would need to alter my driving style a bit

responses in bold........
Old 4th October 2007, 10:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Himanshu. You'll enjoy the beast. Any discounts on the 3 ?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey congrats dude!

so how much discount did u get bro? concorde offered me 25k + some freebies for the 3.0 lx
Old 4th October 2007, 10:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys

i got 42 K cash, plus free upgrade to tubeless and basic acc. like mattins, idol, etc.
Old 4th October 2007, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Himanshu. Very few cars in India can match the street presence of a black Safari. How about some pictures of the beast?
Old 4th October 2007, 10:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

congrats himanshu... please post some pics of the beast.
Old 4th October 2007, 11:05   #9
BHPian

Congrats! What is the OTR price?
Old 4th October 2007, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hehehehe - Look Who's Torquing Too!

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th October 2007 at 12:03.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

One thing I noticed when I went for the tyre change for the Safari- the dealer showed me bridgestone and Michilien. They were both 235 width tubeless, but the Mich were distinctly broader than the bridgestones- anyone running Michiliens noticed this?
Old 4th October 2007, 14:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Himanshu !!
Quote:
LOOOVED the driving position and the way sundry cab wallahs give you respect on the road. this has to be experienced to be believed and it took me by surprise on a couple of occassions.
You have got me thinking now .

BTW post up some pics of the new babe. We all would love to see it with the new rubber.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Congrats Himanshu !!

You have got me thinking now .

BTW post up some pics of the new babe. We all would love to see it with the new rubber.

Y dont you see her in person....am travelling to bangy on the weekend after Diwali and plan todrive down in the beast. we can have a quick meet up. need to meet badri as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks