Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 15:46   #16
BHPian

alankarm@sancha,
i am thinking of doing a good trip sometime now, and get to the 25k kms mark very soon (currently done some 23k kms).

are you planning to take the car for the regular service at 25k kms ? i didnt find anything useful done at the 15k kms mark. no oil change too. the dealer (dakshin) just told me that it is a recommended practice from honda to check if everthing is OK. that somehow sounded very unconvincing to me, when they were charging me around 600rs for that+pain&cost of taking the car for servicing.

instead, i would prefer taking the car for a nice waxing/polish before the dasara festival ends.
Old 16th October 2007, 16:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Civics braking is not poor by any standards, its quite decent and its just needs 205 size rubber. Good to know ST you plan to turbo it Its going to be a beast then, not that its not now. Enjoy the stock car, till the turbo comes.
Old 16th October 2007, 16:59   #18
BHPian

unknown,
I too dont understand why you commented that the brakes arent good. I once braked at 140kmph on the GQ with 3 rear passengers asleep and an elderly man in the passenger seat, and the elderly man was totally amazed as to how we saved a "stupid" life on the highway. the ABS noise however woke up one passenger who suspected we might have got a flat tyre []

more recently, i test drove a SX4 and the salesman was dumb stuck when i braked at just 80kmph and the car's back wheels skidded dangerously. could be due to the abuse the demo car would have undergone.

the EBD too works fantastically, though tough to observe on most occassions. there are these small indoor humps in my office campus, and i can feel the ABS kicking in on the wheels at different times with the car crossing the hump at a certain angle, speed and braking.
Old 16th October 2007, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkishore
are you planning to take the car for the regular service at 25k kms ? i didnt find anything useful done at the 15k kms mark. no oil change too. the dealer (dakshin) just told me that it is a recommended practice from honda to check if everthing is OK. that somehow sounded very unconvincing to me, when they were charging me around 600rs for that+pain&cost of taking the car for servicing.
Realistically Honda's require service every at 10k km (or once a year, which ever is lower), however you should visit dealer at every 5k km (or once in six months, which ever is lower) and ensure that the engine oil is changed.

Besides that the dealer might call you for service every 3 months (they keep reminding me), but that is only to make extra money. This is simply not required!
Old 16th October 2007, 17:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

For the Civic the engine oil change is required only for 10K kms unlike the NHC which is for every 5K kms.

ST7677, do you still think its worth changing it every 5K kms? its like 600 bucks, so money is not an issue.

I have an AT. Get around 8 in the city and 10-13 in the highways. Wide range of 10-13 depends on how you drive it. If you push it and use the Auto tranny you would get 10-11. If you drive nicely and with the Paddle shift you would get 13+

Last edited by csentil : 16th October 2007 at 17:59. Reason: Oops.. missed the oil
Old 16th October 2007, 17:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the Civic the engine change is required only for 10K kms unlike the NHC which is for every 5K kms.

ST7677, do you still think its worth changing it every 5K kms? its like 600 bucks, so money is not an issue.
Engine change @ 10k

I guess you mean engine oil change.

Yes, Honda recommends engine oil change every 10k but Team BHP recommends engine oil change at every 5k (this is more to do with our poor driving conditions and choke-a-bloc traffic the car).
If you do not intend to change the oil every 5 k, then there is no need for a service every 5 k, you can just go for 10k services.

Yes Civic breaks are very good. Fatter tyres will just make it even better by giving it more grip.
Old 16th October 2007, 20:36   #22
BHPian

and i hope you now meant "brakes" and not "breaks"...as far as i know the civic is quite strong.

one of my collegue's civic was once hit by a sumo from the back. he lost his boot door, but the sumo's tough looking front pole-bumper (the one attached to the stock bumper looking like bent poles/pipes) was broken and caused enough dent on his body too !

this incident also made my collegue (and me too) realise that this car can brake really well, but it is the other poorer vehicles (compounded by killer drivers) on the road that cannot cope up with its abilities.
Old 16th October 2007, 22:45   #23

Proud owner of CIVIC 1.8V AT

Enjoying the run-in period of the new CIVIC for the last two weeks and was surprised with mileage of 9+ during the second tank fill (city drive with out major traffic problems) with auto A/C always on.

I heard some people crib about Civic braking but personally I was much satisfied with Honda cars (OHC & new civic). Ofcourse the vehicle bottoming out in poorly built speed brakes is an issue which I got used to from my OHC experience, so should not be a major problem to handle.
Old 17th October 2007, 10:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Jash, Congratulations on your new V version Civic...

Drive safe and Keep us posted on your experience with the car.
Old 17th October 2007, 14:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Mysore Ring Road (from JP Nagar to Mysore road) has some horrible speedbreakers. Last weekend 5 of us in the Civic on that road, scrapped 3 bumpers out of a total of 12 I think. We all felt the scrapes on the left rear end of the car.

My friend's Verna with 5 on board scrapped 2 of those 3 breakers. So I guess any fully loaded car would have scrapped atleast 1 one of them. They were that bad. Other than that there was no problem.
Old 19th October 2007, 17:43   #26
BANNED

Civic owners - does your Steering wheel feels tight/heavy ?
Old 19th October 2007, 18:09   #27
BHPian

ST great thing that you started this thread, hoping all Civic owners who have enjoyed an extended stint with the vehicle will chip in.

And guys join me in congratulating unknown for his newly acuqired Taffeta white Civic.
Old 19th October 2007, 18:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Nope. Its a small steering wheel and is well suited for the car & is definitely not as artificial as the NHC. If it feels tight/heavy either there's very less air in your tyres or you need to check the wheel balance.
Old 19th October 2007, 22:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Unknown on your new car...

The steering is on a slightly heavier side compared to most other power steering found in B & C segment cars, but once you get used to it, it gives very good connect with the road and the car. (unlike City PS).
Old 20th October 2007, 07:40   #30

Little heavier than OHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Jash, Congratulations on your new V version Civic...
Drive safe and Keep us posted on your experience with the car.
Thanks ST7677, will keep posted on my experience after a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Unknown, congrats on your new car.

Yes it feels little heavy compared to my OHC, when you are on the straight road. Don't know whether it has anything to do with my steering setup(angle) & seating position. Because pulled the steeting all the way down & towards the driver position. My seating position also little further away from steering compared to OHC.

All said feel very easy & light in U turns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks