Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 12:19   #76
BHPian

As I had mentioned in an earlier thread I had issues with the keys of my Civic. Got the entire set replaced day before yesterday.

Gave the AGM a piece of my mind (mind you I found all the other staff to be very helpful apart from the AGM who was a - no abusive language on this forum says GTO - @$##%!&*^) and will definitely report that guy to the Honda company.

No other major issues pending except the damn loan in which the Kotak guys just keep on asking for papers. They have my entire file with them and god knows what else they want.
Old 29th October 2007, 14:17   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Congrats on your new Civic Tony...

Any issues will not be evident in single / few fills. I am not saying there is an issue.
But then there have been issues with other cars - specifically Skoda on using premium fuels. If you search you will find some thread in team bhp. And anyway it is not a good idea to use high octane fuel during the Run-IN period of your car (1st 1000km).

BTW did you notice any benefit of using Speed97?
The only noticeable difference was on mileage with Speed 97, which may not work out considering the difference in fuel price. I definitely felt there is a difference in low end torque compared to the car which I got for test drive. There is no conclusive evidence on better power or torque for Civic since I had driven hardly 2000KM out of which only once I filled it with Speed 97. Generally I fill Shell premium since it is on my way to office.

The question of compression ratio still remains, unless proved otherwise I go with 10.5 for Indian Civic which is pretty high and needs higher octance fuel! The only problem with using higher octance fuel than rated is that it can cause delayed starting at cold conditions and extreme cases exahust may contain unburned gas. The downside is that you may end up paying extra money with out any benefits.

I am very sure that it cannot cause any problem to engine (my arguement is purely based on theoritcal knowledge) unless somebody can convince me with data. I almost always filled premium pertrol in my Palio 1.6GTX (1:9.5 compression ratio) for 6 years and I never had any issues with it and felt there is a difference in performance when I was forced to fill 87 Octane.

But I generally filled 87 Octane in my Getz 1.3 GLS or any other cars I previously owned since I could not figure out any advantage because of low compression ratio.
Regards,
Tomy

Note: Tomy is drived from of Thomas and Tony is the pet form of Antony, so they are totally different names.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the name confusion!

The damage caused in these vehicles was not due to high octane fuel by itself, but due the unknown additives these petrol companies mix in these high octane fuel.

If you want to use Premium fuel go ahead. it's your take.

But Honda strongly recommends that you use regular fuel only. (there is no reason for them to do so, unless they are not comfortable about the premium fuel). Also if you face a problem while using Premium fuel, it may not get fixed under warranty - as in the Skoda case...
Old 29th October 2007, 19:00   #79
BHPian

On my ageing (65k kms) Santro, my FE had settled down to 13kmpl from a healthy 15kmpl earlier. I tried 2 steps :
1. since it was time to change from tyres, changed to tubeless
2. changed to speed93.

My FE was back to normal (15kmpl) and I mentally attributed each kmpl rise in FE due to "each" of the changes I did. I also felt a slight improvement in power and smoothness.

With this background, i ran my MT civic with Speed93 for the first 20k kms. the mileage within city was around 10 kmpl and highways varied (9-14) depending on how I drove the car.

I now use the regular fuel (4k kms done) and still getting the same FE as with Speed93. I havent felt any change in performance while doing those short run-ups in the city traffic (not more than 4k rpm). and i cannot really comment on higher rpms on the highway as i havent really done that in the recent past.

I am really clueless as to what is happenning. My *novice* bets would be :
1. the santro FE increased not due to Speed, but the tyres alone. So conclude that Speed doesnt really improve any FE.
or
2. Speed93 improved the FE on my santro (simple engine), but the returns on the i-vtec are over-shadowed by some other factor (the intelligent computer?).

i am sure that there could be better answers than above from guys on this forum.
Old 29th October 2007, 23:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

Civic and Santro are two different end of spectrum and cannot be compared!

My friend has M800 and he always uses Extra Premium because he gets better performance and 20% more mileage with that.
Whereas I have not experienced any preceptible improvement in mileage or performance on Civic.

So that explains the highe mileage you get on your Santro
Old 30th October 2007, 18:22   #81
BANNED

guys, a slight problem with my brand new civic v, when i start the car, and turn the steering wheel even slightly, i get a slight audible sound. this happens only when i start the car and turn the wheel even slightly, this doenst happen while driving. happens only once after starting the car.
Old 30th October 2007, 18:25   #82
BANNED

another thing, i am using extra premium/speed fuel. do you think its ok. i filled around 47 litres on the first day itself and much is left. are these premium fuels good for this car or should i switch back to normal unleaded one's.
Old 30th October 2007, 20:52   #83

Check out your power steering fluid level, had the similar problem & got solved after filling up the fluid. I am not an auto expert, just sharing my recent experience.
Old 30th October 2007, 21:15   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
ok...i'll do that and post it soon, but why do you want to know it. i've just bought it a week back, its the 1.8v.
My car manufacturing date is "Aug 07" & i've just bought it recently so wondering what manufacturing month vehicle you got ?
Old 31st October 2007, 07:58   #85
BHPian

is it possible to get a custom paint job from Honda whilst buying a new Civic
Old 31st October 2007, 15:44   #86
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want that?

They wont. Even if the dealer agrees to do it for you, he will make you pay through your nose for that!!!
Old 31st October 2007, 18:05   #87
BHPian

BTW: Did you guys get a warranty card for the batteries and all. I dont seem to have got one :(
Old 1st November 2007, 00:39   #88
BHPian

even i did not get the warranty card for the batteries
i am happy to see the civic club come back
had bought a civic MT recently ,no probs except that i am enjoying her
GC is a prob some times , but if you are careful then you can manage
FE i got is around 9-10 in city and 12-13 on highway in my 1500 km so far with 40% on highway and rest in city with AC always on ,cheers civic owners/lovers

Last edited by merains : 1st November 2007 at 00:40. Reason: spellings
Old 5th November 2007, 17:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

OK off topic, but my car gets 6000k Phillips HID xenons

Stock

Xenon

and... a DIY neon bright deep blue halos...

Old 5th November 2007, 17:30   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
OK off topic, but my car gets 6000k Phillips HID xenons
Congrats , how much did it costs ? I'm also installing but in White, btw is it allowed in blue ?

Ps: Any one has tried out "free accomodation " offer that has been given free with civic ?

Last edited by unknown : 5th November 2007 at 17:33.

Most Viewed