Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2004, 00:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica V2 DLE (Diesel) review

Here is my review on the car, which I will truly call a winner in the Indian Automobile Industry. It gave many a car companies a run for their money.

We booked the car on 21st November 2002, which was my birthday. An Emerald Green coloured Tata Indica V2 DLE. It came only with Air Conditioning. That time I didn’t have my driving license due to which my dad test-drove it and I didn’t. At that moment, he drove both of the versions, one having Power steering (DLS) and one, which didn’t (DLE). He didn’t feel a need for power steering at that time and secondly the DLS was 20,000 bucks more than the DLE. And as I didn’t test-drive it I decided to go ahead with the DLE. (The biggest mistake I made). We received the car in a week or two. The car was bought from Pune. Accessories?? Well mud flaps, rubber mats, engine compartment lamp, halogen bulbs and Sony X-plod Stereo. Got a ridiculous discount of Rs.3000/- on the cars price.

The car is very neat inside with quite a decent looking interior, which is ergonomic too. Rear space is fantastic and boot can take good amount of luggage. Rear seats fold nicely to provide some extra luggage space. The suspension is decent and appropriate for Indian roads. But my hands used to get screwed up when I used to park it in a parking lot or building due to the powerless steering. Seriously people, never buy a car of the size of an Indica without a power steering.

Overall performance in terms of acceleration isn’t all that good. The car is ok without the A/C but once you switch it on, the sluggishness comes into the picture, which is deeply felt while launching the car from a signal. I guess a turbocharger from the Indigo would do some wonders and infact, it would give a little better performance than the Indigo as Indica is lighter than the Indigo. Gearbox is kind of middle of the road, not good not bad but can definitely be improved or replaced with a better one. But keeping all this aside, the car provides some excellent fuel efficiency figures. I have received 17-18 km/litre many times.

Handling of the car is decent. You get the feel of understeer much more in a normal steering than a powered one. The car used to understeer at around 70-80 km/hr. Infact, I have experienced understeer at some flyovers having turns at around 60 km/hr. There is quite a body roll but again its upto you how you drive it and not take the curves gently. The car rides on 165/65 R13s, which are inadequate to take the cars weight. The 175/65 R14s from the Indigo will serve the purpose I guess.

My car had completed 15,000 kms without any fault. The only irritating problem encountered many times was of the silencer. Some springs between the silencer and the manifold used to get loosened up and the car would start making weird exhaust noises, for which I had been to the Wasan workshop at least 5 times. The mechanic used to lift the car over the ramp, tighten the springs and I used to head back home. On asking about the problem I was told that it was a manufacturing defect. Then the doors. One of the rear doors needed to be shut a little more hardly than the other ones. I face this problem with the Indigo too. On asking to Wasan service station mechanics, only one answer would come, “This is a manufacturing defect. It is a fault on every other Indica or Indigo” and they even said, “ This is not a Maruti 800 for the doors to get shut by just giving them a slight push!!”. Now isn’t that a terrific answer. But one thing for sure, the metal body is pretty strong. You get the feel of it on shutting the doors or the boot.

Its the best VFM cars around. You can have the DLS version at around 4.20lacs Ex-Mumbai.(approx. price)

The so called Refreshingly New Indica looks good but the major mistake in its design is that the track should be in line with the end of those flared wheel arches. The new crystal clear headlights, new grille, new bumper do provide a good look.

Finally, the Indica is no doubt a Champion. Hope we see some good improvements and better, more powerful versions in the near future. Oh Yeah! Don’t forget… good fuel efficiency too. * - Nishant Deshpande

Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2004, 00:34   #2
BHPian

Nice report Stratos. Its good to hear your indica did not give you a lot of trouble, considering it was a 2002 model. nice report on your indigo too.
Old 6th August 2004, 00:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Stratos

A very good and well put together review. After going through it I agree on the points you put forward since I have driven your Indica once

Cheers

Dippy
Old 6th August 2004, 00:49   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Here is my review on the car, which I will truly call a winner in the Indian Automobile Industry. It gave many a car companies a run for their money.
You said it, the Indica and the Maruti 800 are the only two launches that rocked the entire industry up.

My best friend owns an Indica too, and his views would more or less match yours. And thats after covering 60000 kms! I find it surprising that your car did only like 15 K in so much time, the Indica being a favorite with high mileage families.

But what truly takes the cake is that your Indica had only one fault in 15000/2 years of ownership. Hats off to Tata...really. The fit and finish isnt up there with the Japs, but the simplistic design makes sure that garage visits are not that frequent.

GTO
Old 6th August 2004, 00:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 05 2004,23:19)]The fit and finish isnt up there with the Japs, but the simplistic design makes sure that garage visits are not that frequent.
U bet dude...
Even after 4-5 months of me selling my Indica V2..i cant forget that car man!!. I was so emotionally attached to it. I used to call it "Tempo" lovingly. Infact.. I still remember that power I used to utilize to turn my Indica.!! It was FUN!!!
Old 6th August 2004, 01:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ].. I still remember that power I used to utilize to turn my Indica.!!
That means you did have power steering with all the power you put into turning it..

Dippy
Old 1st October 2004, 19:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The car is ok without the A/C but once you switch it on, the sluggishness comes into the picture, which is deeply felt while launching the car from a signal.
Hello guyz....me too own an Indica (DLS)....no problems other than the above....nice car n economical too....

cheers
aNu

Old 1st October 2004, 22:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice one there Stratos.Its nice to see a few people who enjoy this car.
X
Old 1st October 2004, 23:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (X-Machine @ Oct. 01 2004,20:47)]Nice one there Stratos.Its nice to see a few people who enjoy this car..
You Said it Dude!! Currently i am enjoying its big sister, Indigo LS!
Old 1st October 2004, 23:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

nice review.
when on long drive with 4 people on board ,the travelling costs per person converts is similar to a bike.
a mumbai shirdi drive wud cost abt 800rs in an indica while it wud cost me 1500rs in my zen.
Old 2nd October 2004, 00:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (speedsatya @ Oct. 01 2004,22:25)]when on long drive with people on board ,the travelling costs per person converts is similar to *a bike.
a mumbai shirdi drive wud cost abt 800rs in an indica while it wud cost me 1500rs in my zen.
Well thats there.. but not to forget that it can seat a total 5 people including the driver in true comfort and not a cramped one!
Old 2nd October 2004, 01:16   #12

i had one DLE model 2000. drove for about 40K and sold it last year. a very good car except for small problems like leakage of rain water in front door. Clutch lever broke suddenly in middle of highway. luckily Autozone(Tata Authoirsed service in coimbatore) sent their pickup service and towed the car. rear shock absorbers were changed immediatly after purchase.( TAFE, the dealer who sold the vehicle, refused to acknowledge shock absorber sound). otherwise evrything was okay. tyres OEM lasted for 40000km ( till i sold). real problem is headlights. gives ellipitical beam. so light goes everywhere except the road Its impossible to drive safely in night.

Old 2nd October 2004, 16:39   #13
BHPian

NO wonder Indica sells only 200 units less than the M800
Old 2nd October 2004, 23:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Oct. 01 2004,22:30)]Well thats there.. but not to forget that it can seat a total 5 people including the driver in true comfort and not a cramped one!
True.Had a chance to travel Bombay-Pune recently wen it was an urgency during the rains.(I usually dunt take up the Expressway route in my car during monsoons.)
It was a comfortable ride all the way.With 5 people in the car.
While comin back i took the Zen,with no other car available,and trust me it was one of the worst rides so far.
No place to move the feet either.
X
Old 3rd October 2004, 01:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

the only problem u face when stepping into an indica from a maruti or hyundai car is that u confuse the clutch pedal for the brake.its sooo hard. .if u can bear with it and the sluggish pick up,then its the indica diesel .only for its FE.

satya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks