Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 23:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Good Report! is there a second dealer in Bangalore now or is it only Whitefield Honda.
Old 7th March 2006, 00:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well Ajmat I have been reading your thread for some time now and have to admit being a fellow VTEC owner, addict and lunatic I can identify with most of your problems!

But the reason I am writing is that as I type this my car is being repainted and is having her front suspension done up along with a louder exhaust! It is being painted in a custom colour and some mods with the ECU are also being tried to see if we can get some more POWER! Which we all know is our favourite drug!

But soon I should be able to post some nice before and after pics and also a really thorough Long Term Experience since I think mine is the highest mileage VTEC here with me having put on more than 90,000 kms. on her in just over 2 years! So expect a nice detailed report with some nice pics soon.

Till then take care and have fun ripping the VTEC!
Old 7th March 2006, 01:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it's mojo has been restored
Yeah,baby.Yeah

Quote:
the noise it makes when accelerating is ...oh boy
U bet. I was listening to ur engine's snarl at the main straight at the circuit and it was really nice.
Old 7th March 2006, 02:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
some mods with the ECU are also being tried to see if we can get some more POWER
Hey, who's doing the ECU work? And NHC or OHC?
Old 8th March 2006, 13:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

When can i expect new 195 Eagle F1s or Yokos on ur vtec,ajmat??
Old 11th September 2006, 09:09   #81
Team-BHP Support

Update - 45000km

With synthetic oil inside, have not bothered to give it for a service as it does not need one.

Suspension was getting floppy and was looking and getting some good shockers only to find that there is no straight equivalent for the City...even in Thailand. However Psycho and Rudy had some other ideas

"Just try Monish's Baleno (mem45.....)" Monish and v!p3r popped over and gave me a demo - I was impressed.

Was way in Penang when Psycho took the car and worked his magic - rear strut brace, rebushed suspension, refilled shockers - believe me there is more devil in the details. Car wascompleted and given to ole Rudy While in Singapore, I was getting sms's from Rudy who was raving about it.

Returned and oh boy, it was different, it can slalom well and the axle tramp has disappeared. The wife also commented on how much smoother it was. Suspensio is slighly raised - actually an advantage on Bangalore's roads. Reminds me rather of Peter Crouch - slightly ungainly but capable

"I suggest you change your rubber also" was Psycho's passing comment - so it was bye to Rudy's old tyres and on came a pair of Yoko 195 ES100. In my case, the bigger the tyres, the easier the steering (softer rubber). Car was transformed, now for the track.

Managed to take it on track - boy, it was a different beast. It went hard into the corners (btw it had worn Michelin certis on the front for the track) and stayed on course, I never spun off. Only limitation were the brakes, I was not able to gauge the biting point so was braking too early. If I braked hard on C1, car got rather upset. Had the track to myself from 6.30am to 7.30am. Took the car on the long loop which was tricky in terms of curves and pretty rough. Car was composed but, the michelins were shot after 10 laps (5 on long loop, 5 on short loop). Slapped the yoko's back on and pushed the car hard - it really tracked well and rear never broke away. Steering was really accurate.

After a hard 250 km on the track, it was time to hit the highway home. The car felt better going back after a mega workout than on the way in!!!

Last edited by ajmat : 11th September 2006 at 09:12.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:34   #82
BHPian

Looking better day by day....so when is the next Bangalore meet
Old 24th December 2006, 18:59   #83
Team-BHP Support

47000 km - whoops

Car back from service. Heartstopping bill - Rs 1069 + Rs 3000 for the synthetic oil which I supplied.

Had a slight mishap in Oct when someone left a tractor trailer in the middle of the road at night and I scraped the pavement avoiding it. Resulted in a bent suspension. a bent wing and damaged wheels. If only I had ABS......

Car took two months to repair due to sheer queuse of honda's awaiting repair. I counted 30 awaiting estimation, 60 invarious stages of repair. i was told that some cars that went in before mine were still not out when i collected mine.

Chronology as follows:

14 Oct : Am - Crash PM - all paperwork completed from my side

16 Oct - assessment not completed as promised. Inspection not done as they could not find car??!!!!!

17th Oct - inspection begins in my presence

24th Oct - Call from middle of Thar desert - "Parts on order saar, car will be ready around 3rd!"

2nd NOv - Return to Bangalore - Go to see what's happening - car on hoist - partial supply of parts so we cannot start work. Get to see extent of damage

7 Nov - Another visit - car still on hoist - no progress. Talk to someone else who says that insurance guys wanted another inspection

10 Nov - Hallelujah- work has started - there is a tag number on the car and lower suspension arms are fitted. As it is a mechanical job, some bits need to go to main workshop for press fitting. Car should be assembled for a test drive by Tuesday. Wednesday will be the final inspection by insurance.

13 Nov - Car on hoist - assembled except for bumper. Repair manager tells me that with the new bits on, they find minor alignment issues. Car needs to be dismantled for the jig - another 3 day delay

17th Nov - alignment corrected - centre rail changed - car being assembled

22nd Nov - Repair completed - car a bloody mess -awaiting wheels. surveyor coming to inspect car as soon as wheels arrive

24th - wheels arrive (a scratched set came and went) - surveyor does not show up. Car is moved on its own steam to main workshop for alignment

25th - surveyor inspects car - now car is held up until insurance co sends a letter on what it will pay. Have to wait till weekend is over.

27th: Car still not released. Whitefield Honda billed the insurer for six wheels and a whole lot more so were asked to revise the bill. The supervisor overseeing my car personally went to the main workshop and made sure the corrections were sorted out.

28th: Waiting for clearance from workshop who is waiting for clearance from the insurer who is waiting for a report from the surveyor who is waiting for clarifications from the workshop which closes at 6pm

29th - insurer awaiting final surveyor report still

30th - sorted out - but honda not recieved the insurer letter. Insurer says it was sent and sends me a copy. I go to pick up car. Finally collect car

She's back - panel fit is really good, car is a bit of a mess, dust wise.Tracks straight but front is a bit soft since it has stock components and bushes.

Had to pay 33% of the cost - wheels are a rip off Rs 13000 each. Almost entire front suspension has been changed. Needs to go back to Psycho for stiffening.

Repaired to as new but the time taken........
Old 24th December 2006, 20:06   #84
Team-BHP Support

Hey ajmat,

Rs.1069 i didnt understand? 33% you had to pay that still doesnt make sense???

Man honda have a big turnaround time. I got my lancer back in a week. The main delay was for the skirting which has to come on order from HM chennai.

The other slightly bigger accidents i have had have never taken more than 2 weeks max.

I am currently researching on the Civic and this helped to knowHondas service capability.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hey ajmat,

Rs.1069 i didnt understand? 33% you had to pay that still doesnt make sense???
This was for the service.

Another quick update. Car handling was sloppy with the stock front suspension and stiff rear. Was even wondering whether to cash my chips on this one. Old Man advised don't stuff it, stiff it and see

It went to Psycho during mid Jan for a redo. Came out transformed. Went to near Maddur during the weekend. The car belted and outpaced the convoy - Scorpio and NHC Vtec by a mile. Handling was superb. Folks in the back were comfortable. One of my wife's friend's who loves the car wanted to drive it back home and came out raving. The car has suddenly become more silent - can't figure out why whether it was the second round of Mobil 1.

Suspension took village roads in its stride.

On the return journey, I took over the NHC Vtec - nice interior but ....it left me cold. It is fast but not furious, it cruises well at 120. Steering has a lag, you feel the odd millisec when you give an input and wait for the output. Felt like a car one drives on, not drives in.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
On the return journey, I took over the NHC Vtec - nice interior but ....it left me cold. It is fast but not furious, it cruises well at 120. Steering has a lag, you feel the odd millisec when you give an input and wait for the output. Felt like a car one drives on, not drives in.
what did you think of the steering ratio. I drove one and thought the steering was super quick, great for chucking around at low speeds but almost nervous at high speed.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:26   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Coincidentally my Vtec has just completed 48,000 kms too. Except for the outside which is in a mess, the car is mechanically perfect. Engine is as good as ever on a regular diet of Mobil1.

However, with the Indigos arrival the Vtec has absolutely no driving. It recently spent 15 days without being started....so I started taking it to work to get some miles on her.

Except for a faulty fuel pump, not a single part has been replaced in my car. Hope to send it for a revamp in the near future.
Old 31st January 2007, 13:39   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
On the return journey, I took over the NHC Vtec -
Finally you got to drive the NHC Vtec. I'm happy for you

Last edited by theMAG : 31st January 2007 at 13:40.
Old 26th February 2007, 11:39   #89
Team-BHP Support

"Header"ing onto the fast lane

Thursday night

5 SMS's from Psycho at 11.30 - are you awake? - well I was not!

Friday morning

Get a call - got these Greddy headers - come and take a look

Sat morning

Show up at the worshop. Psycho shows me the article, the finish and the design was impeccable so I give the go ahead

"will take 45 min ? " - ahem, it took 4.5 hours as Vasu and Psycho were perfectionists and ensured that the fit was perfect and exact. Start the car up, sounds the same except for a menacing hiss when one revs the engine.

Psycho twiddle with the timing and does what is known as the "Islero" test to check the torque. Oh boy! the tyres really smoke, no vtec does this.

Vasu takes the car for a short spin. Comes back smilling. Psycho takes the wheel and I run shotgun - as if there is a firm hand in my back . Last time I felt this was in a V12 Jag. The car really pulls hard. Interesting. Roads were too crowded to extend it.

Go home via Rudy's. He has a go - "feels like the Optra now" Evening - go with full family for a function. At a traffic light, a smug guy in a modded Zen sneers at me. I calmly accelerate and leave him speechless.

Sunday - go for a run with an old uncle (away from Bangalore for 22 years ) to show him ITPL and E-city. He was awed by the development. I was awed by how easy the car was to drive. One guy tried tailgating on Hosur road, I slammed the car in 2nd and the torque woke hem up from their snooze.

Monday - Leave early and take the car on the Outer Ring Road, but top end needs improvement since rear end is still stock. When down shifting, it makes a "sonic" boom.

Hoo boy - now for some improved natural breathing and some proctological application to the exhaust

Old 26th February 2007, 12:28   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boy, you really appear to be consistently improving the performance of your Vtec. All the better since you do it in a phased manner and gauging individual mods along the way.....which is better than just dumping all ricerboy mods in one shot.

Great to hear about the enhancement from the headers. Keep us updated on the fine-tuning experience.

Most Viewed