Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2004, 19:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Nov. 04 2004,14:55)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Nov. 03 2004,09:34)]so your hands wander in the dark. Never drive this car for the first time on your first date !
Gee. Thank god I was next to you that night!!
Luckily we've "dated" before and you know that I'm not that kind of guy !!!!
Old 5th November 2004, 16:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Here's a thought. Instead of GM launching this model in India, Maruti Suzuki should have used this car to replace the Baleno. Maruti's after sales support would have helped putting this car ahead of Carolla in sales charts.

BTW Chevy optra is called Suzuki Forenza in USA.
Old 5th November 2004, 17:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

it wouldnt have sold at all satish
rmember baleno a few years back was price simliar to the optra 1.8,who bought it?no one
imo maruti is not associated with a premium tag feel
Old 5th November 2004, 18:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

This has looks and quality that a premium buyer wants and Baleno doesn't have them.

Anyway that was just a thought. In India I believe GM has no interests in Maruti.

Old 11th January 2005, 14:42   #50
Team-BHP Support

Well, I finally got to drive the Bling machine late Sunday night.

First thing I noticed when i reached for the handbrake was that there was none! Nope, wait a minute, there it was...on the other side of the center console. Great if this was a left hand drive vehicle!

The engine. Its smooth, silent and reasonably swift. However, it had those typical Holden charicteristics i.e. slow revving, not much power low down, but decent amount of torque midway, useful in everyday driving I would imagine.

The gearbox had some wide throws, especially the 2nd to 3rd shift, but was not clunky as I thought it would be. Smooth, but lethargic is how I would classify it. But these are things you automatically acclimatise yourself to after a few minutes in the car.

The new tyres were awesome. To me, the ride was perfect. Not harsh at all at low or high speeds and compliment the very capable suspension well. The Corolla does not have a patch on the Optra in ride quality. I took a few corners at a fairly decent clip(yet restrained as I could sense Rudra flinching ) and not a sound from the tyres. They look terrific on those 15" multispokes too.

Steering feel though was all but missing. Its just too antiseptic, too disconnected. Great for traffic and parking, but not what you want when the speeds rise. This i would have to say was my biggest dissapointment.

Now, for those interiors. They are simply great. The seats are really supportive, much better than the Octavia's. That sunroof adds to the open feeling of the car, however does cut in on headroom. The drivers' seat is height adjustable, but not the passenger's. A bit of cost cutting there.

The materials used are really good too, although that fake wood looks cheap. Rudra's speakers and boom box were terrific. Very pimp indeed...cruising down the strip with the 'box thumping away...I can see him now!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Optra is one heck of a car! No, its not a "driver's" car, but not everyone wants one either.

Rt

Last edited by Rtech : 11th January 2005 at 14:44.
Old 11th January 2005, 15:28   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Rudra's speakers and boom box were terrific. Very pimp indeed...cruising down the strip with the 'box thumping away...I can see him now!

rt
Rtech if you say my audio setup is pimp then I really don't know what are those loud thumping ones. I've tried to keep the overall sound quality as close as possible to my home setup.

System doesn't have that thump. In fact you cannot hear anything from outside. I don't want people to know what's cooking inside.
Anyway my music sense is bit wonky so less I share with outside, the better.
Old 11th January 2005, 15:35   #52
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rudra,

I'm sure if you turn your bass up, you'll get that thump! But yes, as I mentioned, I love the setup, both at your home (all rooms...lol) and in your car.

And I could grow to like some of that music too, so long as I'm sleep deprived...lol

Rt
Old 11th January 2005, 19:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

hmmmmm.....u guys forgot to call me back!!!!busy with rudra's cars r??
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:21   #54
Team-BHP Support

Drove the bling machine last week - it is as if Rudra poured his single malt + some spanish fly into the tank, the car is suddenly smoother and friskier!
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat, of late I'm driving out almost every Sunday..anywhere for 150km plus. Let's do it with again and along with your VTEC.
By the way, 7500km report coming up soon.
Old 12th January 2006, 22:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

rudra, I don't think you are very particular about your car's FE.
Anyway, just some info on the OPtra's FE for those planning to get it.
A guy in my apartment bought his Optra LS (1.6L) around the same time I got my Baleno.
We were comparing notes about the cars after a few months and when I mentioned an FE of 12 in city with A/s, he was like, is it for real ? He said he gets around 8 in city with a/c.
I was a little curious about the huge difference (since both are 1.6L) and did some investigation. Found that while the Baleno weighs in at 975 kgs, the Optra was a massive 1600Kg (50% more than the Baleno). No wonder it gives a measly FE of 8 (50% more for the Baleno).
Agreed that the weight would add to the safety and ride comfort.
But for those out there who are conscious about FE, this is not the car.
Old 12th January 2006, 22:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Baleno weighs in at 975 kgs, the Optra was a massive 1600Kg (50% more than the Baleno). No wonder it gives a measly FE of 8 (50% more for the Baleno).
Agreed that the weight would add to the safety and ride comfort.
But for those out there who are conscious about FE, this is not the car.
Optra weights between 1200 kgs and 1300 kgs depending on the model. 1600kgs is laden weight for the car.
Some people would sacrifice FE for stability and thats is wise.
Old 12th January 2006, 22:58   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Optra weights between 1200 kgs and 1300 kgs depending on the model. 1600kgs is laden weight for the car.
Some people would sacrifice FE for stability and thats is wise.
1250 kg (for 1.8 LT) to be precise. Traffic from my house to office doesn't allow me to go to 4th. Most of the time I'm well below 50 km speedo mark. What FE can I expect?

Long drive report is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tra-1-8-a.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th January 2006 at 23:01.
Old 12th January 2006, 23:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Rudra ji, to be honest, with the amount of torque your car generates, you can drive around all day in 5th gear!!!
Old 12th January 2006, 23:16   #60
Team-BHP Support

May be. But really not a healthy prescription for a car of that size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks