Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 00:28   #1591
Team-BHP Support

EGR service at 400 bucks ? WOW !!

I haven't heard anyone getting that done for less than 1200 (myself included)
Old 21st November 2010, 16:42   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulvinder singh View Post
After warming up the car fully-- Preferably after a decent drive:

Put the heater on fully- and see if the heating is deteriorated- and also a smell of fumes.

Look at the coolent temperature gauge- it should be settled just below absolutely horizontal. If it is at horizontal or above then there is enough oil in the coolent to start compromising the circuit

Keep monitoring the above: put the heater on from time to time
The heater in my Swift hasnt been heating since the last couple of months. In full heat position, slightly heated air comes out of the vents with blower position in 1 (AC switched on)). The temperature guage is slightly below horizontal position. The MASS guys checked the valve under the dashboard and said everthing is working fine. Should I be worried about these symptoms?
Old 21st November 2010, 22:42   #1593
BHPian

The heater mostly works with the AC switched off-- try that.

If you aren't having oil or coolent loss then nothing to worry about!!
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:21   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
EGR service at 400 bucks ? WOW !!

I haven't heard anyone getting that done for less than 1200 (myself included)
The service center owner is known to me :-) and he had anyways taken off the transmission, Battery, air filter so he didn't have much problem accessing the EGR.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:55   #1595
BANNED

hi all,

My swift is due for its 35k km service and few weeks back i had a problem with front left suspension.

when SA inspected he told that it was due to brake calipers which he taped with teflon tape and now its time to rectify it.

In the mean while 3days back my doggy was tied near my car and he scratched all over the bonnet with his nails.

Any idea how much will painting bonnet and repairing the caliper will cost.

Am also thinking of either upgrading my tyre to 185 from 175 or upgrade my brake pads to hawk or some other good ones for effective braking

please suggest
Old 24th November 2010, 10:45   #1596
Team-BHP Support

Bonnet repaint will cost 2-3k at a good paint shop. Calliper sound is sorted now right?

Tyre go with Yoko or Appolo Accelers, great vfm tyres.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:18   #1597
Team-BHP Support

Errr... 35k service ? Is the dealer asking you for this service ? Or is it because of the time ? 'Coz the service interval is either 30k or 40k
Old 24th November 2010, 11:43   #1598
BHPian

Mevtecs car

Very sad to hear about Mevtec's car--

These engines will go on for 5lakh kms before needing attention , but even a few meters without oil and its major damage!

I think- given that we are getting to hear about so many ddi's with oil/body-cooler problems, we need to find some way to get maruti to accept the issue and do a major recall--- I know the problem seems only with some- so far- 07/ early 08 cars, but it still surely warrants a total recall.
Old 24th November 2010, 14:09   #1599
BHPian

Posted on MEVTEC's thread- earlier

(Really sorry to hear this-

Seems like your engine overheated afterall !!-- It really takes only a few seconds of an overheated engine being driven for serious damage to occur.

Unfortunately-- this is the argument Maruti will use-- There is another case very similar to yours, somebody in Jamshedpur about a year and a half back, unfortunately I've lost the details- but he had posted on a Maruti complaints forum- perhaps its still there.

Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation when it comes to establishing fault- The defect that caused the loss of oil in the firs't place, or driving the car when there was no oil in the lube system.-- i.e which one is to blame for the damage that has occured.

The only thing I can think of is that if you can get hold of the oil- cooler and then get it independently tested. You then may be able to argue legally that the responsibility is Maruti.

Unfortunately-- I don't know about in India-- but certainly abroad (UK, US) this would still not be an acceptable legal argument. There are two test cases in the UK of a similar situation- one with Mercedes and one with Nissan----

In both cases brand new cars were handed over to owners and the dealer had neglected to fill the engines with oil. In the Mercedes case a new car was replaced-- because the owner noticed the oil warning light before he had driven out of the Showroom premises- i.e clearly- the court held that the car was driven by the dealership itself in this state- even though only a few meters from the stockyard to where the customer was waiting for delivery. In the Nissan case the owner didn't notice until the engine overheated. Legally he got nothing from Nissan-- but the whole thing was embarrassing enough for Nissan to replace his engine as a show of Goodwill.

This may be the only way forward i.e. To embarrass Maruti enough to make amends.)

How many more people are going end up with fairly new yet destroyed engines--- before Maruti accept their responsibility???
Old 24th November 2010, 23:14   #1600
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bonnet repaint will cost 2-3k at a good paint shop. Calliper sound is sorted now right?

Tyre go with Yoko or Appolo Accelers, great vfm tyres.
Thanks Jaggu,Caliper sound is temporarily sorted out ,i heard Yoko are soft tyres and dont last for long,is it so?

Quote:
Errr... 35k service ? Is the dealer asking you for this service ? Or is it because of the time ? 'Coz the service interval is either 30k or 40k
Ya Eddy, i give the car for service every 5k kms ,i dont know if its my mind set ,if feel the car is rejuvenated once it goes for a service.

Now i have two more questions

1. How long does JK last ? mine has touched 35k and guess it can do another 5k
2. for better braking should i go for a performance brake pads like hawk or any other if any or should i go for a wider tyres? ie 185/70/R14

Which will workout cheaper?
Old 25th November 2010, 11:16   #1601
Team-BHP Support

Ah ok, I just get the oil and filter changed every 5k instead of a complete service. My OE JKs lasted 53,000 kms. They still had about 5-8k life left in them but two of them got damaged so replaced 4 of them with Yoko A drives. Seeing their condition after about 35k of usage, its evident that they will not last for more than 40k.

I will try out Apollos this time around.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:16   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Ah ok, I just get the oil and filter changed every 5k instead of a complete service. My OE JKs lasted 53,000 kms. They still had about 5-8k life left in them but two of them got damaged so replaced 4 of them with Yoko A drives. Seeing their condition after about 35k of usage, its evident that they will not last for more than 40k.

Eddy: Do you change the oil yourself or at a MASS or at a normal mechanic's place? I too generally do the oil change at every 5K but thru MASS and they do a complete service. Want to move out bcos very frankly there generally are no issues at every 5K and I have to pay for the complete service as they don't just do a pure oil change.
I too am planning to get it done from outside but do we get the original MGP Oil Filter and its filter gasket from outside?
Old 25th November 2010, 12:20   #1603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Want to move out bcos very frankly there generally are no issues at every 5K and I have to pay for the complete service as they don't just do a pure oil change.
I too am planning to get it done from outside but do we get the original MGP Oil Filter and its filter gasket from outside?
I have gotten it done both from MASS as well as outside. MASS charges me 100 bucks labour + 375 for the filter + I carry my own oil. I specifically tell them - no service, no washing etc just a simple oil change. I have not had any issue with this.

Also, when getting it done outside there is an official Maruti Spares shop near my office in gurgon. Spares are available off the shelf. I get filter from there.

You can also try buying an extra spare filter during your regular service for the intermediate oil change and get it done from outside.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:32   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Yoko A drives do not wear out fast. there are enough experience on the A drive review thread to bear me out.
Performance brake pads would definitly cost more than replacing your tyres with wider rubber
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thanks Jaggu,Caliper sound is temporarily sorted out ,i heard Yoko are soft tyres and dont last for long,is it so?

Ya Eddy, i give the car for service every 5k kms ,i dont know if its my mind set ,if feel the car is rejuvenated once it goes for a service.

Now i have two more questions

1. How long does JK last ? mine has touched 35k and guess it can do another 5k
2. for better braking should i go for a performance brake pads like hawk or any other if any or should i go for a wider tyres? ie 185/70/R14

Which will workout cheaper?
Old 25th November 2010, 16:48   #1605
BANNED

Quote:

Eddy they dont change oil in 5k services,they just do the clean up and tuning ,i mean some 5 point check i guess and charge some 300 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Yoko A drives do not wear out fast. there are enough experience on the A drive review thread to bear me out.
Performance brake pads would definitly cost more than replacing your tyres with wider rubber
Thanks you, will enquire the prices for Yoko and Bridgestone and Apollo and go for the VFM one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks