Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 13:47   #226
Team-BHP Support

20,000 km Part 1

So the car has done 20,450kms today morning and is at service - RNS Yeshwanthpur. Running had come down in the last few months but overall apart from the rattles, all well.

Tried the System D once and though the engine felt lot smoother, missed the woosh of turbo kicking in mileage was almost same, in best case maybe a 1 kmpl better. So now on to clean up once in a while i will use the brew. Wont recommend it much from my side :(

Ok lets get back to service, had booked an appointment last week. Made sure i double checked if my fav service adviser will be available, which was confirmed back, believed her word and drove in at the suggested time of 9 am. And it had to happen again, Sachin is on another shift!

Spoke to the customer cell personal who were at the bay, and informed them that their coordination is pathetic. Meanwhile they started recommending other mech's, which i declined and called up Sachin. Thankfully he was on his way and asked me to wait for 15 mts. Car was given an appointment bay and waited, while atleast 4 people including 2 service adviser, a service manager and another 2 gals from customer cell asked me the same ol story.

"Which service, can we offer another service adviser". I was about to loose my kewl, when i saw the familiar smiling face of Sachin walking in. Phew!

10 mts, explained to him the job:

1) 20k kms - All oils, filters replace apart from routine jobs like brakes and all.
2) Engine oil flush - They have 3M product in RNS, and gave an ok for the same.
3) All door pad rattles fix.
4) Steering column weird rattle - This one am not sure they will fix, since its occasional and comes when steering is turned and tyres hit a rough patch. Nothing major but gives a feeling something is loose and moving around in the column.
5) Suspension re-torque - Thanks to my abuse.
6) Side indicators replace - Broke the clips on both sides and had used gum to keep em in place, this was mishap from polishing exercise.
7) Wiper blade replace - Again i do it every 6 months, thanks to parking in sun.
8) Brush touch up for scars on bumper.
9) Instruction for no stickering and no splashing water inside while washing the door sills (told them not to wash door sills).

Told him to take time and do a proper job, but i guess today is not a rush hour day, so was informed i can collect the car by evening. Should know by 3 pm. 4k INR estimate given.

Rest i will update in the evening, hope there are no surprises.

@geek: i somehow missed your posts earlier and didnt reply earlier.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:06   #227
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

1) 20k kms - All oils, filters replace apart from routine jobs like brakes and all.
2) Engine oil flush - They have 3M product in RNS, and gave an ok for the same.
3) All door pad rattles fix.
4) Steering column weird rattle - This one am not sure they will fix, since its occasional and comes when steering is turned and tyres hit a rough patch. Nothing major but gives a feeling something is loose and moving around in the column.
5) Suspension re-torque - Thanks to my abuse.
6) Side indicators replace - Broke the clips on both sides and had used gum to keep em in place, this was mishap from polishing exercise.
7) Wiper blade replace - Again i do it every 6 months, thanks to parking in sun.
8) Brush touch up for scars on bumper.
9) Instruction for no stickering and no splashing water inside while washing the door sills (told them not to wash door sills).

Told him to take time and do a proper job, but i guess today is not a rush hour day, so was informed i can collect the car by evening. Should know by 3 pm. 4k INR estimate given.

Rest i will update in the evening, hope there are no surprises.

@geek: i somehow missed your posts earlier and didnt reply earlier.
I got my 20K done yesterday @ Autoteam Maruti Service Masters. Loved it.
all fluids changed(oil, coolant, brake,gear)
fuel filter, oil filter changed.
air filter done for free at pete's
front suspension opened up for inspection, cleaned out, no damage! wow! thats a 1st for me, since we began buying marutis in the 1980s. I'm pretty merciless on rough roads, for a hatchback.
I've wrecked within 20k,the front suspension on every car I've driven, this was such a pleasant surprise.

so far no damage or scars on the bodywork, except a dent on the underside of the bumper(offroading)

steering column rattle- asked them to leave it alone. like jaggu said, I hear it once or twice a month when taking a turn over very rough patches.

forgot about the wiper blades

a long due underbody and interior cleaning(the 1st one in 20K)

asked them not to bother with the door rattles, even though they wanted to work on them.didnt think they were a problem.
Bill-Rs3462/-
I was there hanging around the entire time. the work was quick and finished on time. It looks like I dont have to take days off work to get my car serviced anymore(joys of being self employed), these guys were good.

@jaggu- i have one doubt.
normally the engine check light goes off after a few seconds of the key being turned to the "ON" position. this is when I crank the ignition and drive off.

since the service, the check engine light goes off only after the engine is running.should I be worried?

Old 6th August 2008, 15:27   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
since the service, the check engine light goes off only after the engine is running.should I be worried?
You have an error code registered, most probably the air flow sensor was disconnected and car started during service. Connect the scanner check if this is the error code, if so clear it and you will be back to normal
Old 6th August 2008, 15:34   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You have an error code registered, most probably the air flow sensor was disconnected and car started during service. Connect the scanner check if this is the error code, if so clear it and you will be back to normal
I am sure thats the issue. Same thing happened to me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...e-done-10.html

Post number 150

Edit: Jaggu, getting the fuel filter element changed ?

Last edited by Eddy : 6th August 2008 at 15:35.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:42   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5) Suspension re-torque
Hi Jaggu, could you please let me know what the MASS guys do in the suspension re-torque job? AFAIK, they tighten the springs (tighten may not be the correct terminology however).

What are the advantages and how much do they charge? My car is almost close to completing 60k KMS. Under what circumstances is this job required?
Old 6th August 2008, 15:59   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Jaggu, getting the fuel filter element changed ?
Yes as per schedule fuel filter element is being replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hi Jaggu, could you please let me know what the MASS guys do in the suspension re-torque job? AFAIK, they tighten the springs (tighten may not be the correct terminology however).
Tighten all bolts pertaining to suspension (springs, struts, shockies, lower arms, balance rod etc). Its done under regular major service with no additional charge, i mentioned it specific so that they dont miss it in a hurry.

Just called up, car is ready and final clean up under progress. So me leave in another 30 mts another 1 hour plus auto ride!
Old 6th August 2008, 16:06   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes as per schedule fuel filter element is being replaced.
Was asking because my service advisor, who is generaaly reliable, said there was no need to do it at 20k. 30k would be better since the car has mostly been driven on good roads.
Old 6th August 2008, 16:24   #233
rippergeo

Quote:
Now i remember! its true. The car was started with the sensor disconnected while the coolant was being topped up. how did you know? thanks jaggu!
Now for the 2nd question, how do I get the error code cleared? disconnect the battery for some time?

EDIT- I got charged for the suspension inspection and re torquing. should I kick up a fuss? I must admit, they did a thorough job, the stripped both the struts down to bits, cleaned and greased everything and put it back together again.

@Eddy-The fuel filter is best changed. it doesnt depend on the type of roads, it depends on the quality of the fuel used. my service advisor said that we could postpone changing the fuel filter, but I asked him to go ahead and change it

Last edited by rippergeo : 6th August 2008 at 16:28.

Old 6th August 2008, 19:48   #234

this may help you

I had the same rattling issue with the steering and after multiple visits the problem was persisting and they have decided to replase the entire steering column.As i expected the rattling persisted and then they had another check up of my vehicle and found out that the rattling is from loose steering dampers and tightened it and the sound was gone even though steering became a little tight which they said will loosen up in a month.
Another dicovery of mine is that rattlings are less if you put the ac blower in high speed for feww sec before starting the engine ,i dont know why?
it works for me may be due to some pressure change in cabin.
Old 7th August 2008, 02:13   #235
BHPian

"Engine oil flush"
Does Every Maruti After SS has it?Or one need to buy own it's own from market.I am about to go for 20k service too,Note down Jaggu's n Rippergeo checklist,any other point to be considered,I think this service will cost about 3.5k to 5k.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:19   #236
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee9 View Post
.As i expected the rattling persisted and then they had another check up of my vehicle and found out that the rattling is from loose steering dampers and tightened it and the sound was gone even though steering became a little tight which they said will loosen up in a month.
thanks for that! will get it done next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
"Engine oil flush"
Does Every Maruti After SS has it?Or one need to buy own it's own from market.I am about to go for 20k service too,Note down Jaggu's n Rippergeo checklist,any other point to be considered,I think this service will cost about 3.5k to 5k.
should not be more than 4k unless you need something major replaced, thats not in the regular schedule.
I have conflicting advice being given about the engine oil flush.
since i change the engine oil every 5000, i decided to give the flush a pass.

if one of you could tell me how to get that error code removed, that would be great. A discussion on error codes and the effect they have on performance would also be much appreciated.

Old 7th August 2008, 11:21   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Eddy-The fuel filter is best changed. it doesnt depend on the type of roads, it depends on the quality of the fuel used. my service advisor said that we could postpone changing the fuel filter, but I asked him to go ahead and change it
Yep. Exactly my thoughts and I did get it changed.
Old 8th August 2008, 21:11   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if one of you could tell me how to get that error code removed, that would be great. A discussion on error codes and the effect they have on performance would also be much appreciated.
Connect the scanner>check for error code>options>delete error code

In short if you or workshop has access to scanner, can be done in few secs. i faced the same issue and had to convince the moody electrician at RNS to clear it!

Quote:
EDIT- I got charged for the suspension inspection and re torquing. should I kick up a fuss? I must admit, they did a thorough job, the stripped both the struts down to bits, cleaned and greased everything and put it back together again.
I didnt dismantel the struts or anything, just plain ol re torquing, hence was free. What you did is strut overhaul and will be charged per strut.

More on my service experience later, with details of billing, lil tied up till sunday. I spend a lil bit more than usual (6250 Rs) but no regrets since the car has got back the woooooosh!!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th August 2008 at 21:15.
Old 9th August 2008, 05:58   #239
rippergeo

Quote:
Connect the scanner>check for error code>options>delete error code

In short if you or workshop has access to scanner, can be done in few secs. i faced the same issue and had to convince the moody electrician at RNS to clear it!
thanks for that.

Quote:
I didnt dismantel the struts or anything, just plain ol re torquing, hence was free. What you did is strut overhaul and will be charged per strut.

More on my service experience later, with details of billing, lil tied up till sunday. I spend a lil bit more than usual (6250 Rs) but no regrets since the car has got back the woooooosh!!!!
sorry to ask so many questions, but I get better answers here, on this thread, than at the service centre.
where had the whoooosh gone? and what was the problem?

Old 9th August 2008, 08:26   #240
Senior - BHPian

Oh, he left the whoosh with Sachin last time around when he went for service and forgot to take it back. This time he made sure Sachin gave back the whoosh after service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks