Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 22:05   #241
Team-BHP Support

20,000 km service details

And at 3pm i gave a call Sachin informs me that car is ready, requested him to keep the bill ready since i had to rush back to ol mans bday surprise

Reached at 5 pm and car is standing at the portico, call up Sachin and he comes and hands over the key and asks me to take a road test. Take her out and head out into Yeshwanthpur main road, unfortunately its recently relaid and silky smooth surface, so no luck with checking rattles.

Oh when i switched ON the key, the engine check light was not switching off (after the usual delay) so error codes! Anyways took the car out and WOW i could feel that car indeed has got its taut feel back (a simple suspension and steering parts tightening does wonders). Obviously the mech has done some door setting also, so no obvious rattles. Though he goofed up with rear LT door, its creaking (didnt bother since thats something i can get fixed anytime).

Biggest difference was the way she was pulling, all the filter changes seemed to have really helped. a) she was silky smooth and was revving free (read as rpm dancing at slightest provocation) b) the pull in turbo band was back!! hence the woooosshhhhhh! I suspect air filter clogging to be the culprit since the soot at exhaust pipe end had gone up by a tiny bit (last 1000 km or so).

Oh yeah even the steering column rattle has been tended to an extent after the damper tightening, though i could sense that mech didnt tighten it too much, to avoid the steering from becoming too tight (good move), its worked out well.

Brake work was excellent, bite was crisp and pedal travel and hand brake play had come down, a good job on this front also. Washing and cleaning was just about ok as usual and left oil smudge on the windshield, which Sachin offered to clean up, which i declined due to lack of time. Anyways i will be doing a thorough in-out clean up job this weekend.

So we drove back and Sachin calls up the electrician, ok this is one guy whom i have interacted previously while figuring out the fuse blow ups. One word to describe him "Temperamental" and "PMS" would be an understatement. Sachin virtually has to beg and plead on phone and finally take the car down and coax him, to just connect the scanner and erase the error code! I wish i could pick up one scanner!

I move to billing while the error codes are attended to and hand over the MUL credit card, i had some major points which i thought can redeem against the expense incurred. Sadly the card reader/bank network had other ideas in mind and wouldnt budge. Didnt bother too much since i was in a hurry to get back and paid up fully, and before anyone jumps into a conclusion its bloody expensive please go through the bill in detail. I had replaced some parts which are not really needed in regular 20,000 km service.

Bill split up:

Parts:

Air filter: 230
Exchange filter/Diesel filter: 842
Engine oil filter: 334
Oil drain plug: 57
Side turn lamp assembly * 2: 189
Wiper blade: 234 + 184 (Each side cost differs)
Brake fluid: 275
Coolant: 626
Engine oil flush (3M): 506
Engine oil (mobil delvac): 613
Windscreen wash fluid: 12
Gear oil: 689

Labor
Paid service: 750
Drum brake cleaning: 200
Battery: 20
Consumable check / replacement: 61

VAT: 600
Service tax: 124
Edu cess on service Tax: 4

Grand total: 6554 INR

So reduce approx 1200 for a regular 20,000 km bill from RNS. Please note that NO wheel rotation/balancing/alignment was done, i prefer to do it from outside on my own. In short am very happy with the mechanical service RNS has done, apart for that odd door squeak.

So now for some pics in following order:

1)Exchange filter/Diesel filter, its from Bosch and made in Spain. So once its made in India, prices should come down further.

2) Air filter

3) Side indicator and engine oil drain plug

4) 3M engine flush

A wheel alignment/balancing/rotation job this weekend + Clean up and when i get time that rear door setting.

Thats all the update for now and i LOVE the diesel turbo, for its woooooosssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!! The other day Mag was asking me "when is Pete's" and i replied "It can wait". Am very happy with the stock power delivery and in a city like Bangalore its just perfect. Yes it delivers 15-16 KMPL in stop-go peak city traffic with AC ON, and will update if i get better mileage after the service.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-dsc06826.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-dsc06827.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-dsc06828.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-dsc06829.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th August 2008 at 22:06.
Old 11th August 2008, 22:21   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Engine oil filter: 334
Darling, my Optra's oil filter is way cheaper. May be fake stuff..who knows. I paid 67.56/-

But look at your baby smiling now.

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-smile.jpg
Old 11th August 2008, 22:41   #243
Team-BHP Support

Yes love, finally the pics come out of the machine! Let me know when you finish processing, i need to burn some CD's.

Your Optra's filter is desi, my car is after videshi stuff (single malt only)
Old 11th August 2008, 23:02   #244
TOR
BHPian

Great info on the 20k service!!

Few queries

-could you throw more light on the MUL credit card
-why were the side indicators changed?
-how to make sure that the engine flush has been really used when the owner is not present in person.
-is Mobil delvac the routine oil used by the MASS?

thanks in advance
Old 11th August 2008, 23:21   #245
Team-BHP Support

Replied inline, hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Great info on the 20k service!!

Few queries

-could you throw more light on the MUL credit card

Got it when i bought the car, gives some cool deals at workshop and with maruti referrals to friends and family.

-why were the side indicators changed?

Broke em while polishing, the guys tried removing em to clear the muck around and in the process broke the clips. I had used some gum to keep it in place temporarily

-how to make sure that the engine flush has been really used when the owner is not present in person.

Get a trusty service center/mech/service adviser or stay with the car for the job

Yup, its MUL recommended and standard replacement brew for Swift Diesel

thanks in advance
Old 12th August 2008, 06:34   #246
rippergeo

Is that Delvac MX or Delvac 1?
Maruti service masters here, uses Super XBHP from mobil, but that is not a dedicated diesel oil.

Old 12th August 2008, 09:18   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

Is that Delvac MX or Delvac 1?
Maruti service masters here, uses Super XBHP from mobil, but that is not a dedicated diesel oil.
Yes you are right, Autoteam uses Super XBHP. They have used it for my 5K service. After that, when I went to Indus,Thevara for a wiring harness checkup call, while checking the engine oil level, they have mentioned that the engine oil used is of wrong grade. I cross checked with Autoteam and they confirmed that this can also be used and infact is more superior to the MUL recommended one. Somehow I felt that Indus guys want to prove their competitors wrong, and left it at that. But still, later I went to Indus,Kakanad only because we shifted near to their workshop.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:09   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Gear oil: 689
After Seeing Jaggu's post, I realized that I was charged only 350 Rs. for the gear oil change in my Swift LDi (this is a voluntary change and not a 20k kms change) and sensed that something went wrong in this process as the cost involved is very low in my case. Immediately I called up the Maruti service center and I was told that they have used 90EP gear oil, which is the "NORMAL" gear oil they use for all the Maruti vehicles.

Due to the gear box issues reported in Swift D, I am not prepared to take the risk of continued use of 90EP. I am going to change it to 75W90 grade. Please let me know if it is okay to just change the gear oil in this case, or I should do some flushing, etc.

SKB.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:24   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Due to the gear box issues reported in Swift D, I am not prepared to take the risk of continued use of 90EP. I am going to change it to 75W90 grade. Please let me know if it is okay to just change the gear oil in this case, or I should do some flushing, etc.

SKB.
Just do a complete drain and refill, no flushing required.

Drain plug off, filler plug off and wait for 5 mts, for oil to completely drain out, before you put back the drain plug and refill.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:28   #250
F50
Senior - BHPian

Nice insight Jaggu.

My Vdi has done 3000 kms, pics and my side of the story should be up in couple of days, hopefully.

One thing that I have noticed, last 500 kms there is one very funny noise has creeped up.
It happens only on cold starts, when I turn the steering, I can hear a continuous faint squeaky noise. I guess it goes away later or may I cant hear it because of the traffic conditions.

(The sound im talking about is like the one in 'The Dark Night' the Joker's soundtrack - Why So Serious? The music builds in the movie but in my car it remains on the first level only. Sorry but this was the best way I could relate it. lol)

Last edited by F50 : 12th August 2008 at 10:29.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:31   #251
Team-BHP Support

@F50: were you running in rain/muck? Maybe your car under body needs a good wash.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:32   #252
BANNED

Hi Jaggu,

I am facing problem in gear shifting in my swift VDI.If i put third gear sometimes it goes direct to 5th .This problem started this week.and its 8 month old.earlier i never faced such problems.Last week itself completed my 3rd free service.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:51   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

That is very odd, and sounds like the spring(s) that keep(s) the lever's normal neutral position in between 3rd and 4th may be sticking or failing
Old 13th August 2008, 11:06   #254
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@F50: were you running in rain/muck? Maybe your car under body needs a good wash.
Muck no but water yes. There were patches where 3-4+ inch of flooding.
Old 13th August 2008, 17:09   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
One thing that I have noticed, last 500 kms there is one very funny noise has creeped up.
It happens only on cold starts, when I turn the steering, I can hear a continuous faint squeaky noise. I guess it goes away later or may I cant hear it because of the traffic conditions.
My Wagon R had the same problem and it went off after they tightened the fan & AC belt. It is a 5 min job nothing to worry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks