Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 10:25   #271
Team-BHP Support

No eddy i dont have details of what he did, i can suggest something though. Try it out since its a DIY.

First see if air filter is clean, if ok proceed.

Switch off the car, floor the acc pedal couple of times (if there is some minor corrosion or dirt in contacts, it will get cleaned). Then start the car (ensure its warm) and then do high revs for few secs on low gears, basically hit the 4 to 4.5k rpm for few secs atleast.

Tell me once you do this, i had another friends who reported his car which had a similar issue, which was sorted out by doing this.

ps: Hope your diesel quality is aok.
Old 17th September 2008, 01:21   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Do any of you SWIFT diesel owners face the problem of putting the reverse gear. I at times face this problem and the gear won't simply shift to reverse. I have to try 2 to 3 times.

The car has run 2700 km and the first servicing is over
yes, my vdi crossed 4000km has the same problem in putting the reverse gear. i usually put the 1st gear and move forward and try the reverse it will get engaged.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:57   #273
BHPian

i also face the same problem at times.. press the clutch again and its fine..
other than this i feel the gearbox is real nice...just love revving her hard!!!
Old 18th September 2008, 15:39   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First see if air filter is clean, if ok proceed.
Can someone detail out the process for air filter assembly removal for Swift D. photographs would add tremendous value.
Old 26th September 2008, 21:28   #275
BHPian

I am new to Team BHP, seek some advice from BHPIANS.I had my first crash in my SWIFT VDI 2 weeks back on my way to Bangalore From Trichur, at Dharmapuri, at 6.30am when a milk man on his TVS just came on to the highway and i applied my breaks with all my might and the tyres got locked . . .and after a screeching halt from 120 after hitting a rock kinda thing that had formed due to dried tar on the side of the road, and the car just ran over it and front axle was on the rock. Lucky guy he escaped (lucky me), and my swift lying with right mud guard all damaged and scratched bumper by hitting the rock. I got all the denting and repainting done, that takes care of the cosmetic part of it. But since then i am not feeling that surge when the turbo activates (or the turbo never actuates, i don know) dont feel like the turbo is gettin actuated. But there is no visible damage. I checked the engine bay and got it looked by a mechanic but he says nothing is visible. I am worried, what might be the problem?
Old 27th September 2008, 00:11   #276
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
But since then i am not feeling that surge when the turbo activates (or the turbo never actuates, i don know) dont feel like the turbo is gettin actuated. But there is no visible damage. I checked the engine bay and got it looked by a mechanic but he says nothing is visible. I am worried, what might be the problem?
Has your mileage dropped? what rpm is the car running at in 5th gear when doing a 100kmph? if its between 2200-2400, the car is producing normal amounts of torque and bhp, means the turbo is working fine. just a theory. but it sounded right to me. experts may give better methods of finding out.

it would be difficult to damage the turbo with just an underbody hit. the intercooler maybe, because its low down on the right side.

how many kms has the car run? as the engine gets run in, the power delivery characteristics may change.
have you checked your air filter?

Old 27th September 2008, 00:42   #277
BHPian

the swift produces a really good turbo whine after 2.5K RPM ....and that's when the real power surge happens right ? what would be a good indicator just roll down the windows and listen.
Old 27th September 2008, 01:04   #278
Team-BHP Support

As rippergeo suggested check if you intercooler/pipes are intact. If your turbo is working you should get definite pull from 2k rpm to 3k which is really noticeable, and yes there will be slight whine (not very evident so cant count on it, esp in noisy environment).
Old 27th September 2008, 15:38   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Has your mileage dropped? what rpm is the car running at in 5th gear when doing a 100kmph? if its between 2200-2400, the car is producing normal amounts of torque and bhp, means the turbo is working fine. just a theory. but it sounded right to me. experts may give better methods of finding out.

it would be difficult to damage the turbo with just an underbody hit. the intercooler maybe, because its low down on the right side.

how many kms has the car run? as the engine gets run in, the power delivery characteristics may change.
have you checked your air filter?
Thanks Ripper, The mileage seems same, i got 22 kmpl with 100%AC on my return drive to kerala after the incident. I ll experiment your theory of 100@5th gear on my short trip to on monday morning. I went to the MASS MOTOWINGS today but the they were searching for the turbo here and there i felt it not safe to give it to them n returned back home. I dont want ignorant people learning new things from my car and especially to work on parts like turbo and intercooler. The car has run 23k and till this crash i used to enjoy flooring the pedal to get the turbo surge, but instantly after the crash i noticed this. I got the air filter changed after reaching bangalore as i could not change it at 20k service as MASS in trichur did not have stock of air filter.

Quote:
muneemmk the swift produces a really good turbo whine after 2.5K RPM ....and that's when the real power surge happens right ? what would be a good indicator just roll down the windows and listen.
thanks muneemmk, that whine seems to be heard slightly, though i have not notices it properly.

Quote:
Jaggu As rippergeo suggested check if you intercooler/pipes are intact. If your turbo is working you should get definite pull from 2k rpm to 3k which is really noticeable, and yes there will be slight whine (not very evident so cant count on it, esp in noisy environment).
Thanks jaggu, I ll try to get the intercooler checked as you said, but i am worried where to get this thing checked out. Cant find a reliable MASS in trichur. Had bad experience with Sitaram and Motowings. More over they dont allow me into the workshop with the car and i am scared to give it to ignorant hands.

Anybody know a good mechanic in and around Trichur where i can get this checked up?? It would be great help if somebody could share details with me.
Old 27th September 2008, 20:35   #280
BHPian

hey Jaggu, I read about the way Mr. Mohan pampered your SNOWHITE and loved it. Want to give a touch of his to my car too when i come to Bangalore. Does he offer his services near Hebbal ( am located there)? any idea? cos i tried callin up on the no. you have given but the land line is having some problem and when i call on the mobile he s not answering??
Old 28th September 2008, 14:50   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey Jaggu, I read about the way Mr. Mohan pampered your SNOWHITE and loved it. Want to give a touch of his to my car too when i come to Bangalore. Does he offer his services near Hebbal ( am located there)? any idea? cos i tried callin up on the no. you have given but the land line is having some problem and when i call on the mobile he s not answering??
They have separate teams for different areas of Bangalore, so it shouldn't be a problem. I also haven't contacted them for a while, so am not sure if the numbers are valid.
Old 28th September 2008, 20:04   #282
BHPian

Hey Jaggu, have i interrupted in your thread by changing topic to my car crash?? sorry pal, hope you don mind it. I am only a newbie and learning things at Team BHP. I ll start a new thread for that. Keep rocking with your SNOWWHITE pal.cheers:
Old 29th September 2008, 17:51   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Hi ripper, i checked the rpm on 5th gear at 100kmph and it is in around the range of 2200-2300, but the pick up is too slow, and very difficult for over taking. This was not the case earlier.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:56   #284
Team-BHP Support

@srikant: wild guess, check your engine oil level (ideally when cold), it has been earlier reported that over filling causes similar issues.
Old 29th September 2008, 21:12   #285
rippergeo

Quote:
Hi ripper, i checked the rpm on 5th gear at 100kmph and it is in around the range of 2200-2300, but the pick up is too slow, and very difficult for over taking. This was not the case earlier.
its odd. the rpm for that speed is spot on. mileage is normal. and you have not mentioned anything about smoke, so I assume that it is not smoking excessively. I'm lost.

actually,I had a similar feeling as I crossed 20k. the surge was missing.
when new, the car was dead, dead, dead, below 2000rpm, and when it touched 2000rpm, it would be like getting kicked forward by a giant.

I was quite worried initially. checked everything like you have.and got the same results that you have. except, I dont feel the car is slower than before.
the turbo lag seems to have dissappeared, and the boost is very linear now, turbo lag is not a problem anymore.it feels like a petrol car that picks up, faster and faster as the rpms climb, even upto 4500rpm, i have very useful acceleration.

I was really worried, till i did a 0-100 run when I visited the Tvm bhpians.
in soaking wet conditions, I still did a 13.8secs(best was 11.8 under ideal conditions few months ago)inspite of massive wheelspin in 1st gear. so I know its not the turbo any more, its just that the engine power delivery characteristics have changed. it feels like the palio MJD i test drove, really smooth and linear torque curve.

Maybe thats what's happened to you? the car will feel slower, but isnt, when you look at the numbers(your numbers so far, are all correct)
but i must say, overtaking ,has gotten easier than when the car was new, unlike for you.

The ideal situation would be to get it checked by an expert, and not listen to arm chair theorists like me

Last edited by rippergeo : 29th September 2008 at 21:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks