Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 12:19   #856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
Hi Jaggu,

I have a question on braking with the VDi - probably due to my inexperience with diesel cars!
========
Is this normal for torquey diesels? (I have a non-ABS VDi)

Thanks,
Amit.

P.S.: I am a big fan of this and the other long term VDi threads!
Normal only Amit, see the engine has a heavy torque and it will try to pull the tranny even close to idle and ECU also jumps in with inputs to increase the fuelling, so best is to depress clutch when the lug starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Please answer the below queries.

1. I feel there is a lack of turbo whoosh or the acceleration is quite linear. I mean i feel it sometimes only and not always when I hit 2k rpm (or is it my mind playing havoc?)

2. Which is a good service centre in south bangalore? My previous experience with mandovi on Bannerghatta road was OK.

Appreciate your inputs.
1) Run in the car further, this engine will take close to 10k kms to completely free in. It depends on the way you modulate the pedal and accelerate also, try holding the rpm at 1800 for few secs and go slightly aggressive with the accelerator, it should pull like a loco

2) Mandovi is supposed to be good, if you have a good relation with the SA's there stick to it. More than the dealer the relationship you have on the floor matters.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:33   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu0611 View Post
Hey Guys !!
All set to take the delivery of my car early next week!! Got a call from my dealer telling that he has arranged for it much earlier than the claimed wait period of 2 months (hope he stands up to this )
Vdi locking system is not exactly same as the Zxi. in Zxi, the boot door also unlocks with remote, this is not available in Vdi. I also believe the remote and model numbers are different(at least it was in 2007 June).
Old 15th October 2009, 16:15   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Normal only Amit, see the engine has a heavy torque and it will try to pull the tranny even close to idle and ECU also jumps in with inputs to increase the fuelling, so best is to depress clutch when the lug starts.

1) Run in the car further, this engine will take close to 10k kms to completely free in. It depends on the way you modulate the pedal and accelerate also, try holding the rpm at 1800 for few secs and go slightly aggressive with the accelerator, it should pull like a loco

2) Mandovi is supposed to be good, if you have a good relation with the SA's there stick to it. More than the dealer the relationship you have on the floor matters.
Jaggu - thanks for the inputs, will try point #1 and see how it behaves. Wish you could drive it and check out, nothing to beat experts hands on opinion
Old 15th October 2009, 17:04   #859
BHPian

I have some queries -

1. Is it necessary to go for a under body coat as early with the delivery of the
car?
2. I have booked the Silky Silver VDi. Should I go in for teflon coating? I think it depends on the color of the car. Lighter colors don't require it as much as dark colors do? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:18   #860
Team-BHP Support

1) Good idea though it lasts for 3-5 years. If you keep the underbody clean you can avoid this for first 3 years and then apply it then, when the actual rust issues can show up. But yes definitely recommended for underbody.

2) Search for teflon treatment, it has mixed feedback. I prefer a coat of wax every 3 months instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Jaggu - thanks for the inputs, will try point #1 and see how it behaves. Wish you could drive it and check out, nothing to beat experts hands on opinion
LOL i aint an expert, i can only share my experience and compare with my car even if i drive. See if you can find a friend with DDIS and try driving his car

Which part of BLR are you from?

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th October 2009 at 17:20.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:24   #861
BHPian

Quote:
LOL i aint an expert, i can only share my experience and compare with my car even if i drive. See if you can find a friend with DDIS and try driving his car

Which part of BLR are you from?
Am near JP nagar 6th phase and do up n down to electronics city.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:26   #862
BHPian

Had a terrible day with my swift DDiS VDI, done 53000 KMS, yesterday. Had been to Kodaikanal with family, and i was stuck in a very very steep slope in the Guest house there. The car just refused to pull up the steep, whereas an omni and Alto pulled up easily on the same one. At last i made it by moving little by little up the slope.

I applied the breaks and pressed the throttle high and then released the clutch half and simultaneously released the break. But still felt like car lost all its power all of a sudden.

Guys i need inputs on what might be the matter, more over just after this when i came out, there was burnt smell from inside the bonnet. And after this for a while, the car was not even pulling on small slopes. So put my car aside and went around in a taxi.

By evening it was fine and drove back to Trichur without any problem.

These are my doubts.

1. Did i lose power cos of a improper fuel supply ?? (car is due for fuel filter change). Or is there any other problem?

2. Did i damage the clutch in this process?? was the burnt smell from the clutch?
Old 16th October 2009, 16:36   #863
Team-BHP Support

Simple you were trying to pull the car out of its power band, i had faced a similar situation on my way back from kannur, while on the climb to boys town. Bus in front stopped to get the people down, so that it could climb and i was stuck helpless behind it, with 4 people and full load of luggage.

Slot into 1st gear and woomp! and i stalled. Cranked her again and this time dumped the clutch after raising the rpm lil bit high, drag launch kinda. Initially i thought it would not work, but presto once the clutch could handle the power, she just took off wheel spinning.

But this is not the right method, ideally find a lower incline and gather the momentum and use the right gear, so that rpm is above 2000 to climb. Trust me you will see tire marks all over the place

Yes you have burned your clutch a lil. Lesson learned for you and me, dont try to make the engine pull heavy inclines if its not in proper power band

ps: i dont think its anything to do with fuel or things like that, but yes you can check the filters just to be sure
Old 17th October 2009, 08:21   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Simple you were trying to pull the car out of its power band, i had faced a similar situation on my way back from kannur, while on the climb to boys town. Bus in front stopped to get the people down, so that it could climb and i was stuck helpless behind it, with 4 people and full load of luggage.

Slot into 1st gear and woomp! and i stalled. Cranked her again and this time dumped the clutch after raising the rpm lil bit high, drag launch kinda. Initially i thought it would not work, but presto once the clutch could handle the power, she just took off wheel spinning.

But this is not the right method, ideally find a lower incline and gather the momentum and use the right gear, so that rpm is above 2000 to climb. Trust me you will see tire marks all over the place

Yes you have burned your clutch a lil. Lesson learned for you and me, dont try to make the engine pull heavy inclines if its not in proper power band

ps: i dont think its anything to do with fuel or things like that, but yes you can check the filters just to be sure
Thanks Jaggu, That sure is a lesson to learn. Will try that next time. BTW i am goin to my mechanic today to get the car checked and also change the fuel filter. The dumb MASS in Trichur does not have stock for Swift diesel filter. Atlast my mechanic at Bosch service center has found a right model fuel filter from Bosch. So will get it fit today.
Old 17th October 2009, 11:05   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Had a terrible day with my swift DDiS VDI, done 53000 KMS, yesterday. Had been to Kodaikanal with family, and i was stuck in a very very steep slope in the Guest house there. The car just refused to pull up the steep, whereas an omni and Alto pulled up easily on the same one. At last i made it by moving little by little up the slope.

I applied the breaks and pressed the throttle high and then released the clutch half and simultaneously released the break. But still felt like car lost all its power all of a sudden.
I am not sure you used the right technique - hand brakes help a lot to bring the engine into power band in such situations, but mention the problem to MASS and get the throttle pedal sensor checked. I faced this problem couple of time and was told that the problem was with the sensor.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:10   #866
BHPian

Guyssss.... All set to take the delivery of my silky silver VDi tomorrow.. I have gone through the pre-delivery inspection threads.. Any last minute tips guys
Old 18th October 2009, 21:28   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I am not sure you used the right technique - hand brakes help a lot to bring the engine into power band in such situations, but mention the problem to MASS and get the throttle pedal sensor checked. I faced this problem couple of time and was told that the problem was with the sensor.
Hmm . . will get it checked too . . Will update once i get the car checked by my mechanic. Had been to Kannur today with the car, and it seemed normal and as powerful as ever. However will get the car checked asap.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:11   #868
BHPian

First Service Update...!!

Guys - got my car serviced today at Mandovi, Bannerghatta road. No great experience to write about.

Before raising the job card had checked if they had Mobil Delvac MX and they did not have it. So went with the SA to the stores to confirm and then to the place where they store the oil in drums. They had castrol and Mobil super 1000 stored in a dingy place in drums. Refused it and told him will get the oil.

Called up Mr. Prasad and he suggested Ruby traders which is right across Mandovi. These guys are retailers and he had a 5 ltr can of Mobile Delvac MX which i bought for Rs. 1200.

Gave it to the SA and had specifically mentioned to fill 2.9 ltrs and Air filter cleaning without fail. Washing was ok.

Car does feel good after the service. Breaking seems to have improved definitely, I do not know how.

Total bill was Rs. 0.00
Old 20th October 2009, 19:47   #869
BHPian

DDIS - Top Speed 130 KMS!!

3 problems with my DDIS, run about 15k kms, stock wheels and tires.

1) Top speed does not cross 130 Kms?

2) I think..the turbo which should kick at around 2200 RPM..I do not feel it anymore..its linear. I do feel it in the 3 rd gear though.

3) When I brake hard, DRRRRRR... sound. Not happy with the braking!

Team - Need your help here pls.

Regards
Old 20th October 2009, 23:22   #870
BHPian

There is an audible difference in engine noise when the car is idling and with clutch depressed in idle.What could be the reason for this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks