Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 12:52   #1381
Team-BHP Support

I do oil change every 5000 kms, though its very safe to do it at 10,000kms. Since the oil change doesn't cost much i follow the shorter schedule.

In your case doing at 1000 kms will be a good idea since its a new engine. Then you can stick to 5k or 10k, whichever is convenient for you.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:11   #1382
Distinguished - BHPian

I asked for oil change and air filter change in addition to normal schedule at my last service. I only do 5,000km a year, so it is still service just once a year and every 5,000!
Old 1st August 2010, 14:47   #1383
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Did not want to open another thread for so many swift ownerships to thought to ask a query here itself.

I recently purchased a new Swift LDI (Azzure Grey) and so far i've done only 150 km's. Since its a LDI it does not comes with the Tachometer. I've driven only petrol cars through out and its my first Diesel car.
I've some queries related to gear ratios, hope that experts would give some answers.

1) What is ideal up-shift and down-shift for swift DDIS. I mean at what speeds should be change the gears?
Right now I am doing in this pattern:
Speed in km/hr Gear Shift
0-10 >>>>> 1st Gear
10-35 >>>>> 2nd Gear
35-50 >>>>> 3rd Gear
50-60 >>>>> 4th Gear
60+ >>>>> 5th Gear

While doing these upshifts I found that engine makes bit more noise and does not sounds that smooth. However, I've noticed if i upshift from say 4th gear to 5th at 70+ speed than it sounds smooth and no noises.

Since, this car does not have any Tachometer, I really do not know at what RPM's I am changing but with kind of shifts I mentioned I think I am hardly reaching even 2000RPM as I have not felt that so called turbo boost!!

It would be great help if you guys could suggest me what is ideal gears shift for good mileage and sound health of engine.
Also, would be great if you can mention at what RPM is the car normally when we shift in all those 5 gears.
What could be the speed achieved at 4th and 5th gear to reach the 2000 to 2200 RPM's?

Hope experts would give me some sound knowledge from their vast driving experience with DDIS

Last edited by sameer551 : 1st August 2010 at 14:52. Reason: typo
Old 1st August 2010, 17:03   #1384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
0-10 >>>>> 1st Gear
10-35 >>>>> 2nd Gear
35-50 >>>>> 3rd Gear
50-60 >>>>> 4th Gear
60+ >>>>> 5th Gear
There is no fixed formula: it will change according to incline and how hard you are accelerating, and the road circumstances.

Having said that, for a new car, I would probably be taking it easier. I'd be in 4th by 40 (in fact I am, normally, all other things being equal).

At least for the first 1.000 or 1500 kms, go easy on your car. Your engine will soon tell you if you changed up at too slow a speed, because it will labour --- it's hard to stall a diesel Swift, although it can be done.

Try changing at much lower speeds, and just let your engine tell you when it is too low.

The diesel Swift is not a noisy car: if you are hearing loud engine, that is another clue that you are overdoing it.

Be patient. Wait. When the engine is a bit more run in you can enjoy that turbo!
Old 1st August 2010, 18:20   #1385
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Try changing at much lower speeds, and just let your engine tell you when it is too low.
Don't know about diesels specifically, but I think that is exactly what you are not supposed to do to a new engine. You got to keep it comfortable at all times.

Quote:
The diesel Swift is not a noisy car: if you are hearing loud engine, that is another clue that you are overdoing it.
If you shift from a petrol or compare it to say Verna diesel, it's LOUD.
Old 1st August 2010, 18:30   #1386
Distinguished - BHPian

I didn't mean to suggest letting it labour, which is not so good for any engine, but not to over-rev. The manual specifically says not to drive slowly in high gear, but it also warns against full-throttle start. The advice, which is not much, is on p.99.

My idea: pretend you are chauffeuring an 80 year old --- for the first thousand km! Everything smooth and gentle.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:09   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
There is no fixed formula: it will change according to incline and how hard you are accelerating, and the road circumstances.

Having said that, for a new car, I would probably be taking it easier. I'd be in 4th by 40 (in fact I am, normally, all other things being equal).

At least for the first 1.000 or 1500 kms, go easy on your car. Your engine will soon tell you if you changed up at too slow a speed, because it will labour --- it's hard to stall a diesel Swift, although it can be done.

Be patient. Wait. When the engine is a bit more run in you can enjoy that turbo!
When I change gears at lower speeds, it does not sounds smooth and some grrrr kind of sounds come from the engine and it seems that its asking to rev bit more before changing.

Also, as you read it right in the manual it says don't ride at slow speeds on higher gears during run-in period.

There must be some pattern which you guys must be following to upshift and downshift while during run in and post run in. I understand its a diesel and got enough torque to pull car at any gear without much stalling but what's best combo for ideal run in and good mileage. More inputs please.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:13   #1388
Team-BHP Support

Sameer the speeds and gears you posted are aok.

Please keep in mind more that the rev's or the speed, its how you reach there that matters. So accelerate and decelerate in a relaxed fashion and nothing will happen to the engine, always ensure you warm the engine, before you start pushing the speeds you posted as upper limit.
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:29   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sameer the speeds and gears you posted are aok.

Please keep in mind more that the rev's or the speed, its how you reach there that matters. So accelerate and decelerate in a relaxed fashion and nothing will happen to the engine, always ensure you warm the engine, before you start pushing the speeds you posted as upper limit.
Thanks Jaggu, will take care of that. I am still looking for what are the RPM's in the DDIS at cruising speed of:

60km/hr in 4th gear

60km/hr in the 5th gear

80km/hr in 5th gear

VDI owners please provide the data for processing.
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:47   #1390
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Thanks Jaggu, will take care of that. I am still looking for what are the RPM's in the DDIS at cruising speed of:

60km/hr in 4th gear

60km/hr in the 5th gear

80km/hr in 5th gear

VDI owners please provide the data for processing.
Approx figures as i can recall from my Ritz Vdi

60 -4th - 1800
60 -5th - 1410
80 -5th - 1880
100 -5th - 2350
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:02   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Approx figures as i can recall from my Ritz Vdi

60 -4th - 1800
60 -5th - 1410
80 -5th - 1880
100 -5th - 2350
Thank you, it will give me some more idea with what RPM range I am in at those speeds. Got first scratch in 3 days of ownership, thanks to so great parking space in our gali.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:33   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got first scratch in 3 days of ownership
I got mine in four! Motor bike ran into the back and dented the bumper. The dents popped out to my satisfaction, so no problem. Since then, though, there have been quite a few more and one real crunch. The crunch has made me more careful!
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:52   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
I got mine in four! Motor bike ran into the back and dented the bumper. The dents popped out to my satisfaction, so no problem. Since then, though, there have been quite a few more and one real crunch. The crunch has made me more careful!
Its always feel sad to have such stuff with your new car. Now I am wondering whether there could be some touch up jobs which could match the exact shade of the car.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:07   #1394
Distinguished - BHPian

There would be in UK/Europe. There is a thread on this site about touch up paints that are available here.

The "touch-up" that Maruti did to my worst scratches could have been done by a blind five year old --- but, at least the metal is covered against rust.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:11   #1395

Hey Friends,

Can anyone guide me in making sure that my swift battery needs to be changed or not?....my swift VDI is now 2 yrs old and has done 42000kms.....i started facing one problem in which the immobilizer sign stays on even after starting the engine.....the dealer says the battery needs to be changed after every 2 yrs....is it true? or something else needs to be taken care of.....also guide me how much should be the ideal cost of an exide battery..for swift VDI?...thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks