Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 20:57   #2986
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

It was water body. Got it fixed today. Its been 1.5lacs on odo now, still going good!
Gill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 23:50   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there a preventive replacement of any part that I should do assuming my 2010 Swift diesel has done 85k kms.

I recently changed the brake pads and shoe (front & rear) including the master cylinder.

There is no problem as such except that when I rev the car hard in 2nd/3rd or 4th gear there's an increased noise from the engine on high rpms, something like about to snap if I continue to accelerate in the same gear, a metallic rumbling sort of sound.

I assume this car comes with a chain instead of timing belt, could it be because of that? Any preventive replacement of chain suggested? User Manual doesn't list any such thing .

I have read in this forum that the fiat mjd engines go for timing belt change ( especially fiat Palio or Puntos) around 60000 km. It should do good rather than harm to inspect and change the timing belt.
Old 21st September 2017, 10:37   #2988
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Any preventive replacement of chain suggested? User Manual doesn't list any such thing though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I have read in this forum that the fiat mjd engines go for timing belt change ( especially fiat Palio or Puntos) around 60000 km. It should do good rather than harm to inspect and change the timing belt.
Timing belt does not need to be changed on the national engine of India as far as i'm aware, it is there for life.

Fact: My Swift VDi has done 145k kms without a change.

Also, timing belt is a key component and letting someone monkey around with the chain without reason will surely be damaging.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 11:10   #2989
Team-BHP Support

My swift did 2.6 lakh kms without a belt change. It was on its third clutch and second set of suspension though.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 22:05   #2990

I own a 2012 model Swift ZDi. Can see lots of long term users in this thread, and hence a question...

My Swift has ODO at 61k, in 4.7 years.

I can hear some squeaky sound from front suspension when I drive over the humps. This is intermittent, and not always. Especially when I move over some hard humps like the Yellow-Black pre-moulded ones in many techpark internal roads, and when the car move down from the hump.

I had complained about this sound when I give it for servicing last 2-3 times. Once I went there just for this. They (Nexus, Bangalore) inspected the suspension but could not find anything wrong, last week.

The noise is difficult to notice when window glasses are down. It feels as if two metal parts are sliding touching each other.

One more feeling I am getting is like, after using the car for these 4+ years, the suspension plays fully, and finally reaching the limit, giving a small thud. Felt suspension was stiffer earlier. Do we need to readjust the suspensions after some time?
Old 16th February 2018, 11:17   #2991
BHPian

My 2008 Swift Diesel VDi, done ~147k Kms is facing a weird problem. When trying to start the car, it won't crank at random instances, the starter gives the 'kkrrrrrkk' sound and won't start, starts normally on the second self. Other times it cranks completely normally in the first crank.

Any clue to what the problem could be before I submit myself to the tender mercies of MASS?

Notes:
  • Car was serviced <1 month and <2k kms ago.
  • Battery was changed ~4 months ago.
  • Car's pick up etc is fine.
  • Car is on a flat surface and in neutral when cranking the engine.
  • Fuel is always >1/2 tank. Diesel filled from COCO pumps.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:48   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
My 2008 Swift Diesel VDi, done ~147k Kms is facing a weird problem. When trying to start the car, it won't crank at random instances, the starter gives the 'kkrrrrrkk' sound and won't start, starts normally on the second self. Other times it cranks completely normally in the first crank.

Any clue to what the problem could be before I submit myself to the tender mercies of MASS?
I think either the starter motor or the fuel pump is suspect.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 12:49   #2993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishadat View Post
I own a 2012 model Swift ZDi. Can see lots of long term users in this thread, and hence a question...
====
Do we need to readjust the suspensions after some time?
Do a check of all suspension bushes and service the front struts, maruti has strut service kit available.

Quote:
Most likely the starter solenoid OR the starter / flywheel itself missing a tooth. Usually its a simple job at mass.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 12:55   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I think either the starter motor or the fuel pump is suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Most likely the starter solenoid OR the starter / flywheel itself missing a tooth. Usually its a simple job at mass.
Thanks for the responses.
Given both replies, starter motor/solenoid seems a likely suspect. Will check it checked at MASS.

Any view on the cost of repairs/spares?
Old 16th February 2018, 12:57   #2995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any view on the cost of repairs/spares?
I got the starter motor changed at an FNG for my swift diesel.

INR 1000 all inclusive.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 12:16   #2996

I have been facing the issue of prominent noise from front passenger side even on road joints and loud "thak , thak " noise when on rough roads in my Maruti Swift VXi March 2006 model with 1.17 Lac on odometer.Also when we steer on parked car i can hear the "kat kat" sound. Mass told me that complete steering rack assembly (Priced at around 60-70K) needs to be replaced as in older swift there are no separate spares for steering rack assembly.My SA advised me to get it done from outside as they can make the part outside (or did i heard Bush) on Lathe and fix it at a much lesser price may be in 15 to 20 K. So need advice from the experts here. Please suggest if some one came across the same issue and is fix.

Sound is some what like shown in the below video but sound is much prominent than this.

pm25264 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 09:06   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
...weird problem... When trying to start the car, it won't crank at random instances
Quote:
The weird problem with random missed cranks had a even weirder cause, a rusted cowl panel!!

Apparently the cowl panel had the section right above the ECM was rusted through and was letting water seep into the ECM. The ECM was full of water and starting to get fungus.

Solution? 1) Clean the fungus and dry the circuit board and 2) replace cowl panel

While #1 was done at MASS, they quoted ~25k to replace the cowl panel. I balked at the price and said i'll think about it.

Went to FNG for #2, it cost all of 1000 INR at the FNG, 650 for cowl panel and 350 labor.

Haven't seen any missed cranks in the last 2 days. Will keep an eye out for other issues with the crank.

While the car is okay, I'm still shocked at the ease with which authorized service centers will take customers for a royal ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-img_4040.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-img_4039.jpg  

varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 10:52   #2998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While #1 was done at MASS, they quoted ~25k to replace the cowl panel. I balked at the price and said i'll think about it.

Went to FNG for #2, it cost all of 1000 INR at the FNG, 650 for cowl panel and 350 labor.

Haven't seen any missed cranks in the last 2 days. Will keep an eye out for other issues with the crank.

While the car is okay, I'm still shocked at the ease with which authorized service centers will take customers for a royal ride.
Ecu took in water They are supposed to be sealed! or did you mean the connectors were corroded? That can happen.

Also MASS would have quoted you price of the complete wiring harness and maybe even ECU

Anyways glad to know it is sorted and good info to have for other owners. Thanks for sharing.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:22   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
...ECU are supposed to be sealed! or did you mean the connectors were corroded?...
Per the advisor, the ECU box had water inside it. He had set it out to dry when I reached MASS. The box itself had signs of corrosion (The typical white marks and pitting), but the connectors and the circuit board looked clean.

He was suggesting to leave the car for cowl panel replacement. But I insisted that he refit the ECU and start the car. And that I will come back at a later date for fixing this.

Quote:
Also MASS would have quoted you price of the complete wiring harness and maybe even ECU
Per MASS the ~25k was for replacing the cowl panel and repairing damage to the firewall. The ECU was another 25k which he was using as an arm twisting tactic; spend 25k today or 50k tomorrow.

Thankfully I had enough sense to walk away.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 13:15   #3000
BHPian

My 2008 Swift Diesel VDi, done ~148k Kms faced some starting problem yesterday. The car was turned off after a brief 500m run, then on trying to start the car again after 10-15 min, the car wouldn't start.

After cranking for 5-10 min, the engine kicked into life throwing a lot of white smoke. The smoke stopped after 5 min and hasn't been seen since.

Checked the error codes at my FNG, one code shown in history was for injector blocked and latest for water in fuel filter.

The diesel filter was checked and drained, but there was no water. The FNG mechanic says there might be bad fuel or water in injector which has since burnt off.

His Recommendation:
  1. Add 0.5 lts of engine oil in full tank of diesel to 'clean the clogs'.
  2. Change timing chain.
  3. Check turbocharger for leakage/replacement.

Questions:
  1. Is adding engine oil to fuel tank a regular practice? Or is it better to add the diesel additives?
  2. Any suggestions for additives?
  3. Does Swift diesel need timing chain replacement?
  4. How often does turbo fail and any obvious signs?

Notes:
  • Car was serviced <1 month and <3k kms ago.
  • Battery was changed ~4 months ago.
  • Car's pick up etc is fine.
  • Car is on a flat surface and in neutral when cranking the engine.
  • Fuel is always >1/2 tank. Diesel filled from COCO pumps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks