Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 14:14   #391
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [6 years & 70,000 completed]

The throw/spread is bad but light seems to be brighter, but as Vidyut mentioned try better bulbs. And not many people know but that circular grooved thing is an adjuster, you can use them for adjusting the OE units throw. I have done this for my swift.

Hope you got the grills washed when you opened the bumper, makes a hell lot of difference for the AC.

Congratz on achieving the milestone in a trouble free car.
Old 21st May 2012, 17:20   #392
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, two of the TBHP mods mostly spoiled by their CRDi hatches (190Nm) got to drive a very different vehicle, a petrol SUV with a moderate engine (170Nm). Their first Suzuki car driving experience too.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:02   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday, two of the TBHP mods mostly spoiled by their CRDi hatches (190Nm) got to drive a very different vehicle, a petrol SUV with a moderate engine (170Nm). Their first Suzuki car driving experience too.
A totally different car to drive like none of the others I've driven. Very unforgiving as well.

Got into the driver's seat and the first thing Samurai told me was I would be at home since I drove a Ford with left hand oriented controls. It didn't seem right to be seeing a Suzuki badge on the steering but indicators on left. Got moving, approached the first intersection to take a left and promptly turned on the wipers.

Samurai gave me a stare and said, hey you drive a Ford then why? The car felt like a Jap Maruti Suzuki so natural habit is indicators on right.

The Vitara doesn't feel anything like a Jap. Everytime I said this doesn't feel like a Maruti, Samurai would correct me and say it's a Suzuki and not a Maruti. The steering feels heavy, the clutch feels heavy, the gears have a long throw and are heavy. The GV feels solid with a stiff suspension.

When you drive it you realise that the car is unforgiving. If your found in the wrong gear at the wrong speed you've had it. First gear requires a boot full of revs to get going. You cannot shift up to second immediately as second gear has a very strange vibration and judder at low speeds. You need to rev and gain speed before you can slot into second. None of the bangalore speed breakers can be taken slowly in second gear, you have to shift down to first. This makes it a very difficult SUV to drive in bumper to bumper to traffic since your effectively in first always. What's strange is after second, third and fourth have much better pulling power. You can potter in third but not in second. Second is pretty useless for city driving because of the massive shudder at low speeds.

Where the Vitara excels is on the open road. We took it on NICE corridor and it was cruising at 80-90kmph effortlessly. Thanks to the stiff suspension it doesn't roll and you don't have to slow down for curves. Fifth gear is very flexible and you don't have to downshift to fourth to overtake unless absolutely needed. The gear ratios seem short and it get fairly buzzy at triple digits.

Samurai's GV has done excess of 50K kms over the worst of Manipal roads and doesn't feel like it has taken so much abuse. Holding up very well.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 19:31   #394
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the nice review Viddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Samurai's GV has done excess of 50K kms over the worst of Manipal roads and doesn't feel like it has taken so much abuse. Holding up very well.
Manipal roads were bad only in the first two years of the car, it got much better after that. The primary bad roads I deal with are the various ghats between Manipal and Bangalore, which I travel twice a month.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:15   #395
Team-BHP Support

I also had a go at it and its a nice vehicle, i love the sturdy feel and the familiar controls (except the euro orientation), i was very comfortable with it. Gearing is nice for longer highway drives but i guess the final drive keeps the engine at boil at 100-120 kmph, which is very good for overtaking but bad for FE.

50k no way, vehicle definitely felt much younger. All it needed was a good service and clean up after Samurai's long highway trips.

@Sudev: if you are reading this, is the second gear mean (judder) in your vehicle also at low rpm's?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 15:50   #396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
50k no way, vehicle definitely felt much younger. All it needed was a good service and clean up after Samurai's long highway trips.
I finally gave it for service and oil change today, at 52,213kms. It has been 9000kms since the last service.

Since GV has crossed 50K and wet+cold season has began, I have decided to switch to Synthetic oil this time. Which synthetic oil, I am leaving that decision to the M.A.S.S workshop head, who is a friend.

Quote:
@Sudev: if you are reading this, is the second gear mean (judder) in your vehicle also at low rpm's?
I have asked them to have a look at that.

Also, I asked them to cleanup all the gum residue left by the DIY sunfilm removal.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:23   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which synthetic oil, I am leaving that decision to the M.A.S.S workshop head, who is a friend.
Go with Mobil 1. Most respectable and reliable stuff. Next would be Shell Helix series.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:29   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go with Mobil 1. Most respectable and reliable stuff. Next would be Shell Helix series.
Yeah, brand will be Mobil 1. But the grade will be decided by my friend there.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:08   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, brand will be Mobil 1. But the grade will be decided by my friend there.
Both the grade will be ok for GV, the upper limit is 40 & 50. 50 would be better for the hotter tropical climate.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:21   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both the grade will be ok for GV, the upper limit is 40 & 50. 50 would be better for the hotter tropical climate.
Next few months will be very wet and cold.
Old 7th June 2012, 21:39   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The judder is from the prop joints. If you let the RPM's too low these will judder. This is very common in Gypsy's but very less in GV
Old 7th June 2012, 21:42   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The judder is from the prop joints. If you let the RPM's too low these will judder. This is very common in Gypsy's but very less in GV
Yes but we noticed it was very prominent in second gear only. In 3rd gear we can upshift way early and still it doesn't judder but second is unforgivable. Shift a fraction early and it judders.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:30   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Mild judder in second gear is present even in Forester (Fact that both are AWDs must be something to do with it). Judder is felt when you go to a very low speed and try to accelerate back to higher RPMs.
Old 7th June 2012, 23:01   #404
BHPian

Quote:
I finally gave it for service and oil change today, at 52,213kms. It has been 9000kms since the last service…...
I just moved to B'Lore on Sunday and Vitara is here. Where do you recommend service (2011 AT Vitara). Mostly concerned about basic parts since I moved from Gurgaon where disc pads, filters etc are always available and car is delivered back same day.
Old 8th June 2012, 15:45   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes but we noticed it was very prominent in second gear only. In 3rd gear we can upshift way early and still it doesn't judder but second is unforgivable. Shift a fraction early and it judders.
You guys scared me enough that I asked this issue to be checked out. I have lived with it forever. So the head of their service test drove the GV for 7-8kms looking for the problem. He said the judder happens only when the rpm drops to 850. If the rpm is kept higher than 1000, it won't happen. This is the behavior of this car, and not a problem. The voltage at each injector was checked and found to be nominal, not sure how this matters, his explanation went over my head. He even tested the dealership GV for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Mild judder in second gear is present even in Forester (Fact that both are AWDs must be something to do with it). Judder is felt when you go to a very low speed and try to accelerate back to higher RPMs.
Yeah, I was told it is the normal behavior of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
I just moved to B'Lore on Sunday and Vitara is here. Where do you recommend service (2011 AT Vitara). Mostly concerned about basic parts since I moved from Gurgaon where disc pads, filters etc are always available and car is delivered back same day.
You could go to any Maruti workshop. I used to go to Mandovi long time back, but that was for Baleno. Ask Bangalore GV owners for suggestions. I service my GV in Udupi, so I am not aware of Bangalore centers.

Alright, got the GV back after two days of intense work. Had to pay 500 bucks to remove sunfilm on rear quarter glass and the residue gum on all the remaining glass doors.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-scan_doc0001.jpg

Also switched to synthetic oil for the first time, it is Mobil 1 0w40, considering the wet weather next few months. The engine sounds much smoother now. Even the gear oil has been changed since it has been 18,000kms since the last change.

They have detected a little leak in the rear right shocks. But can wait another 10,000Kms they say.

Overall, the GV feels much renewed after this service. Feels almost new.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed