Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2020, 12:57   #1501
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
We live in the "Agile" world. This is just the first iteration. It will have slats cut out for venting.
Thankfully, I am not part of the Agile cult, or live in that world. Iteration and re-factoring pre-date Agile, just like me.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th September 2020 at 13:00.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:24   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thankfully, I am not part of the Agile cult, or live in that world. Iteration and re-factoring pre-date Agile, just like me.
Pun very much intended . It was getting boring sitting at home in front a skype call and had to make a comment about it.

Back to the topic of the skid plate we identified following bugs

1. The place where the front and mid section plates meet, there is an overlap and it is causing vibration. The mid section (t-case) guard plate will be shortened.
2. The sump guard touches the cat con at one place. Need to either cut a hole/ punch it out
3. Need 1/2 inch PU bushings for all mounting points
4. Cut holes for venting purposes
adityasiera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 15:51   #1503
BHPian

Need some help and margdarshan:
Since my posting out of country early this year the GV is just sitting in the open parking. My neighbour was starting it up once a month and driving around for little errand. Last time the GV was started on 15th August and my neighbour reports she didn't start on 17th August.
I came back on 16th September and called amron, since the battery was from 2016, they recommended changing it. Brought amaron 95D26L 64AH. After installation the engine started at once as usual. I let it idle for 10mins and then tried moving the car as i normally do, but it stalled. Started again but again stalled. This happened thrice.
On fourth attempt the car just diidnt startup. 2 more attempts but no luck.

Is it some thing serious or i missed out any thing here.
Old 16th September 2020, 16:35   #1504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
Is it some thing serious or i missed out any thing here.
Obviously... GV requires a calibration every time the battery is disconnected.

Something like this.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:29   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Obviously... GV requires a calibration every time the battery is disconnected.

Something like this.
The car will start even if the TB calibration is out , only the revs are erratic . Could be a fuel pump issue , ask a mechanic to check if fuel is coming till the injector rail .

Last edited by wbd8779 : 16th September 2020 at 18:31.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:34   #1506
BHPian

Just a update on the Grand Vitara. In October my neighbour who had the keys attempted to start the car and it started as if nothing had happened. Immediately called up packer n movers, and the car is now in Nagpur and driven a 1000kms since.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2020 at 22:35. Reason: GV = Grand Vitara
Old 11th November 2020, 18:51   #1507
BHPian

Small update on my Vitara.

Replaced the water pump, idler pully, tensioner and the fan belt. The first three parts were preventive maintenance and the fan belt was making noise.
Ordered and replaced the rear suspension struts and springs (OE).

Front suspension struts and springs have been ordered.

Lesson learnt : Only order 5PK1650, maruti has random part numbers and they first got me the 5PK1545, which was too short.

Replaced the rear door hinges, and now the door stay put in their place. She is only 100 KMS away from 100k.

Next step is to fix the front windshield. It is out of stock in BLR and we have been waiting for the polisher to take a look at ours.

here are a few pics of the places she lets us go.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20201010_07423601.jpeg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_20201010_074946.jpg  

Last edited by adityasiera : 11th November 2020 at 18:59.
adityasiera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:58   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Can someone provide the part numbers for the suspension bush kit please? Thanks. 2.0AT 2007.
Old 6th February 2021, 20:24   #1509
Team-BHP Support

Ever since this post-lockdown repair, my Grand Vitara has picked up a strange problem.

Whenever I start after a 30 minutes break, it starts stalling and struggles to hold the idle rpm and then shuts down.

My wife actually calls it Covid19 symptom because it acts like it is having breathing problems while starting out. The accelerator has no effect at all. I have to quickly go into 1st gear and get it moving, through a series of jerks while praying it won't stall completely. If I manage to keep it moving for 100ft, it becomes normal and I can keep driving.

Initially throttle body was suspected and it underwent multiple throttle body calibration and even cleaning. But I don't think it is the throttle body, because it doesn't fit the pattern.

1) The problem does not occur when I do cold start in the morning. It starts fine and I can get going.
2) The problem does not occur when I do start after a brief stop.
3) The problem does not occur when I idle at traffic signals or toll booth.

The problem happens only after I have driven 10+ kms and if I stop the for more than 15 minutes. Then starting again will be a problem.

I am having this problem on and off since July, and I was never in danger of getting stranded even though I did many 400kms drives between Bangalore and Udupi. However, in my last trip I almost got stranded. I had stopped for coffee break, and I had to reverse to get out of the parking while doing the jerky maneuver. But I obviously couldn't keep going in reverse. Once I turned and tried to move forward, the car simply refused to give me enough time to start moving. I would crank and start the engine, but it would switch off within 1 second, before I could switch to 1st gear to let go the clutch. I must have started it like 50 times, and finally it stayed on for longer time and I could get it moving in jerks. After 100 meters it was able to achieve normal breathing and I could drive another 110kms to home without any issue.

After reaching home I kept it idling again, no problem. I switched off the restarted again, not problem.

A week later I cold started again, no problem.
Visited 2-3 places nearby without stopping for more than 10 minutes. No problem.

What is this strange behavior?

Soon I will be driving back to Udupi with family and this problem is really bothering me.
Old 6th February 2021, 20:39   #1510
BHPian

Get the Fuel pump opened , there is a strainer in the tank , which gets clogged , and when you have. the pump out check for fuel flow as well . I got a GV AT for a friend which had the same issue , the cleaning of the strainer fixed it .
wbd8779 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 08:51   #1511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Get the Fuel pump opened , there is a strainer in the tank...
Hmm, you could be right. This problem started happening after the petrol tank was cleaned.

Also, there are couple other things I didn't mention since I thought they were unrelated. After the petrol tank was cleaned the followed started happening:

1) The FE display which used to be pretty accurate until then, started showing 70% of the actual value. I usually get 10kmpl FE if measured by fuel usage, but the FE display now says 7kmpl only.
2) The fuel gauge hits E way earlier, when I still have 20L in the tank.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 05:32   #1512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get the Fuel pump opened , there is a strainer in the tank , which gets clogged , and when you have. the pump out check for fuel flow as well . I got a GV AT for a friend which had the same issue , the cleaning of the strainer fixed it .
I had a similar issue with my diesel Pajero.

Car runs fine without issues in general, however noticed that it randomly cut off and would refuse to start when slowing down to stop, or when idling. It would show some trouble when trying to start after this episode. However, once I manage to start it and get going, it was like a non-issue. First stop after this issue is to top up the fuel, and needless to say it was like the issue never existed!

Observed a pattern where the issue always occurred around the 1/4 tank mark. Some searching on the Pajero forum and found that there is an in-tank fuel filter which is not part of regular service replacements. People who replaced this managed to resolve the issue. I bought the filter online, and did a DIY to replace it, which resolved the issue.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 08:46   #1513
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I drove from Bangalore to Udupi, about 400kms. Taking off in the morning at cold start was not a problem.

At the lunch break, I stopped for 40 minutes. This time I was prepared, I parked in reverse with open area in front so that I can take off and not stop for 100 meters or so.

When I started after lunch, the problem was back as expected. The accelerator had no effect for 20 seconds or so, but I kept the car moving in 1st gear constantly testing the accelerator. After 200 meters it came to life, and normalcy was established. Same had to be repeated when we took 30 minutes coffee break in the evening.

However, I had to stop many times in between because my son was throwing up due to ghat roads. However, I never switched off the engine in those break. Like a truck driver, I kept the engine running during those stops.

After reaching very close to home, I stopped for picking up some fruits. This time I didn't care if it didn't start. Only a 5-6 minutes break. The car started right away. So the pattern is very clear.
Old 8th February 2021, 09:29   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I start after a 30 minutes break, it starts stalling and struggles to hold the idle rpm

If I manage to keep it moving for 100ft, it becomes normal and I can keep driving.

The problem happens only after I have driven 10+ kms and if I stop the for more than 15 minutes. Then starting again will be a problem.

After 100 meters it was able to achieve normal breathing and I could drive another 110kms to home without any issue.

After reaching home I kept it idling again, no problem. I switched off the restarted again, not problem.
Do you have reference normal scan data of the Grand Vitara? Even now, you could get a scan done with the engine running normal, and note down the fuel rail pressure, delivery by each injector, and some other data like air flow, etc. More parameters noted, the better.

Then, simulate the condition with the car off for 30 minutes, and with the scanner in, start the car and see whats happening. I am sure something will show up.

I can suggest inspecting the following:

1. Fuel rail pressure regulator
2. Fuel return line back to the tank
3. Canister and its associated hoses

I don't suspect the fuel filter. If that were indeed clogged, the fuel delivery would be erratic or always bad.

Quote:
After the petrol tank was cleaned the followed started happening:

1) The FE display which used to be pretty accurate until then, started showing 70% of the actual value. I usually get 10kmpl FE if measured by fuel usage, but the FE display now says 7kmpl only.
2) The fuel gauge hits E way earlier, when I still have 20L in the tank.
I am strongly suspecting that your tank is going into vacuum. Please check the fuel return line to the tank.

Why I am suspecting this vacuum is because till the car runs fine without stopping, all is well. It is only when you leave it idle for 30 mins, the issue surfaces.

Next time this 30minute stop problem occurs, please open the gas tank cap, refit and see if the issue disappears.

This is turning out to be similar to the "Car doesn't start when I buy Vanilla Ice ceam" case.

Last edited by vigsom : 8th February 2021 at 09:39.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:53   #1515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get the Fuel pump opened , there is a strainer in the tank , which gets clogged , and when you have. the pump out check for fuel flow as well.
The car is at the Maruti workshop since 12pm. Fuel tank and pump filters are clean. So that is eliminated.

The workshop in-charge feels it must be electrical. More diagnosis will be done. Unfortunately they are unable to replicate the problem so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks