Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th June 2021, 13:37   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

Searched the forum and the rest of the internet but couldn't find much info so I thought I'd ask here; does anyone have any experience with the previous generation 2003-2006 GV XL-7? A friend and I are planning on buying a car to be shared between the two of us (purchase cost as well as maintenance), and I'm seeing a few really good examples going for 2 lacs in the used market. To me it seems like a god deal for a reliable, petrol, body on frame bruiser, or am I missing something here?
Old 19th June 2021, 14:54   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Searched the forum and the rest of the internet but couldn't find much info so I thought I'd ask here; does anyone have any experience with the previous generation 2003-2006 GV XL-7? A friend and I are planning on buying a car to be shared between the two of us (purchase cost as well as maintenance), and I'm seeing a few really good examples going for 2 lacs in the used market. To me it seems like a god deal for a reliable, petrol, body on frame bruiser, or am I missing something here?
My 2 cents

Pros
4 wheel drive with low ratio
V6
space
handling - for a body on frame its great
Very robust mechanicals if not abused - In stock form its won the Desert Storm in the capable hands of Sunny Sidhu

Cons
Lack of spares support - they are incredibly cheap in the USA and but shipping costs and customs remain a challenge
Thirsty
window winders pack up
Engine wiring harness deteriorates - especially the wiring that goes to the injectors
AC - Lack of cooling at standstill , not topicalised for India

Thanks to the NGT , I had to park mine at the garage - SO have a complete car for parts but alas cant buy another Xl7 ! to transfer them.

Last edited by wbd8779 : 19th June 2021 at 14:56.
wbd8779 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 19:52   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Even I've faced the same issue, but in my case, it was related to improper sealing of the back door against the beading. I got the door set properly in 2018, and all was well after that.
That beading was my first suspect. I had the door adjusted. Even after that the leakage persisted. And I had checked for wetness on the inner side of the beading. It was dry.
Now I am waiting for the lock-down restrictions to ease, so that I can take it out in the rains.
Old 19th June 2021, 21:50   #1549
BHPian

Oh how I rue the NGT looking at these pics ! You have touched a raw nerve today by asking about the XL7 @ishanian

Posting since the XL7 is the spiritual successor to our beloved GV . This is my largely decent 2003 model V6 a couple of days before it had its 15th birthday .

Mods pls delete the pics if off topic
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-31641951_10216475712588529_5864576391541948416_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by wbd8779 : 19th June 2021 at 21:51.
wbd8779 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 04:33   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
My 2 cents
Pros
space
handling - for a body on frame its great
Very robust mechanicals if not abused - In stock form its won the Desert Storm in the capable hands of Sunny Sidhu

Cons
Lack of spares support - they are incredibly cheap in the USA and but shipping costs and customs remain a challenge
AC - Lack of cooling at standstill , not topicalised for India
Thanks a lot for the speedy response. Never knew we had GV XL-7 owners here as well. Could you comment on the 3rd row of seats? Are they useful for folks upto 5'8"? I read that the 2nd row slides forward and back if one were to slide it forward would there be enough room to seat someone in both the 2nd and 3rd rows? Also with the 2nd row slid all the way back, is there actually a lot of legroom? Thanks for the tip on the aircon I'm surprised they didn't get that right. Is there any quick fix/easy upgrade possible to rectify the weak AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Oh how I rue the NGT looking at these pics ! You have touched a raw nerve today by asking about the XL7 @ishanian
I'm sorry about that. Even I feel like the NGT ban was quite unfortunate especially for well maintained cars like yours that could easily serve the owner well for several more years and impact the environment far less harmfully than forcing the owner to buy a new car. I hope some day we actually get people qualified in the automotive and transport field, to run the show here. Our roadways and transportation laws all make absolutely no sense at the moment

Most Viewed