Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2021, 10:14   #1561
Team-BHP Support

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

What about the dash kit for installing the double DIN HU?

Something like this: https://www.carid.com/2007-suzuki-gr...836394766.html

My current HU is this one, from MMI. It may not have required the dash kit.

Has anyone installed double DIN HU on their GV here?
Old 7th November 2021, 11:09   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I had installed a 1 din in 2015 and then changed it to 2 din Blaupunkt in 2019. Totally DIY.
In 2015 a dash kit similar to the Metra was available from a Mumbai based online seller. It consisted of a metal frame, front plastic cover and a cutout frame. Only issue was that only two holes in the metal frame matched the tapped holes on the HU. I got around it with a lot of double sided tape.

I have a feeling your MMI unit can also be dismantled and the fascia bracket used. If not ask around.
Use a SX4 wiring adaptor to match the connector on your HU.
Download the wiring pdf if you need to check the pinouts of the connector.
GV AUDIO WIRING.pdf
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-metal-frame.jpg
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-metal-frame-2.jpg
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-final.jpg
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-mobile-holder.jpg
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-view-mobile.jpg
sridhar-v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:37   #1563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
In 2015 a dash kit similar to the Metra was available from a Mumbai based online seller.
How much was it? The Metra is available on Amazon USA site. Will cost $35 to get it to India.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7953.../dp/B0014NIFD6

Last edited by Samurai : 7th November 2021 at 12:38.
Old 7th November 2021, 13:23   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
How much was it? The Metra is available on Amazon USA site. Will cost $35 to get it to India.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7953.../dp/B0014NIFD6
I don't remember the exact figure. But it was between 1.5k & 2.5K (in 2015). So 35 greenbacks seems ok. Add 40-60% as customs charges if it is by courier. In my experience, circa 2019, Postal or International Speed Post (both delivered by your postman)items below Rs.5000 were coming in free of customs.

Take a few days and see if you get a full size metal one like mine. The advantage is that it has a rear support boss:-
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-inkedmetal-frame-2_li-markedup.jpg

This goes and rests in a mating flange in the dashboard frame.:-
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-dashboard-rear-support.jpg

So you will not have rattling of the head unit on rough roads.
Alternatively see if your existing MMI unit can be dismantled.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 7th November 2021 at 13:37.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 21:24   #1565
BHPian

A friend reached out to me with info on an adaptor he recently ordered and used from Banagood.
https://www.banggood.in/2Din-Car-Ste...N&rmmds=search
Check it out.
Old 7th November 2021, 21:39   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what are my options these days?
I'd suggest either the Pioneer DMH-Z5290BT or the Sony XAV-AX5500. There was short supply of the Pioneer a few months ago, but not sure about the current status. A word of caution here - I understand warranty on the head units doesn't apply when the stuff is purchased on line. Therefore I'd recommend buying this off a local store who'd anyways give a bill and warranty.

Bhpian @adityasiera has shared his experience with installing a Pioneer Z5290BT here.

Quote:
What about the dash kit for installing the double DIN HU?The Metra is available on Amazon USA site.https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7953.../dp/B0014NIFD6
The kit that you've mentioned is the same that I procured in Aug-2017 for my Grand Vitara. Back then, I got the following:

1.Metra dash kit (tag no. 95-7953 black) for USD 08
2.Metra axxess aswc-1 steering interface - for USD 30
3.Metra 70-1721 wiring harness - USD 05

No.2 is a universal interface but setting it up with a Kenwood Head Unit was quite a pain; the volume down doesn't work at times. However, volume up, mode, mute all work well. The stereo wiring harness for any Maruti or Honda should work seamlessly with the Grand Vitara as the Metra part number applies to Suzuki, Honda and Acura.

Here is a pic of the Kenwood DDX415BT in my Grand Vitara. This is a 6" double din head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-gv_doubledin.jpg  

Last edited by vigsom : 7th November 2021 at 21:58.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 23:54   #1567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The kit that you've mentioned is the same that I procured in Aug-2017 for my Grand Vitara. Back then, I got the following:

1.Metra dash kit (tag no. 95-7953 black) for USD 08
2.Metra axxess aswc-1 steering interface - for USD 30
3.Metra 70-1721 wiring harness - USD 05
Thanks for sharing the tips on phone. As discussed, I decided to skip the steering interface. Not worth the headache. I ordered the dash kit from Amazon USA (₹2587) and the wiring harness from Amazon India (₹1131).

I'll see where I can pickup the HU offline in Udupi.

Edit: Unfortunately, the dash kit will take one month to arrive, although it was already picked up by Aramex. Do they transport it by ocean?

Last edited by Samurai : 8th November 2021 at 08:49.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:20   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the tips on phone. As discussed, I decided to skip the steering interface. Not worth the headache. I ordered the dash kit from Amazon USA (₹2587) and the wiring harness from Amazon India (₹1131).

Edit: Unfortunately, the dash kit will take one month to arrive, although it was already picked up by Aramex. Do they transport it by ocean?
This is a reliable website who sell genuine stuff with GST bill having the Headunit serial number mentioned.I had purchased Sony XAV5000 from them a couple of years ago and it is working fine.

https://www.motorogue.in/products/st...receivers.html
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 18:09   #1569
Team-BHP Support

BTW, if anyone wants OEM double din, here is the true blue OEM part.

39511-66J00-000

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-b4a4705s960.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2094705s960.jpg

Good luck finding it in India.

You can import it from these sites:

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-3951166j00-31654922/

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...?shipper=japan

Last edited by Samurai : 12th November 2021 at 23:51.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:56   #1570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I ordered the dash kit from Amazon USA (₹2587) and the wiring harness from Amazon India (₹1131).

Well, the dash kit was delivered today morning, that is 3 weeks ahead of ETA, just took 8 days. I am not complaining. The quality looks very good, very hard plastic. This is made in USA.

The wiring harness was delivered from Amazon.in, but I returned it since MASS told me it is not required. The Sony HU comes with it. Also the Sony 5500 is available with my local MASS, so warranty and installation is taken care off. It will happen next week when I am back in Udupi.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-dash2.jpg

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-dash1.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 15th November 2021 at 11:58.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:22   #1571
BHPian

Dear All
I'm posting after some time today. My Grand Vitara Nov 2007 is in perfect shape with no issues at all. I was just worried that it has only one year of life left as it completes 15 years in Nov 2022.
The good news is that My Grand Vitara has a new Sibling, a Grand Vitara 2.4 Manual, Manufactured in 2010, Registered in 2012, Validity till July 2027. It has done 55,000 kms.
Got it from Fellow Team-BHPian Kamlesh Naidu who is leaving the country.
Here is a picture of the two siblings, The DL No is 2007 and the HR No is 2012 with my Toyota Camry in between.
The New Grand Vitara 2.4 is pretty well maintained, but there are a few minor niggles which I plan to get fixed over the next few months.
Styler
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2gvs.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 17th November 2021 at 21:25.
Styler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:49   #1572
BHPian

Quote:

A fellow senior Team-BHPian Rajiv posted in our NCR Grand Vitara Group that he got a Gomechanic 2gb ram 16gb rom 9 inch Android system installed. He reports it works awesome, google maps are super smooth. Steering control setup was breeze and configurable to any function. Good thing is that no frame is needed. It juts out a little but looks cool. It costed him Rs 13500 including fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-stereo1.jpeg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-stereo2.jpeg  

Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 23:11   #1573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
A fellow senior Team-BHPian Rajiv posted in our NCR Grand Vitara Group that he got a Gomechanic 2gb ram 16gb rom 9 inch Android system installed.
Naah, I need a factory HU look, and not something that obviously looks out of place.

Even among those, at first I had considered android HUs. However, I was told that android was never designed for automotive applications. Better go with regular HU with android auto and apple carplay. Notice how none of the OEM units come with android?

Meanwhile, I picked up a Blaupunkt DH2.1 reverse camera from a shop near my home.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 17:58   #1574
BHPian

So Guys I am going to trouble you all for advice as I get my Grand Vitara 2.4 to perfect condition. Here are some issues that I am trying to tackle immediately.

1. The previous owner reported that the Grand Vitara has been having a Parasitic Current issue which drains the battery when the Grand Vitara is not used for a some days.
My first thought was that it could be some accessory like the Reverse Camera causing the parasitic current. The owner was pretty sure it was not any accessory as he had powered accessories only through the Cigarette Lighter socket, and that powers off when the key is removed.
Just as I drove back and parked the Grand Vitara I got a clue as to what could be causing it. When the Engine is switched off and the Key removed I heard a constant clicking sound from behind the Meters on the dashboard. The sound stops if any door is opened or if the ignition is turned on. I checked again after an hour of parking and the sound was still coming.
On investigating further I noticed that with each click the needles on the meters - Fuel Gauge etc move a little. It could be sound of some Relay or something. Any Clues ? I'm attaching here a short recording of the sound.

2. 2 Power Window switches on the the driver door panel are not working. My neighborhood mechanic had a look and he felt that the Switch panel of the new Swift is pretty similar. We will try that. Has anybody tried sourcing the Power Windows Switch Panel ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip GrandVitaraSound.zip (103.4 KB, 7 views)
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:11   #1575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
2gb ram 16gb rom 9 inch Android system installed
Quote:
need a factory HU look, and not something that looks out of place. I had considered android HUs. However, I was told that android was never designed for automotive applications. Better go with regular HU with android auto and apple carplay. Notice how none of the OEM units come with android?
I agree with you, Samurai. While the bigger screen might still be fine with many of us, the long term reliability of an Android Unit is questionable. Agreed, if someone gets bored with a unit in 3 years, there is always an in-vogue unit available as a replacement for very less.

I came very very close to installing a Sonilex Android Head Unit but stayed away as I said - android head units will most likely go the mid-budget phones way - hang after sometime. Also, I'm convinced that touchscreen HUs have to be built robust.

All touchscreen HUs from leading brands do their duty well for many years. I have experienced two Kenwood touchscreen ones and one JVC conventional double din HU and they both performed flawlessly even past 7 years. My only complaint with entry level touchscreens is their poor on-board amplifier.

Quote:
When the Engine is switched off and the Key removed I heard a constant clicking sound from behind the Meters on the dashboard. the needles on the meters - Fuel Gauge etc move a little.
Was the cluster meter ever removed for some job, say, when the dash was opened for AC service? I'd approach this issue by first finding out exactly where the noise is coming from and then tracing the path. I listened to the noise several times. You could try an experiment

1. With the windows down, please operate the door lock and unlock switch a few times and see if the noise perists. Also, with the door closed, observe if the door lock moves a bit in sync with this sound.

2. Disconnect the battery negative, remove the cluster meter console, uncouple the wiring coupler, recouple after 2 mins, connect the battery negative back, and then see.

Last edited by vigsom : 18th November 2021 at 19:21.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed