Team-BHP - The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/30922-first-grand-vitara-team-bhp-11.html)

Mag, The GV is a Completely Built Unit from Japan.
The build quality is leagues ahead of the cheapskate Maruti.

Today I was driving on NH-17, for some unknown reason I looked down at the odometer. It was showing 1000, the initial run-in over!clap:

I got so excited, I announced it to all the passengers in the car. My parents and aunt in the back seat didn't understand the excitement. But the old man in the front seat shared my joy. In the first 20 days of ownership, I have been driving very sedate, always shifting to higher gear as soon as possible, etc. In Baleno I always used to drive one gear low. But here with GV I was more concerned with FE, so I was shifting too soon. So I continued driving like that. Finally the old man told me to quit straining the engine and shift down and keep it in the right power band.

After dropping the old man to the airport, I decided to drive hard the way back. Since I was alone, I could fully focus on the road and not on conversation. I tend to drive slow whenever I have company to talk. So I drove hard in the twist, passing every car in the front, the FE be damned. Now that the NH-17 has been fixed, I could rip on the highway too. I took some curves in 100Kmph and it was solid as a rock, no bodyroll, the car was planted and sounded effortless. The 4th gear is very responsive. The old man rode shot gun in GV for 375Kms within 47 hours and his verdict: Very Compact, Not Sluggish. Expect lots of photos when he finishes his post-processing.

Samurai, so the GV is all set to be unleashed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 637168)
Finally the old man told me to quit straining the engine and shift down and keep it in the right power band.

OT: I feel that's the way a car should be driven. Letting it be in the power-band will mean that sufficient power is available at all times - at any speed / gear. Esp when one wants to acclerate suddenly. Also, the lesser strain on the engine would mean the engine will perform at it's optimal best for a much longer time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 637168)
Expect lots of photos when he finishes his post-processing.

wow thats great news. just can't wait to see the photographs.

Cool write-up and you sound more like a kid than a married man. In some ways it is good as it shows you love your new vehicle. :)

All the following were shot by Rudra using his Canon gear and my modest tripod which could barely hold the heavy equipment.

Parked in front of my office.

On the way to Agumbe ghat

Somewhere between Hebri and Karkala

Sunset reflection on the GV parked 40ft from my office room.

Meanwhile I decided to shoot the shooter. The hunter became the hunted. Ahem, I am talking photography here.:)

Rudra tracking a white rhino in the African grasslands....

Had to chip in with my homage! lol... beautiful pictures, beautiful landscape. more grasslands are expected - keep shooting.

ol man has done it again!! great car great images :) best photographed GV !!

Wow nice shots there!
and did i read "NH 17 is fixed" ??? if yes thats a very good news:)

Rudra, the ad streak shows!

Samurai / Rudra,

No pics of the rear ? Please post some if you fellows have any ! I want to see the rear !

@ Samurai - you sure are lucky to live in a place where you can park the car on the road and then take your own sweet time shooting it - man thats awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 638064)
No pics of the rear ? Please post some if you fellows have any ! I want to see the rear !

Look at the first post on this thread, there are many rear shots by me, but none from Rudra.

Quote:

@ Samurai - you sure are lucky to live in a place where you can park the car on the road and then take your own sweet time shooting it - man thats awesome.

At least in 3 locations Rudra sat on the road for 15-20 minutes as if it was a bed. The rare vehicles that passed by gave him a wide berth.:D

Excellent pics once again. The best photographed GV in India! clap:
Quote:

http://samurai.smugmug.com/photos/225272990-L.jpg
This is from the off-roading thread.

Excellent Pics Samurai San thanks to the great location and even greatest photographer.

Abhi

Ok, time for mileage report.

On Friday I filled 53 liter of regular petrol (full tank) since the needle was at E. Looks like GV retains 15lt of petrol when it hits E on the 65lt capacity petrol tank. The mileage meter showed 7.8kmpl and I got 8.2kmpl actual by dividing 435kms on the trip meter. This included mostly inner town roads, my 1Km commute to work and some highway driving. Looks like the mileage meter shows little less than the actual. I filled just before leaving my town for the airport to pickup Rudra, and reset the trip meter and mileage meter.

On Sunday when I reached home after dropping Rudra back to the airport, the trip meter read 513Kms. Today I filled again at 519kms, and it drank up to 52.7lts. The mileage meter showed 9.6kmpl, but I got 9.85kmpl. This time the driving was mostly two lane highway driving at 40-80kmph, some low gear driving in Agumbe ghat, some off-roading, some city drives, etc.

I still have no idea how much FE I can get in expressways and 4 lane highways. I haven't seen one in nearly two years, except in my US trip.