Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 13:31   #1636
Team-BHP Support

Re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer! View Post
Thanks for your response Sridhar-v sir.. Will chat. Sorry, though i tried, couldn't send a PM to you. Seek your help, in sending a PM to me with your contact details & will connect with you.
As a newbie you can't contact BHPians over PM. You will have to discuss the issues on the forum, that is the purpose of the forum.
Old 26th July 2022, 14:33   #1637

Understood, Thanks. I have already highlighted the issue in the post above and got the response. Hence request Sridhar-v sir to share the MASS FNG details to get the issues checked by the expert and attend the problems.
Old 31st July 2022, 20:38   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer! View Post
Understood, Thanks. I have already highlighted the issue in the post above and got the response. Hence request Sridhar-v sir to share the MASS FNG details to get the issues checked by the expert and attend the problems.
I am travelling and will be back in town after a week or so.
It is Manas Auto near Rajaram Bridge. Currently they are in a bit of a mess as all sheds along the river were demolished. They are moving to a proper place nearby.
The supervisor there is Mr. Salim. Mobile: 8308343007. Contact him giving my reference. Show the vehicle to him and get a initial diagnosis.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:04   #1639
BHPian

Some updates from my side:-

1. In April 2022, after the repainting, I had applied to the RTO for endorsement of colour change. There seems to be an issue in their software as a result of which the application is stuck in a deep limbo.
My agent has decided to reprocess the whole thing afresh and club the 15 years renewal with this.
BTW the Green Tax for the 15 years renewal is only Rs. 3000. Other official charges are also low. I will update on the exact amounts as things progress.

2. I was facing some play in the steering column. This was more so during hard braking at very slow speeds. I got the steering rack mounting bushes changed. A lot of the play has gone away. But some random play still pops up now and then. I suspect the universal joint of the column or the lower arms' bushings. I am investigating.

3. Over the last month I faced 3 instances of the car not starting. On the first occurrence I suspected the battery and had it charged fully. It started perfectly after that. The problem resurfaced when i was starting the car at the gymn. I waited paitently and it started after a couple of minutes.
Batterywala tested the battery and gave it a clean chit of health. Subsequently I did a 1800 kms road trip without any problem.
2 days after returning the problem resurfaced. Again I waited for a couple of minutes and the car started after a few cranks.
The battery is not the problem. I suspect something is amiss with the fuel delivery system. As the engine runs smoothly and there were no hiccups during the trip the most likely culprit is some back pressure developing in the Pollution Control system - either the valve or the canister. It could also be due to the EGR Valve sticking. Any ideas on what else could be going wrong?
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 23:06   #1640
BHPian

Formally introducing my dual tone 2011 Grand Vitara 2.4 MT.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-img_1307.jpg

I've owned it for a more than 4 years now and covered close to 25k kms. It's been a long journey of rebuilding the GV back to factory specs (or better) and multiple people on the forum have helped during the journey, some actively and some with the great content - thank you. A special shout out to @Jaggu, @dip27in and @Leoshashi for helping over the phone and on long whatsapp chats.

The project goal isn't complete yet and I hope to document the journey in a thread. Soon!
cooldip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 15:28   #1641
RJM
BHPian

@cooldip congrats! the GV looks to be in a mint condition, I own one and it is one of the most underrated cars considering what it is capable of.
RJM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 06:47   #1642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The battery is not the problem. I suspect something is amiss with the fuel delivery system. As the engine runs smoothly and there were no hiccups during the trip the most likely culprit is some back pressure developing in the Pollution Control system - either the valve or the canister. It could also be due to the EGR Valve sticking. Any ideas on what else could be going wrong?
Open the ECM and Throttle body wiring connector and use WMD40 liberally. Some oxidised pin connection could be culprit.

Had similar problem in my GV it disappeared after doing this with wiring connectors.

Though in my case the car would sputter to halt and would start normally as if nothing had ever happened after few minutes of rest or quick ECM reset by disconnecting battery ground and reconnecting after could of minutes.

Hope that helps.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 09:33   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Open the ECM and Throttle body wiring connector and use WMD40 liberally. Some oxidised pin connection could be culprit.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tip. The current updates are as follows:-
1. I got the EGR valve, Fuel rail pressure valve and Purge valve Assly cleaned. There was a lot of carbon build up in the EGR valve. The other two valves were reported as clean.
2. Last week, a few days after the cleaning, the starting issue cropped up once.
3. Yesterday I applied WD40 to the ECM wiring connectors. The Throttle body connector was jammed tight. So I will take the vehicle to the MASS to get that done.
One point I noticed is that this issue only crops up after the vehicle has been given a wash by the bucket and rag method.Could it be the GV does not like to be kept clean?
On a more serious note could choking of the vapour canister be a culprit?
I will post updates as they happen.
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:27   #1644
BHPian

Some updates on my 15 years renewal:-

The process of endorsement of colour change was stuck due to software issues at the RTO office. RTO folks escalated the matter to NIC(National Informatics Center) and the activity was deleted from the system.

The agent restarted the whole process by combining it with 15 years renewal. Total official charges were as follows:
Green tax : Rs. 3000
Renewal fee : Rs. 5000
Inspection, Smart Card & Postage: 1050.
In addition a penalty of Rs. 1000 was levied for delay. The delay was not due to my fault, but we decided to pay up.

The vehicle has been inspected and the process is moving through the stages. Hoping that there wont be any problems this time.

Member VIGSOM told me that the charges for Tamil Nadu renewal is 1800. This was recently reduced from 6200.

So 15 years renewal green tax is not costly. And it makes eminent sense to hold on to the car for 5 more years as nothing currently available (at reasonable prices) comes close to it in capabilities.
sridhar-v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:33   #1645
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
And it makes eminent sense to hold on to the car for 5 more years as nothing currently available (at reasonable prices) comes close to it in capabilities.
For those who live outside NCR, this is absolutely correct. There is nothing really this side of Lexus SUVs (way, way beyond my budget) that provide petrol power plus AWD or 4x4 plus reliability that can match the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I've been on the hunt because my GV's registration ends in a few months. The replacement choices are depressing. Finally booked an outrageously priced petrol Fortuner, going well beyond my original budget, mainly for its ground clearance and reliability, but of course it's only a 4x2, no 4x4 option in petrol . So those who own a GV and want something similar, please hold on to it, and hope our choices improve in the coming years. May be Nissan will bring in the new Xtrail, which looks quite good, but it'll be years before it reaches our shores, considering it'll reach Australia only later this year.
R_R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 01:46   #1646
BHPian

Good evening everyone. I’ve been considering installing a snorkel on my GV (2.0 MT). Would be grateful for any help in finding where I can get one from please. Have asked around a bit bit can’t find one yet.

Many thanks!
Old 9th October 2022, 20:06   #1647
RJM
BHPian

Have tried already, couldn't find one, but there is a solution, go for a steel tube tyre same as gurkha, its a custom job but worth it. the only other option is to import.
RJM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 21:26   #1648
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I've been on the hunt because my GV's registration ends in a few months.
Hi R_R,
Is your GV sold? If planning to sell, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
HTC
Old 10th October 2022, 11:14   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Biswas View Post
Good evening everyone. I’ve been considering installing a snorkel on my GV (2.0 MT).
As far as I recall Safari has a snorkel.

Please check with the ARB importer in Bangalore. I'm sure he can import one on full payment
cooldip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 23:08   #1650
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Is your GV sold? If planning to sell, please let me know.
Planning to sell, as soon as I have some information about when my Fortuner will be available. Could be in the next couple of weeks, or latest by November. You can DM me if you want details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks